Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why Are The Refs Out To Get Us?

Maybe I'm trippin', but am I the only one who feel like we don't get the calls that we should get and get flagged wayyy too much for stuff we shouldn't be flagged for? 

I mean, it's really quite obvious.  Rather telling and somewhat concerning.  A couple of examples being... Know what. It don't matter.  I can think of, am thinking of so many instances in that 4th preseason game, but no matter what we can identify, this is the league's way of sayin that they hate our brash swag. Whatever.

We just gone hafta play thru it. Forget it
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-31-2018, 08:50 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: Maybe I'm trippin', but am I the only one who feel like we don't get the calls that we should get and get flagged wayyy too much for stuff we shouldn't be flagged for? 

I mean, it's really quite obvious.  Rather telling and somewhat concerning.  A couple of examples being... Know what. It don't matter.  I can think of, am thinking of so many instances in that 4th preseason game, but no matter what we can identify, this is the league's way of sayin that they hate our brash swag. Whatever.

We just gone hafta play thru it. Forget it

The flag on Cooke was bad, but I have a feeling that the refs have been advised to call a penalty when in doubt, rather than to let it go unnoticed. They picked up the flag on Blair's strip sack, so give and take, I reckon.

The DB tripping Crockett on a would-be TD pass from Lee was pretty blatant as well.

Alas - it doesn't start mattering until next Sunday.

And when Meeks was sailing for the pick downfield and just got grabbed but yet, he was called for the foul. Or when The bucs breached the line and the play wasn't called dead (or flagged) and Tanner lost a life. Or When Wynn caught that ball inbounds...

Took bad The Turk can’t visit the refs... They should have cuts as well!

Yeah, that was just like AFC championship game. What did the Bucs have, one penalty for five yards? I'm just hoping we got that kind of game out of the way in a contest that doesn't matter, instead of it appearing in a game that matters the most.

(08-31-2018, 01:18 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Yeah, that was just like AFC championship game. What did the Bucs have, one penalty for five yards? I'm just hoping we got that kind of game out of the way in a contest that doesn't matter, instead of it appearing in a game that matters the most.

I almost took it all as a threat, it was so obvious.  Like, "hey... hey now.  this is what its gonna be if u guys don't put on cap on that swag... oh, and uh..., tell ur boy Ramsey; this is on him"...  It's like the refs trying to strong arm gangsta debo us into taming ourselves.  Or that Blue Chip Flame we got a blazin' right now.  But they can't stop us.  -(Jalen, please don't put a target on our backs)-

Jags will start having calls go their way now that they are in the national spotlight. Last year wasn't "your year" per the nfl.
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(09-01-2018, 08:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Jags will start having calls go their way now that they are in the national spotlight. Last year wasn't "your year" per the nfl.

I dunno.

As long as Brady and Big Ben are playing and the Chargers are in Los Angeles, we will never have favored franchise status.

To the contrary, I could see the league setting us up as the new villains.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-01-2018, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 08:28 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Jags will start having calls go their way now that they are in the national spotlight. Last year wasn't "your year" per the nfl.

I dunno.

As long as Brady and Big Ben are playing and the Chargers are in Los Angeles, we will never have favored franchise status.

Maybe you guys can "talk brady into retirement" week 2.

(09-01-2018, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

I dunno.

We just need to get Marrone on the Competition Committee. That worked for the tacks during the Fisher era.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-01-2018, 10:19 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 09:05 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I dunno.

We just need to get Marrone on the Competition Committee. That worked for the tacks during the Fisher era.

I don't believe that was it. Jeff Fisher was an absolute master at working the officials during the game. He didn't get loud or indignant, just persistent and resolute. He engaged the refs early and made his points known. He has a passive aggressive demeanor that works well when rallying the refs to his side of the rulings. I always had a grudging respect for him because of his ability to do that, especially when he did it on our turf.

(09-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:

If I am right about the Patriots' LT situation, I could see Brady being closer to retirement after the first two weeks.  I think he takes a physical beating against Houston and us.

Both the Texans and the Jaguars have a LOT of quality pass rushers who could pose various matchup issues for their (Patriots') tackles.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 10:58 AM by Nashville.Dave.)

(09-01-2018, 10:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 10:19 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: We just need to get Marrone on the Competition Committee. That worked for the tacks during the Fisher era.

I don't believe that was it. Jeff Fisher was an absolute master at working the officials during the game. He didn't get loud or indignant, just persistent and resolute. He engaged the refs early and made his points known. He has a passive aggressive demeanor that works well when rallying the refs to his side of the rulings. I always had a grudging respect for him because of his ability to do that, especially when he did it on our turf.

Maybe his committee position gave him some leverage during games as well. I never thought much about it, seeing coaches arguing with the refs about a call, until i heard someone say he was laying the groundwork to get a noncall later in the game. It works for sure. Put a little doubt in the mind of the ref, maybe he will think too much before throwing his flag. 
Oh and Mularkey sucked at it.

(09-01-2018, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Maybe you guys can "talk brady into retirement" week 2.

If I am right about the Patriots' LT situation, I could see Brady being closer to retirement after the first two weeks.  I think he takes a physical beating against Houston and us.

Both the Texans and the Jaguars have a LOT of quality pass rushers who could pose various matchup issues for their (Patriots') tackles.

I can hear it now.  "Is Brady washed up"  "the pats are 0-2, are they done" oh we can hope

(09-01-2018, 10:54 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 10:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't believe that was it. Jeff Fisher was an absolute master at working the officials during the game. He didn't get loud or indignant, just persistent and resolute. He engaged the refs early and made his points known. He has a passive aggressive demeanor that works well when rallying the refs to his side of the rulings. I always had a grudging respect for him because of his ability to do that, especially when he did it on our turf.

Maybe his committee position gave him some leverage during games as well. I never thought much about it, seeing coaches arguing with the refs about a call, until i heard someone say he was laying the groundwork to get a noncall later in the game. It works for sure. Put a little doubt in the mind of the ref, maybe he will think too much before throwing his flag. 

(09-01-2018, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If I am right about the Patriots' LT situation, I could see Brady being closer to retirement after the first two weeks.  I think he takes a physical beating against Houston and us.

I can hear it now.  "Is Brady washed up"  "the pats are 0-2, are they done" oh we can hope

I should have added that Fisher's job was easier when gaming the refs against the likes of milquetoast Mularkey (when he was with us) and 'whatever dude' Del Rio.

(09-01-2018, 10:52 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If I am right about the Patriots' LT situation, I could see Brady being closer to retirement after the first two weeks.  I think he takes a physical beating against Houston and us.

Thing is, in my eyes it wouldn't be a knock against Brady.

Yes he is 41, and the laws of football physics apply to everyone, including Brady.  But I haven't seen any discernible drop in his level of play long after most guys have ended their careers.

But the thing with Brady is that as a general rule, he has had exceptional blind side protection for his entire career.

He went from Matt Light to Nate Solder.  There might have been the occasional game (Baltimore or Denver in the playoffs) where they didn't protect him well and he got roughed up, but not once has he had an entire season where Pats fans had to lament having a turnstile at LT, or where they've had to constantly adjust their routes and protections to adjust for liabilities at T.

I think that's why his skills have not seemed to erode the way most players his age have.  I think that's why they've had so much success with 4-5 WR sets.  I think that's why they have enabled their TEs to flourish as receiving threats as opposed to having to stay to help in pass protection.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM by homebiscuit.)

(09-01-2018, 11:13 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Thing is, in my eyes it wouldn't be a knock against Brady.

Yes he is 41, and the laws of football physics apply to everyone, including Brady.  But I haven't seen any discernible drop in his level of play long after most guys have ended their careers.

But the thing with Brady is that as a general rule, he has had exceptional blind side protection for his entire career.

He went from Matt Light to Nate Solder.  There might have been the occasional game (Baltimore or Denver in the playoffs) where they didn't protect him well and he got roughed up, but not once has he had an entire season where Pats fans had to lament having a turnstile at LT, or where they've had to constantly adjust their routes and protections to adjust for liabilities at T.

I think that's why his skills have not seemed to erode the way most players his age have.  I think that's why they've had so much success with 4-5 WR sets.  I think that's why they have enabled their TEs to flourish as receiving threats as opposed to having to stay to help in pass protection.

He sure looked sharp against the Giants in preseason game #3. And as much as we love to hate the guy (and hate to love him), Brady will go out on his own terms. He is surely the GOAT.

(09-01-2018, 11:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 11:13 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thing is, in my eyes it wouldn't be a knock against Brady.

He sure looked sharp against the Giants in preseason game #3. And as much as we love to hate the guy (and hate to love him), Brady will go out on his own terms. He is surely the GOAT.
Absolutely right.

Until he has officially retired, he will always be a threat to any team he plays against.

I used to think he was the master of the dink and dunk...but then he got Moss and went crazy throwing deep.

He shattered that image of him.

Best of all time.

(09-01-2018, 09:58 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:

This is the plan. Do to him what we did to Dan Marino back in the day.

(09-01-2018, 11:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 10:54 AM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Maybe his committee position gave him some leverage during games as well. I never thought much about it, seeing coaches arguing with the refs about a call, until i heard someone say he was laying the groundwork to get a noncall later in the game. It works for sure. Put a little doubt in the mind of the ref, maybe he will think too much before throwing his flag. 

I should have added that Fisher's job was easier when gaming the refs against the likes of milquetoast Mularkey (when he was with us) and 'whatever dude' Del Rio.

As I recall, Del Rio's go to move against the refs was the famous 11 seconds of bulging eyed stare followed by throwing the headset. How could a ref resist that?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.