Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Le'Veon Bell

So the guy turns down essentially the Gurley deal, and now is losing game checks. I get it, but I don't.

He was offered to be paid $6mil more than the next RB, and turned it down. I understand he wants the guaranteed money, but thats not how Pittsburgh operates. AB didn't even get that. I dont know where his leverage to earn more than he was offered is. 

Plus, he's going to have another year of heavy usage (when he shows up) and getting there that late is a huge injury risk.

To the Jags benefit, if he holds out until week 10, his first game would be against us, maybe the week before. He won't be in game shape in that scenario.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not a fan of him on or off the field......I would tell him to sign the tender so we can trade you and you dont get fined a mil a week

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM by nhiverson.)

Well this is why we need to win now because this very well could happen with Ramsey, Yannick and Fournette

He should just sit out as long as he can then they will have to start him off slow instead of giving him 500 touches
No Fun

A team can only pay what they can afford to pay. The Steelers offered him a huge offer and he turned it down. He refuses to tell his teammates when or if he will return this year and he's putting himself above the team when he is under contract this season, to be paid a massive $14 million. I don't get it at all. I can see why his teammates are mad at him.

I mean, I understand he wants more. That is what it is.

But they aren't going to offer it. Come in, get your guaranteed $14mil and cash in next year. Or get hurt, and have that $14mil security.

Or lose about $8mil of it, come in late, possibly get hurt and never get another contract
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

He's going to get a very rude awakening when he hits the open market too. No one is going to offer a 27 year old RB with as much mileage as he has even as much as the Steelers have already offered him.

(09-06-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote: He's going to get a very rude awakening when he hits the open market too. No one is going to offer a 27 year old RB with as much mileage as he has even as much as the Steelers have already offered him.

Very true. He won't get a better offer.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-06-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote: He's going to get a very rude awakening when he hits the open market too. No one is going to offer a 27 year old RB with as much mileage as he has even as much as the Steelers have already offered him.

Cleveland says hold my beer.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(09-06-2018, 07:54 PM)EricC85 Wrote:

Cleveland says hold my beer.

Lol  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018, 08:06 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I'd like to se him get traded to Detroit honestly. They haven't had a 100 yard rusher in like 75 games

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-ste...121518049/

(09-06-2018, 08:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd like to se him get traded to Detroit honestly.  They haven't had a 100 yard rusher in like 75 games

For what its worth, they said the same about Wednesday
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Pitt may of offered a similar contract as Gurley, but reports were wayyyy less guaranteed $. Supposedly Pitt works this way. So what is Bell supposed to do? Take the deal with less guaranteed because it's the "Steelers" way? That's petty on the Steelers behalf. Just let the dude walk if you aren't going to pay him. A RB has a very limited time to make money. He will still get paid for the year if he plays 6 games, so he probably will just try and screw the Steelers back over by saying ok no guaranteed $ then I am going to do this. It's business and that is always forgotten since we are fans and passionate about it as a hobby to watch. Bell has the right to do whatever he wants in this case tbh.

(09-06-2018, 08:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd like to se him get traded to Detroit honestly.  They haven't had a 100 yard rusher in like 75 games

I really believe the Lions thought a premier RB would be there for their 2nd round pick, but there was a flurry of RB's taken in the 1st and the top of the 2nd round, so they panicked and took Kerryon Johnson out of need. IMO, they are gonna regret passing on Royce Freeman. I think he would've been a really good fit in Detroit. I think Johnson is more of a situational runner with LeGarrette Blount getting most, if not all of the goal line carries.

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 03:39 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

(09-06-2018, 08:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Pitt may of offered a similar contract as Gurley, but reports were wayyyy less guaranteed $. Supposedly Pitt works this way. So what is Bell supposed to do? Take the deal with less guaranteed because it's the "Steelers" way? That's petty on the Steelers behalf. Just let the dude walk if you aren't going to pay him.  A RB has a very limited time to make money. He will still get paid for the year if he plays 6 games, so he probably will just try and screw the Steelers back over by saying ok no guaranteed $ then I am going to do this. It's business and that is always forgotten since we are fans and passionate about it as a hobby to watch. Bell has the right to do whatever he wants in this case tbh.

Thats kind of a one sided, players way to look at it. It is a business, and businesses all run differently. I do agree, if he is unhappy with the guarantees then he should walk. If Bell sits though, he hurts himself most. You are still going into FA at 27, got fined to death on the $14m you were about to make, and you are likely going to get a lower offer in FA with probably the same/a little more in guarantees.

People forget MJD did the same thing and is advising Bell to hold out, how'd that work out for MJD?  It's not smart to hold out on the back end of your 20s into the regular season, for monetary and physical reasons. Holding out of camp sends the message, after that you are self sabotaging your team, and most importantly yourself. History is not kind to aging RBS who hold out. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000367627

(09-06-2018, 08:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Pitt may of offered a similar contract as Gurley, but reports were wayyyy less guaranteed $. Supposedly Pitt works this way. So what is Bell supposed to do? Take the deal with less guaranteed because it's the "Steelers" way? That's petty on the Steelers behalf. Just let the dude walk if you aren't going to pay him.  A RB has a very limited time to make money. He will still get paid for the year if he plays 6 games, so he probably will just try and screw the Steelers back over by saying ok no guaranteed $ then I am going to do this. It's business and that is always forgotten since we are fans and passionate about it as a hobby to watch. Bell has the right to do whatever he wants in this case tbh.

Why should the Steelers let him walk without any compensation?  Is he not under contract for this season?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

From a players perspective I agree that he needs to hold out for more gaurenteed money in a long term deal. But he also needs to understand how quickly thinks can turn. Just look at JPP. I would sign the franchise show up and make the 14 mil this year. Then I would get a better deal in FA. 

The only reason not to do this is if you think you might get worn out like MJD did. As long as he performs he will get paid. If he is not sure he can keep it up, then holding out for more guarenteed from Pittsburg might be the right thing.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(09-06-2018, 05:33 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: So the guy turns down essentially the Gurley deal, and now is losing game checks. I get it, but I don't.

He was offered to be paid $6mil more than the next RB, and turned it down. I understand he wants the guaranteed money, but thats not how Pittsburgh operates. AB didn't even get that. I dont know where his leverage to earn more than he was offered is. 

Plus, he's going to have another year of heavy usage (when he shows up) and getting there that late is a huge injury risk.

To the Jags benefit, if he holds out until week 10, his first game would be against us, maybe the week before. He won't be in game shape in that scenario.

Bell's offer was drastically different than Gurley's deal

Bell was only offered $10m guaranteed versus Gurley's $45m  

Pitt could run Bell into the ground this year and cut him next year and Bell's left high and dry.  Had Pitt offered Bell $45m guaranteed, he'd at least know Pitt was committed to him for 3 years (at $15m guaranteed per year) like the Rams are committed to Gurley.

The Steelers used Bell on 406 plays last year whereas the Rams utilized Gurley on 343 plays.   The Steelers don't give a crap about Bell's health and he knows it.

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

I’d bet Bell shows up on Saturday to ensure he gets paid. He’s not going to forfeit game checks. His actions are meant to discourage the team from running him into the ground this year, however I’d have to believe his lack of practicing will show up on game day and would negatively affect whatever contract he’s offered next year.

I haven’t heard anything about fines which could prevent Bell or at least discourage him from doing what he’s doing. Seems like a flaw in the design of the franchise tag contract if the team can’t fine him or maybe they can’t because he hasn’t actually signed the tender yet? So if he shows up on Saturday, signs and gets paid and tries doing this again next week, maybe they could fine him? That makes more sense and should be the case and if it is then Bell will show on Saturday and it’ll be the last we see of any demonstrations about his unhappiness with his situation.

I’m all for players using whatever leverage they have to get the most money they can as their window of prime earning years is small, but Bell doesn’t really have any leverage here. I think the players would be smart to try to negotiate more limits on the use of the franchise tag by teams in the next CBA, but Bell can’t do anything about that now. I just feel like this will be over on Saturday and the only thing Bell will have accomplished besides pissing off his teammates and fans is that he will have limited how much the Steelers use him in week 1. Hope it was worth it.

When did $14 million stop being a lot of money? How much more do they have to take from the fans before they are happy? IMO, this is a ridiculous holdout.

Someone above said that MJD is advising him. MJD? Really? Didn't he price himself out of Jacksonville and into football oblivion? Yeah, he's one to listen to.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Looks like he’s decided to cut off his nose to spite his face. His not showing up and signing the tender appears to be motivated moreso by having his feelings hurt and this is him getting his revenge rather than it being motivated by a keen business sense. If he holds out the entire year, he’s still under the franchise tag next year, right? So that means he will end this at some point during the season, likely at a point where he feels comfortable with the total number of touches he’d wind up with at the conclusion of the season. What if he comes back and gets his knee blown out? He’d probably regret missing out on the $855k per game he’s forfeiting at the moment. I hope he’s been a saver over his career to date. Otherwise, this move looks even more foolish than it already does.