Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leaked Google Video After Election

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/09/1...-election/

This video is so disturbing in so many ways. This is really scary stuff from a politically motivated corporation that controls information flow to the masses.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And this surprises you?
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(09-12-2018, 06:43 PM)The Drifter Wrote: And this surprises you?

Apparently jelly fish spine Sessions is looking into an investigation into FB, Twitter, and Google.

(09-12-2018, 07:07 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 06:43 PM)The Drifter Wrote: And this surprises you?

Apparently jelly fish spine Sessions is looking into an investigation into FB, Twitter, and Google.

those companies may be too big for their britches and maybe violating the Anti-trust Act and other regulations that prohibit anti-competitive business practices.
The law there has changed a lot over the years but even so there's probably not a provision that applies perfectly to what Google and Facebook are doing.
We will see. That's why we the people hire a government to do those kinds of things for us.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018, 09:45 PM by mikesez.)

I am surprised that any of this talk got as political as it did.
I've only been in the workforce for about 18 years but we always kept politics to a minimum, even in 2016.

I'm glad that Google seems to understand that their algorithms, which just feed people more and more of what they were already searching for, are creating isolated people who don't know what other people are experiencing as well as they used to.
Google seems hesitant to admit that your experience using their products may be different from your neighbors experience because of customized data that they have collected about you and your neighbor. In some ways this is good, but in other ways it is bad. They really should give everybody a switch that allows them to choose when they use Google products with all personalization and when they just use it with none, standard so to speak. That way we can have shared experience with our neighbors. So when I look up something about global warming I get the same top 10 results as my neighbor, for instance, if I choose to turn off personalization for that search.
But I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be looking in that direction they seem to think if they just come up with a better algorithm it will continue to customize stuff without pointing different people in different directions or amplifying stuff that is unreliable or fake. That's never going to happen. There will never be a fake news algorithm. It's going to take a human touch. Companies like Google either need to add a lot more humans to their Workforce to moderate things or they need to dial back all of the customization. Either way it's costly to Google. Costly enough that investigation AI seems cheap to them. But algorithms and AI won't save them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-12-2018, 09:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: I am surprised that any of this talk got as political as it did.
I've only been in the workforce for about 18 years but we always kept politics to a minimum, even in 2016.

I'm glad that Google seems to understand that their algorithms, which just feed people more and more of what they were already searching for, are creating isolated people who don't know what other people are experiencing as well as they used to.
Google seems hesitant to admit that your experience using their products may be different from your neighbors experience because of customized data that they have collected about you and your neighbor. In some ways this is good, but in other ways it is bad. They really should give everybody a switch that allows them to choose when they use Google products with all personalization and when they just use it with none, standard so to speak.  That way we can have shared experience with our neighbors. So when I look up something about global warming I get the same top 10 results as my neighbor, for instance, if I choose to turn off personalization for that search.
But I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be looking in that direction they seem to think if they just come up with a better algorithm it will continue to customize stuff without pointing different people in different directions or amplifying stuff that is unreliable or fake. That's never going to happen. There will never be a fake news algorithm. It's going to take a human touch.  Companies like Google either need to add a lot more humans to their Workforce to moderate things or they need to dial back all of the customization. Either way it's costly to Google. Costly enough that investigation AI seems cheap to them. But algorithms and AI won't save them.

Gw?  Please don't tell me ur one of those agcc guys are u?   I'm not emotionally ready for that right now.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018, 10:40 PM by mikesez.)

(09-12-2018, 09:53 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 09:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: I am surprised that any of this talk got as political as it did.

Google seems hesitant to admit that your experience using their products may be different from your neighbors experience because of customized data that they have collected about you and your neighbor. In some ways this is good, but in other ways it is bad. They really should give everybody a switch that allows them to choose when they use Google products with all personalization and when they just use it with none, standard so to speak.  That way we can have shared experience with our neighbors. So when I look up something about global warming I get the same top 10 results as my neighbor, for instance, if I choose to turn off personalization for that search.
But I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be looking in that direction they seem to think if they just come up with a better algorithm it will continue to customize stuff without pointing different people in different directions or amplifying stuff that is unreliable or fake. That's never going to happen. There will never be a fake news algorithm. It's going to take a human touch.  Companies like Google either need to add a lot more humans to their Workforce to moderate things or they need to dial back all of the customization. Either way it's costly to Google. Costly enough that investigation AI seems cheap to them. But algorithms and AI won't save them.

Gw?  Please don't tell me ur one of those agcc guys are u?   I'm not emotionally ready for that right now.

Just an example.  I refuse to change the topic.
My point is, if either of us want to use Google to look up that topic, if we use the same words in our search, we should get the same results in the same order.  If there's a "we think you'd be most interested in..." it could be presented separately with the ads. It should not see that you already searched for "Glenn Beck" or "Dennis Prager" and give you one set of results, then look at me and see I previously searched for "Bashar Al Assad" and "Vladimir Putin" recently and give me a different set of results.

We know that every time Kotite Google's "Trump" Google suggest "psychotherapists near you."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato