Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week In the AFC South-Week 2

Last week was a very good week for our beloved Jaguars.  First off, we held on to beat a talented Giants team on the road.   Then as most of us predicted, the Bengals beat the Colts in Andrew Luck's return to action.  The Patriots beat the Texans in Deshaun Watson's return to action.  But in a mild surprise, in a game made the longest in NFL history thanks to two lightning delays, the fish beat the loathsome and detestable tacks.  The tacks came out of that game banged up, losing stud recceiving TE Delanie Walker for the year, losing LT Taylor Lewan with a concussion (length unknown) and QB Marcus Mariota with an elbow (length unknown).  The results of these games left the defending AFC South Champion Jaguars in their rightful place atop the AFC South with a 1 game lead over the rest of the division.  Regarding my picks last week, I went 2-2.  Hardly the stuff of champions, but if that reflects what ends up happening for the rest of the year and the Jaguars repeat as divisional champs, I'll gladly take prognostication mediocrity for divisional supremacy.

On to this week's games....

Texans (0-1) at tacks (0-1)-The big pass rush game from the Texans' front 7 I expected last week never materialized.  Furthermore, Watson showed signs of rust, fumbling on the first play from scrimmage.  However, they are going up against an argonauts tacks team they destroyed last year when they (argos) were at full strength.  As I referenced above, Walker is out for the year, Lewan may not play, though it is looking like Mariota will.  Oh yeah, RT Conklin is out, still recovering fromn the torn ACL he suffered late last year.  I think Watson shakes off some of the rust, and so does the Texans' front 7, ruining the tacks' home opener.  Texans 24, tacks 13.

Colts (0-1) at Skins (1-0)-Colts' QB Andrew Luck returned to action and threw a whopping 53 passes.  That's a lot of work considering it was his throwing shoulder that was hurt.  However, it appears the colts did not attack downfield much, with his long pass being 26 yards.  But as encouraging for Colts fans to see luck back in action, I get the sense they won't score as much this week.  They still have problems defensively.  They will be on the road, on grass against a Skins team coming off a surprisingly easy win over the Cardinals.   Who knows if LT Castonzo will play and if so, how effective will he be?  Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over much.  Skins win 27-17.

Patriots (1-0) at Jaguars (1-0)-in the division's premier game, the Patriots come to Jacksonville in a rematch of last year's controversial AFC Championship game.  For the bulk of my football watching life, I have never hated the Patriots.  In fact, they've always been among my most favorite teams, going back to the Steve Grogan, Russ francis, John Hannah, Tim Fox, Raymond Clayborn days of the late 70s early 80s.  But as I've reflected on Jaguars' history, I realized perhaps I SHOULD despise the Pats.   We've beaten them exactly once since 1995, our inaugural year-the 1998 Wildcard playoff game.  It was between the Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick eras, when Pete Carroll was the coach.  Then QB Drew Bledsoe was out that game, and we went up against Scott Zolak.  Fred Taylor had a monster game, and the Jaguars won 25-10.  Every other game, regular season or post season, has resulted in a loss to these guys.  They have ended our post reason runs FOUR (4) times-twice in the AFC Championship game-including last year.  We managed to pressure Brady decently in Gillette stadium last year.  We'll have to do a lot more of that this year to stand a chance of beating them.  Gone is Nate Solder, replaced by 380 lb Trent Brown.  I'm thinking Ngakoue and Fowler will be tougher matchups for him than Clowney was last week.  Gone are Cooks, Amendola and Edelman (suspension).  The Patriots were down to 4 WRs on the roster until yesterday, when they signed former Browns first round pick Coleman.  They also have former Colts' first round bust Phillip Dorsett, who had a decent outing last week.  I expect them to use him the same way they used Cooks in last year's matchup.  But, stopping Gronk will be the key in coverage.  Offensively, Fournette is nursing what Marrone labeled a "minor" hamstring injury, and fournette himself said he could have returned to the game.  I'm no medical doctor, but I have my concerns, given how gingerly he walked to the sidelines. I think if given the blocking, Yeldon can be effective on a limited basis, but I'd rather have Fournette in the game.  I also have my concerns about the O-Line-concerns I did not have last January.  The whole line has to play better-Cam Robinson in particular, who had three penalties.  They have to open holes, eliminate the penalties and protect Bortles.  My concerns do not stop there.  The WRs did not seem to have a good game last week.  For the second time, Moncrief appeared to give questionable effort running a route.  Jaguars receivers dropped 3-4 passes early last week.  We have no room for error against the GOAT in Brady and a team like the Patriots.  Can we run the ball?  Can we pass the ball?  Can we protect the ball?  In the internal battle between my pessimist and my Jaguars homer, the Jaguars homer wins out, and the Jaguars pull out a cathartic win over the NEWLY LOATHSOME AND DETESTABLE Pats!!!!  Jaguars 23 Patriots 21.

Last week:  2-2
Overall:  2-2

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Texans
Skins
Jags

Last week 4-0
Overall 4-0
Season Prediction (made 4/2018) 11-5
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Tacks
Skins
Pats

Tacks better show up.
2-2 last wk
[Image: incredulous.gif]

3-1 last week, 3-1 overall.

My picks for the next several weeks, since I will be in China visiting relatives...

Week 2
Titans over Texans
Redskins over Colts
Patriots over Jaguars

Week 3
Eagles over Colts
Giants over Texans
Jaguars over Titans

Week 4
Jets over Jaguars
Titans over Eagles
Texans over Colts
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

4-0 so far. Titans, skins, jags.

I'm thinking Texans, skins, and Jaguars.

I'd love to see a texans tacks tie, maybe have both of them knock their best players out for a while so the jags get an easier road next week when they'll be spent from an epic clash with the Patriots. Texans win not because they're great but because the titans suck. Something like 24-13.

Colts showed what they are last week, a bad team hoping to be carried by their QB. Their problems continue. Something like 28-20 skins.

And for the Jaguars, I just have a feeling the pats are going to get caught off guard in Jax. Yes they played us last year and it was a close game, but I think the Jaguars will play better than they did then. I also think they see 13 points from the starting offense last week and think that's what they'll get again this week. I think the Jaguars held back a lot, but not this week. I'll go Jags 27-23.

3-1 so far.

2-2

Texans
Jags
Skins
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Texans
Skins
Jaguars
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

2-2 last week

Texans
Skins
Jags
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Texans
Skins
Jags

2-2 last week

4-0

Tinhorns
Skins
Jags
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

2-2 last week

Texans
Skins
Jags
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Tinhorns: tacks had a first week reality check and had some significant injuries.
Skins: clots defense has too many holes. However, if Luck gets hot this could easily go the other way.
Jags: I believe the Jags have had this game marked since the schedule was released. With that said, I also believe scheming and film study have been going on for weeks and been a priority even as week 1 was approaching. I suspect offense will look completely different. Defense is hyped! RIP pats O-line.

Last week:  2-2
Overall:  2-2
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Forgot to play last week:
Revised - tinhorns - after reading that piece about both Mariota and Gabbert playing, I have decided Vrabel is an idiot. Will no longer pick him.
Skins - looked good last week, this one feels the most shaky to me tho.
Jags - FULLL HOMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I didn't go last week but i wanna get in on this

Texans: I think the Walker injury is going to really handicap the tacks even if Marcus is able to play. Im going tinhorns pull off first divisional win of the year.
Skins: I wanted to pick the clots as a dark horse of sorts but I honestly think their D is such a dumpster fire that they are going to get rolled again this week.
Jags: This one is going to rely on our D but I think our entire team has a big enough chip on their shoulder from last year that there is really nothing that will get in their way of walking away with this W..... #MMWD

4-0 last week going full homer

This week:
Jags
tinhorns
Skins

Texans
Washington
Jaguars (If I can’t pick them this year, I will never be able to)

Last Week:
4-0

Overall:
4-0

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM by Deacon.)

Houston vs. Tennessee
Tennessee lost in the longest NFL game in memory, and maybe even history. In doing so, they lost three players for the game and one for the season. I think Tennessee is a good roster, but their questionable passing game just got put in the On Deck circle for 'bad'. Throw in a rookie Head Coach and I feel like they are in for a long season. Here's hoping for a few more completely painless and no long-term effect having season-ending injuries.

Houston by four

Indianapolis vs. Washington
No way is Washington that good, just not buying it. And I don't think Indy was that bad either but I could be wruh-wruh-wruh-wrong. I'm still not buying the Washington Defense so I think Indianapolis takes this one even though AP probably has himself a day. I'm hopeful that the tape of this game will allow for a pretty good gameplan when the boys line up against Indy in a few weeks.

Indianapolis by a number greater than zero.

Jacksonville vs. New England
While confidence abounds about the boys chances in this game, I've been jaded by these matchups to the point where I just assume New England will find a way to win. I expect Jacksonville to come out with a great game plan and move the ball well versus this team. Then for Belichik to do what Belichik does and adjust on the fly to the game and pull out a win. It's not what I want to happen, but it is what I think will happen.

New England by three. Damn you for making me write that.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2018, 12:11 PM by foo895. Edit Reason: Added text )

Jags
texans
colts

3-1 last week
3-1 overall

1-3 last week
1-3 overall

Texans over Titans
Redskins over Colts
Patriots over Jaguars
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.