Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John Kerry

Curious what people think about his backdoor Iranian negotiation tactics going on right now. Isn't this textbook Logan Act?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's not a violation of the Logan Act, which by the way is a silly law which hasn't been enacted in 160 years, never resulted in a conviction and may be unconstitutional. It's not a good look, but is it any worse than Senators drafting a letter to the Iranian government in an attempt to undermine Obama?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Traitor then, traitor now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes negotiation by unauthorized persons with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States.

The way I read the Logan act, it is a violation being committed by John Kerry
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(09-15-2018, 02:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Traitor then, traitor now.

When was then?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Momma always said you can never trust a man with two first names. Words to live by.

(09-15-2018, 02:23 PM)rollerjag Wrote: It's not a violation of the Logan Act, which by the way is a silly law which hasn't been enacted in 160 years, never resulted in a conviction and may be unconstitutional. It's not a good look, but is it any worse than Senators drafting a letter to the Iranian government in an attempt to undermine Obama?

I don't have an opinion about the Logan act but I agree that what John Kerry is doing is no worse than what Tom Cotton did.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-15-2018, 06:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 02:23 PM)rollerjag Wrote: It's not a violation of the Logan Act, which by the way is a silly law which hasn't been enacted in 160 years, never resulted in a conviction and may be unconstitutional. It's not a good look, but is it any worse than Senators drafting a letter to the Iranian government in an attempt to undermine Obama?

I don't have an opinion about the Logan act but I agree that what John Kerry is doing is no worse than what Tom Cotton did.

Mike you have gotten so much better but can you do one more favor please?  I am searching for what Tom Cotton did but my algorithms are not pulling up anything.  Please provide a link when you reference things.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 08:35 PM by mikesez.)

(09-15-2018, 08:11 PM)copycat Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 06:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: I don't have an opinion about the Logan act but I agree that what John Kerry is doing is no worse than what Tom Cotton did.

Mike you have gotten so much better but can you do one more favor please?  I am searching for what Tom Cotton did but my algorithms are not pulling up anything.  Please provide a link when you reference things.

Tom Cotton wrote a letter to the Ayatollahs while Kerry was negotiating with them.  Cotton's letter said they shouldn't trust Kerry because Obama was going to be gone after 2016 regardless.  The letter was factual but it's not the right message.  New Presidents should honor the commitments of prior Presidents, until circumstances beyond the name of the man in the white house actually change. or else no President will be trusted in international negotiations.

(09-15-2018, 04:15 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 02:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Traitor then, traitor now.

When was then?

[Image: 539w.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-15-2018, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 08:11 PM)copycat Wrote: Mike you have gotten so much better but can you do one more favor please?  I am searching for what Tom Cotton did but my algorithms are not pulling up anything.  Please provide a link when you reference things.

Tom Cotton wrote a letter to the Ayatollahs while Kerry was negotiating with them.  Cotton's letter said they shouldn't trust Kerry because Obama was going to be gone after 2016 regardless.  The letter was factual but it's not the right message.  New Presidents should honor the commitments of prior Presidents, until circumstances beyond the name of the man in the white house actually change. or else no President will be trusted in international negotiations.

No matter how much it hurts....  I'm not giving up on u .

(09-15-2018, 08:11 PM)copycat Wrote: Mike you have gotten so much better but can you do one more favor please?  I am searching for what Tom Cotton did but my algorithms are not pulling up anything.  Please provide a link when you reference things.

If someone said water was wet, you could literally write a 300 word post arguing that it isn't.

If you aren't a lawyer, you should be.

(09-16-2018, 07:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: Tom Cotton wrote a letter to the Ayatollahs while Kerry was negotiating with them.  Cotton's letter said they shouldn't trust Kerry because Obama was going to be gone after 2016 regardless.  The letter was factual but it's not the right message.  New Presidents should honor the commitments of prior Presidents, until circumstances beyond the name of the man in the white house actually change. or else no President will be trusted in international negotiations.

If someone said water was wet, you could literally write a 300 word post arguing that it isn't.

And all the while blaming Republicans that it isn't while claiming to support them.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM by mikesez.)

(09-16-2018, 07:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: Tom Cotton wrote a letter to the Ayatollahs while Kerry was negotiating with them.  Cotton's letter said they shouldn't trust Kerry because Obama was going to be gone after 2016 regardless.  The letter was factual but it's not the right message.  New Presidents should honor the commitments of prior Presidents, until circumstances beyond the name of the man in the white house actually change. or else no President will be trusted in international negotiations.

If Trump was walking along 5th avenue, pulled a pistol and shot a stranger that was passing by, you would find a way to defend him, using exclamation marks and at least one reference to "libs" or "the left."

(09-16-2018, 08:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 07:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If someone said water was wet, you could literally write a 300 word post arguing that it isn't.

And all the while blaming Republicans that it isn't while claiming to support them.

If there were any liberals or Democrats on this board making unreasonable points I'd argue with them too.

(09-17-2018, 08:20 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 07:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If someone said water was wet, you could literally write a 300 word post arguing that it isn't.

If Trump was walking along 5th avenue, pulled a pistol and shot a stranger that was passing by, you would find a way to defend him, using exclamation marks and at least one reference to "libs" or "the left."

That all depends who he shot. Was it a criminal coming at him with a gun? Besides, POTUS doesn't carry. That is why he has SS detail.
You literally compared Tom Fitton to a former Secretary of State making power plays behind the country's back.

(09-17-2018, 08:20 AM)mikesez Wrote: If there were any liberals or Democrats on this board making unreasonable points I'd argue with them too.

Good one there Southpaw!

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM by TJBender.)

I disagree. Strongly.

(09-17-2018, 01:27 PM)TJBender Wrote: I disagree. Strongly.

So this thing just deleted the quote that i was referencing. I disagree with Mike saying that all Presidents should honor their predecessors agreements.

So this thing just deleted the quote that i was referencing. I disagree with Mike saying that all Presidents should honor their predecessors agreements.

Yep, this President was specifically elected to undo Obama's agreements.

Thanks
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.