Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone has surpassed Bradley's wins

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 09:08 AM by Eye of the Storm.)

There was many things that Gus got wrong as a head coach, but there was one particular instance that pushed me over the edge with him. One morning during my drive to work listening to 1010 there was a player (can’t remember who it was) doing a post game interview after another rout, and I hear the sound of ping pong balls in the background. I was dumbfounded. All I could think was how comfortable the team was with losing because in reality they should be at least doing film study or ANYTHING other that playing [BLEEP] ping pong. He created a country club atmosphere for an NFL team that clearly wasn’t responding to his style of leadership. Simply put he’s not or ever will be head coach material.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-18-2018, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad, but this isn't much of an accomplishment. Gus set the bar about as low as it could possibly get. Gus wasn't much better than Hue Jackson, for God's sake!

Hue is well on his way to showing up Gus.
With arguably more talent on his roster Hue has 1 win 1 tie and 32 losses in 2+seasons.
IF he makes it 4 seasons with that team, he could have less than 14 wins and a TIE.

(09-19-2018, 09:24 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 11:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm glad, but this isn't much of an accomplishment. Gus set the bar about as low as it could possibly get. Gus wasn't much better than Hue Jackson, for God's sake!

Hue is well on his way to showing up Gus.
With arguably more talent on his roster Hue has 1 win 1 tie and 32 losses in 2+seasons.
IF he makes it 4 seasons with that team, he could have less than 14 wins and a TIE.

Hue Jackson has a worse career record than Gus, but ...

1. Hue Jackson went 8-8 with a bad Oakland team. Gus never had an 8 win season (or even a 6 win season).
2. I wouldn't blame the coach for Sunday's loss after the kicker missed three field goals and an extra point. I think there was also a missed kick in the tie game. With an average placekicker the Browns would be 2-0 this season.

One thing they have in common is that their players more often regressed instead of improved.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

bbbbbut so many of you told me GM's and coaches need atleast 4 years to start showing progress??

(09-19-2018, 09:57 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 09:24 AM)Kane Wrote: Hue is well on his way to showing up Gus.

Hue Jackson has a worse career record than Gus, but ...

1. Hue Jackson went 8-8 with a bad Oakland team. Gus never had an 8 win season (or even a 6 win season).
2. I wouldn't blame the coach for Sunday's loss after the kicker missed three field goals and an extra point. I think there was also a missed kick in the tie game. With an average placekicker the Browns would be 2-0 this season.

One thing they have in common is that their players more often regressed instead of improved.

Totally forgot about Jackson's stint in Oakland.
So he only needs to win like 6 games this year to top Bradley (3 seasons vs 4) lol
Dang Bradley was bad.

I still feel somewhat bad for Gus because he's such a likeable guy, I really wanted him to succeed.

He was detrimental to the development of our guys though.

(09-18-2018, 10:55 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Gus  wasn't good, but Gene Smith really did a number on this team. I mean he has to be the worst GM of all time. It took Caldwell a long time to get the roster the way it is now. Gus was basically the fall guy.

Yeah, this. You really can't quibble with Gus on years 1-2, maybe even 3 but he probably should not have seen year 4. By then, the FA had identified Marrone as the next HC and had him in place. Gus was a dead man walking.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Makes me think how this entire coaching staff would have done with the team we had 4 years ago.

(09-19-2018, 09:06 AM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: There was many things that Gus got wrong as a head coach, but there was one particular instance that pushed me over the edge with him. One morning during my drive to work listening to 1010 there was a player (can’t remember who it was) doing a post game interview after another rout, and I hear the sound of ping pong balls in the background. I was dumbfounded. All I could think was how comfortable the team was with losing because in reality they should be at least doing film study or ANYTHING other that playing [BLEEP] ping pong. He created a country club atmosphere for an NFL team that clearly wasn’t responding to his style of leadership. Simply put he’s not or ever will be head coach material.

The sound of ping pong balls in the background could’ve very well been your last couple of brain cells doing mental gymnastics. 

Smile

(09-19-2018, 01:41 PM)Jagson Wrote: Makes me think how this entire coaching staff would have done with the team we had 4 years ago.

Me too. I know we had a pretty empty cupboard, but even when we had talent, Gus couldn't get anywhere with it.

Makes me wonder how many players are out of the league because they couldn't properly develop under Gus. Hell, just look at Blake's improvement after one year of real coaching.

(09-19-2018, 11:16 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: bbbbbut so many of you told me GM's and coaches need atleast 4 years to start showing progress??

What grade are you in?

(09-19-2018, 01:47 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 09:06 AM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: There was many things that Gus got wrong as a head coach, but there was one particular instance that pushed me over the edge with him. One morning during my drive to work listening to 1010 there was a player (can’t remember who it was) doing a post game interview after another rout, and I hear the sound of ping pong balls in the background. I was dumbfounded. All I could think was how comfortable the team was with losing because in reality they should be at least doing film study or ANYTHING other that playing [BLEEP] ping pong. He created a country club atmosphere for an NFL team that clearly wasn’t responding to his style of leadership. Simply put he’s not or ever will be head coach material.

The sound of ping pong balls in the background could’ve very well been your last couple of brain cells doing mental gymnastics. 

Smile
I have no idea what point you’re attempting to make with that statement.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 03:59 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT GUS WAS 1-13 IN SEPTEMBER SO ESSENTIALLY, WE WERE OUT OF THE PLAYOFF HUNT IN THE 1ST MONTH OF EACH OF HIS 4 YEARS AS A HEAD COACH.  Therefore, Marrone has won more games in September this year than Gus did in 4 years.

That said, Gus was a pretty bad coach but I have to say the dude was dealt a pretty bad hand.

inherited Gabbert
Joekel - 1st round pick
Toby Gerhart - primary free agent signing

I could go on and on and on....

(09-19-2018, 03:37 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 01:47 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: The sound of ping pong balls in the background could’ve very well been your last couple of brain cells doing mental gymnastics. 

Smile
I have no idea what point you’re attempting to make with that statement.

Ping pong balls make no sound when they hit ice cream.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-19-2018, 04:04 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 03:37 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: I have no idea what point you’re attempting to make with that statement.

Ping pong balls make no sound when they hit ice cream.

Good one! :-D
Jaguars Fundamentalist

The end of the Del Rio era, the Mularkey year, then the 4 years of Gus was the worst thing I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through as a passionate fan. It got to the point to where it was self torture watching our games. Like why did I even care? Why do I keep doing this to myself. Since the announcement of Tom Coughlin coming back I have been riding the hype train ever since. It doesn't hurt to have a head coach that gave Buffalo their last winning season. Another proven guy that shares the same philosophies as Coughlin. I mean a lot of our current players we had while Bradley was here. Ramsey's rookie year was his last year. We had Telvin Smith, Ngakoue, Jackson, Bortles, Linder, Poz, so on and so forth. The team figured out how to prepare to win and bought into that. Combine that with the veteran guys like CC brought in and young talent like Myles Jack and here we are. We can beat anybody any week. I'm not going to say we have a dynasty or a dominant team yet but the first major hurdle was being competitive again week in and week out. In the NFL that's about all you can ask/hope for. The rest will play itself out.
No pain, no gain.

The only highlight of that time period was coming into the Jags MB during the games and laughing at ourselves

There's a downside. I find myself refusing invitations because they conflict with Jags games, invitations that I would have accepted two years ago.

Yep, I remember those times. Back then “sprinkles” was added to the bad word removed filter. At least we had that to laugh about.

(09-19-2018, 06:10 PM)jaglyn Wrote: The only highlight of that time period was coming into the Jags MB during the games and laughing at ourselves

Yes therapy sessions. So many weeks my wife asked me why I even bothered.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.