Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
(stinkin tacks game complaint threads merged)

(09-24-2018, 02:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:01 PM)Deacon Wrote: ...

The terms"hell bent" and "stubborn" imply repeated persistent attempts to do something beyond the point of diminishing returns.

It certainly didn't apply to throwing deep, or even intermediate routes.

I agree there were plays that should have been made on the short passes that weren't, and I have no doubt that had a negative impact on later playcalling.  

However, barring a miraculous recovery by Robinson or a trade for a LT, Wells is our LT.  We can't simply not attack down field the remaining thirteen weeks.

And I am not saying that the team won't throw downfield in the future. But the combination of having two starters out, one of them a late scratch, as well as a depleted running game and going up against the Tennessee Front Seven makes deep drops a dangerous idea. 

I make no excuses for anyone here, but I'm betting that the ol' playbook was dialed way way down in order to deal with all of the above. Ostensibly, the short passing game would have overcome some of those limitations but it did not happen.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Deacon Wrote: And I am not saying that the team won't throw downfield in the future. But the combination of having two starters out, one of them a late scratch, as well as a depleted running game and going up against the Tennessee Front Seven makes deep drops a dangerous idea. 

I make no excuses for anyone here, but I'm betting that the ol' playbook was dialed way way down in order to deal with all of the above. Ostensibly, the short passing game would have overcome some of those limitations but it did not happen.

This would hold a lot more weight to me if it wasn't pretty much the standard gameplan for every time Marrone thinks our defense outclasses an offense. The low scoring, slug it out, hyper conservative, pray for a defensive touchdown in the second half type of game happens way more often than what happened in week 2. I think what we saw Sunday was Marrone's preferred style of playing games, but unfortunately sometimes he plays offenses that he thinks we'll need to score more against so we'll get the occasional Steelers/Patriots gameplan.

No, it's not a mirage. For whatever reason the Titans just have our number. I think at this point it's a mental block. There's no logical reason why a team with 7, 8 pro bowlers should lose to a team with Gabbert and a one-hand Mariota as QB. It's mental.

Anyhow, moving forward, we'll be fine. Just have to hope we get 'good' Blake for the majority of our games.

(09-25-2018, 10:07 AM)rocdee Wrote: No, it's not a mirage. For whatever reason the Titans just have our number. I think at this point it's a mental block. There's no logical reason why a team with 7, 8 pro bowlers should lose to a team with Gabbert and a one-hand Mariota as QB. It's mental.

Anyhow, moving forward, we'll be fine. Just have to hope we get 'good' Blake for the majority of our games.

It's the slugging match mentality. The team seems convinced it has to be a conservative, low risk, low score game, so that's how they play.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-25-2018, 08:59 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Deacon Wrote: ...

This would hold a lot more weight to me if it wasn't pretty much the standard gameplan for every time Marrone thinks our defense outclasses an offense. The low scoring, slug it out, hyper conservative, pray for a defensive touchdown in the second half type of game happens way more often than what happened in week 2. I think what we saw Sunday was Marrone's preferred style of playing games, but unfortunately sometimes he plays offenses that he thinks we'll need to score more against so we'll get the occasional Steelers/Patriots gameplan.

While I dislike responding to boorish behavior, I would like to point out that the coaching style across the NFL is numbers-based. More often than not, teams play the odds; they have to. There is too much uncertainty on any given play to be able to manage risk any other way.

I don't think I necessarily care for it,  but if you don't see the reason behind it, then maybe try another sport. That, or understand why you are seeing what you are seeing.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

The fans must of known. ONly around 50,000 attended that stinkfest yesterday. Fans must of knew what a snoozefest it was
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Titans@Jaguars week 3 will probably go down as the most boring game of the season, heck one of the most boring of a decade.  There is plenty of blame to go around but where do you put most of the blame?

Thank God we got another thread to lay down blame, we didn't have enough.

(09-25-2018, 01:40 PM)d4rkman Wrote: Thank God we got another thread to lay down blame, we didn't have enough.

Thank god you read the title and still took the time to read it and comment on it.

The fans. The stadium was half empty, the players saw that, got their feelings hurt and tapped out.

terrible game plan by the HC and OC #becauseMoorone

(09-25-2018, 01:48 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 01:40 PM)d4rkman Wrote: Thank God we got another thread to lay down blame, we didn't have enough.

Thank god you read the title and still took the time to read it and comment on it.

Well played sir. I guess I'll bite while I'm at it. The whole team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(09-25-2018, 01:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: The fans. The stadium was half empty, the players saw that, got their feelings hurt and tapped out.

The chicken or the egg?  The fans knew this stinker was coming

We're onto the Jets.

I think TN has 3 strong CB now and this is going to be one of their strengths. Malcolm Butler played really well against the Jags.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(09-25-2018, 01:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: The fans. The stadium was half empty, the players saw that, got their feelings hurt and tapped out.

Apparently Fred Taylor actually blamed the fans on the radio after the game lol

Here it is 

[Image: p86dlPa.gif?1?3120]

Boring game? I loved it. It was close. A dog fight. A slug fest. Those kinds of games should happen more often. I would have liked to have seen us win it of course but it was fun to watch nonetheless. I hope someday the NFL goes back to more ground and pound and less air raid.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-25-2018, 02:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Boring game? I loved it. It was close. A dog fight. A slug fest. Those kinds of games should happen more often. I would have liked to have seen us win it of course but it was fun to watch nonetheless. I hope someday the NFL goes back to more ground and pound and less air raid.

That was just it.  We didn't even ground and pound yesterday

The team had 19 carries the whole game and 5 of those were Bortles.   Take away Bortles carries and that is 14 carries for a run first team.  The play calling was largely suspect.

I rememberr seeing yeldon go for 6 yards on first down and then they passed on the next 2 only to punt.   This team got away from the running game.  Yeldon was banged up and Grant Stunk.  This team needs more depth at the rb position.

I'm all for ground and pound but we didn't even attempt it.  14 carries by running backs in a 6-9 game.  Wow

I blame the cheerleaders. With their pathetic effort on Sunday only about 20K fans returned to their seats after half. When the game ended BOOS rained down on the cheerleaders as they completely demoralized the fans and the team. Pathetic.