Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags RB position is ranked 26th

Yeldon rushed  for 44 yards on 7 carries. That’s 6.3 yards per attempt. Not sure why we got away from the run.

Yeldon also had 46 yards receiving. But for some reason Yeldon is allergic to the end zone. He only has 5 career TDs. 

Grant has become a favorite because he makes the most of his opportunities, but he rushed for  11 yards on 6 carries. That’s 1.8 yards per carry.

As a unit our RB position has been way below average. Some fans are asking are we better without Fournette. The answer is not at all. 

Blake has played great in his absence but then we see games vs Titans where we need a big bruiser.

With Fournette back against the Jets, it will be nice for Blake to turn around and hand it to the big fella and let him wear a defense down.  That is what settled Bortles down last year as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we simply gave Yeldon like 2.5x more carries and let Grant do his thing through the passing game and not giving him handoffs (in heavy set formations no less...), we wouldn't have noticed Fournette was out. It was a major tactical error not a personnel error.

Wells and Reed were also starting fresh yesterday in the line-up. It plays a factor as well. But I didn't like that they got away from the run game. Especially in this one. We weren't down by multiple scores. Play calling looked very similar to what we saw against the Giants with maybe a few plays from what we saw with the Patriots.

They keep trying to get cute in the ground game too by running it out of the spread formation. If you're without your best LT and LG why not bring out a pair of TE's along with the FB and at least try to push the pile for four to six yards on 1st and 2nd downs? There was no reason for Bortles to attempt 34 passes yesterday. None whatsoever. Mariota had 18 attempts and we still managed to let them beat us.

The penalties keep happening at the worst of times as well. As soon as we get into their territory or sniff the red zone we start seeing goofy [BLEEP] happening. False starts, broken pass protection, holding or fumbles. Just really sloppy [BLEEP] that should be cleaned up by now. It was a dog fight yesterday. And we allowed the dog that wasn't even supposed to sniff the field that day with a bad paw beat us.

Disappointing as [BLEEP].
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-24-2018, 09:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Wells and Reed were also starting fresh yesterday in the line-up. It plays a factor as well. But I didn't like that they got away from the run game. Especially in this one. We weren't down by multiple scores. Play calling looked very similar to what we saw against the Giants with maybe a few plays from what we saw with the Patriots.

They keep trying to get cute in the ground game too by running it out of the spread formation. If you're without your best LT and LG why not bring out a pair of TE's along with the FB and at least try to push the pile for four to six yards on 1st and 2nd downs? There was no reason for Bortles to attempt 34 passes yesterday. None whatsoever. Mariota had 18 attempts and we still managed to let them beat us.

The penalties keep happening at the worst of times as well. As soon as we get into their territory or sniff the red zone we start seeing goofy [BLEEP] happening. False starts, broken pass protection, holding or fumbles. Just really sloppy [BLEEP] that should be cleaned up by now. It was a dog fight yesterday. And we allowed the dog that wasn't even supposed to sniff the field that day with a bad paw beat us.

basically sums it all up. We continuously found ourselves in third and long scenarios because of a multitude of reasons. But even then we wouldn't take shots down field. If you are going to sling it 34 times, You would think some would be over 15 yards but there was only one attempt of +15 yards and in total only 5 over 10 yards. I think we game plan and put so much emphasis on BB not turning the ball over or making mistakes that we constrict the O to the point they are completely inefficient.

(09-24-2018, 09:51 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 09:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Wells and Reed were also starting fresh yesterday in the line-up. It plays a factor as well. But I didn't like that they got away from the run game. Especially in this one. We weren't down by multiple scores. Play calling looked very similar to what we saw against the Giants with maybe a few plays from what we saw with the Patriots.

basically sums it all up. We continuously found ourselves in third and long scenarios because of a multitude of reasons. But even then we wouldn't take shots down field. If you are going to sling it 34 times, You would think some would be over 15 yards but there was only one attempt of +15 yards and in total only 5 over 10 yards. I think we game plan and put so much emphasis on BB not turning the ball over or making mistakes that we constrict the O to the point they are completely inefficient.

They played scared. I don't know if it's just leftover effects from their win over the Patriots. But they definitely reverted back to their lethargic energy and game plan from week one with the Giants. That stat you threw out there is bothersome. I agree. If you're going to sling it 34 times you would expect at least 5 to 10 of those being deep shots. He had 45 attempts last week and it seemed like they were throwing bombs literally on every drive. 

The moment Jackson went out for the game with a concussion they should have started taking those shots deep. The pass protection wasn't perfect but Bortles did have a few plays where he had some time to make his reads. I don't know if the play calling dictated his eyes yesterday but from what I keep hearing they did have Westbrook wide open on a few plays. 

It's early. And it's the stinking tacks. They always have our number. I just hope they show up on December 6th and square this back up. I am tired of seeing these [BLEEP] beat us.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 11:53 AM by JagsorDie.)

(09-24-2018, 10:34 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 09:51 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: basically sums it all up. We continuously found ourselves in third and long scenarios because of a multitude of reasons. But even then we wouldn't take shots down field. If you are going to sling it 34 times, You would think some would be over 15 yards but there was only one attempt of +15 yards and in total only 5 over 10 yards. I think we game plan and put so much emphasis on BB not turning the ball over or making mistakes that we constrict the O to the point they are completely inefficient.

They played scared. I don't know if it's just leftover effects from their win over the Patriots. But they definitely reverted back to their lethargic energy and game plan from week one with the Giants. That stat you threw out there is bothersome. I agree. If you're going to sling it 34 times you would expect at least 5 to 10 of those being deep shots. He had 45 attempts last week and it seemed like they were throwing bombs literally on every drive. 

The moment Jackson went out for the game with a concussion they should have started taking those shots deep. The pass protection wasn't perfect but Bortles did have a few plays where he had some time to make his reads. I don't know if the play calling dictated his eyes yesterday but from what I keep hearing they did have Westbrook wide open on a few plays. 

It's early. And it's the stinking tacks. They always have our number. I just hope they show up on December 6th and square this back up. I am tired of seeing these [BLEEP] beat us.
 When you are in a game that is against a secondary that isn't particularly great and, like you said they lose a db, why the hell are you not exploiting it. Like I said they did get pressure but there were times that he had a clean pocket and had one on one match ups on the outside. Not to mention you bought this TE who is suppose to be more of a pass catcher than what we had last season and you don't use him over the middle to split their cover2 or at least pull a safety?

Fournette was a terrible selection that high.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM by Caldrac.)

(09-24-2018, 11:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Fournette was a terrible selection that high.

Maybe. Who else do you take there? 

Corey Davis? Meh. Hasn't done anything for the tacks at WR.
Jamal Adams? Didn't really need him with the investments made between Church and Bouye. 
Mike Williams? Meh. 
Christian McCaffrey. Meh. 

Who else do they look at in that position? You would have been reaching if you went with anybody else there. Maybe Mahomes? Maybe Watson? Mahomes got to sit his rookie year. Watson blew a knee out and hasn't really looked too good this year so far.

Honestly there hasn't been much impact out of that first round class that's note worthy. Other than Mahomes. Fournette since his rookie season has actually been the most productive offensive player of that round outside of the QB position. His injuries are a concern. I fear we may have Fred Taylor 2.0 on our hands. So I'll admit that. 

But it was STILL the right decision last year. Especially for a team that hasn't had a respectable runner since MJD prior to his foot injury.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 01:40 PM by SeldomRite.)

(09-24-2018, 12:25 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 11:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Fournette was a terrible selection that high.

Maybe. Who else do you take there? 

Corey Davis? Meh. Hasn't done anything for the tacks at WR.
Jamal Adams? Didn't really need him with the investments made between Church and Bouye. 
Mike Williams? Meh. 
Christian McCaffrey. Meh. 

Who else do they look at in that position? You would have been reaching if you went with anybody else there. Maybe Mahomes? Maybe Watson? Mahomes got to sit his rookie year. Watson blew a knee out and hasn't really looked too good this year so far.

Honestly there hasn't been much impact out of that first round class that's note worthy. Other than Mahomes. Fournette since his rookie season has actually been the most productive offensive player of that round outside of the QB position. His injuries are a concern. I fear we may have Fred Taylor 2.0 on our hands. So I'll admit that. 

But it was STILL the right decision last year. Especially for a team that hasn't had a respectable runner since MJD prior to his foot injury.

Personally I was big on Lattimore, but really looking back on it looks like Mahomes is the next Rodgers, so the Jaguars missed again.

Really though the problem with fournette is the position he plays, and that is just not worthy of a top five selection. What's worse is he's had ongoing injury issues. If he were Jim Brown and played for ten straight dominant seasons that would make him end up as worth it, but he has the look of a guy that will be here another two injury riddled seasons before bouncing around the league for a few seasons to end his career.

The bar of what a running back has to be to be worthy of a top five selection is just too high, taking them is almost guaranteed to be a mistake. He wasn't even the most productive back taken last year.

I feel like they commit to an idea and seldom adjust.

Grant, for example, was only thrown to twice. Grant has always been a receiving RB more than anything else. They did the opposite of his skillset and that's on the coaching.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM by SeldomRite.)

To expand a bit more, looking back at last year's performance from fournette he had the lowest yards per carry for all thousand yard backs, lowest first down percentage, second lowest number of breakaway runs, and second least yards overall.

He's a good player, but the top five is for taking great players that make plays above the X's and O's for your team for years and years. Fournette was always a terrible idea where he was taken, and saying other guys taken around him weren't good either doesn't only fail to absolve this management team, it's not even true.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM by SamusAranX.)

(09-24-2018, 02:12 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: To expand a bit more, looking back at last year's performance from fournette he had the lowest yards per carry for all thousand yard backs, lowest first down percentage, second lowest number of breakaway runs, and second least yards overall.

He's a good player, but the top five is for taking great players that make plays above the X's and O's for your team for years and years. Fournette was always a terrible idea where he was taken, and saying other guys taken around him weren't good either doesn't only fail to absolve this management team, it's not even true.

I agree. I like Fournette and hope he improves, but fourth overall, especially with Mahomes available? Yes I know hindsight is 20/20 but the chiefs jumped high to get him (27th rob 10th pick) and they already had Alex Smith who in response delivered one of his best seasons once his career. Who is to say if we don’t draft Mahomes, the same result as last year doesn’t happen? We get a winning season with a number 1 defense and an effective Bortles campaign. I’m getting sick thinking about what could have been

(09-24-2018, 03:56 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:12 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: To expand a bit more, looking back at last year's performance from fournette he had the lowest yards per carry for all thousand yard backs, lowest first down percentage, second lowest number of breakaway runs, and second least yards overall.

I agree. I like Fournette and hope he improves, but fourth overall, especially with Mahomes available? Yes I know hindsight is 20/20 but the chiefs jumped high to get him (27th to 10th pick) and they already had Alex Smith, who in response delivered one of his best seasons once his career. That was a true BAP leap of faith. Who is to say if we don’t draft Mahomes, the same result as last year doesn’t happen? We get a winning season with a number 1 defense and an effective Bortles campaign. I’m getting sick thinking about what could have been

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 04:44 PM by Caldrac.)

No sense in getting caught up in the "what if" and "what could have been" scenarios here. It's a case by case deal with every team. Mahomes didn't have to start last year. And it's not like he was handed the keys to a lame duck offense. This is an Andy Reid offense with Hunt, Hill & Kelce on it. And it's always been effective when he doesn't suffer any major injuries to his system. He's had a winning season fourteen seasons out of twenty.

Maybe back in 2013 when Caldwell and Khan thought it was smart to hire Gus Bradley they should have given Andy Reid a phone call first.

This idea or perception that somehow Mahomes would be Superman in our city with this coaching staff and offensive personnel around him is pretty naive and wishful thinking at best. And despite all of the numbers that get thrown around about Bortles and Fournette. Ultimately, the only number that matters is that W column. And last year they did enough to get us in great position to earn our first ever Superbowl appearance.

No need to spiral down the rabbit hole of fantasy over a loss against a team that has historically always had our number. It's just a matter of fact. And I honestly don't care. They'll get another shot at them on December 6th. My only concern is how many W's they'll have in that column leading up to that date. Because again, that's ultimately all that matters.

Onto the Jets man. Let's get over this loss and keep moving forward. If they start to falter again this Sunday on offense. Maybe panic a little. But if they come out this Sunday and smoke the Jets and find a way to stun the Chiefs in Kansas City. Alllllllllllll of this talk today and yesterday gets thrown out the window.

Ranked 26th by/in what?

Not a fan of how we used Grant yesterday. Our offense seems to function a lot better when we use Grant in the screen game. We did it a lot in NE game, so being short a RB really isn't an excuse for not doing it yesterday.

(09-24-2018, 04:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not a fan of how we used Grant yesterday. Our offense seems to function a lot better when we use Grant in the screen game. We did it a lot in NE game, so being short a RB really isn't an excuse for not doing it yesterday.

I suspect by the way they are using Yeldon that his ankle injury is a little more serious than we know. 

Sat at the end of the NE game, used very sparingly against the tacks. 

Wilds might have been a better option than Grant on those inside runs though. That's just not his game.

Belle is on the trade block.  We can't afford him but fournette stays hurt, yeldon was limited with an ankle injury and grant is only a situational back.  Would love to have him
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 05:17 PM by Caldrac.)

(09-24-2018, 04:54 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Belle is on the trade block.  We can't afford him but fournette stays hurt, yeldon was limited with an ankle injury and grant is only a situational back.  Would love to have him

Doesn't benefit the team long term though. And we certainly can't afford him as you've cited. Bell is seeking $17M per year right now. He's a great talent. But you would have to risk parting ways with a number of key players on defense after the year is over. Essentially it's a wash. Bell may have also benefited from Brown's threatening speed on the outside.

We don't have a receiver on this roster where you have to consider rolling a safety over the top for help or creating some type of double coverage. All we would be getting is a great athlete that may or may not give us the production that Fournette gave us last year as a rookie. We would be facing more eight/nine man fronts than any other team again just like last year. We're nearly done with the first month of the regular season as well. The timing just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Just doesn't seem like a smart move. If any team goes out for him right now it's out of desperation. This team isn't that desperate yet. Let's see what happens with Fournette first. Too many fans on this message board are already writing this guy off (Not saying you are personally or have already). Which is insane. He's the only RB on this roster right now that has legitimate break away speed combined with power and vision. And he's the only RB we have that creates 2 - 3 yards on plays that should have been stuffed in the backfield.

(09-24-2018, 04:54 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Belle is on the trade block.  We can't afford him but fournette stays hurt, yeldon was limited with an ankle injury and grant is only a situational back.  Would love to have him

I say we sign her now!

[Image: latest?cb=20180507030908]

(09-24-2018, 05:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

I say we sign her now!

[Image: latest?cb=20180507030908]

Hottest Disney Princess of them all.  I’ve got a 4yo daughter.  Trust me, I know my princesses.  2 first rounders!