Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Te and wr routes

Does Hackett know how to use a te properly?  Sure doesn't seem like it.  You hardly ever see a te seam route it seems or they just don't get open when they do.  Wr on deep routes seem always be on the sidelines.  I would like to see some deep routes run over the middle as I think they give the wr more room to adjust to the ball.  Just growing weary of the short crossers and never seemingly using the seam.  Sure would love to see us get the te involved more, it's been way way too long since that has happened in duval.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There's only one TE on the roster with real hands and he's playing through an injury.

All this complaining about deep routes and seams while the O-Line is missing two starters seems a lot more suspect than Hackett's play-calling, IMO. Those routes need time. Smart coaches don't plan on their QB having time when they're starting backups at RG and LT.

I think the age of Madden has simply led to everyone thinking they're smarter than the OC on Mondays.

I would trust the coaches to know our personnel and use their strengths in the game plan. I'm sure an NFL coordinator is well aware of what Tight End Seam route is... the NFL isn't a video game.
No pain, no gain.

(09-28-2018, 12:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There's only one TE on the roster with real hands and he's playing through an injury.

All this complaining about deep routes and seams while the O-Line is missing two starters seems a lot more suspect than Hackett's play-calling, IMO. Those routes need time.  Smart coaches don't plan on their QB having time when they're starting backups at RG and LT.

I think the age of Madden has simply led to everyone thinking they're smarter than the OC on Mondays.

Well except he had all day to throw last game. Boselli watched the tape and commented on it. Time wasn't an issue. So if you don't trust board members do you trust a future hall of fame o lineman?

(09-28-2018, 02:40 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I would trust the coaches to know our personnel and use their strengths in the game plan. I'm sure an NFL coordinator is well aware of what Tight End Seam route is... the NFL isn't a video game.

Then maybe instead of a TE seam we could use that beautiful RB seam McVay had Gurley run for his TD. Instead of just throwing a flat and then Grant tries to race to beat the LB to the sideline for an 8-12 yard first down he could be racing that LB up the middle of the field for a truly impactful gain.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018, 06:32 AM by Upper.)

Here's another awesome concept our staff could implement. Basically all it is is a drag and go (or drag and wheel). We've been pretty good at getting WR matched up on LBs on crossers. Next time instead of Blake taking the crosser for, again, an 8-12 yard chain moving gain...maybe let the play develop a bit more, turn upfield, and try for a truly explosive play.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1045480866787598336

(09-28-2018, 03:35 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 12:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There's only one TE on the roster with real hands and he's playing through an injury.

All this complaining about deep routes and seams while the O-Line is missing two starters seems a lot more suspect than Hackett's play-calling, IMO. Those routes need time.  Smart coaches don't plan on their QB having time when they're starting backups at RG and LT.

Well except he had all day to throw last game. Boselli watched the tape and commented on it. Time wasn't an issue. So if you don't trust board members do you trust a future hall of fame o lineman?

Nah. That's vastly, vastly overstated. You can cherry pick a large handful of plays where Bortles had plenty of time. Lord knows the offense didn't take advantage of opportunities on many downs in that game. I don't argue that. 
But you can also pick even more plays where he was moved off of his spot or unable to climb the pocket due to poor protection. Blake isn't Aaron Rodgers, and he's not going to complete a ton of downfield stuff when he has to move around behind the LOS and find a new throwing lane.  

That said, if I were Hackett, I'd absolutely never enter a contest missing two starters on the line and gameplan a bunch of downfield throws and TE seam routes. It just doesn't make sense. 

Bad throws from Blake, drops by WRs, and miscues in the run game were much more to blame in this one than the playcalling.

(09-27-2018, 11:25 PM)surfon Wrote: Does Hackett know how to use a te properly?  Sure doesn't seem like it.  You hardly ever see a te seam route it seems or they just don't get open when they do.  Wr on deep routes seem always be on the sidelines.  I would like to see some deep routes run over the middle as I think they give the wr more room to adjust to the ball.  Just growing weary of the short crossers and never seemingly using the seam.  Sure would love to see us get the te involved more, it's been way way too long since that has happened in duval.

Jaguars offense is similar to the Rams, Englewood that is.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018, 10:46 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(09-28-2018, 10:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 03:35 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Well except he had all day to throw last game. Boselli watched the tape and commented on it. Time wasn't an issue. So if you don't trust board members do you trust a future hall of fame o lineman?

Nah. That's vastly, vastly overstated. You can cherry pick a large handful of plays where Bortles had plenty of time. Lord knows the offense didn't take advantage of opportunities on many downs in that game. I don't argue that. 
But you can also pick even more plays where he was moved off of his spot or unable to climb the pocket due to poor protection. Blake isn't Aaron Rodgers, and he's not going to complete a ton of downfield stuff when he has to move around behind the LOS and find a new throwing lane.  

That said, if I were Hackett, I'd absolutely never enter a contest missing two starters on the line and gameplan a bunch of downfield throws and TE seam routes. It just doesn't make sense. 

Bad throws from Blake, drops by WRs, and miscues in the run game were much more to blame in this one than the playcalling.
It's not overstated Boselli said it perfectly clear on Monday. You can listen for yourself on Jaguars.com. Issue is gameplan is ultra conservative against bad teams and aggressive against good ones. It makes sense to be honest, and it flows with what we have seen with Marrone as HC. He wants no turnovers and the defense to win it. Can't win the SB that way boys. Set the mentality right this week Marrone. This game against the Jets is a chance to change it.

Boselli reviewed the tape and literally said Bortles had all day to throw. Is he lying?

(09-28-2018, 10:42 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 10:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Nah. That's vastly, vastly overstated. You can cherry pick a large handful of plays where Bortles had plenty of time. Lord knows the offense didn't take advantage of opportunities on many downs in that game. I don't argue that. 

It's not overstated Boselli said it perfectly clear on Monday. You can listen for yourself on Jaguars.com. Issue is gameplan is ultra conservative against bad teams and aggressive against good ones. It makes sense to be honest, and it flows with what we have seen with Marrone as HC. He wants no turnovers and the defense to win it. Can't win the SB that way boys. Set the mentality right this week Marrone. This game against the Jets is a chance to change it.

Boselli reviewed the tape and literally said Bortles had all day to throw. Is he lying?
I'll have to hear him in context to tell you if "he's lying." 

But I'll make it easy for you and post gifs later of what i'm talking about with the collapsed pockets. I'm too busy right now. 
The bad pocket happened a lot and gameplanning conservative passes when down two linemen is about as simple a concept as it gets. Not sure why everyone keeps ignoring this.

(09-28-2018, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 10:42 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: It's not overstated Boselli said it perfectly clear on Monday. You can listen for yourself on Jaguars.com. Issue is gameplan is ultra conservative against bad teams and aggressive against good ones. It makes sense to be honest, and it flows with what we have seen with Marrone as HC. He wants no turnovers and the defense to win it. Can't win the SB that way boys. Set the mentality right this week Marrone. This game against the Jets is a chance to change it.

I'll have to hear him in context to tell you if "he's lying." 

But I'll make it easy for you and post gifs later of what i'm talking about with the collapsed pockets. I'm too busy right now. 
The bad pocket happened a lot and gameplanning conservative passes when down two linemen is about as simple a concept as it gets. Not sure why everyone keeps ignoring this.

There's collapsed pockets every game. Every drive there is man. Trust the future HOF. He said there was time. There was time. it's not "vastly overstated".... and not only was the line good at pass blocking... run blocking was good. I pray Marrone evolves from his conservative point of view. He changed the culture. He has done a FINE job. I believe he can grow and learn. I just want to see it. Till then, i'm skeptical. I think the true thing holding this team back is Marrone atm. He gives the word to his OC/DC. It showed in the AFCCG.... it's shown so far. I want to see London Ravens game Marrone. Fake punts up 30.... Going for the jugular. Now that's a Marrone.

(09-28-2018, 11:00 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'll have to hear him in context to tell you if "he's lying." 

There's collapsed pockets every game. Every drive there is man. Trust the future HOF. He said there was time. There was time. it's not "vastly overstated".... and not only was the line good at pass blocking... run blocking was good. I pray Marrone evolves from his conservative point of view. He changed the culture. He has done a FINE job. I believe he can grow and learn. I just want to see it. Till then, i'm skeptical. I think the true thing holding this team back is Marrone atm. He gives the word to his OC/DC. It showed in the AFCCG.... it's shown so far. I want to see London Ravens game Marrone. Fake punts up 30.... Going for the jugular. Now that's a Marrone.
LOL
He went for a fake punt in the game you are calling conservative. 

Conservative offense was actually not a bad call in that contest. Not at all. Pretty smart IMO. 

If Blake hits on 3 of those 5 or 6 bad throws and the receivers only drop 2 instead of 5 we probably aren't even having this conversation. Execution was a much bigger issue than gameplan, play-calling or philosophy in this one.  Even more so if Yeldon had been healthy and could have shouldered 10 more carries. He looked great but they had to protect him from a season ending aggravation of existing injury. 
They tried Grant plenty after everyone here begged for that, but he missed open lanes two or three times. 

I think blaming the plays and coaches when the offensive players performed so badly is just some lazy finger pointing. 

Do I want Hackett to call more games like he did vs the pats? Sure. That's great. Does he need to do that every week to win? Absolutely not. 

Another thing everyone here keeps ignoring (along with the o-line injuries) is that you guys are begging for deep throws against a safety that had 8 picks last year.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018, 01:41 PM by knarnn.)

I respectfully disagree about the O-Line. Sure there was some pressure but not enough to prevent downfield passes from being set up. After rewatching the game, there were indeed some deep routes being ran but Bortles for whatever reason went with the more safe throw.

As a side note did you watch the Bucs/Steelers on MNF? Fitzpatrick’s line is hot garbage but he was letting it rip down the field. I think he took like 3 or 4 sacks and a ton of hits lol.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018, 01:23 PM by rpr52121.)

There is so much they could do to help the WR and TE with best utilization of bunch routes, combinations to free guys in slot but not just run crossing patterns, and using ASJ with a chip and safety valve dink pass much like you would use a RB. They only use motion or formations when facing "good offenses". The philosophy of the offense is much more like what you see in Green Bay, where the WR are expected to beat their guy.

They also do not help out Blake to help set any of this up. There doesn't seem to be easy see it throw passes early in the game to help him get his rhythm before they try deep pass, crossing pattern, come backer, etc. Even the check down pass plays seem to always be with a free rusher in his face, making those much hard throws given his mechanics.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018, 02:22 PM by Browntrouser.)

Sometimes I hate this forums community. Here is how the topics always go. Question - should Jags run more deep routes? Duval Pride response - DONT YOU THINK COACHES KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING YOU IDIOT.

Its almost like some people don't want anything to even discus.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(09-28-2018, 02:22 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: Sometimes I hate this forums community. Here is how the topics always go. Question - should Jags run more deep routes? Duval Pride response - DONT YOU THINK COACHES KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING YOU IDIOT.

Its almost like some people don't want anything to even discus.

If you think the bolded is what I'm saying, then you need to read my posts again. 

I'm saying Hackett called a good enough game to win but the offense did not execute -- and his conservatism makes sense to me given the injuries up front.

In the NFL you have to complete plays to set up other plays.

The reality was that our short passing game was not nearly as effective as it should have been. You need to complete those plays 70 or 80 percent of the time. The majority of our passing game was short routes and we were sub 500 completions for the game due to drops, bad throws, and our oline allowing the dline to disrupt the passing lanes.

When you don't execute the short passing game effectively, the linebackers will stay back in the intermediate passing lanes allowing your safeties and corners to play deep leaving your down field opportunities few and far in between.

If you can effectively execute the short passing game, you force the linebackers to cover the short passing game leaving the safeties and CBs to cover both the intermediate and the deep routes which spreads them out much thinner creating opportunities down field that can be exploited.

Bortles did miss some plays downfield, but you also have to understand that sometimes the first read is designed to be an underneath guy and the OC is looking for a breakdown in coverage down field. If there is a breakdown, the OC will run that same play a few plays later except the guy running the route that the coverage broke down on will be the first read. The key to being able to do that is you have to give yourself a few plays in between so the defense doesn't catch on to what is happening which means getting first downs to extend the drive. If you can't do that and the defense gets off the field before you can re run that play, the defensive coaching staff will get a chance to show them the break down and correct it and that route won't be open again.

Coaching staffs do at times have poor game plans or make poor play calls, but I can't fault Hackett for last Sunday. Not executing the short passing game or the run game made throwing the ball down field throwing into the teeth of the titans coverage creating more turnovers and likely a blowout.

My post was not specific to the last game.

I noticed they made a nice change to hit the cover 2 beaters this week. Blake is never going to consistently hit a cover 2 honey hole the traditional back shoulder 9 route way, but they ran a lot of post corner and deep crosser routes from the slot today and Blake was able to take his time and see them open and take his time with his mechanics to hit it.

It was basically the cover 2 beater version of what makes Blake successful with shallow crosser patterns (which we did plenty of also). Good adjustment.

(09-30-2018, 06:16 PM)Upper Wrote: I noticed they made a nice change to hit the cover 2 beaters this week. Blake is never going to consistently hit a cover 2 honey hole the traditional back shoulder 9 route way, but they ran a lot of post corner and deep crosser routes from the slot today and Blake was able to take his time and see them open and take his time with his mechanics to hit it.

It was basically the cover 2 beater version of what makes Blake successful with shallow crosser patterns (which we did plenty of also). Good adjustment.

They did this a ton last year with Lee and sometimes Cole.   Good to see Westbrook and Blake getting on the same page with it now.  

Glad it was back in mix today.