Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Back to First

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 12:23 AM by Inziladun.)

(09-30-2018, 11:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 11:17 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Pretty sure how the NFL has evolved to favor the offense the Jags won't ever be looked back upon as favorably as some of the great defenses in the past. I'd say the same thing if you could teleport those historic defenses into today's game. It's just so much harder to play defense these days, it's hard to compete back in the day when you could literally try and injure the QB on every single play, light up a receiver as he goes to catch the ball and got a little more slack with the holding and interference calls.

Doesn't that argument only help the Jags' Defenses case though? Being dominate in an era that is trying to make it as hard as possible to play Defense?

Maybe, but were only first in yards/points. Those are boring stats and honestly I doubt we even finish first because our offense has a knack of putting our defense in tough spots at times. We need sacks and take aways to be "legendary". Those are so much harder to get these days.

Edit: I should mention that I think the Jags have hands down the best defense in the league right now. Ravens and Bears are good, but Jags have the better depth and are elite on all three levels. I'd even venture to say we can stand with some of the great defenses of the past. I just dont think were going to finish with the sexiest stats. Were already on pace to have dramatically less sacks/picks this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-01-2018, 12:17 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 11:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Doesn't that argument only help the Jags' Defenses case though? Being dominate in an era that is trying to make it as hard as possible to play Defense?

Maybe, but were only first in yards/points. Those are boring stats and honestly I doubt we even finish first because our offense has a knack of putting our defense in tough spots at times. We need sacks and take aways to be "legendary". Those are so much harder to get these days.

You win or lose because of points.. How's that a boring stat? The entire game is literally based around scoring points lol...

(10-01-2018, 12:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 12:17 AM)Inziladun Wrote: Maybe, but were only first in yards/points. Those are boring stats and honestly I doubt we even finish first because our offense has a knack of putting our defense in tough spots at times. We need sacks and take aways to be "legendary". Those are so much harder to get these days.

You win or lose because of points.. How's that a boring stat? The entire game is literally based around scoring points lol...

I agree with you. But I dont think many people are going to see it that way. When we were getting 10 sacks a game last year, we were being compared go the 85 bears. A team who shut out the giants, rams and held the Patriots to 10 points in the superbowl, during their playoff run. Think about that. The team only let up 10 points in the entire playoffs.

Obviously points allowed is the ONLY stat that matters. But we were being compared to them because of our sack totals... lol.

Obviously we have a long way to go to cement a legacy. I dont think we'd ever be considered as good as those teams because of the rules in the NFL these days. I dont think people will be generous and take the BS penalties and rules into consideration when evaluating us 10-15 years from now.

I talk about Marino all the time. 62-7 baby!