Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Play Calling vs tacks

OK. This topic keeps getting re-hashed in multiple threads, so let's discuss it here. 

Whether you think Hackett was not creative enough, didn't go downfield enough, of utilized personnel poorly, whatever your take, here's a quick analysis of the first two quarters. :

In the first half the Jags offense ran 14 plays from shotgun and 14 plays form under center. Here's how that broke down. 

UNDER CENTER PASSING: 8 passes for 45 yards  -5.6 per attempt  - one throwaway, three hurries or bad pockets
SHOTGUN PASSING :   11 passes  -  24 yds -  3 drops - 2 badly thrown incompletions - two hurries/bad pockets

Runs under center: 6 for 23 - 3.8 yd per run
Runs shotgun  :  5 for 15 yards - 3 yds per

The drops, the missed throws, the hurries that people keep saying never happened, and the 4 penalties for 30 yards were far and away a much larger issue than any playcalling IMO. Much larger. Execution was just plain bad.

You want to find some issue with the playcalling?  Question running Grant between the tackles several times - especially with Chris reed getting beat like a drum on a third of the running snaps. Getting the speedy COP back the ball in space shouldn't be an elusive concept. With Fournette out and Yeldon banged up - give Wilds those inside carries.

If you remove 5 of the 9 unforced errors made by the offensive players on the field in the first half, the Jags are probably going in the locker room up 14-3 at the half.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I thought y'all were on to the Jets....
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(10-01-2018, 03:04 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: I thought y'all were on to the Jets....

Onto the Chiefs...

(10-01-2018, 03:05 PM)Inziladun Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:04 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: I thought y'all were on to the Jets....

Onto the Chiefs...

Yeah them too.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 03:09 PM by JAGFAN88.)

So in the first half he threw 2 bad passes. You know what that is better then most QBs in the NFL ill take it.

Also to me RBB5 is a rytheme QB he needs to get in rythem and stay there. The fact the Defense as good as it was could not get any 3 and outs after mary got in, to give the offense more opportunites to get in a rythem with play calling and such, i think that had alot to do with the performance.

LOL

Week 14 can't come soon enough, hillbilly boy.

(10-01-2018, 03:07 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: So in the first half he threw 2 bad passes. You know what that is better then most QBs in the NFL ill take it.

Also to me RBB5 is a rytheme QB he needs to get in rythem and stay there. The fact the Defense as good as it was could not get any 3 and outs to give the offense more opportunites to get in a rythem with play calling and such,  i think that had alot to do with the performance.

You are missing the point. 

Out of 19 pass attempts there were player errors made on five of them and poor protection on five of them. This makes it tough for any type of play calling to succeed.  This thread is not about BLake Bortles, though I know they all are in your mind.

(10-01-2018, 03:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Oh
LOL

(10-01-2018, 03:07 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: So in the first half he threw 2 bad passes. You know what that is better then most QBs in the NFL ill take it.

Also to me RBB5 is a rytheme QB he needs to get in rythem and stay there. The fact the Defense as good as it was could not get any 3 and outs to give the offense more opportunites to get in a rythem with play calling and such,  i think that had alot to do with the performance.

You are missing the point. 

Out of 19 pass attempts there were player errors made on five of them and poor protection on five of them. This makes it tough for any type of play calling to succeed.  This thread is not about BLake Bortles, though I know they all are in your mind.
Oh i know what your saying that was for the know it alls who are saying that RBB5 had a bad game. It was the whole team with bad protection, bad execution, bad errors, it wasnt just one guy.

Jags shoould come get me. I can give them right play calls to win vs tittians.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(10-01-2018, 02:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OK. This topic keeps getting re-hashed in multiple threads, so let's discuss it here. 

Whether you think Hackett was not creative enough, didn't go downfield enough, of utilized personnel poorly, whatever your take, here's a quick analysis of the first two quarters. :

In the first half the Jags offense ran 14 plays from shotgun and 14 plays form under center. Here's how that broke down. 

UNDER CENTER PASSING: 8 passes for 45 yards  -5.6 per attempt  - one throwaway, three hurries or bad pockets
SHOTGUN PASSING :   11 passes  -  24 yds -  3 drops - 2 badly thrown incompletions - two hurries/bad pockets

The drops, the missed throws, the hurries that people keep saying never happened, and the 4 penalties for 30 yards were far and away a much larger issue than any playcalling IMO. Much larger. Execution was just plain bad.

You want to find some issue with the playcalling?  Question running Grant between the tackles several times - especially with Chris reed getting beat like a drum on a third of the running snaps. Getting the speedy COP back the ball in space shouldn't be an elusive concept. With Fournette out and Yeldon banged up - give Wilds those inside carries.

If you remove 5 of the 9 unforced errors made by the offensive players on the field in the first half, the Jags are probably going in the locker room up 14-3 at the half.
Honestly, not sure it is any one thing. What I've noticed is the first 10-15 scripted plays are basically the same every game. For folks that are impatient, it can be rough to watch our RBs running straight into the teeth of the defense or checks directly into strong side of the defense. What I'd like to see is a little more unpredictability and perhaps taking chances early on. The first half of the jets game was pretty mundane and involved very little risk . Pretty much leaned heavily on the expectation the defense was in control. I like the change of scenery the pats game offered. The offense showed some teeth. In my opinion, because of the high percentage design of this offense and how it is geared towards give and take, I don't think we really understand how explosive it could be. I'd love to see more aggression early. There are a few games coming up that will require more aggression.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I'd rather not rehash it yet again lol

I'm enjoying victory Monday.
And tomorrow I'm on to the chefs.

Great googly moogly.

(10-01-2018, 03:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL

Are you charging the Titans rent for the space they're occupying in your head?  Let it go, bro.  Week 14 will be here before you know it, dirty yankee.  You have enough to worry about this week with the Chiefs.

(10-01-2018, 03:24 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 02:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OK. This topic keeps getting re-hashed in multiple threads, so let's discuss it here. 

Honestly, not sure it is any one thing. What I've noticed is the first 10-15 scripted plays are basically the same every game....

It's never just one thing. But many folks keep blaming it on one thing; play-calling. 

The scripted plays against the tacks were actually a change up as Fournette was out and they ran Grant out of the gun several times when you might have sen LF out of a power set otherwise. They also threw the ball more than they ran it early on. 
First three drives were 15 passes and 6 runs (including the fake punt handoff). I didn't really see anything vanilla, mundane are obvious about the script. They just didn't execute. Could have been a bit smarter with Grant IMO, but that's about it.

(10-01-2018, 03:30 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Are you charging the Titans rent for the space they're occupying in your head?  Let it go, bro.  Week 14 will be here before you know it, dirty yankee.  You have enough to worry about this week with the Chiefs.

Just trying to settle down a few folks still blaming the wrong people for the Jags gift to the stinking tacks last week. 

I'm already on to the chefs. 

Shouldn't you be trolling some iggles board right now?

(10-01-2018, 03:26 PM)Kane Wrote: I'd rather not rehash it yet again lol

Great googly moogly.

Like, for real mate.  What better way to feed the half-witted inbreeds from tack valley than to start a thread rehashing how we lost to them?  Ugh

We lost, they are obsessed with us, and genuinely disrespect us.  Screw the titans, on to Arrowhead.

Thread fail.  Or move it to the Division Section or something.  Otherwise, you attract more chest thumping buffoons.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(10-01-2018, 03:05 PM)Inziladun Wrote:

Onto the Chiefs...

This

(10-01-2018, 03:47 PM)BritJag Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:26 PM)Kane Wrote: I'd rather not rehash it yet again lol

Great googly moogly.

Like, for real mate.  What better way to feed the half-witted inbreeds from tack valley than to start a thread rehashing how we lost to them?  Ugh

We lost, they are obsessed with us, and genuinely disrespect us.  Screw the titans, on to Arrowhead.

Thread fail.  Or move it to the Division Section or something.  Otherwise, you attract more chest thumping buffoons.

Nah.  When the topic invades five other threads and posters go on and on with misguided finger pointing - I'll give them a thread like this so I don't have to post it every single time someone brings it up elsewhere. 

It'll go away soon enough and you'll get over it.

I blame hackett for the loss to the tacks..
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(10-01-2018, 03:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:24 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Honestly, not sure it is any one thing. What I've noticed is the first 10-15 scripted plays are basically the same every game....

It's never just one thing. But many folks keep blaming it on one thing; play-calling. 

The scripted plays against the tacks were actually a change up as Fournette was out and they ran Grant out of the gun several times when you might have sen LF out of a power set otherwise. They also threw the ball more than they ran it early on. 
First three drives were 15 passes and 6 runs (including the fake punt handoff). I didn't really see anything vanilla, mundane are obvious about the script. They just didn't execute. Could have been a bit smarter with Grant IMO, but that's about it.

(10-01-2018, 03:30 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Are you charging the Titans rent for the space they're occupying in your head?  Let it go, bro.  Week 14 will be here before you know it, dirty yankee.  You have enough to worry about this week with the Chiefs.

Just trying to settle down a few folks still blaming the wrong people for the Jags gift to the stinking tacks last week. 

They're not nearly as fun as Jags fans.  Was a nice win for the Titans though.  I was there to enjoy it despite the handful of Philly fans behind me singing their stupid little fly eagles fly song.

(10-01-2018, 04:24 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's never just one thing. But many folks keep blaming it on one thing; play-calling. 

They're not nearly as fun as Jags fans.  Was a nice win for the Titans though.  I was there to enjoy it despite the handful of Philly fans behind me singing their stupid little fly eagles fly song.

Loved seeing the tacks go straight for the dumb eagle fans after that walkoff touchdown. Cry eagles cry
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(10-01-2018, 04:28 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 04:24 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: They're not nearly as fun as Jags fans.  Was a nice win for the Titans though.  I was there to enjoy it despite the handful of Philly fans behind me singing their stupid little fly eagles fly song.

Loved seeing the tacks go straight for the dumb eagle fans after that walkoff touchdown. Cry eagles cry

They were salty as hell.  So much fun.