Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles passing chart week 4

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 05:41 PM by JagsorDie.)

[Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-4_1538342169684.jpeg]

We looked at his stats last week when we talked about the lack of shots he was taking down field so I figured I would do the same for this week.

Week 4- 10/39 shots taken for 10+ yrds and 2 that were +20

compared to week 3- 5/34 shots taken for 10+ yrds and 0 that were +20

I read some people complaining about the play calling but I didn't see much of a difference. I think it lies on bortles and him just not pulling the trigger on the deep/ intermediate ball last week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He’s an NFL QB so he knows when to pull the trigger and when not to. Not being rude but we don’t know the game plan or what he sees.

388 yards is unheard of around these parts.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM by JagsorDie.)

(10-02-2018, 05:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He’s an NFL QB so he knows when to pull the trigger and when not to. Not being rude but we don’t know the game plan or what he sees.

388 yards is unheard of around these parts.

I agree. he was facing to different D defenses which have game plans that never are disclosed to us fans. Last week, I just got the feeling that they were getting pressure from the titans D and he was going to the check down early in his progression. I don't blame him for doing this seeing how he didn't turn the ball over. All I was pointing out was the difference in his charts in the two games. he doubled his attempts down field and double his stats as well.

(10-02-2018, 05:40 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-4_1538342169684.jpeg]

We looked at his stats last week when we talked about the lack of shots he was taking down field so I figured I would do the same for this week.

I read some people complaining about the play calling but I didn't see much of a difference. I think it lies on bortles and him just not pulling the trigger on the deep/ intermediate ball last week.

Rewatching that tacks game yesterday, I noticed 4 plays when Blake opted for an underneath target when there was an open receiver further downfield. Not really that big of a deal to me really, but I do agree that the play calling finger pointers aren't paying close enough attention.

The jets secondary were all over the place in their zone. The Titans secondary on the other hand has us on lock down.

I'd expect Blake to play closer to the jets game this week, rhY chiefs defense is very ungood.

Bortles might go for 450 against the Chiefs defense.

(10-02-2018, 06:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: The jets secondary were all over the place in their zone. The Titans secondary on the other hand has us on lock down.

I'd expect Blake to play closer to the jets game this week, rhY chiefs defense is very ungood.

Like your takes.

Hey - yooooo!
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Still as conservative as it gets on the whole.

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/10...5832731653

(10-02-2018, 08:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Still as conservative as it gets on the whole.

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/10...5832731653

I wonder how many feel the Saints offense is "conservative."

I wonder how many would say the Saints' offense is ineffective, assuming they would classify it as conservative.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-02-2018, 08:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Still as conservative as it gets on the whole.

And 3-1

Conservative can still work just fine in this league.   And you know as well as I do that they don't play conservatively against every opponent.  They alter their approach weekly.

(10-02-2018, 08:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I wonder how many feel the Saints offense is "conservative."

I wonder how many would say the Saints' offense is ineffective, assuming they would classify it as conservative.

No one said conservative meant ineffective. Especially not when a lot of that is passing behind the LoS to one of the most dynamic players in the entire league.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-02-2018, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 05:40 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-4_1538342169684.jpeg]

Rewatching that tacks game yesterday, I noticed 4 plays when Blake opted for an underneath target when there was an open receiver further downfield. Not really that big of a deal to me really, but I do agree that the play calling finger pointers aren't paying close enough attention.

Guilty as charged in my case.

Last week, I wondered whether the injury to Cam Robinson had an adverse impact on play calling as it pertained to attacking Tennessee deep.

While I felt that such an adjustment was understandable and even advisable under the circumstances, I wondered if perhaps they went too far in making that adjustment.

I didn't bother to think (or at least express it in my posts on the subject) that duh, maybe Bortles simply didn't pull the trigger on a downfield route called by the coaches and run by the receivers.

What you typed above was borne out in the commentary during the Jets game. 

Mea culpa.

(10-02-2018, 08:44 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 08:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I wonder how many feel the Saints offense is "conservative."

No one said conservative meant ineffective. Especially not when a lot of that is passing behind the LoS to one of the most dynamic players in the entire league.

Lots of people think conservative football means ineffective football.

Come to the board after a loss where the offense was ineffective.  Not just after the Tennessee game.  Over the years.

It certainly can be, but it doesn't have to mean that. Like I said, especially when a lot of it is because you're getting the ball in the hands of Kamara a ton.

(10-02-2018, 08:44 PM)Upper Wrote:

I assume you're talking about Westbrook's 110 yards after catch figure? 

Ninja Tongue

(10-02-2018, 08:55 PM)Upper Wrote: It certainly can be, but it doesn't have to mean that. Like I said, especially when a lot of it is because you're getting the ball in the hands of Kamara a ton.

We agree on this point.

Conservative =/= ineffective, especially with a play caller like Payton, a QB like Brees, and a back like Kamara.

(10-02-2018, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 08:55 PM)Upper Wrote: It certainly can be, but it doesn't have to mean that. Like I said, especially when a lot of it is because you're getting the ball in the hands of Kamara a ton.

We agree on this point.

Conservative =/= ineffective, especially with a play caller like Payton, a QB like Brees, and a back like Kamara.
This is where I am. We compare him to a HOF QB with insane options out of the back field to our young gun who has minimal options in comparison, but we will anyway lol. To me it comes down to what I said in the OP- hit the options that we have, on their go to routes(Moncrief on a go route) or what ever may flash. As far as I have seen, that is the first time we exploited Moncrief on a flat out go route on the outside in single coverage. I know that may have been the only time thus far this route has flashed open, but good lord did it look pretty and our FA and QB nailed it given the opportunity.

just for a reference to compare these to.

week 2 vs pats
[Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-2_1537143068984.jpeg]
18 shots over 10+ yrds 

week 3 vs tacks
[Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-3_1537737160147.jpeg]
6 shots over 10+ yrds

(10-02-2018, 09:10 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We agree on this point.

This is where I am. We compare him to a HOF QB with insane options out of the back field to our young gun who has minimal options in comparison, but we will anyway lol. To me it comes down to what I said in the OP- hit the options that we have, on their go to routes(Moncrief on a go route) or what ever may flash. As far as I have seen, that is the first time we exploited Moncrief on a flat out go route on the outside in single coverage. I know that may have been the only time thus far this route has flashed open, but good lord did it look pretty and our FA and QB nailed it given the opportunity.

Won't be the last. 

Moncrief is fast enough to exploit #2 corners on several of the teams he'll face this season.

(10-02-2018, 09:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2018, 09:10 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: This is where I am. We compare him to a HOF QB with insane options out of the back field to our young gun who has minimal options in comparison, but we will anyway lol. To me it comes down to what I said in the OP- hit the options that we have, on their go to routes(Moncrief on a go route) or what ever may flash. As far as I have seen, that is the first time we exploited Moncrief on a flat out go route on the outside in single coverage. I know that may have been the only time thus far this route has flashed open, but good lord did it look pretty and our FA and QB nailed it given the opportunity.

Won't be the last. 

Moncrief is fast enough to exploit #2 corners on several of the teams he'll face this season.

the beauty of the whole route was BB dropping a dime on him in stride right at the point he beat his coverage. Couple that with the mic'ed up piece of him giving hackette crap about making him throw back shoulder fades to him on previous routes and it has to make wonder how many times that read has been called lol.

We play into what defenses give us. Some teams live and die by giving us the underneath stuff, but we have some nice yac wideouts so we usually see great success when the shallow crossers are open. Tennessee played us perfect, took away the shallow stuff and we never made them pay by attacking them downfield like we did the Jets and Patriots. All it takes is one or two completions and you get a more honest defense. I am ok with how the offense is playing at the moment, but by November I hope we have some form of run game going.