Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All that wasted money

someone tell me how much money against the cap we can save by cutting bortles after this season please

and look at next years schedule, we play the NFC south and the AFC west if I am not mistaken... next year is going to be BRUTAL

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-07-2018, 10:28 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: someone tell me how much money against the cap we can save by cutting bortles after this season please

and look at next years schedule, we play the NFC south and the AFC west if I am not mistaken... next year is going to be BRUTAL

4.5 mil

took 15 seconds to google "bortles contract" 

they'd save his 21 mil salary for 2019 but owe 16.5 in dead money

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 02:33 AM by Upper.)

(10-07-2018, 08:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 55 million dollars IS INDEED a lot of money despite you denying it -  and that 55 mil affects the cap negatively.

What is 55 million? If you didn't get so hung up on the semantics (and we know that nitpicking at the expense of context is a specialty of yours) of what was guaranteed vs what is essentially guaranteed, because everyone agrees no way we're cutting Bortles next year and eating that dead cap, then the difference is Cousins 31 mil minus Bortles 5 mil in dead cap for 2020. So, the tangible number is 26 million. Cousins is a hell of a lot more than 26 million three years down the road better than Bortles.

And again, that 26 mil difference is only if Bortles is so bad that he nukes two years of our championship window and we decide he must be cut. By that point anyone worried about saving 26 mil in year 3 has already lost the point.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 03:11 AM by knarnn.)

(10-07-2018, 08:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Taking Chark over Mason Rudolph was a huge mistake.

Chark was a 2nd round pick. Rudolph was a 3rd round pick. And Rudolph couldn’t even beat out Josh Dobbs for the QB2 duties. He’d be a non factor here and inactive on game days just like he is in Pittsburgh.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(10-08-2018, 03:09 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Taking Chark over Mason Rudolph was a huge mistake.

Chark was a 2nd round pick. Rudolph was a 3rd round pick. And Rudolph couldn’t even beat out Josh Dobbs for the QB2 duties. He’d be a non factor here and inactive on game days just like he is in Pittsburgh.

Its because Dodd lit it up in pre season.  Rudolph was gone before our 3rd pick, we would of had to take him in the 2nd.  Rudolph is the future at the QB position for Pit.

(10-07-2018, 09:28 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 09:17 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Right now. There's a lot of season left. 

The team is actually starting this season in a very similar fashion to last season.

We’re also playing a first place schedule instead of a last place schedule and we’re not sneaking up on anybody. We’re not scoring defensive TDs at the same clip we were last year and our QB play is nothing to write home about. Injury bug is also hitting us hard this season. I’m just trying to be realistic about how this team is playing, and right now they honestly don’t look like a playoff team much less a Super Bowl team. Hope I’m wrong because that’s some crow I’d love to eat.

You know, I’ve really been trying to nail down the exact encapsulation of what’s wrong with the Jags right now, and you hit the nail on the head. 

Gonna be full meltdown mode when we drop one to the Cowboys on Sunday

(10-07-2018, 10:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 10:28 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: someone tell me how much money against the cap we can save by cutting bortles after this season please

4.5 mil

honestly, if he continues this play the rest of the year, I cut him after this season and move on... save the 4.5 next year and the 21 against the cap the following.. I dont care about dead money as I am not paying it

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(10-08-2018, 08:08 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 10:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 4.5 mil

honestly, if he continues this play the rest of the year, I cut him after this season and move on... save the 4.5 next year and the 21 against the cap the following.. I dont care about dead money as I am not paying it

Pretty much better to just keep him because a decent back up will cost about ~4.5M or more. Blakes an average starter and would be one of the best back ups in the league. Problem is with average as a starter at QB near impossible to win a SB without an amazing coach. Pederson was able to get Foles to play godly during the run last year, we need a better HC if we are going to be average at QB. Can't be average at both.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 09:36 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-07-2018, 05:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: 19 millions or so on Bortles
Like 13 on Norwell
Moncrief
Lee
Hayden
ASJ

Norwell has been only ok all the others are mediocre at best, we could have had Cousins and A Rob. 

Fournette over Mahomes
Smoot might as well be released 3rd round pick wasted like B. Anger

And before someone says "but but but if we signed Cousins we wouldn't be to resign our great defensive players" well our "great" defense just got roflstomped by the #1 offense. 

Ngakoue is pretty good but not great, doesn't deserve to break the bank. His sack was, in part, thanks to Fowler.

R-E-L-A-X. Our team got it's [BLEEP] handed to them by an excellent football team. And we all know this offense is hit or miss. It's been an ongoing trend all year. 

Giants - FLAT
Patriots - GREAT
tacks - FLAT
Jets - GREAT
Chiefs - FLAT

There was going to eventually be a game where this offense would be required to keep up with an even better and well rounded offense. That day was yesterday. It's ONE game. We were 3 point underdogs to begin with. Was this loss embarrassing? Sure. But remember last year? When they got embarrassed by the tacks at home? And then by Arizona and San Francisco on the road? We still went onto have a great year. It's a marathon. Not a sprint. 

Breath my friend. Breath...
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-07-2018, 10:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

4.5 mil

You could have used that time to save money by getting a quote from Geico.

What all of you are ignoring is that Defense isn't important anymore. Sure I'd love to keep our defense like the rest of ya'll, but this game favors the offense, were stacking the decks against ourselves by spending all of our cap space on defensive talent. It certainly doesnt help that our defense takes a "what you see is what you get" approach and literally runs the same scheme that half the league does. Better to hand pick a few of our standouts coming off rookie contracts, and go heavy offense next offseason. The shame of it all is we missed out on quite a few opportunities that would have us sitting really pretty RIGHT NOW, with potentially a top offense and top defense. Now were going to be forced to pick one, and I say we pick the side that the game of football favors these days.

Also Cousins would have saved our team this year. Anyone who's just judging him based on the Vikings total wins are not looking at the real picture. I dont think Cousins is anything special, but he is a tier better than Bortles. It doesnt matter if we have to cut defensive talent to keep him, our expensive guys are old anyway and our rookies should just take over their cap space.

(10-08-2018, 09:50 AM)Inziladun Wrote: What all of you are ignoring is that Defense isn't important anymore. Sure I'd love to keep our defense like the rest of ya'll, but this game favors the offense, were stacking the decks against ourselves by spending all of our cap space on defensive talent. It certainly doesnt help that our defense takes a "what you see is what you get" approach and literally runs the same scheme that half the league does. Better to hand pick a few of our standouts coming off rookie contracts, and go heavy offense next offseason. The shame of it all is we missed out on quite a few opportunities that would have us sitting really pretty RIGHT NOW, with potentially a top offense and top defense. Now were going to be forced to pick one, and I say we pick the side that the game of football favors these days.

Also Cousins would have saved our team this year. Anyone who's just judging him based on the Vikings total wins are not looking at the real picture. I dont think Cousins is anything special, but he is a tier better than Bortles. It doesnt matter if we have to cut defensive talent to keep him, our expensive guys are old anyway and our rookies should just take over their cap space.

Sadly this is very true. The game is absolutely tailored for the offense, and you have a very good point. I think though that having a pass rush is worth spending money. Like the Bears with Mack and the Rams with Donald. You can build a defense around those types of players and then spend the rest on offense. Offense is the way the game is now. Spending the entire cap on defense would be pretty dumb, it's a valid point you bring up.

(10-08-2018, 09:50 AM)Inziladun Wrote: What all of you are ignoring is that Defense isn't important anymore. Sure I'd love to keep our defense like the rest of ya'll, but this game favors the offense, were stacking the decks against ourselves by spending all of our cap space on defensive talent. It certainly doesnt help that our defense takes a "what you see is what you get" approach and literally runs the same scheme that half the league does. Better to hand pick a few of our standouts coming off rookie contracts, and go heavy offense next offseason. The shame of it all is we missed out on quite a few opportunities that would have us sitting really pretty RIGHT NOW, with potentially a top offense and top defense. Now were going to be forced to pick one, and I say we pick the side that the game of football favors these days.

It was one game. It doesn't define nor make or break our season. Still plenty of football left. R-E-L-A-X. 

No sense in getting caught up in the "what if's" and "could have been's". Mahomes is successful in Kansas City because he's successful in Kansas City. It doesn't mean it would translate to success anywhere else in the NFL. Same thing goes for Cousins. They broke the bank for that guy and even though he's looked good here and there in a few games. Guess what? You're what your record says you are.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-08-2018, 02:32 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 55 million dollars IS INDEED a lot of money despite you denying it -  and that 55 mil affects the cap negatively.

What is 55 million? If you didn't get so hung up on the semantics (and we know that nitpicking at the expense of context is a specialty of yours) of what was guaranteed vs what is essentially guaranteed, because everyone agrees no way we're cutting Bortles next year and eating that dead cap, then the difference is Cousins 31 mil minus Bortles 5 mil in dead cap for 2020. So, the tangible number is 26 million. Cousins is a hell of a lot more than 26 million three years down the road better than Bortles.

And again, that 26 mil difference is only if Bortles is so bad that he nukes two years of our championship window and we decide he must be cut. By that point anyone worried about saving 26 mil in year 3 has already lost the point.
 You just did exactly what you accused me of.  Hilarious. 

I'm glad you think think Cousins contract wouldn't have hurt our cap and screwed the longevity of out defensive core. 
I think it would have - and that's at least one reason the Jags didn't do it. They clearly think 26 mil in 2020 is a much bigger deal than you do. I've made my point clear ad nauseum. 

I refuse to belabour that point with you any longer because you do this same little song and dance every time where you try to make it about my "method of debate" or whatever.  I just plainly disagree with you about shouldering that contract. The team wanted to use the money elsewhere, clearly, and I don't fault them for it.  It's that simple. 
 Moving on...

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 11:18 AM by Inziladun.)

(10-08-2018, 10:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

It was one game. It doesn't define nor make or break our season. Still plenty of football left. R-E-L-A-X. 

No sense in getting caught up in the "what if's" and "could have been's". Mahomes is successful in Kansas City because he's successful in Kansas City. It doesn't mean it would translate to success anywhere else in the NFL. Same thing goes for Cousins. They broke the bank for that guy and even though he's looked good here and there in a few games. Guess what? You're what your record says you are.

None of what I'm saying is based on one game. And Cousins with this team is 4-1 or 5-0. Vikings have lost on the backs of their defense not the other way around. I'd give the front office a pass on Mahomes, although I don't think his innate talent or ability stems from him being in Kansas City, the guy can throw the ball, which is more than our QB can do half the time. My only problem with Cousins is his reputation for choking. Ironically Bortles has done the opposite outside the Buffalo game, but other than that, Cousins is superior in every other way. I'm all for Bortles, I desperately want him to be the guy. His personality fits this team like a glove and he's a home grown Florida Boy. Not much to dislike in the man. But he's too inconsistent. I wonder if everyone will continue to defend him 3 years from now if we wasted away a superbowl window and we're onto a new QB.

Anyway, all this and I'm not even saying Cousins is the answer for our future. In fact, I don't believe that at all. I just think he was the answer for the next couple of years. But oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. This team does need a change in philosophy moving forward though and that is what i'm curious to see more than anything.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 11:37 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-08-2018, 11:12 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 10:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It was one game. It doesn't define nor make or break our season. Still plenty of football left. R-E-L-A-X. 

None of what I'm saying is based on one game. And Cousins with this team is 4-1 or 5-0. Vikings have lost on the backs of their defense not the other way around. I'd give the front office a pass on Mahomes, although I don't think his innate talent or ability stems from him being in Kansas City, the guy can throw the ball, which is more than our QB can do half the time. My only problem with Cousins is his reputation for choking. Ironically Bortles has done the opposite outside the Buffalo game, but other than that, Cousins is superior in every other way. I'm all for Bortles, I desperately want him to be the guy. His personality fits this team like a glove and he's a home grown Florida Boy. Not much to dislike in the man. But he's too inconsistent. I wonder if everyone will continue to defend him 3 years from now if we wasted away a superbowl window and we're onto a new QB.

Anyway, all this and I'm not even saying Cousins is the answer for our future. In fact, I don't believe that at all. I just think he was the answer for the next couple of years. But oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. This team does need a change in philosophy moving forward though and that is what i'm curious to see more than anything.

How do you come to the conclusion that this team is undefeated right now or only 4 - 1 with Cousins though? Our offense is a wreck right now with all of the injuries that have been sustained. 

Marqise Lee - Gone
Cam Robinson - Gone
Corey Grant - Gone now
Leonard Fournette - Gone for now, hope to have him back by November

Then you have guys like Brandon Linder and A.J Cann who just seem to get dinged up enough to where they at least miss a game or two each season. Yeldon has been dealing with an ankle injury and ASJ has also been nicked up. 

This offense is also still relatively young. Cole and Westbrook are still 2nd year players. And they weren't big names when we landed them last year to begin with. It takes time. Cousins has Diggs, Thielen and Rudloph with the Vikings.

That's a much better trio than what he would have here in Jacksonville. And you can't say that it's Cousins making them look good because they looked good over the last two to three years with Bridgewater and Keenum throwing it around.

The Vikings offensive line has allowed the most pressures in the NFL by a fair margin. So we can set aside the Oline arguement. I won't challenge you on Diggs and Thielen. Those two are ballers. But Cole and Dede have their moments and their younger. I think they can put up good numbers.

Our offense is simple man, Cousins can make the throws better than Bortles can. And I think that's good enough to win the KC game and PROBABLY the Titans game. But we always find ways to lose to the titans so I threw that in as a possible loss.

I'm not saying Cousins has us undefeated the whole way. Theres definitely ups and downs, but hes better than Bortles, publicly listed us as a possible destination and we had a chance to go for him. But we didnt... and all people say is it's to conserve cap space for our defense that were going to lose most of anyway.

(10-08-2018, 11:12 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 10:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It was one game. It doesn't define nor make or break our season. Still plenty of football left. R-E-L-A-X. 

While I don't agree with the gross generalization that "defense doesn't matter anymore"   -    I do think think that the rule changes and league intentions are favoring offensive production and that puts defenses a little bit behind the eight ball compared to 10-15 years ago. 
 Elite defenses can still take over games, but there are a handful of offensive minds out there who are finding ways to overcome those defenses at times. 

None of this dissuades me from wanting to keep the Jags young defensive core intact moving forward in the slightest. But it does make me long for an offense better equipped to keep up with those teams. 

That said - this offense actually isn't very far off from that when healthy - and when they don't commit multiple turnovers. They are actually "very nearly there" when those requirements are met. We just didn't meet them vs the chefs and things got ugly. 

It'll be an uphill battle for this offense as long as injuries persist, bad QB play emerges or play-calling takes a questionable turn.  But they still have enough in the tank to score points to win against the majority of this year's opponents. 

Don't let one game define the season outlook for the Jags.  We don't play the chefs every week. Blake won't self destruct every week. Hackett won't make dumb decisions every week either.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM by SamusAranX.)

I understand the concerns about cap hits with Cousins.

The problem is, at some point, this franchise will have to break the bank on a QB. Whether it’s a free agent stud or a rookie we drafted and developed and now onto his star contract...this is now a league of QB have’s and have nots.

For whatever reason, this franchise has been gun shy on drafting QBs constantly and/or bringing in competition. Even Belichick drafts a QB high (2/3 round) every couple drafts. We passed on Rodgers; we passed on Roethlisberger ; we drafted a punter in the third round (Smdh) when Russell Wilson was still available. Then last year they decided we were A ok with Bortles and passed on Mahomes for a running back. It’s quite depressing to look back on our track record to be honest.

I agree we shouldn’t of signed cousins; but not for the cap reason; again at some point we need to stop beating around the bush and get a QB and not stop drafting them; or be open to trying to find the next Brees in FA. I just think Cousins is overrated and therefore not worth the asking price

(10-08-2018, 11:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:  ...again at some point we need to stop beating around the bush and get a QB and not stop drafting them...

I agree with this statement.  I would have liked to see them draft a contingency plan developmental guy in early-mid rounds before now. And I hope they can identify and draft one early in the 2019 draft to take over in 2020. 

While I haven't completely given up on Blake as many have, I'm letting go of the notion that he'll ever be consistently good for more than three or four games consecutively. The track record has become quite plain that way.
That will probably be enough to see him walk after 2019 if it holds true.