Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurricane Michael

Hurricane Michael now up to 140 mph will make landfall as a category 4 and possibly a 5.  It will be the worst storm for the panhandle in 100 years.

Wish me luck, I'm in Panama City.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-10-2018, 07:38 AM)MyBloodIsTeal Wrote: Hurricane Michael now up to 140 mph will make landfall as a category 4 and possibly a 5.  It will be the worst storm for the panhandle in 100 years.

Stay safe and if you can, evacuate. They are saying it could be the most powerful to hit the panhandle on record.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-10-2018, 07:38 AM)MyBloodIsTeal Wrote: Hurricane Michael now up to 140 mph will make landfall as a category 4 and possibly a 5.  It will be the worst storm for the panhandle in 100 years.

Stay safe and stay as far above ground as you can. I'm over here in Tallahassee, looks like we'll dodge the worst of it but still get some dangerous winds and flooding out of it.

Not too bad here yet.  I'm in a high area so flooding is not a concern.  I am in a mobile home though, at least mine is newer and built with 2x6 walls.

I'm shocked my Direct Tv hasn't missed a beat yet.

(10-10-2018, 09:24 AM)TJBender Wrote:

Stay safe and stay as far above ground as you can. I'm over here in Tallahassee, looks like we'll dodge the worst of it but still get some dangerous winds and flooding out of it.

My niece and her husband live in Tallahassee, they are expecting 6 - 8" of rain. They have plenty of beer, ice and sandbags. Stay safe!
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Stay safe all of you and your families. Michael looks like a nasty one.

(10-10-2018, 02:04 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 09:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: Stay safe and stay as far above ground as you can. I'm over here in Tallahassee, looks like we'll dodge the worst of it but still get some dangerous winds and flooding out of it.

My niece and her husband live in Tallahassee, they are expecting 6 - 8" of rain. They have plenty of beer, ice and sandbags. Stay safe!

The rain never really materialized to the extent I thought it would, at least not on the eastern side of town, and now the whole thing is pulling away. We might get one more round of rain from this, but otherwise it's just wind at this point. Really, really strong wind, but wind. I'm amazed at how well-defined the eye still is even as it gets up into Georgia.

Power's been out here for about four hours, and it's probably going to be out for a lot longer than that. Hopefully Gillum learned his lesson from Hermine and won't send 80 mutual aid power crews home with 50% of the city is without power. If I don't have power in the morning, I'll head for a different locale, one with power and A/C.

...or I might just idle my car with the A/C on and hang out in there. With the inverter I picked up a couple weeks ago, I can keep my laptop charged (not that that's a big concern--ThinkPad batteries last forever) and remain tethered to my phone, then just hang out in the driveway for up to 14 hours before the tank runs out. I'm going to have to strongly consider that. It's a whole hell of a lot cheaper and more convenient than hotel hunting.

Heard in made landfall at 155mph wind. Just 2mph short of a Cat 5. Videos I've seen are just crazy.

Hope you're riding it out safe Blood.

(10-10-2018, 06:09 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 02:04 PM)rollerjag Wrote: My niece and her husband live in Tallahassee, they are expecting 6 - 8" of rain. They have plenty of beer, ice and sandbags. Stay safe!

The rain never really materialized to the extent I thought it would, at least not on the eastern side of town, and now the whole thing is pulling away. We might get one more round of rain from this, but otherwise it's just wind at this point. Really, really strong wind, but wind. I'm amazed at how well-defined the eye still is even as it gets up into Georgia.

Power's been out here for about four hours, and it's probably going to be out for a lot longer than that. Hopefully Gillum learned his lesson from Hermine and won't send 80 mutual aid power crews home with 50% of the city is without power. If I don't have power in the morning, I'll head for a different locale, one with power and A/C.

...or I might just idle my car with the A/C on and hang out in there. With the inverter I picked up a couple weeks ago, I can keep my laptop charged (not that that's a big concern--ThinkPad batteries last forever) and remain tethered to my phone, then just hang out in the driveway for up to 14 hours before the tank runs out. I'm going to have to strongly consider that. It's a whole hell of a lot cheaper and more convenient than hotel hunting.

Generators are not that expensive...  especially if you live in a hurricane zone...  just sayin'.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-10-2018, 06:29 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Heard in made landfall at 155mph wind. Just 2mph short of a Cat 5. Videos I've seen are just crazy.

Hope you're riding it out safe Blood.

I saw footage earlier and couldn't believe the wind was howling and blowing stuff around like it was nothing. Hopefully all of our extended Jaguars family are safe.

Hope all are well. Heading to my place in Taliaferro county this weekend with saws...
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Wow, check in to let us know if you are ok OP. Just started looking at pics of the aftermath and this one left a trail of destruction

(10-11-2018, 05:49 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Wow, check in to let us know if you are ok OP. Just started looking at pics of the aftermath and this one left a trail of destruction

It's concerning, especially considering he was in a mobile.

We're starting to get hammered here in central NC by the wind and rain. Winds are 20mph with gusts at 27mph. Supposed to get worse as the day goes on. The lights have already been flickering. The trees around our house is what I worry about. The ground is already saturated from Florence and rain we've had since then. All we need is more saturation weakening the ground with strong winds and a tree can lay waste to our house.

(10-10-2018, 08:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:09 PM)TJBender Wrote: The rain never really materialized to the extent I thought it would, at least not on the eastern side of town, and now the whole thing is pulling away. We might get one more round of rain from this, but otherwise it's just wind at this point. Really, really strong wind, but wind. I'm amazed at how well-defined the eye still is even as it gets up into Georgia.

Generators are not that expensive...  especially if you live in a hurricane zone...  just sayin'.

If I have my way, there's a good chance that this is our last year living in a hurricane zone.

(10-11-2018, 06:26 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 08:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Generators are not that expensive...  especially if you live in a hurricane zone...  just sayin'.

If I have my way, there's a good chance that this is our last year living in a hurricane zone.

I didn't think NC was so affected by hurricanes. I've now have two more direct hits from storms here than I ever did living in FL. The FL one was Floyd back in '99.

(10-11-2018, 11:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 06:26 PM)TJBender Wrote: If I have my way, there's a good chance that this is our last year living in a hurricane zone.

I didn't think NC was so affected by hurricanes. I've now have two more direct hits from storms here than I ever did living in FL. The FL one was Floyd back in '99.

I'll take my blizzards all day every day over hurricanes.

It's weird, I'd LOVE to sit through a strong hurricane if I knew I was perfectly safe. Strong storms are an awesome experience, but I don't want to worry about my roof blowing off.

Hoping you avoided catastrophe.

(10-12-2018, 09:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Hoping you avoided catastrophe.

He said he's in Panama City, which was hit pretty hard. Hope he's okay. At least he wasn't in Mexico Beach. That place was obliterated.

I sent him a PM. He may not have computer access/electricity, etc.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile