Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tampa Fires Mike Smith Would you pick him up to help steady the defense?

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 05:17 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Tampa Fires Mike Smith Would you  pick him up to help steady the defense?

I would even get rid of Marone in favor of Smith

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 05:32 PM by Eye of the Storm.)

(10-15-2018, 05:15 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Tampa Fires Mike Smith Would you  pick him up to help steady the defense?

The Bucs are ranked 20th in the league on defense and giving up nearly 35 points a game. Easy pass.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

The defense has struggled while he was in charge of it but all of these moves going forward out of Tampa Bay is just Dirk Koetter trying to cover his own [BLEEP]. He'll be fired by the end of the year and they'll be in rebuild mode next year with probably a new QB and system in place.

I wouldn't be against maybe bringing in Mike Smith on a consultant level. Kind of how they brought in Monte Kiffin a few years ago. But nothing more than that. Firing your head coach mid season to replace him with a defensive coordinator who was just fired seems pretty counter productive and drastic. LOL.

Besides. The defense is not the problem with this football team right now. It's the body bags adding up in injuries on offense that's killing us at the moment. Nothing more. Nothing less.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The stuff I see on this forum...

Smith>>>> Wash

No. He runs that stupid, Seattle hybrid 4-3 scheme. Tried that, it didn't work.

Wish we could pick up a 3-4 defensive coach

[Image: otivox4d6ac9o5qu8qkq.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-15-2018, 05:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Wish we could pick up a 3-4 defensive coach

Same. I would like to see that system at some point in Jacksonville. Traditionally over the years that scheme has proven to be a handful for most offenses provided that team had the right personnel for it. 

Smith - Jack - Jacobs - Ngakoue / Fowler Jr.?

Jackson - Dareus - Campbell / Rotation?

Would be interesting to see. I don't know if this personnel would fit that scheme in real life but it would be fun to tinker with on Madden. LOL. Could get creative with Ronnie Harrison too playing in and around the box in certain situations.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Remember when all the fans wanted Mike Smith gone because he ran soft, bend don’t break schemes, and celebrated Gregg Williams coming in to make us Blitzburgh of the Sourh? Good times

(10-15-2018, 05:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 05:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Wish we could pick up a 3-4 defensive coach

Same. I would like to see that system at some point in Jacksonville. Traditionally over the years that scheme has proven to be a handful for most offenses provided that team had the right personnel for it. 

Would be interesting to see. I don't know if this personnel would fit that scheme in real life but it would be fun to tinker with on Madden. LOL. Could get creative with Ronnie Harrison too playing in and around the box in certain situations.

We have the pieces for a 3-4 and some would fit better in it

(10-15-2018, 06:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 05:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Same. I would like to see that system at some point in Jacksonville. Traditionally over the years that scheme has proven to be a handful for most offenses provided that team had the right personnel for it. 

Nice perspective. I don't argue with you. You're probably right based on the overall speed/size on this defense. What would your starting day depth chart/rotation look like if they were to go full on 3 - 4 though?

If we went 3-4 I’d put Fowler and Yan on the field at the same time. Put Jack and Telvin in the middle. Telvin is a bit undersized but I think he could do it.

Jackson-Dareus-Campbell is a perfect 3-4 front. Taven can sub at both end spots. Jones and give Dareus an occasional breather. It could work for sure.

(10-15-2018, 06:04 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: If we went 3-4 I’d put Fowler and Yan on the field at the same time. Put Jack and Telvin in the middle. Telvin is a bit undersized but I think he could do it.

Jackson-Dareus-Campbell is a perfect 3-4 front. Taven can sub at both end spots. Jones and give Dareus an occasional breather. It could work for sure.

This

Have you seen the Bucs defense?

Like literally, do they even play defense?

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Amen, brother!

(10-15-2018, 06:04 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: If we went 3-4 I’d put Fowler and Yan on the field at the same time. Put Jack and Telvin in the middle. Telvin is a bit undersized but I think he could do it.

Even when we lose Fowler at the end of the season, I believe Jacobs would fare well as either a 3-4 ILB or a 3-4 OLB.

(10-15-2018, 06:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 05:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Same. I would like to see that system at some point in Jacksonville. Traditionally over the years that scheme has proven to be a handful for most offenses provided that team had the right personnel for it. 

I don't think so.

First off, Campbell had the best season of his career last year (and is doing pretty good this year) in our 4-3 after playing in a 3-4 his whole NFL career.  Moving him back to a 3-4 would immediately reduce his productivity and effectiveness.  We'd only have one NT on the team-Dareus.  Abry Jones and Malik Jackson are not NTs and would not be effective in that role. 

Still not sure what we'd do with Telvin Smith in a 3-4, or Jack for that matter.  I think both lose their effectiveness if they have to take on linemen directly-Smith more than Jack.

We've had two bad defensive games out of six, after this same 4-3 scheme led us to two straight top 5-10 finishes in defense and an appearance in last year's AFC championship game, and now we want to scrap the whole approach?!?

Come on guys.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-15-2018, 05:15 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Tampa Fires Mike Smith Would you  pick him up to help steady the defense?

Go home, JAGFAN88. You are drunk.

The 3-4 fits much better in Today's NFL. Its also easier to gather personnel for the scheme vs the 4-3. I think Telvin, as good as he is, would be an odd man out in a 3-4, he just lacks the size to be apart of that scheme. he could be our version of Shazier though. I think with the linemen we have we'd be set there, move Fowler to LB and we'd be good. I'd also love to see how Yan rushes standing up in the NFL.

I think Wash may be on the way out if the defense continues to struggle. I would be for trying a traditional 3-4.

It’s not as easy as people say to switch to 3-4. It’s not a switch flip. It takes a commitment, with multiple drafts that succeed to get it right.