Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The 2018 TE class

I don’t care how they do it, I want TJ Hockenson on this team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-24-2018, 02:10 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I don’t care how they do it, I want TJ Hockenson on this team.

Would love to get our new QB a safety blanket like TJ.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 03:38 PM by JackCity.)

A healthy ASJ with someone like Hockenson would be eletruc.

You can go to 2 TE sets and maul teams but still have the ability to mismatch them up the seams or have leak outs

(12-24-2018, 03:36 PM)JackCity Wrote: A healthy ASJ with someone like Hockenson would be eletruc.  

You can go to 2 TE sets and maul teams but still have the ability to mismatch them up the seams or have leak outs

That's what I want to do especially since we want to run the football. We dont have to have a true number 1 WR if we have 2 good TEs.  ASJ is a good TE and of we find a really good one in this draft it could help out our young QB and run game

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 05:39 PM by roycee.)

As far as Fant vs Hockenson goes.

I think I'd lean towards Fant, but I also think he'll go in the first round. His blocking isn't as good as Hockensons, but that's definitely something that can be worked on. As far as athleticism Fant is on another level and that could serve to create more mismatches in the passing game.

Wanting the better blocker at tight end is very on brand around here.

(12-24-2018, 05:25 PM)roycee Wrote: As far as Fant vs Hockenson goes.

I think I'd lean towards Fant, but I also think he'll go in the first round. His blocking isn't as good as Hockensons, but that's definitely something that can be worked on. As far as athleticism Fant is on another level and that could serve to create more mismatches in the passing game.

I hope we dont draft on "athleticism" again.  Its funny the same guys that want us to draft on athleticism didnt like the Bryan and Chark picks.

(12-24-2018, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:25 PM)roycee Wrote: As far as Fant vs Hockenson goes.

I hope we dont draft on "athleticism" again.  Its funny the same guys that want us to draft on athleticism didnt like the Bryan and Chark picks.

The separation between them as prospects isn't that far, and they could both be picked in the first 2 rounds. But it's unlikely that either of them would be the primary TE year one. Fant has shown that he can run block, it's just an inconsistent part of his game. Fant can be taught to be a better run blocker.

It's not drafting on athleticism. It's drafting a player that's more likely to be effective in the pass oriented NFL.

(12-24-2018, 06:03 PM)roycee Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hope we dont draft on "athleticism" again.  Its funny the same guys that want us to draft on athleticism didnt like the Bryan and Chark picks.

The separation between them as prospects isn't that far, and they could both be picked in the first 2 rounds. But it's unlikely that either of them would be the primary TE year one. Fant has shown that he can run block, it's just an inconsistent part of his game. Fant can be taught to be a better run blocker.

It's not drafting on athleticism. It's drafting a player that's more likely to be effective in the pass oriented NFL.
TJ showed he can be a pretty affective pass catcher.  He made  some pretty athletic catches and had over 700 yards receiving.  If we want a recieving TE Caleb Wilson could be our target imo

(12-24-2018, 05:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Wanting the better blocker at tight end is very on brand around here.

If we want a TE who is a really good blocker, Tommy Sweeney of Boston College fits the bill. He also shows some pretty good receiving skills when given the chance. He's just not much of a big play threat, but he is very effective.

(12-24-2018, 08:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Wanting the better blocker at tight end is very on brand around here.

If we want a TE who is a really good blocker, Tommy Sweeney of Boston College fits the bill. He also shows some pretty good receiving skills when given the chance. He's just not much of a big play threat, but he is very effective.

Everyone wants a beast like Howard or Kittle that are very good at both blocking and receiving, but if given the choice between equal overall TE prospects one who is a better receiver and one who is a better blocker we should 100% be after the one who is a better receiver.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 09:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-24-2018, 08:25 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 08:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we want a TE who is a really good blocker, Tommy Sweeney of Boston College fits the bill. He also shows some pretty good receiving skills when given the chance. He's just not much of a big play threat, but he is very effective.

Everyone wants a beast like Howard or Kittle that are very good at both blocking and receiving, but if given the choice between equal overall TE prospects one who is a better receiver and one who is a better blocker we should 100% be after the one who is a better receiver.

Get one that does both like TJ, that's the reason Fant got demoted. Kittle wasnt that good of a pass catcher in college but he was an elite blocker.

(12-24-2018, 09:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Get one that does both like TJ, that's the reason Fant got demoted. Kittle wasnt that good of a pass catcher in college but he was an elite blocker.

We'll see after the combine/pro days. Kittle was easy to project because he had the receiving flashes that showed he could do it if given more opportunity and then tested as a legitimate freakshow athlete.

(12-24-2018, 09:56 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 09:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Get one that does both like TJ, that's the reason Fant got demoted.  Kittle wasnt that good of a pass catcher in college but he was an elite blocker.

We'll see after the combine/pro days. Kittle was easy to project because he had the receiving flashes that showed he could do it if given more opportunity and then tested as a legitimate freakshow athlete.

He was so easy to project he went in the 5th round.  Most of us on this board wanted him but nobody could of predicted how good of a receiver he would be.  Most of the TEs tested good at the combine that year

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 11:39 PM by Upper.)

Yep it was a class full of great athletes at TE, and Kittle was the greatest of them all. I was pounding the table for him as early as the 2nd round.

(12-24-2018, 09:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 08:25 PM)Upper Wrote: Everyone wants a beast like Howard or Kittle that are very good at both blocking and receiving, but if given the choice between equal overall TE prospects one who is a better receiver and one who is a better blocker we should 100% be after the one who is a better receiver.

Get one that does both like TJ, that's the reason Fant got demoted.  Kittle wasnt that good of a pass catcher in college but he was an elite blocker.

I wouldn't say elite. He was good, but if I remember correctly a decent amount of scouting reports said he was aa good blocker but could become off balance as a blocker and that could lead to him being shed quickly or just missing his guy.

I was definitely on the Sprinkle or Kittle in the 4th round train.
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I didn't come away from watching Kittle's "tape" thinking he was lacking as a receiver.
So many TEs in that class had me just seeing clear upgrades to what we were dealing with in Jax.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 03:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-26-2018, 09:37 AM)roycee Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 09:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Get one that does both like TJ, that's the reason Fant got demoted.  Kittle wasnt that good of a pass catcher in college but he was an elite blocker.

I wouldn't say elite. He was good, but if I remember correctly a decent amount of scouting reports said he was aa good blocker but could become off balance as a blocker and that could lead to him being shed quickly or just missing his guy.

Kittle was an elite blocker and the best blocker in that class

(12-26-2018, 09:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I was definitely on the Sprinkle or Kittle in the 4th round train.
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I didn't come away from watching Kittle's "tape" thinking he was lacking as a receiver.
So many TEs in that class had me just seeing clear upgrades to what we were dealing with in Jax.

He wasnt a bad receiver just nowhere near the receiver he is today.  He has progressed a ton in that department

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 03:28 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-26-2018, 09:37 AM)roycee Wrote:

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...ght=Kittle

Go through this and you'll see some of his elite blocking.  There is a good thread in there as well that shows clips of how good he was. Dave was to blind to see it as usual like when he passed up on all the othere elite talent

I still believe Bucky Hodges never got a fair shake