Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bigger threat to Florida than a Category 5 Hurricane

(11-03-2018, 04:48 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 12:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Shocked the intern was arrested. That sort of behavior is usually condoned on behalf of Democrats.

Like sending pipe-bombs to Democrats is condoned by Nationalists?

We spend billions of dollars on education and people still don't know what nationalism is...  Just sad really.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-03-2018, 04:48 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 12:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Shocked the intern was arrested. That sort of behavior is usually condoned on behalf of Democrats.

Like sending pipe-bombs to Democrats is condoned by Nationalists?

Lol, sure it is...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-03-2018, 03:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 01:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: The ACA has very little to do with deductibles.
The bronze, silver, gold, grading is just about over all costs distributions and there are ways to achieve each grade with high and with low deductibles.
high-deductible plans were becoming a bigger part of the marketplace already. people are interested in high-deductible plan simply because the lower premium is the only premium they can afford.
The overall health system is just too expensive. Too many Middle Men.

ofcourse it does.  Essentially, we eliminated rating for pre-existing conditions, merged pools like maternity and mental health and eliminated lifetime caps for insurance.  That all sounds great, just like a dry aged ribeye sounds great.  IT just costs more.  In this case, that cost was passed onto the consumer in the form of higher premiums and exponentially high deductibles that are invariably leading to the kind of rationing you lamented above.  

We should have learned by now that 2000 pages of bureaucracy don't reduce costs or increase resources.  It just results in an increase in the cost of compliance and a reduction in the number of producers and thus options for consumers.  

The market has always had a solution to making healthcare more affordable.  Doctors could self insure for the lower level care and pair that with catastrophic coverage for the heart transplant/cancer diagnosis etc. etc. etc.  There are practices emerging across the country that charge $50 bucks a month per adult for unlimited visits and service and have the same discounts on prescription drugs that we all get through our insurance programs.  Why aren't these more prevalent?  Because in the previous 10's of thousands of pages of Washington crap attempted price controls etc. etc. etc. they made medical associations more difficult to set up, and basically enshrined group health coverage because of tax treatment (and as a way around post WWII wage controls).  

So what's the solution?  Have Washington stop trying to HELP like a two year old with a chainsaw trying to fix their mothers broken toe.  Let producers develop products that work for consumers.  You'd think that the absolute horror show of the VA would serve as a cautionary tale about the government running healthcare, but people still believe in fairy tales.

There is no single silver bullet.
The way insurance, both private and Medicare, is structured encourages a lot of administrative overhead especially at the hospital and inpatient physician level. It encourages a lot of waste in sending codes back and forth. The government could encourage more capitation, and that could really help, but I'm not sure.
It would also really help if we made it easier to become a doctor. It shouldn't take so many years of education and residency.  More people would do it and as the supply of physician labor increases the cost per unit will go down and the individual doctors will have more life satisfaction is they won't be expected to work so many hours.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-03-2018, 06:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 03:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote: ofcourse it does.  Essentially, we eliminated rating for pre-existing conditions, merged pools like maternity and mental health and eliminated lifetime caps for insurance.  That all sounds great, just like a dry aged ribeye sounds great.  IT just costs more.  In this case, that cost was passed onto the consumer in the form of higher premiums and exponentially high deductibles that are invariably leading to the kind of rationing you lamented above.  

We should have learned by now that 2000 pages of bureaucracy don't reduce costs or increase resources.  It just results in an increase in the cost of compliance and a reduction in the number of producers and thus options for consumers.  

The market has always had a solution to making healthcare more affordable.  Doctors could self insure for the lower level care and pair that with catastrophic coverage for the heart transplant/cancer diagnosis etc. etc. etc.  There are practices emerging across the country that charge $50 bucks a month per adult for unlimited visits and service and have the same discounts on prescription drugs that we all get through our insurance programs.  Why aren't these more prevalent?  Because in the previous 10's of thousands of pages of Washington crap attempted price controls etc. etc. etc. they made medical associations more difficult to set up, and basically enshrined group health coverage because of tax treatment (and as a way around post WWII wage controls).  

So what's the solution?  Have Washington stop trying to HELP like a two year old with a chainsaw trying to fix their mothers broken toe.  Let producers develop products that work for consumers.  You'd think that the absolute horror show of the VA would serve as a cautionary tale about the government running healthcare, but people still believe in fairy tales.

The way insurance, both private and Medicare, is structured encourages a lot of administrative overhead especially at the hospital and inpatient physician level. It encourages a lot of waste in sending codes back and forth. The government could encourage more capitation, and that could really help, but I'm not sure.
It would also really help if we made it easier to become a doctor. It shouldn't take so many years of education and residency.  More people would do it and as the supply of physician labor increases the cost per unit will go down and the individual doctors will have more life satisfaction is they won't be expected to work so many hours.

Capitation is more administrative work than fee for service, and if you want an undereducated C student providing your healthcare then more power to ya.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 05:38 PM by mikesez.)

(11-03-2018, 10:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 06:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: There is no single silver bullet.

Capitation is more administrative work than fee for service, and if you want an undereducated C student providing your healthcare then more power to ya.

I didn't say anything about a C student.
Our doctors are over educated.  They can't start competing for spots where they earn money until age 26. there is no reason to expect a doctor to earn a Bachelor of Science degree, along with all the general education that goes with that. in pretty much any other country, medical school can begin right out of high school and last six years. so residency can be done at age 24 instead of age 26. As for residency, those spots are artificially limited well below the numbers that you would see in Latin America or Europe for new doctors per population.
And once you get one of those spots they will tell you that you're expected to work for more than 24 hours straight, you can't take any time off, and even if you give birth to a child, you only get two weeks off. If you need more, you quit and you derail your career.
Basically the AMA is run by people who went through a form of hazing in order to get their medical license, and they don't want it to be any easier for the next generation even though there is no rational reason to inflict most of the abuse they inflict. Well there is, actually. When you inflict the pain, and you allow the victims to talk about how painful it is to become a doctor, fewer people want to do it and you can charge more fees. It's not about patient care though. Nothing that the AMA does is really about patient care anymore.

(11-04-2018, 05:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 10:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Capitation is more administrative work than fee for service, and if you want an undereducated C student providing your healthcare then more power to ya.

Our doctors are over educated.  They can't start competing for spots where they earn money until age 26. And those spots are artificially limited well below the numbers that you would see in Latin America or Europe for new doctors per population.
And once you get one of those spots they will tell you that you're expected to work for more than 24 hours straight, you can't take any time off, and even if you give birth to a child, you only get two weeks off. If you need more, you quit and you derail your career.
Basically the AMA is run by people who went through a form of hazing in order to get their medical license, and they don't want it to be any easier for the next generation even though there is no rational reason to inflict most of the abuse they inflict. Well there is, actually. When you inflict the pain, and you allow the victims to talk about how painful it is to become a doctor, fewer people want to do it and you can charge more fees. It's not about patient care though. Nothing that the AMA does is really about patient care anymore.

Your whole post is wrong, but it's cool. You're not the first doctor's spouse to voice that opinion. If you want undereducated midling doctors providing your care that's on you. I want the best I can get with the educational and educational assurance that the provider is battle tested.

(11-04-2018, 05:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 10:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Capitation is more administrative work than fee for service, and if you want an undereducated C student providing your healthcare then more power to ya.

Our doctors are over educated.  They can't start competing for spots where they earn money until age 26. there is no reason to expect a doctor to earn a Bachelor of Science degree, along with all the general education that goes with that. in pretty much any other country, medical school can begin right out of high school and last six years.  so residency can be done at age 24 instead of age 26. As for residency, those spots are artificially limited well below the numbers that you would see in Latin America or Europe for new doctors per population.

Good evening Mr. Friedman...  It's been a while.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 08:23 PM by mikesez.)

(11-04-2018, 05:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 05:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: I didn't say anything about a C student.
Our doctors are over educated.  They can't start competing for spots where they earn money until age 26. And those spots are artificially limited well below the numbers that you would see in Latin America or Europe for new doctors per population.

Your whole post is wrong, but it's cool. You're not the first doctor's spouse to voice that opinion. If you want undereducated midling doctors providing your care that's on you. I want the best I can get with the educational and educational assurance that the provider is battle tested.

Well if the medical community did what I said, these over educated and "battle-tested" doctors will still be available, there will just be other doctors in addition to the. if you reduce the number of credit hours required to graduate with the accredited Medical Doctorate, and broaden the number of residencies offered, there will still be elite schools and elite residencies that did not loosen their requirements. I mean you trust the free market don't you? If the free market in medicine actually works you should be able to find the doctors who have the traits you want, right?

(11-04-2018, 06:45 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 05:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Your whole post is wrong, but it's cool. You're not the first doctor's spouse to voice that opinion. If you want undereducated midling doctors providing your care that's on you. I want the best I can get with the educational and educational assurance that the provider is battle tested.

Well if the medical community did what I said, these over educated and "battle-tested" doctors will still be available, there will just be other doctors. if you reduce the number of credit hours required to graduate with the accredited Medical Doctorate, and broaden the number of residencies offered, there will still be elite schools and elite residencies that did not loosen their requirements. I mean you trust the free market don't you? If the free market in medicine actually works you should be able to find the doctors who have the traits you want, right?

As I said, C students.

(11-04-2018, 07:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 06:45 PM)mikesez Wrote: Well if the medical community did what I said, these over educated and "battle-tested" doctors will still be available, there will just be other doctors. if you reduce the number of credit hours required to graduate with the accredited Medical Doctorate, and broaden the number of residencies offered, there will still be elite schools and elite residencies that did not loosen their requirements. I mean you trust the free market don't you? If the free market in medicine actually works you should be able to find the doctors who have the traits you want, right?

As I said, C students.

Sorry.  My masters degree with 3.5 GPA doesn't understand what you mean.

Milton Friedman made the best case against the AMA and the current irritation of accreditation. Vivienne Thomas made the best practical example.

(11-03-2018, 06:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 03:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote: ofcourse it does.  Essentially, we eliminated rating for pre-existing conditions, merged pools like maternity and mental health and eliminated lifetime caps for insurance.  That all sounds great, just like a dry aged ribeye sounds great.  IT just costs more.  In this case, that cost was passed onto the consumer in the form of higher premiums and exponentially high deductibles that are invariably leading to the kind of rationing you lamented above.  

And that's another way in which government meddling in healthcare has raised costs and cut service. In 1994 or '95 Clinton passed a bill to pay medical schools to cut back on the number of doctors they graduated. Since their boy Bill signed it, the mainstream media never criticized the incredibly stupid action.

If government gets even a toe in the door, it will find a way to screw things up.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-04-2018, 09:10 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 06:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: There is no single silver bullet.

And that's another way in which government meddling in healthcare has raised costs and cut service. In 1994 or '95 Clinton passed a bill to pay medical schools to cut back on the number of doctors they graduated. Since their boy Bill signed it, the mainstream media never criticized the incredibly stupid action.

If government gets even a toe in the door, it will find a way to screw things up.

Yes it was a bill passed by the Clinton administration.  Technically what it did was reduce the number of residency positions that would be subsidized by Medicare. hospitals and other medical practices have been free all along to take on more residents, without a government subsidy, but they don't want to get blackballed by the AMA.
so they just take the extra money and spend it on Celebrity Cruises and Premier Golf Club memberships and try not to think too much about it.

Seems healthcare is much cheaper and outcomes better with more government meddling.

Healthcare doesn't work in the free market. It's too distorted and customers aren't really free or educated to choose.

(11-04-2018, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Seems healthcare is much cheaper and outcomes better with more government meddling.

Healthcare doesn't work in the free market. It's too distorted and customers aren't really free or educated to choose.

Is free rider one word or two?

(11-04-2018, 08:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: As I said, C students.

Sorry.  My masters degree with 3.5 GPA doesn't understand what you mean.

That's explains why you want lower standards for entrance to medical school.

(11-04-2018, 10:32 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Seems healthcare is much cheaper and outcomes better with more government meddling.

Is free rider one word or two?

You obviously like paying more for the same drugs... Government interference is baaaaad

Lol. U said it and u still don't get it.

Wooo ideology is great. I can pay more and get worst outcomes! But hey at least I'm true to my ideology that has been funded and shaped by corporate interests

(11-04-2018, 11:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 08:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: Sorry.  My masters degree with 3.5 GPA doesn't understand what you mean.

That's explains why you want lower standards for entrance to medical school.

What do you think I wanted to be a doctor?
or that I would have done it if it was less rigorous?
No.  From when I was old enough to see things that made me unique, I knew that I was clumsy, with jittery hands and that I don't like dealing with people much. I was always going to end up at a desk job.