Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bigger threat to Florida than a Category 5 Hurricane

(11-06-2018, 10:17 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 05:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: In my experience, a college degree is pretty much useless in most cases.  In my specific field I've had to teach Electrical Engineering graduates the basics of how electricity works and how to hook up some batteries.  I've also had to explain the process of how a renewable energy source works and how to connect it.  I have also had to show some Computer Science graduates how to properly write and compile computer programs in various languages for various platforms.  Most were pretty lost without their Windows or Mac computers/operating systems.

I don't have a degree, yet I hold and have held the title of "Engineer" for the last 18 years of my career.  I also happen to be the lead at my job and make a very nice salary (over 6 figures).

It sounds to me like the screening process worked in your case.  I want a doctor treating me or any of my family members to be a doctor because they were committed to putting in the time and effort.  I certainly wouldn't want my doctor to "relax and work just as much as needed to give a B kind of effort".

I wouldn't want that either.  I'm not saying we should let people who consistently earn B's instead of A's become medical doctors.
I am saying that we should be asking, how many years do they have to earn those A's, and how many different classes do they have to earn them in?
Does an 18 year old who knows he wants to be an MD need to take intro to Anthropology or intro to Psychology? Do they need to take the same general calculus classes as engineers or should they be taking a shorter math class that is geared to getting them through chemistry only? Do they all need the physics 2 necessary to design an MRI machine, or can they just trust that it works? Do they need to take enough statistics to create new medical trials, or should they only take enough to be able to read and understand medical trials published by others?

IMO, a college education is more than just being educated in the field you intend to go to. It is a whole education. Based on what you are saying, there should be trade schools specifically for people who want to be doctors. Just like HVAC, Plumbers, Electricians, etc. I don't believe that. I think you need tough (non-related) courses to weed out people who aren't serious about getting where they are going.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bigger threat to Florida than a Category 5 Hurricane - by StroudCrowd1 - 11-06-2018, 10:26 AM