Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Now That We Have the Extra 3rd...

(10-30-2018, 08:26 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 08:23 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Todd Gurley goes down with season ending injury last week, Rams undefeated get told that Jags will give Fournette for a 1st rounder. I can see it. It's a moot point because Jags aren't trading Fournette. I just think it's hilarious ya hating on Fournette like hes bad or something just because he pulled his hammy. Kid just needs to stretch more.

No one said he's bad.  Just not worth a 1st round pick.  Or a second.  Most RBs aren't.
Think you're wrong. But we'll never know since the Jags won't trade him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-30-2018, 08:15 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 08:07 PM)Inziladun Wrote: You acting like he wasn't a 1,000 yard rusher last year. On his rookie contract, only 23 years old, no off the field issues... you're acting like he's coming off a torn Achilles with no history in the NFL. Get out of here, Amari Drooper went for a 1st, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fournette go for a 1st to a RB needy team looking for a chip...

His college career was riddled with injuries.  Jerry Jones was the only idiot to give up a first in a trade for a WR, and Dallas doesn't need a RB.  I think any team would be suspicious if Jax is trying to dump him this quickly.  You may be able to dupe some idiot into overpaying, but I don't see it.

I'd be totally cool with someone hiring Ryan Grigson next year. Just in case we need to offload a back.

(10-30-2018, 08:00 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Lol to the people that said noone would give a 3rd for fournette...  we could probably get a 1st tbh...

LOL.  Just stop.

IF he comes back after the bye and makes a difference for this team then MAYBE someone might be stupid enough to give up a draft pick for a running back, though it certainly wouldn't be a 1st round pick.  Heck if Le'Veon Bell would have signed his tender prior to the trade deadline no team would give up a 1st round pick for him.

It just aint happening.

As far as the topic of this thread, I would hold on to the draft pick and see how this next year's draft plays out.  Contrary to most people on the board, I don't see QB as THE major issue to address with this team and wouldn't trade away draft picks to reach for a "candidate" that would be unknown.  I would be more about going for big, physical lineman (both offense and defense).  With the trade of Fowler I would also target a pass rusher (never can have too many of those).  I would also perhaps go after a TE.

With late round picks or even the un-drafted class I would look for WR's.  As of right now we only have maybe 3 WR's that should be starters on the team (Lee, Westbrook, Moncrief)  DJ Chark might be another one but he is still pretty raw.  The other WR's (Cole and Greene) are pretty much useless to the offense and really not that great in special teams.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-30-2018, 08:23 PM)Inziladun Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 08:15 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: His college career was riddled with injuries.  Jerry Jones was the only idiot to give up a first in a trade for a WR, and Dallas doesn't need a RB.  I think any team would be suspicious if Jax is trying to dump him this quickly.  You may be able to dupe some idiot into overpaying, but I don't see it.
Todd Gurley goes down with season ending injury last week, Rams undefeated get told that Jags will give Fournette for a 1st rounder. I can see it. It's a moot point because Jags aren't trading Fournette. I just think it's hilarious ya hating on Fournette like hes bad or something just because he pulled his hammy. Kid just needs to stretch more.

Frail Fournette trips on the way there and tears an acl.  Fails medical
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

If we do go QB, I'm not to keen to go down the rookie path. It's such a lottery and I don't know if we have the year or 2 to let him learn and grow. I know people will say look at Mahomes and Wentz, they are in great offenses that play to their strengths, there's plenty of others that didn't turn out like people thought.

I'd rather go for a vet, now looking at the upcoming FA's, it's not pretty. Tyrod, Bridgewater and McCown( who has done a really nice job at the Jets). Now I look around the league, I would happily give up a first or two for someone like Rivers, Russell Wilson. Depending how Dallas season goes, Prescott may be gettable for the right price, he's got a lot of upside. 

I thought Alex Smith was perfect for us but we missed that boat.

(10-30-2018, 09:12 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 08:23 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Todd Gurley goes down with season ending injury last week, Rams undefeated get told that Jags will give Fournette for a 1st rounder. I can see it. It's a moot point because Jags aren't trading Fournette. I just think it's hilarious ya hating on Fournette like hes bad or something just because he pulled his hammy. Kid just needs to stretch more.

Frail Fournette trips on the way there and tears an acl.  Fails medical

I can see you're rounding into form.

really need to get maximum value for LF like Cleveland did with Fournette before its too late

We’re not trading Fournette. That’s just stupid. And half of the league would give up a first for him. Maybe not half but atleast 5-7 teams would do it.

It's likely gonna wind up being additional ammo to trade up for a QB.

(10-30-2018, 10:44 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: If we do go QB, I'm not to keen to go down the rookie path. It's such a lottery and I don't know if we have the year or 2 to let him learn and grow. I know people will say look at Mahomes and Wentz, they are in great offenses that play to their strengths, there's plenty of others that didn't turn out like people thought.

I'd rather go for a vet, now looking at the upcoming FA's, it's not pretty. Tyrod, Bridgewater and McCown( who has done a really nice job at the Jets). Now I look around the league, I would happily give up a first or two for someone like Rivers, Russell Wilson. Depending how Dallas season goes, Prescott may be gettable for the right price, he's got a lot of upside. 

I thought Alex Smith was perfect for us but we missed that boat.

I'm sorry, did you just say you'd give up two first-round picks for Phillip Rivers?

(10-31-2018, 12:11 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It's likely gonna wind up being additional ammo to trade up for a QB.

That'd be my best guess right now as well.

(10-31-2018, 12:11 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It's likely gonna wind up being additional ammo to trade up for a QB.

(10-31-2018, 12:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

That'd be my best guess right now as well.

I never said the 3rd would be all it would take to move up into, say, the top 5 from outside the top 5.

For the purposes of the question, the extra 3rd would be part of a larger overall package,.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Does anyone else find it ironic that in the entire NFL there are only 32 GM's making these decisions, while we have at least that number of far more qualified personnel geniuses right here on this board?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM by Cleatwood.)

(10-30-2018, 08:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 08:00 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Lol to the people that said noone would give a 3rd for fournette...  we could probably get a 1st tbh...

LOL.  Just stop.

IF he comes back after the bye and makes a difference for this team then MAYBE someone might be stupid enough to give up a draft pick for a running back, though it certainly wouldn't be a 1st round pick.  Heck if Le'Veon Bell would have signed his tender prior to the trade deadline no team would give up a 1st round pick for him.

It just aint happening.

As far as the topic of this thread, I would hold on to the draft pick and see how this next year's draft plays out.  Contrary to most people on the board, I don't see QB as THE major issue to address with this team and wouldn't trade away draft picks to reach for a "candidate" that would be unknown.  I would be more about going for big, physical lineman (both offense and defense).  With the trade of Fowler I would also target a pass rusher (never can have too many of those).  I would also perhaps go after a TE.

With late round picks or even the un-drafted class I would look for WR's.  As of right now we only have maybe 3 WR's that should be starters on the team (Lee, Westbrook, Moncrief)  DJ Chark might be another one but he is still pretty raw.  The other WR's (Cole and Greene) are pretty much useless to the offense and really not that great in special teams.
This mentality is the reason the Jags don't have Mahomes right now.

QB is the main issue for the team and it's not really close. The excuses for Blake are astounding. Every single thing around him has to go perfectly for him to be competent. Elite Oline, WRs and a running game for him to succeed. This team needs a true franchise QB and the best way to get that is through the draft.

(10-31-2018, 06:34 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Does anyone else find it ironic that in the entire NFL there are only 32 GM's making these decisions, while we have at least that number of far more qualified personnel geniuses right here on this board?
Do you think you could have done better than Gene Smith?

(10-31-2018, 05:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

(10-31-2018, 12:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That'd be my best guess right now as well.

I never said the 3rd would be all it would take to move up into, say, the top 5 from outside the top 5.

For the purposes of the question, the extra 3rd would be part of a larger overall package,.

All depends on where they are picking and how far they move up, but I’d imagine it would take more than a late third.  It’s Likely  a significant part of the equation though, unless they are trying to pick top 5.

Just take BAP or trade back. Take Shea Patterson.

(10-31-2018, 09:33 AM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Just take BAP or trade back. Take Shea Patterson.

Caldwell is allergic to trading down

(10-31-2018, 08:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: This mentality is the reason the Jags don't have Mahomes right now.

QB is the main issue for the team and it's not really close. The excuses for Blake are astounding. Every single thing around him has to go perfectly for him to be competent. Elite Oline, WRs and a running game for him to succeed. This team needs a true franchise QB and the best way to get that is through the draft.

It's not that anyone is satisfied with the kind of QB we have in Blake.  We know what he is.  And we also know that when he is playing well we can win with him based on how the team is constructed. If you're going to replace him, you have to be able to upgrade from him.  And, all snark aside, no one you could get during the season would definitely be an upgrade.  IMO, the best we can do in the off season is bring in veteran competition that can hopefully win the job.  A top 15 QB isn't walking through the front door.  Even if a franchise QB is available in the draft, and I have no confidence there is, he still doesn't help you next year.

Sure we missed on Mahomes.  So did 25 other teams that could have used an upgrade at QB.  It does no good, solves nothing, doesn't change future team performance to keep looking back at mistakes, real or perceived.  The FO and the coaches have to design a team and a scheme that can win with the personnel we actually have, not the personnel we dream about having.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(10-31-2018, 09:38 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 08:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: This mentality is the reason the Jags don't have Mahomes right now.

It's not that anyone is satisfied with the kind of QB we have in Blake.  We know what he is.  And we also know that when he is playing well we can win with him based on how the team is constructed. If you're going to replace him, you have to be able to upgrade from him.  And, all snark aside, no one you could get during the season would definitely be an upgrade.  IMO, the best we can do in the off season is bring in veteran competition that can hopefully win the job.  A top 15 QB isn't walking through the front door.  Even if a franchise QB is available in the draft, and I have no confidence there is, he still doesn't help you next year.
Is Baker Mayfield not an upgrade to Ty Taylor for the Browns?

I don’t think it’s an impossible stretch to imagine a 1st round rookie being able to unseat Blake miidseason in 2019.  In fact it’s easy to see in retrospect how that could have happened in prior seasons as well.

I do see them bundling picks to move up to get their guy in the draft next year. This additional 3rd rounder will help sweeten the pot for any move up. But, I also think the team is going to pursue a veteran QB to serve as the placeholder. As thingss tand right now, I don't see any of the current QBs on the roster when we start next season.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]