Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Grier

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018, 06:32 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-08-2018, 10:54 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Don't remind me that we passed on Rudolph. I'm still ticked off.

I was big on Rudolph pre draft.
What little bit I saw of him in Steelers action left me unimpressed though.

Perhaps he still develops into a good prospect. But I thought he'd look better out the gate honestly.

What his preseason as a rookie?  I thought he made some damn good throws and got better each game too

https://youtu.be/-7K14rn360Y

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-08-2018, 06:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 10:54 AM)Kane Wrote: I was big on Rudolph pre draft.

Perhaps he still develops into a good prospect. But I thought he'd look better out the gate honestly.

What his preseason as a rookie?  I thought he made some damn good throws and got better each game too

He did get better... I'm just saying I was actually higher on him than most in that I thought he could come in and compete to start right away.
I still think he can be good but I didn't see a guy ready to start yet. Whereas around the draft I was thinking we could take him with our first rounder to compete with Bortles. Although... still might have helped more than Taven.

(11-08-2018, 11:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 10:54 AM)Kane Wrote: I was big on Rudolph pre draft.

He's a rookie. None of the hyped QB's from last years class have looked good to this point, but what rookie does?

IDK... I think Baker has looked pretty good for the most part.
The other three have been close to trash but as you said... rookies and also... AZ and Buff are lacking a lot of talent in spots. Darnold I was never big on honestly, and he's still throwin picks like he's back at USC. But Goff went from trash to superstar so maybe its coaching.

Rudolph actually got the better situation of all of them imo. No pressure, Big Ben there to keep him on the bench. He could start in a couple seasons when Ben finally retires and squeelers might not miss a beat.

Don't listen to any of the talking heads this year...Grier is QB1

(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 06:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What his preseason as a rookie?  I thought he made some damn good throws and got better each game too

He did get better... I'm just saying I was actually higher on him than most in that I thought he could come in and compete to start right away.
I still think he can be good but I didn't see a guy ready to start yet. Whereas around the draft I was thinking we could take him with our first rounder to compete with Bortles. Although... still might have helped more than Taven.

There is no doubt in my mind he would of been an upgrade over Bortles this year.  We could of still drafted Bryan and taken Rudolph in the 2nd if we wanted

(11-09-2018, 05:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote: He did get better... I'm just saying I was actually higher on him than most in that I thought he could come in and compete to start right away.

There is no doubt in my mind he would of been an upgrade over Bortles this year.  We could of still drafted Bryan and taken Rudolph in the 2nd if we wanted

He couldn't beat out Joshua Dobbs and was outperfomed by him all camp so I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kessler is better than Dobbs

(11-09-2018, 05:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind he would of been an upgrade over Bortles this year.  We could of still drafted Bryan and taken Rudolph in the 2nd if we wanted

He couldn't beat out Joshua Dobbs and was outperfomed by him all camp so I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kessler is better than Dobbs

Did you watch Dobbs in the preseason? He lit it up

(11-09-2018, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: He couldn't beat out Joshua Dobbs and was outperfomed by him all camp so I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kessler is better than Dobbs

Did you watch Dobbs in the preseason? He lit it up

He sure did. He's a backup caliber QB who Rudolph was thoroughly outplayed by all summer.  I don't think throwing Rudolph in this mess would have done anything

(11-09-2018, 05:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch Dobbs in the preseason? He lit it up

He sure did. He's a backup caliber QB who Rudolph was thoroughly outplayed by all summer.  I don't think throwing Rudolph in this mess would have done anything

You have no clue what Dobbs would do as a starter.  He looked like more than just a back up caliber QB in the preseason, the Steelers have 3 good QBs.

If we did draft Rudolph I would of sat him the first half of the season anyway.  This week after this bye would of been the perfect time to pur Rudolph in as a starter and give him a shot.  Hell, Kessler should start this week imo.  

Everyone except Dave Caldwell and Doug Marrone know what Bortles is at QB

(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 06:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What his preseason as a rookie?  I thought he made some damn good throws and got better each game too

In Pittsburgh? I might have been the biggest Mason Rudolph fan on this site, but even I knew when Pittsburgh selected him and Roethlisberger said he wasn't retiring anytime soon that Rudolph would not be starting for a long while. Roethlisberger is one of the best QB's in the NFL. There was no way a rookie was going to unseat him. I think Rudolph is in a Jimmy G. situation. He will be sitting for a long while, before he either takes over for Roethlisberger or Pittsburgh waits too long and is forced to trade him to another team.

(11-09-2018, 06:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote: He did get better... I'm just saying I was actually higher on him than most in that I thought he could come in and compete to start right away.

In Pittsburgh? I might have been the biggest Mason Rudolph fan on this site, but even I knew when Pittsburgh selected him and Roethlisberger said he wasn't retiring anytime soon that Rudolph would not be starting for a long while. Roethlisberger is one of the best QB's in the NFL. There was no way a rookie was going to unseat him. I think Rudolph is in a Jimmy G. situation. He will be sitting for a long while, before he either takes over for Roethlisberger or Pittsburgh waits too long and is forced to trade him to another team.

I dont know, I was on record saying I felt Rudolph would be the best QB in this class.  But yes, he is in a perfect situation in Pit to sit behind a HOFer.  Pit. Knows how to do it, they got a QB steal in the 3rd, the year before took a QB in the 4th.  Even with a HOF they are taking QBs in the mid rounds

(11-09-2018, 05:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind he would of been an upgrade over Bortles this year.  We could of still drafted Bryan and taken Rudolph in the 2nd if we wanted

If you look at the preseason stats, there isn't much difference and Rudolph got better each week. Week 4 was his best of the preseason. The Steelers just felt more comfortable having Dobbs as the backup this season, since he has been in the system for several years and knows the terminology. As long as Ben is healthy, they have no need to rush Rudolph. He is the future. If Ben were to get hurt and miss any significant time, I'd bet Rudolph would be named the starter, but now, he can be eased in slowly and really take in what he is learning.

(11-09-2018, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: He sure did. He's a backup caliber QB who Rudolph was thoroughly outplayed by all summer.  I don't think throwing Rudolph in this mess would have done anything

You have no clue what Dobbs would do as a starter.  He looked like more than just a back up caliber QB in the preseason, the Steelers have 3 good QBs.

If we did draft Rudolph I would of sat him the first half of the season anyway.  This week after this bye would of been the perfect time to pur Rudolph in as a starter and give him a shot.  Hell, Kessler should start this week imo.  

You always make statements like that without considering the reverse. There is no evidence Dobbs is starter material, based on everything we have seen of him I'd confident in saying he's not starter material. The list of bad QBs to play well in preseason is incredibly long and depressing. 

I wouldn't have hated that idea, at least then you would have Rudolph or Lamar ready to rock and have a QB plan for the following year.  

Feel like they are backed into a corner next year and any QB move they make will be one made out of desperation.

(11-09-2018, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: He couldn't beat out Joshua Dobbs and was outperfomed by him all camp so I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kessler is better than Dobbs

If you look at the preseason stats, there isn't much difference and Rudolph got better each week. Week 4 was his best of the preseason. The Steelers just felt more comfortable having Dobbs as the backup this season, since he has been in the system for several years and knows the terminology. As long as Ben is healthy, they have no need to rush Rudolph. He is the future. If Ben were to get hurt and miss any significant time, I'd bet Rudolph would be named the starter, but now, he can be eased in slowly and really take in what he is learning.

If Big Ben got hurt right now it would be a surprise if Dobbs wasn't the starter for the reasons you mentioned above. Rudolph was getting snaps with the 3rd and 4th strings all summer and didn't really do much to prove he deserved otherwise. By the same token that's why I doubt he'd have helped us at all right off the bat year 1.    

If we drafted him and threw him in once Blake failed miserably then fine, you have some semblence of a QB plan even if you shouldn't expect good or even average performance from him.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2018, 10:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-09-2018, 10:30 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You have no clue what Dobbs would do as a starter.  He looked like more than just a back up caliber QB in the preseason, the Steelers have 3 good QBs.

You always make statements like that without considering the reverse. There is no evidence Dobbs is starter material, based on everything we have seen of him I'd confident in saying he's not starter material. The list of bad QBs to play well in preseason is incredibly long and depressing. 

I wouldn't have hated that idea, at least then you would have Rudolph or Lamar ready to rock and have a QB plan for the following year.  

Feel like they are backed into a corner next year and any QB move they make will be one made out of desperation.
It's because you always state stuff as If they are facts. And that's my point, you really have no clue.  If Drew Bledsoe never got hurt, Tom Brady would never be the guy he is and possibly would of been Drews backup for another number of years and maybe never even got a chance to start.  You never really know how good one can be unless he gets a shot.  Kessler could possibly take this team where we want to go, the gu looked decent as a rookie with the worst supporting cast in the league.  But the coaches are to stupid to give the guy a shot

(11-09-2018, 10:40 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you look at the preseason stats, there isn't much difference and Rudolph got better each week. Week 4 was his best of the preseason. The Steelers just felt more comfortable having Dobbs as the backup this season, since he has been in the system for several years and knows the terminology. As long as Ben is healthy, they have no need to rush Rudolph. He is the future. If Ben were to get hurt and miss any significant time, I'd bet Rudolph would be named the starter, but now, he can be eased in slowly and really take in what he is learning.

If Big Ben got hurt right now it would be a surprise if Dobbs wasn't the starter for the reasons you mentioned above. Rudolph was getting snaps with the 3rd and 4th strings all summer and didn't really do much to prove he deserved otherwise. By the same token that's why I doubt he'd have helped us at all right off the bat year 1.    

If we drafted him and threw him in once Blake failed miserably then fine, you have some semblence of a QB plan even if you shouldn't expect good or even average performance from him.

None of the QB's in that draft would've helped us that much, right off the bat. Rookie QB's rarely do. It's kind of overwhelming to go from a college QB and come into the NFL at the same position while you are expected to be "the guy", right away. Even great ones like Peyton Manning struggle in their rookie year. And sometimes the QB's who come in and impress right away, like RG3, end up being failures in their 2nd and 3rd years. Like you said though, had we drafted him, we'd at least have a QB plan in place, as compared to what we have right now, which is nothing.

(11-10-2018, 12:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: If Big Ben got hurt right now it would be a surprise if Dobbs wasn't the starter for the reasons you mentioned above. Rudolph was getting snaps with the 3rd and 4th strings all summer and didn't really do much to prove he deserved otherwise. By the same token that's why I doubt he'd have helped us at all right off the bat year 1.    

None of the QB's in that draft would've helped us that much, right off the bat. Rookie QB's rarely do. It's kind of overwhelming to go from a college QB and come into the NFL at the same position while you are expected to be "the guy", right away. Even great ones like Peyton Manning struggle in their rookie year. And sometimes the QB's who come in and impress right away, like RG3, end up being failures in their 2nd and 3rd years. Like you said though, had we drafted him, we'd at least have a QB plan in place, as compared to what we have right now, which is nothing.
Yeah rookie QBs do sometimes tend to struggle but its the front offices job to make the transition smooth... im a big fan of having a rookie qb wait a year or 2 and get groomed like Brady, Rodgers, Jimmy G and Mahomes but unfortunately we are in win now mode with our defense, like everyone is sayin we have a 2 maybe 3 year window with this defense... our best bet is to trade for a top 10 qb, some guys contracts are coming to an end soon maybe we can trade this offseason for like Wilson (2019), Newton(2020) and Rivers (2019) but we know theyre not goin anywhere... so its looking like we gotta draft the right guy and hope...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

(11-09-2018, 10:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: You always make statements like that without considering the reverse. There is no evidence Dobbs is starter material, based on everything we have seen of him I'd confident in saying he's not starter material. The list of bad QBs to play well in preseason is incredibly long and depressing. 

It's because you always state stuff as If they are facts. And that's my point, you really have no clue.  If Drew Bledsoe never got hurt, Tom Brady would never be the guy he is and possibly would of been Drews backup for another number of years and maybe never even got a chance to start.  You never really know how good one can be unless he gets a shot.  Kessler could possibly take this team where we want to go, the gu looked decent as a rookie with the worst supporting cast in the league.  But the coaches are to stupid to give the guy a shot

Me saying Dobbs isn't a starter quality QB is an opinion based on what I've seen of him. Just like how when you say the steelers have 3 good QBs, thats not a fact, nor would I take it as such.   

No thats why you should judge them based off everything they've done until they get a chance to show out.

(11-10-2018, 12:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: If Big Ben got hurt right now it would be a surprise if Dobbs wasn't the starter for the reasons you mentioned above. Rudolph was getting snaps with the 3rd and 4th strings all summer and didn't really do much to prove he deserved otherwise. By the same token that's why I doubt he'd have helped us at all right off the bat year 1.    

Thats exactly what my point is on Rudolph. There is zero guarantee he'd be an upgrade over Blake this year and the chances are he'd be completely overwhelmed in this awful situation. He wouldn't have changed anything results wise for us this year, only benefit would be kickstarting development (two edged sword) and getting blake outta there

Another solid game for Grier today. Actually threw 5 TD passes today, but Sills dropped 2 of them, and then the 1 INT went off of Sills hands as he tripped.

The kid is solid. I only hope that the Giants or some other team doesn't value him enough to take him first. If he keeps up this level of play, he won't make it past the first round.