Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Grier

(11-24-2018, 04:35 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: One question : looking at his rushing stats, he has 48 attemps for -90 yards.... -1.9 yards/rush.

Is it because of the Oline ? Just asking.

It doesn't really matter. He's a pocket passer. He's rarely asked to run.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Also in college sacks are counted as negative rushing yards for the QB, not just the team right?

(11-24-2018, 04:35 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: One question : looking at his rushing stats, he has 48 attemps for -90 yards.... -1.9 yards/rush.

It's from sacks, he doesnt really run the ball but he can if need be

Ok, thanks guys.

He's a quarterback not a running back.

It's a good thing.

(11-26-2018, 10:52 AM)Kane Wrote:

He's a quarterback not a running back.

It's a good thing.

But he's been watching Bortles for 5 years now so you can forgive the confusion.

(11-23-2018, 11:26 PM)JackCity Wrote: Getting it done in a big game like this is great for his resume. He has limitations for sure but his overall game will translate.

Should be noted that Oklahoma's defense is abysmal

What is Grier's limitations?

Doesn't have ideal height or arm strength. Probably not as mobile as you would want a QB to be although he seems to do fine moving in the pocket. Looks like he falls back on throws which doesnt help with arm strength.

I think he is a good player though and worth a shot. Drafting a QB really is a crapshoot and this guy has enough ability that he could be the QB of the future. You just never know.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 01:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-26-2018, 01:48 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Doesn't have ideal height or arm strength.  Probably not as mobile as you would want a QB to be although he seems to do fine moving in the pocket.  Looks like he falls back on throws which doesnt help with arm strength.

I think he is a good player though and worth a shot.  Drafting a QB really is a crapshoot and this guy has enough ability that he could be the QB of the future.  You just never know.

Disagree with the arm strength.  Just this weekend he was throwing the ball 35/40 yards on a rope and is more accurate than not when taking shots downfield which he does often, have never seen arm strength be an issue for him.  He is the same height as Joe Montana and Aaron Rodgers.  He isn't as tall as Bortles or Gabbert but I dont think height will be an issue.  I have seen him make plays with his legs he just doesnt use them much

Sometimes he tries to do a little to much when nobody is open and nothing is there, he should just take the sack or throw it away

(11-26-2018, 02:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Sometimes he tries to do a little to much when nobody is open and nothing is there, he should just take the sack or throw it away

This is my biggest knock on him... Which really can be coached. His turnovers are almost always related to trying to do too much when nothing is there.
Just throw it away.

His arm strength isn't Josh Allen elite... I guess... but accuracy is much more important these days. And he's that for sure.

The knock about the Big12 defenses... well yeah, none of them really play D... but against 5 SEC defenses (4 his partial year at UF, 1 this year at WVA) he had very good games and went 5-0.

I thought Baker was the best QB last year (it sure does look right atm)
I think Grier is the best this year.

But I wouldn't be mad with Haskins or Lock really.

Worst case scenario we should at least take the best QB available in round 2 or 3 if we go OL TE before.
But yeesh.... next year will be rough

(11-26-2018, 03:20 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.u...-2019/amp/

Yes yes!

I'd be pretty darn happy with that 1-2 combo
Grier fills the need at QB. Risner is versatile and fills either the RG spot Cann will surely be losing or the RT spot Parnell will surely be losing.
Can play C in a pinch too, seeing as Linder isn't always healthy.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 04:11 PM by JackCity.)

(11-26-2018, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 11:26 PM)JackCity Wrote: Getting it done in a big game like this is great for his resume. He has limitations for sure but his overall game will translate.

Should be noted that Oklahoma's defense is abysmal

What is Grier's limitations?

His arm is around average at best velocity wise. He makes the most of it with a quick release and set up but floats a lot , especially to the sideline. Similar to Rudolph actually in that his deep ball has great placement and he's generally accurate but his actual arm is meh.  He can play in the NFL with it and do well but it's something you have to scheme around.    

He loves throwing off his back foot reagrdless of the situation and although some of these plays end up spectacular, it's not conducive to success in the NFL. A lot of his picks in college are a product of that. Way more fixable than the arm issue but it's a bad habit for sure.

He's pretty maxed out traits wise. The Grier we have now isn't likely to change too much. That's a good thing because he's already relatively advanced with the small details and provides a good floor but also bad because his growth will mostly be based on the scheme and talent he gets to play in. Compared to someone like Haskins who is a bit more raw but has oodles more traits to grow into.

And that's all to say I'm still a big Grier fan, probably watched around 25 of his games for a deep dive I wanna write on him but the limitations are there too.

I can dig the Grier/Rudolph comp.

(11-26-2018, 05:11 PM)Upper Wrote: I can dig the Grier/Rudolph comp.

Hard to ignore the similarities, even if I prefer Grier to what Rudolph offered.

(11-26-2018, 03:20 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.u...-2019/amp/

Yes yes!

I'd be happy with those two, although it would be hard to pass on Fant in the 2nd round.

Yes yes!

Would be a dream draft

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 08:04 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-26-2018, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What is Grier's limitations?

His arm is around average at best velocity wise. He makes the most of it with a quick release and set up but floats a lot , especially to the sideline. Similar to Rudolph actually in that his deep ball has great placement and he's generally accurate but his actual arm is meh.  He can play in the NFL with it and do well but it's something you have to scheme around.    

He loves throwing off his back foot reagrdless of the situation and although some of these plays end up spectacular, it's not conducive to success in the NFL. A lot of his picks in college are a product of that. Way more fixable than the arm issue but it's a bad habit for sure.

He's pretty maxed out traits wise. The Grier we have now isn't likely to change too much. That's a good thing because he's already relatively advanced with the small details and provides a good floor but also bad because his growth will mostly be based on the scheme and talent he gets to play in. Compared to someone like Haskins who is a bit more raw but has oodles more traits to grow into.

And that's all to say I'm still a big Grier fan, probably watched around 25 of his games for a deep dive I wanna write on him but the limitations are there too.
The myth about Grier having a weak arm is kinda funny.   Here is a play from this weekend where he throws it 43 yards on a line when pressured and getting drilled as soon as he releases the ball.   He makes those throws on the regular and usually hits them in stride.  He can have enough zip on the ball in short passes as well when needed.  To say what ever team drafts him will have to scheme around his weak arm strenth is laughable.  Sounds like you have been on to much twitter.  

At 3:00

https://youtu.be/b0wFsJQyrzc?t=190

Just watched every pass again from his last game and seen him throw off his back foot twice.  One he was back peddling to elude the defenders and the other there was a defender in his face and he got drilled as he threw and it was a strike for a TD.  Will you post some of these throws off the back foot when he isnt pressured?  So his limitations are the myth of a weak arm, he throws off his back foot, and he is maxed out as a player?  Come on man I thought you would come with some facts and something better than that

(11-26-2018, 08:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: His arm is around average at best velocity wise. He makes the most of it with a quick release and set up but floats a lot , especially to the sideline. Similar to Rudolph actually in that his deep ball has great placement and he's generally accurate but his actual arm is meh.  He can play in the NFL with it and do well but it's something you have to scheme around.    

The myth about Grier having a weak arm is kinda funny.   Here is a play from this weekend where he throws it 43 yards on a line when pressured and getting drilled as soon as he releases the ball.   He makes those throws on the regular and usually hits them in stride.  He can have enough zip on the ball in short passes as well when needed.  To say what ever team drafts him will have to scheme around his weak arm strenth is laughable.  Sounds like you have been on to much twitter.  

At 3:00

https://youtu.be/b0wFsJQyrzc?t=190

Just watched every pass again from his last game and seen him throw off his back foot twice.  One he was back peddling to elude the defenders and the other there was a defender in his face and he got drilled as he threw and it was a strike for a TD.  Will you post some of these throws off the back foot when he isnt pressured?  So his limitations are the myth of a weak arm, he throws off his back foot, and he is maxed out as a player?  Come on man I thought you would come with some facts and something better than that

A predictable response from you. Just to preface this I find it hilarious that you are being so defensive about a player I've already posted multiple times about loving. Being critical about players strengths and weaknesses is important, unfortunately you tend to just set up camp on a player and refuse to acknowledge the limitations to their play (that's how you end up thinking Tebow and Manziel would be good QBs) 

I don't think he has a weak arm, he has an average arm, which is why I said he has an average arm. Having an average arm means there are limitations as to where you can put the ball and the windows you can hit. So you adjust the offense around that. 
That throw you linked is a nice throw but not some supreme showing of velocity of either, nice tight spiral sure. He floats too many passes in situations where he shouldn't, i.e too often when he's throwing quick outs or to the perimeter the ball doesn't get there quick enough , his deep balls are generally tear drops (which have their own benefit/risk) and he doesn't show enough velocity on tight window throws.  His accuracy and placement are very good , his arm strength can be lacking. 

Again, as said above, he can play in the NFL with it and do well, but there are limitations to it. That's not to say he doesn't have some incredible throws or anything, it's just the reality of him as player. Andy Daltons arm is around average but he's capable of incredible throws too, he just doesn't show that velocity that often.  

Yeah he throws off his back foot too often, in both pressured and non pressured situations. A lot of his picks come from that where he'll throw off his back foot instead of just taking the sack, or he'll just be sloppy and lean back regardless. Definitely fixable but it's a limitation to his play atm.  

I'm going to be doing a full write up of Grier in the next two weeks so I'll show all my work on him and detail my points with evidence. 

Why don't you do one as well and we can compare and contrast?