Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Herbert. Lock. Finley. The Jags must choose one next year.

There are too many good young QBs in this league--including two in our division with Watson and Luck. The longer we hold on to Bortles, the further we fall behind. We have to draft one of the better prospects next year, in the first round. Trade up if we have to. 

We are not built to score a lot of points on offense. We rely on the defense to do it--and when they don't, we're in trouble. I'm putting a lot of this on Bortles. It's not just the fumbles and the INTs. It's poor accuracy. It's an inability to find open receivers.  In fairness to him, he had a great game against the Pats. But not the Titans, Texans. Not the Eagles or Chiefs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd honestly be happy with Grier, Finley, or Lock

Ooh...I forgot about Grier. He had a great game yesterday. And I liked him when he was at UF.

I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Lock- another Gabbert, pass
Herbert - overrated, pass
Finley - looked like poo poo against Clemson, pass
Grier - weak arm, small frame, pass

(11-04-2018, 07:37 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Lock- another Gabbert, pass

Your takes get worse in worse.  Yeah just stick with Bortles

Just barely starting to check out all these QBs.

So far, I'm not impressed by Lock.
I have Finley and Herbert as 1 and 1A and Grier somewhere behind them.

Still LOTS to figure out. Just my early impressions.

(11-04-2018, 07:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:37 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Lock- another Gabbert, pass

Your takes get worse in worse.  Yeah just stick with Bortles

Taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB to please the fans is just dumb . I don't like Bortles. For a 1sr round pick I want a real nfl QB with a classic 3/4 compact NFL throwing motion, excellent velocity, enough mobilty to escape the pass rush, smart to read defenses and not be a one read qb, take snap under center, sturdy frame to take a beating, tall to see over oline, a leader on and off the field.

(11-04-2018, 07:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your takes get worse in worse.  Yeah just stick with Bortles

Taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB to please the fans is just dumb . I don't like Bortles. For a 1sr round pick I want a real nfl QB with a classic 3/4 compact NFL throwing motion, excellent velocity, enough mobilty to escape the pass rush, smart to read defenses and not be a one read qb, take snap under center, sturdy frame to take a beating, tall to see over oline, a leader on and off the field.
So, who do you like?
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-04-2018, 07:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just barely starting to check out all these QBs.

What do you not like about Lock?  Big arm, good size, accurate, and has looked good pretty much his whole college career.  Has put up some good numbers as well against good teams.  Looked good yesterday

(11-04-2018, 07:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your takes get worse in worse.  Yeah just stick with Bortles

So you want to trade for a NFL Pro Bowl QB, gotcha

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 08:35 PM by ColoJag.)

(11-04-2018, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just barely starting to check out all these QBs.

What do you not like about Lock?  Big arm, good size, accurate, and has looked good pretty much his whole college career.  Has put up some good numbers as well against lock

I'm not NYC but from what I have seen he lacks pocket presence and also this is his first year with a completion percentage over 60. He also does not like to step into his throws so he doesn't drive the ball leaving his passes to the edges to hang in the air or come up short

(11-04-2018, 08:15 PM)ColoJag Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do you not like about Lock?  Big arm, good size, accurate, and has looked good pretty much his whole college career.  Has put up some good numbers as well against lock

I'm not NYC but from what I have seen he lacks pocket presence and also this is his first year with a completion percentage over 60.

I didnt look at he stats but he always looked pretty accuate to me when i have seen him play.  I have also seen him take some pretty big shots and make the throw.  Which of these QBs do you think has the good pocket presence that we like to see?

Taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB to please the fans is just dumb .
If they take a QB, it's not to please fans, it's to win football games.

(11-04-2018, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

What do you not like about Lock?  Big arm, good size, accurate, and has looked good pretty much his whole college career.  Has put up some good numbers as well against good teams.  Looked good yesterday
Like I said - I haven't watched much of any of them, but I'm not crazy about his low release point, and the geometry of his throwing motion looks wonky to me compared to the more compact motion of the others i mention ahead of him.  He looks like just a bit more of a project due to these things and the offense he's coming from (as far as I can tell right now. I haven't really dug in to it at all.)

Finley is very underwhelming once you dig into his game. Lock is a big project QB and Herbert is gonna be gone when we pick.

Taking the wrong QB in the first can be worse than not taking one at all.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 08:37 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-04-2018, 08:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB to please the fans is just dumb .
If they take a QB, it's not to please fans, it's to win football games.

(11-04-2018, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do you not like about Lock?  Big arm, good size, accurate, and has looked good pretty much his whole college career.  Has put up some good numbers as well against good teams.  Looked good yesterday
Like I said - I haven't watched much of any of them, but I'm not crazy about his low release point, and the geometry of his throwing motion looks wonky to me compared to the more compact motion of the others a mention ahead of him.  He looks like just a bit more of a project due to these things and the offense he's coming from (as far as I can tell right now. I haven't really dug in to it at all.)
I havent really dug into it or watched many cut ups either.  Most of my opinions right now are just watching the guys in live games. I have always thought Lock has looked pretty good though.  I liked him last year too if he were to come out

(11-04-2018, 08:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Finley is very underwhelming once you dig into his game. Lock is a big project QB and Herbert is gonna be gone when we pick.  

So you dont think Herbert is a project?  I think all the QBs this year need to set a year, or at least half a year

(11-04-2018, 08:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 08:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If they take a QB, it's not to please fans, it's to win football games.

Like I said - I haven't watched much of any of them, but I'm not crazy about his low release point, and the geometry of his throwing motion looks wonky to me compared to the more compact motion of the others a mention ahead of him.  He looks like just a bit more of a project due to these things and the offense he's coming from (as far as I can tell right now. I haven't really dug in to it at all.)
I havent really dug into it or watched many cut ups either.  Most of my opinions right now are just watching the guys in live games. I have always thought Lock has looked pretty good though.  I liked him last year too if he were to come out

(11-04-2018, 08:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Finley is very underwhelming once you dig into his game. Lock is a big project QB and Herbert is gonna be gone when we pick.  

So you dont think Herbert is a project?  I think all the QBs this year need to set a year, or at least half a year
Nah I wouldn't classify him as a project. I'd agree that you don't wanna be in a situation where any of these guys have to start week 1 though.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 09:27 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-04-2018, 07:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

I agree. I'm not a fan of Grier and Finley lacks the velocity and accuracy to be a good starting NFL QB IMO. Lock, I am on the fence about right now and Herbert will be gone by the time we pick. I can't see the Giants letting Herbert get passed them. I'd rather wait until 2020 to draft a QB and find a short term solution for 2019, if we can't get a QB we're 100% confident in. Taking the wrong QB in the first round is way more detrimental than not taking one and waiting until the middle rounds. Right now, I'd say if Herbert is not a possibility for us and Haskins stays in school, I'd wait until round 3 and take Rypien, while signing Fitzpatrick in the offseason. He'll be an UFA. We could see if we could develop Rypien while having at least an upgrade to Bortles in Fitzpatrick, for the short term.

Yall are going to tear this to shreds but for comparisons
Herbert= a slower Mariota
Grier=Mayfield
Jones=Tannehill
Rypien=Keenum
Finley=younger Big Ben
Not saying that these guys are going to become like the others just to me they play like them and have similar skill sets.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 10:01 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-04-2018, 09:30 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Yall are going to tear this to shreds but for comparisons
Grier=Mayfield
Jones=Tannehill
Rypien=Keenum
Finley=younger Big Ben
Not saying that these guys are going to become like the others just to me they play like them and have similar skill sets.

Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

(11-04-2018, 09:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 09:30 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Yall are going to tear this to shreds but for comparisons
Grier=Mayfield
Jones=Tannehill
Rypien=Keenum
Finley=younger Big Ben

Just wondering how you came up with the Finley, Roethlisberger comparison? Ben has a much stronger arm and is much more accurate. I would compare Finley more to Mitchell Trubisky.

Herbert= DeShaun Watson
Finley= Trubisky
Lock= Flacco
Jones= Tannenhill
Rypien= Keenum
Grier= Mariota

I was struggling for the Finley one and I was going through QBs in my mind and none of them would fit. Trubisky is a much better comparison! Idk about the Grier/Marriota one though