Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars defense: All talk, no walk

(11-12-2018, 11:10 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 08:59 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Telvin Smith got paid. He has been hot garbage all year. You got to wonder if getting paid has anything to do with it.

Yeah except... he got paid prior to last season.
And balled out last season.

I'm not arguing that he has been hot garbage.
Just saying... I don't think getting paid has anything to do with it a la an Albert Haynesworth in a contract year

You really are a troll killer.

Kudos to you sir.

Thoughtless drones on the board and in the fan base.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Weren't they the #1 pass defense up until this past weekend? The sacks for sure aren't there but before this week, they lead the league in QB pressure percentage at 36.6% of dropbacks.

They had a god awful first half against the Colts and then shut them out. They forced 2 turnovers against KC and held the best offense in football to 23 points.... on the road. Oh and the Texans game? Watson had 124 yards passing. How's that bad? They allowed 20 points but 10 of those are because Blake turned it over inside the 15 yard line. Chip shot FG and TD to Hopkins.

So instead of just saying "They played garbage all year" how about some of you actually take a deeper look.

They're not as good as last year but did you really expect them to score 7 TDs on D? Or have a couple 10 sack games? I agree they have some issues and it's mainly mental errors but to say they've been bad all season is just not true.

(11-12-2018, 11:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Weren't they the #1 pass defense up until this past weekend? The sacks for sure aren't there but before this week, they lead the league in QB pressure percentage at 36.6% of dropbacks.

They had a god awful first half against the Colts and then shut them out. They forced 2 turnovers against KC and held the best offense in football to 23 points.... on the road. Oh and the Texans game? Watson had 124 yards passing. How's that bad? They allowed 20 points but 10 of those are because Blake turned it over inside the 15 yard line. Chip shot FG and TD to Hopkins.

So instead of just saying "They played garbage all year" how about some of you actually take a deeper look.

They're not as good as last year but did you really expect them to score 7 TDs on D? Or have a couple 10 sack games? I agree they have some issues and it's mainly mental errors but to say they've been bad all season is just not true.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative!  

I guess when a unit plays worse than the previous year it sticks in peoples heads as being a big issue. When in reality offense is up across the league and the Jags are still one of the top units.

(11-12-2018, 11:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Weren't they the #1 pass defense up until this past weekend? The sacks for sure aren't there but before this week, they lead the league in QB pressure percentage at 36.6% of dropbacks.

Mmmmm-Hmmmm

[Image: EvergreenPerfectFinwhale-small.gif]

They haven’t been bad all season. They’ve had two bad games; Dallas and yesterday. And in their defense (npi) they held the colts to 0 points in the second half

Some info on a couple of the coverage breakdowns of yesterrday:

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...3669201920

(11-12-2018, 05:14 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Some info on a couple of the coverage breakdowns of yesterrday:

Marrone is responsible for letting one guy play poorly week after week with no repercussions. Marrone is responsible for not calling out Blake for bad turnovers. He's literally doubling down on Blake. He's lost the defense, clearly and now he's choosing sides. Get this weak willed coach out of here.

Sorry guys Doug’s chair is not even Warm. He will get a chance to draft his own QB.

I have zero doubts that our Pass Defense ranking was that good, because teams have been running the ball at will on us lately. They get up a score, or two and start pounding the ball on us. Why pass it when we can't stop the run? That skews the pass defense ranking and makes it look better than it really is.

I'm sorry, but no true #1 Pass Defense lets guys run WIDE open week, after week, after week. And not just once per a game, but handfuls of times per game.

(11-12-2018, 06:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

I have zero doubts that our Pass Defense ranking was that good, because teams have been running the ball at will on us lately. They get up a score, or two and start pounding the ball on us. Why pass it when we can't stop the run? That skews the pass defense ranking and makes it look better than it really is.

I'm sorry, but no true #1 Pass Defense lets guys run WIDE open week, after week, after week. And not just once per a game, but handfuls of times per game.

We are 12th in yards per carry against. 17th in rushing yards allowed. 7th in first downs allowed via rushing (1st in 1st downs allowed per game).  

Have there been too many blown coverages? Yep. Coaching isn't good enough and the defense isn't playing as one unit. Its still an elite unit despite all that  and has played very well the vast majority of the season.    

But 90% of teams around the league would still to have this defense, which makes the angst misplaced.

(11-12-2018, 06:35 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 05:14 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Some info on a couple of the coverage breakdowns of yesterrday:

Marrone is responsible for letting one guy play poorly week after week with no repercussions. Marrone is responsible for not calling out Blake for bad turnovers. He's literally doubling down on Blake. He's lost the defense, clearly and now he's choosing sides. Get this weak willed coach out of here.

Blake has 8 INTs this hear.  He has had 1 game this year in which he threw multiple INTs.  That was the KC game.  He's had 4 games in which he didn't throw one at all.  An average of 1 INT per game, at least half of which can be reasonably blamed on poor receiver play, cannot account for all our losses.  He probably was the biggest reason in the KC game. 

He has lost 3 fumbles this year. Two of those were in the Houston game.  One was clearly his fault for not protecting the football while trying to eek out a few more yards on a run.  The other was not.  It was punched out from behind because of putrid line play due to playing scrubs because of injuries.

None of that means that he's a franchise qb or that we shouldn't seek an upgrade in the off-season.  He's got the mental and physical toughness you want in addition to character and coachability.  But he clearly is not the only or main reason the team is losing.  The main reason is an injury riddled offense.  Another significant reason is that the defense has become dysfunctional as the season has progressed.  Yesterday's game is a case in point.  I lay that at the feet of the defensive coaching staff.

Nothing is wrong with Marrone.  He's a good coach.  And for all we know, Hackett may be one, too.  But we won't know that until the offense is healthy and we have a qb that can run the entire playbook.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-12-2018, 06:35 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote:

So because he doesn't address it in the media, he isn't addressing it?

Or are you on the staff and you know he isn't addressing it?
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

The jaguars are 7th in least amount of explosive plays given up.

(11-13-2018, 07:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: The jaguars are 7th in least amount of explosive plays given up.
So they were most likely top 5 before Sunday?

What a trash defense!

The only defense rankings that matter are ppg and turnovers. We weren't even close to #1 in either of those category's last week or this week.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-13-2018, 08:06 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: The only defense rankings that matter are ppg and turnovers. We weren't even close to #1 in either of those category's last week or this week.
Turnovers I’ll give you. They’ve been lacking in that and I have no idea why. Maybe because the Jags haven’t played with a lead in forever.

But how many points has the defense “given up” when the offense turns it over in FG range? I’m sure that plays a part in it. 

They’re definitely not playing like last year but who thought they would? Replicating that is almost impossible.

(11-13-2018, 08:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 08:06 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: The only defense rankings that matter are ppg and turnovers. We weren't even close to #1 in either of those category's last week or this week.
Turnovers I’ll give you. They’ve been lacking in that and I have no idea why. Maybe because the Jags haven’t played with a lead in forever.

But how many points has the defense “given up” when the offense turns it over in FG range? I’m sure that plays a part in it. 

They’re definitely not playing like last year but who thought they would? Replicating that is almost impossible.

They haven't been anywhere close to playing like last year's Defense and they haven't even been anywhere close to playing like a good Defense in over a month+. They've been getting exposed week in and week out.

The Offense hasn't been good at all, but lets be real here... Neither has the Defense for most of the season.

(11-13-2018, 07:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 07:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: The jaguars are 7th in least amount of explosive plays given up.
So they were most likely top 5 before Sunday?

What a trash defense!

Just awful!  

Having an insanely elite defense last year has warped fans minds of what an above average defense actually looks like.

(11-14-2018, 07:12 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 07:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So they were most likely top 5 before Sunday?

What a trash defense!

Just awful!  

Having an insanely elite defense last year has warped fans minds of what an above average defense actually looks like.

This is the highest paid defense in the league.  We should be better than just above average