Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles passers rating Grid

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 11:23 AM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

So, couldn't have agreed more with the commetors from the Colts game,  criticizing Bortles for not attempting intermediate throws, or in the middle of the field. Almost every pass attempt was 10 yards or less, with a ton of dump offs. Ironically, according to the grid, he has the worst passer rating when throwing passes in the flats. Yet that is what we do, whether by design, or because Bortles can't find an open receiver. Or because it is safe... our coaches like safe. 

This chart is for the 2018 season (up to week 8). Notice the passer rating for intermediate passes in the middle. 22. Pathetic. 

Also notice all the below average (red) zones for screen passes. Lots of average and below average zones. You can compare other QB's at the Next Gen Stats homepage if you want to. It's a little depressing. 

[Image: passer-rating-vs-league-avg_BOR650964_20...62126.jpeg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My heart almost stopped when he hit Moncrief for that TD yesterday. He shows flashes like that then goes back to being Blake.

(11-12-2018, 11:22 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: My heart almost stopped when he hit Moncrief for that TD yesterday. He shows flashes like that then goes back to being Blake.

LOL, I feel like they permit Blake to go deep 1 time per game. Then they reel it back in and call short passes all game. It feels as if the deep pass attempts are only made to loosen up the short pass game.

And here is the passing chart for yesterday's game. Please don't talk about how great Blake's stats were from yesterday. Yes, he had the nice throw to Moncrief. But he had only 2 completions for more than 10 yards, most of his attempts were 5 yards or less. The decision making to hit a receiver for 5 yards when it's 3rd and 10 does necessarily make oneself a good QB. 

[Image: pass-chart_BOR650964_2018-reg-10_1541973838005.jpeg]

I get the post but why are we talking about Blake like he cost us the game?

I mean, shouldn't this be posted after Blake has a bad game?

Not trolling, just trying to understand the logic.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-12-2018, 11:48 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I get the post but why are we talking about Blake like he cost us the game?

I think this was a "bigger picture" post and not specific-game related.

(11-12-2018, 11:48 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I get the post but why are we talking about Blake like he cost us the game?

Because he isn't an NFL QB and this is more evidence.  You do know you have to have a QB that wins games not one that just occupies the position.  I know the counter argument is he didn't fumble the ball but he struggles to throw screen passes.  He actually threw behind the runner on dump offs.  That guy yips his throws constantly.  It is like he has to run through a mental checklist on how to throw the ball while trying to throw the ball.  Slow release, indecisive play and horrible untimely WR drops/fumbles.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The point is, our offense is having a hard time outscoring other teams' offense. This will be a constant theme as long as BB remains QB. It was an issue last season but our defense was playing better then. Now, with a defense that is not so hot, it becomes imperative for us to have the ability to sustain drives.

I guess you could say that the post is a concentrated effort to prove what needs to be done with our possible top 5 draft pick.

(11-12-2018, 11:36 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: And here is the passing chart for yesterday's game. Please don't talk about how great Blake's stats were from yesterday. Yes, he had the nice throw to Moncrief. But he had only 2 completions for more than 10 yards, most of his attempts were 5 yards or less. The decision making to hit a receiver for 5 yards when it's 3rd and 10 does necessarily make oneself a good QB. 

Just because he has few deep attempts, is not only the fault of the QB. Line was erratic. WR have often not created separation, run the wrong route, or drop the ball. Play calling doesn't help him get into rhythm. Coaches have beat into Blake that don't force the pass into the tight window, but hit the check down and see if they can make a play.

Bortles is definitely flawed because he rarely makes plays beyond the playbook or plan outside of a few scrambles. Yesterday is not all his fault.

Bortles audibled to a run play on 3rd and 9. That is all you need to know to make an informed decision.

(11-12-2018, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Bortles audibled to a run play on 3rd and 9. That is all you need to know to make an informed decision.

In his mind, if it has worked it would have been genius...…

nah.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-12-2018, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Bortles audibled to a run play on 3rd and 9. That is all you need to know to make an informed decision.

The questions are......

What was the play he audibled out of? What was the defense in?

The fact that he audibled to a run means nothing.
#iamlegend

(11-12-2018, 11:54 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:

Because he isn't an NFL QB and this is more evidence.  You do know you have to have a QB that wins games not one that just occupies the position.  I know the counter argument is he didn't fumble the ball but he struggles to throw screen passes.  He actually threw behind the runner on dump offs.  That guy yips his throws constantly.  It is like he has to run through a mental checklist on how to throw the ball while trying to throw the ball.  Slow release, indecisive play and horrible untimely WR drops/fumbles.

This grid shows what many have said for a long time; the gameplan has to be tailored around his faults and that holds the offense back. People can blame Hackett all they want, and I won’t completely exempt him from culpability as another coordinator may be able to squeeze more out of Bortles (pure speculation); but it’s beyond abundantly clear why we prefer to be a run first, short passing etc conservative offense

(11-12-2018, 11:58 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Bortles is definitely flawed because he rarely makes plays beyond the playbook or plan outside of a few scrambles. Yesterday is not all his fault.

The playbook is a part of the problem. It reeks of a system that is designed to enable an unreliable quarterback to make safe passes and limit his ability to make mistakes.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 12:13 PM by old_man.)

Really Quick.....

Who have been the best pass catchers on the team........

And if your back is wide open, of course you check it down....He is already in the second level....

This post...... is not reality....

How many games have the Pats won on check downs....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-12-2018, 12:09 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 11:58 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Bortles is definitely flawed because he rarely makes plays beyond the playbook or plan outside of a few scrambles. Yesterday is not all his fault.

The playbook is a part of the problem. It reeks of a system that is designed to enable an unreliable quarterback to make safe passes and limit his ability to make mistakes.

Oh you have a copy of the playbook.

Do you have it in PDF form? I would like to see. You want my email?
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 12:19 PM by I am Yoda.)

(11-12-2018, 11:57 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote:

The point is, our offense is having a hard time outscoring other teams' offense. This will be a constant theme as long as BB remains QB. It was an issue last season but our defense was playing better then. Now, with a defense that is not so hot, it becomes imperative for us to have the ability to sustain drives.

I guess you could say that the post is a concentrated effort to prove what needs to be done with our possible top 5 draft pick.

Even with as bad as the defense stank in the first half yesterday, the Jags should have won that game.  If Lambo doesn't miss his first field goal of the season and the bad call of a fumble on the last drive doesn't happen, the Jags would have won that game scoring either 32 or 36 points.  While Blake's skill set does limit the team, he is by no means responsible for yesterday's loss.  In fact, when he plays like he did yesterday we could win 10 games a year and compete for the division every year.  Good defensive coaching and a better safety fixes the talented defense.  Given the devastating injuries on offense and getting at least 2 or 3 of those guys back, this team is right back in the thick of playoff contention next year.

The only problem with my optimism is that the teams in our division have each taken steps forward this year, too.  Of those I worry long term about the Colts most. Chris Ballard and Frank Reich are the real deal.  The stinkin' Tacks are headed in the right direction, too.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-12-2018, 12:12 PM)old_man Wrote: Really Quick.....

And if your back is wide open,  of course you check it down....He is already in the second level....

YES!!

I AGREE WITH THIS POST!!!!
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM by Inziladun.)

Blake plays like he played this week, I don't care if he never throws it more than 10 yards. We win more than we lose. The offense was moving, we put up points. Defense cost us the game.

That being said, we still should look to upgrade Blake because he's inconsistent. No need to try and make a case about how bad Blake this week, just come back and post about how bad he is when he stinks up the place in a week or two.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

(11-12-2018, 12:15 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 12:09 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: The playbook is a part of the problem. It reeks of a system that is designed to enable an unreliable quarterback to make safe passes and limit his ability to make mistakes.

Oh you have a copy of the playbook.

Do you have it in PDF form? I would like to see. You want my email?

Why would I need a pdf? If you watch a game or two, you have seen the playbook. It's not that complex.

(11-12-2018, 12:12 PM)old_man Wrote: Really Quick.....

And if your back is wide open,  of course you check it down....He is already in the second level....

Are you really trying to compare Brady/Belechik to Bortles/Marrone?