Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Time to make changes

From game 1 there were consistent issues that came out week after week. Something is up at ML. The defense is often out of position and seems confused on coverage. All I know is Poz is gone and Jack calls the sets. Why not give that responsibility to someone else for the remainers of the season? Hubris - mouth of the defense needs to shut it up for the remainer of the season. Blake consistently takes an easy pass to the safety valve instead of throwing downfield. You may not see it on TV, but receivers come open late down field often enough to have made many games closer. It seems a mental thing. I don't know if we have a better option at QB, but the OC can definately begin to craft a plan that forces the ball down the field. Might as well do it now and see what happens. No change - the OC needs to be gone. Give the defensive responsibility to someone else, shut down the talk, game plan for downfield throws.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who are you going to give that responsibility to?

There's a reason he's in that spot. There isn't anyone else rising up to take the job.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 05:48 PM by FJohnson.)

(11-12-2018, 05:29 PM)FBT Wrote: Who are you going to give that responsibility to?  

They NEED to give that responsibility to someone else. Period. If the defense still looks lost, you start pointing fingers at Wash or sitting starters and talk trade for picks.

I know right...

The offense was horrible yesterday.........

I say 5 WR sets every down and throw the ball to the endzone ...........
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

Let me go get the DeLorean from the valet and then we can really change things. Gotta go back in time.... que Huey Lewis and the news.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-12-2018, 05:26 PM)FJohnson Wrote: From game 1 there were consistent issues that came out week after week. Something is up at ML. The defense is often out of position and seems confused on coverage. All I know is Poz is gone and Jack calls the sets. Why not give that responsibility to someone else for the remainers of the season? Hubris - mouth of the defense needs to shut it up for the remainer of the season. Blake consistently takes an easy pass to the safety valve instead of throwing downfield. You may not see it on TV, but receivers come open late down field often enough to have made many games closer. It seems a mental thing. I don't know if we have a better option at QB, but the OC can definately begin to craft a plan that forces the ball down the field. Might as well do it now and see what happens. No change - the OC needs to be gone. Give the defensive responsibility to someone else, shut down the talk, game plan for downfield throws.

I think they've ruined Blake with the over-emphasis on not making a mistake.  Of course, he does make mistakes.  But they've gone overboard.  So if you want him to be safe with the ball above all, you can't bust his chops for not taking any chances.  As long as we have a good running threat, I don't think it's a bad thing to work the short pass game with a handful of downfield stuff.  I would like to see more rpo, though.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(11-12-2018, 05:53 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Let me go get the DeLorean from the valet and then we can really change things.  Gotta go back in time....   que Huey Lewis and the news.

I can already see Dave and Tom's response when you tell them they've got to go back with to see what's happened.

"Do we turn into [BLEEP], or something?"

"No, you're fine, it's your drafts that are the problem!"

Personally, I would like to see more true 4-3 defensive sets. I'd have Jacobs play MLB, as he played both inside and outside linebacker in college, Smith at WLB and Jack at SLB. I've never been a huge fan of having Jack as a MLB.

(11-12-2018, 05:26 PM)FJohnson Wrote: The defense is often out of position and seems confused on coverage.

The defense is not out of position.  The problem is the opposing offense is not in position.

(11-12-2018, 05:26 PM)FJohnson Wrote: From game 1 there were consistent issues that came out week after week. Something is up at ML. The defense is often out of position and seems confused on coverage. All I know is Poz is gone and Jack calls the sets. Why not give that responsibility to someone else for the remainers of the season? Hubris - mouth of the defense needs to shut it up for the remainer of the season. Blake consistently takes an easy pass to the safety valve instead of throwing downfield. You may not see it on TV, but receivers come open late down field often enough to have made many games closer. It seems a mental thing. I don't know if we have a better option at QB, but the OC can definately begin to craft a plan that forces the ball down the field. Might as well do it now and see what happens. No change - the OC needs to be gone. Give the defensive responsibility to someone else, shut down the talk, game plan for downfield throws.

Im lost.

How is this viable?

How does the receivers getting open late help the team?

Wait, late in the play or late in the game?
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-13-2018, 10:39 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 05:26 PM)FJohnson Wrote: ... You may not see it on TV, but receivers come open late down field often enough to have made many games closer. It seems a mental thing. I don't know if we have a better option at QB, but the OC can definately begin to craft a plan that forces the ball down the field. Might as well do it now and see what happens. No change - the OC needs to be gone. Give the defensive responsibility to someone else, shut down the talk, game plan for downfield throws.

Wait, late in the play or late in the game?

Late in the play. 

The all22 is littered with examples of Blake not seeing the open guy. Or in this case, the guy coming open a split second later than when he decides to check down. 
Now - the O-Line play has likely instilled in Blake a bit of an anticipation of pressure that rushes his process a bit, but there are still too many instances of him not seeing the guy, not even looking at the guy, or simply choosing the wrong target. To be fair, these better options are not always the deeper receiver. In Indy for example, Blake threw into double coverage on an intermediate route while Yeldon was standing completely alone with no one near him 8 yards out, jumping up and down begging for the ball. 

You can cull through tape and find examples of this somewhat regularly with half the starting QBs in the league, but it's still a real problem for our Jags  - and Blake needs to be better with these decisions and reads if the team is to salvage any sort of pride to finish this season. Because the run game isn't going to bail the offense out this year very often - if at all.

Blake rarely anticipates a throw.

I watched a TD from Mahomes to Hill and as soon as Hill broke his route into a curl, the ball was there.

Thanks NYC4jags for adding in some more all22. I'm with you that all teams miss open receivers because they can't see everything all the time. Blake doesn't trust himself and he really is slow as heck with decisions and the actual release of the ball. It is easy to pound on him because that is the nature of the QB position. You combine everything with the target charts from yesterday and this offense is just incapable.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-12-2018, 05:33 PM)FJohnson Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 05:29 PM)FBT Wrote: Who are you going to give that responsibility to?  

They NEED to give that responsibility to someone else. Period. If the defense still looks lost, you start pointing fingers at Wash or sitting starters and talk trade for picks.

I always love the change for the sake of change viewpoint.  It's completely misguided, but at least you'll satisfy the need for change.  That's all that matters.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(11-13-2018, 11:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blake rarely anticipates a throw.

I watched a TD from Mahomes to Hill and as soon as Hill broke his route into a curl, the ball was there.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/CVlsQHT_...ortles.gif

The sad thing is it doesn't even take a Mahomes MVP type to get good timing on a curl. It just takes like virtually any non Bortles QB...such as our own backup QB below. Even Moncrief is stunned that he isn't getting hit as he catches the ball and then stumbles when he's met with air instead of a body like usual.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/EJyRCe-S...essler.gif

(11-12-2018, 05:50 PM)old_man Wrote: I know right...

The offense was horrible yesterday.........

I say 5 WR sets every down and throw the ball to the endzone ...........

Right...

That's a proven recipe for turning Bortles into a HUGE turnover machine!

Yup, that's the answer to ALL of this team's problems...

Seems BB% played well enough in the clots game he'll be starting
in the squealers game. I'm nervous and it's only Wednesday .
Maybe we should mess with their plans and start Kessler
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-14-2018, 10:10 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Seems BB% played well enough in the clots game he'll be starting

His last start vs them: 7/14 128yds 0/1 TD/INT.  I'll take my chances with Bort.

(11-14-2018, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 10:10 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Seems BB% played well enough in the clots game he'll be starting

His last start vs them: 7/14 128yds 0/1 TD/INT.  I'll take my chances with Bort.
Blakes last regular season game against Pitt?  8/14 95 yards and an int.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM by rpr52121.)

(11-13-2018, 11:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Late in the play. 

The all22 is littered with examples of Blake not seeing the open guy. Or in this case, the guy coming open a split second later than when he decides to check down. 
Now - the O-Line play has likely instilled in Blake a bit of an anticipation of pressure that rushes his process a bit, but there are still too many instances of him not seeing the guy, not even looking at the guy, or simply choosing the wrong target. To be fair, these better options are not always the deeper receiver. In Indy for example, Blake threw into double coverage on an intermediate route while Yeldon was standing completely alone with no one near him 8 yards out, jumping up and down begging for the ball. 

How late are you seeing? Not sure the accuracy of these stats, but Bortles is already in the bottom 10 in longest time to throw when dropping back. If you want him to stay on reads for a bit longer that is a bit unreasonable, especially given the lack of consistency for pass blocking. Blake was actually quicker on his time to throw last year.

(11-13-2018, 11:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blake rarely anticipates a throw.

Granted Blake is not above average at anticipation throw, but he has done it more than "rarely" in the past. Anticipation throwing is more than just he QB though, it is trusting the WR will be where he is supposed to be and can beat his man and having a play design that gets a guy to an open spot. None of those have been consistent this season, so it makes sense that Bortles is not throwing those if he has any doubt.