Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blown coverages

I know it's tricky to say for sure, but has anyone looked at the tape and analyzed who was responsible for all the blown coverages? Jalen, Telvin, Church? I can't get my head round how something like that can happen time and time again...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There were several culprits. Telvin and both safeties seemed to be the primary offenders but I haven't culled through the all 22 yet.

(11-12-2018, 07:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were several culprits. Telvin and both safeties seemed to be the primary offenders but I haven't culled through the all 22 yet.

Please make a note on the amount of Zone / Man Coverage played in the 1st half, compared to the 2nd half. I'd be willing to bet there was a lot more Zone played in the 1st half, than the 2nd.

(11-12-2018, 07:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I know it's tricky to say for sure, but has anyone looked at the tape and analyzed who was responsible for all the blown coverages? Jalen, Telvin, Church? I can't get my head round how something like that can happen time and time again...

Its a product of teams knowing how we lineup vs certain formations/situations/route concepts and Wash not being able to adjust the defense either during the week or during the games but also players aren't being as disciplined as they should be within the confines of the defense.    

If you know a teams defensive rules then you can manipulate them so the DC and defense as a whole needs to adapt on the fly or have adjustments prepared mid week.

(11-12-2018, 07:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 07:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were several culprits. Telvin and both safeties seemed to be the primary offenders but I haven't culled through the all 22 yet.

Please make a note on the amount of Zone / Man Coverage played in the 1st half, compared to the 2nd half. I'd be willing to bet there was a lot more Zone played in the 1st half, than the 2nd.

Could be. I'll try to check that out. I do know a couple of those big TE passes in the first half came against man coverage though.

Jalen and Church
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-12-2018, 07:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I know it's tricky to say for sure, but has anyone looked at the tape and analyzed who was responsible for all the blown coverages? Jalen, Telvin, Church? I can't get my head round how something like that can happen time and time again...

We have the perfect defensive scheme.  It's the opposing WRs that are running the wrong way.

I can tell you that on that wide open TD to Ebron in the corner of the endzone, Patmon was lined up wrong and couldn't get to the other side of the line.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2018, 11:11 AM by irontrooper83.)

So watched some all-22 today after also listening to comments from players coaches yesterday.
Still going through but on the main TD plays:

-The long TD by Ebron seems like it was Jalen's at fault.(coupled with Doug's comments) We were lined up showing press-man with the CBs but we were playing 3 deep zone. When the play is about to start Gipson is back deep, Patmon on the right side is backpedaling covering his zone deep while Ramsey for some reason is still playing man coverage on Hilton which was supposed to Church's responsiblity at that point. Result is Ebron going deep right where Jalen was supposed to backpedal like Patmon did on the other side and Ramsey obviously wasn't there and Ebron was easily wide open.

-The 12 yards TD by Ebron in the corner of the end zone is Church's fault (confirrmed by Doug). We were in cover 0, 2 guys blitzing, Patmon is covering the guy in front of him (even a few steps late) and Church is supposed to be on Ebron in man coverage. For some reason Church is completely out of position....we could even have called a timeout based on how much confusion there was.

-The Ally Cox TD was again on Ramsey. He was lined up in man coverage right on him, followed when he motioned inside but bit on the play action/hand off to the RB, got sucked up to the LOS and Cox passed right by him with Jacobs trying to recover Jalen's fault. You can see Ramsey trying to rush back as soon as he realizes he bit on the run.

-The 35 yards completion from Luck to Hilton was not a blown coverage but was Church reacting late in zone coverage.

Will try to watch more later.
In general we are struggling a lot (like at times last year) with the receivers running by or behind our LBs(especially Telvin) and Church reacting late, taking a bad angle or the CB/LB getting confused to who's supposed to carry the guy and that stuff.

(11-13-2018, 11:04 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: So watched some all-22 today after also listening to comments from players coaches yesterday.

-The long TD by Ebron seems like it was Jalen's at fault.(coupled with Doug's comments) We were lined up showing press-man with the CBs but we were playing 3 deep zone. When the play is about to start Gipson is back deep, Patmon on the right side is backpedaling covering his zone deep while Ramsey for some reason is still playing man coverage on Hilton which was supposed to Church's responsiblity at that point. Result is Ebron going deep right where Jalen was supposed to backpedal like Patmon did on the other side and Ramsey obviously wasn't there and Ebron was easily wide open.

-The 12 yards TD by Ebron in the corner of the end zone is Church's fault (confirrmed by Doug). We were in cover 0, 2 guys blitzing, Patmon is covering the guy in front of him (even a few steps late) and Church is supposed to be on Ebron in man coverage. For some reason Church is completely out of position....we could even have called a timeout based on how much confusion there was.

-The Ally Cox TD was again on Ramsey. He was lined up in man coverage right on him, followed when he motioned inside but bit on the play action/hand off to the RB, got sucked up to the LOS and Cox passed right by him with Jacobs trying to recover Jalen's fault. You can see Ramsey trying to rush back as soon as he realizes he bit on the run.

-The 35 yards completion from Luck to Hilton was not a blown coverage but was Church reacting late in zone coverage.

In general we are struggling a lot (like at times last year) with the receivers running by or behind our LBs(especially Telvin) and Church reacting late, taking a bad angle or the CB/LB getting confused to who's supposed to carry the guy and that stuff.

Thank you. I've been/continue to be too busy to do watch the coaches film.

(11-13-2018, 10:33 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I can tell you that on that wide open TD to Ebron in the corner of the endzone, Patmon was lined up wrong and couldn't get to the other side of the line.

Incorrect. 

Patmon was clearly covering the slot receiver on a crossing route. He was there to pick up that receiver as the Jags sent the nickel, Hayden, on a DB blitz. 

You didn't see him "trying to get to the other side" you saw him following his responsibility, #14 Zach Pascal, across the field.

(11-13-2018, 11:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 11:04 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: So watched some all-22 today after also listening to comments from players coaches yesterday.

Thank you. I've been/continue to be too busy to do watch the coaches film.

You are welcome, your analysis are much better than mine though. Doing my best.
Man these plays are painful to watch though. We are leaving so much on the field...

Watch Lageman's film breakdown segment on the weekly show yesterday.  He shows how Jalen was the weak spot on the secondary on at least 2 big plays on Sunday.

Ramsey blew it on the Ebron catch, and on another big Hilton catch, he was in zone while the rest of the defense was in man coverage.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Thanks, that's interesting stuff. I very much doubt I could have spotted all that myself.

So the next question is why is Jalen making these errors? Is he deliberately disobeying instructions, or just trying to do too much, or is it lapses of concentration, or over-confidence?

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere, but Boselli went off on Ramsey for going rogue and playing man when he was supposed to be in zone too.

So basically everything that we've all been saying for weeks and weeks now... Yet nothing has changed... Falls on Wash.

It's obvious every team in the league knows what we're going to do every week and we don't change much at all. We go into the game with the exact same game plan Defensively, as the week before and teams abuse us until we finally adjust a little bit at halftime. By then it's already too late and pointless. Any half way decent QB is going to eat up Zone coverage and that was before the league made it even easier for Offenses to succeed. Now the Offense can hold all day long and the Defense can hardly look at Offensive players without getting penalties, which makes playing Zone even worse.

It's the same [BLEEP] every week. They need to bench Church already... He's constantly out of position and takes terrible angles. Harrison can't possibly be any worse.

(11-13-2018, 02:43 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Thanks, that's interesting stuff. I very much doubt I could have spotted all that myself.

So the next question is why is Jalen making these errors? Is he deliberately disobeying instructions, or just trying to do too much, or is it lapses of concentration, or over-confidence?
You are welcome Smile

I really don't know about that. At times he was clearly the only guy playing the wrong coverage, at times he was trying to do too much or reading the play wrong (for exemple on the TD where he was in man but bit on the handoff). Really don't have an answer to why that's happening.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM by irontrooper83.)

(11-13-2018, 11:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote: So basically everything that we've all been saying for weeks and weeks now... Yet nothing has changed... Falls on Wash.

It's obvious every team in the league knows what we're going to do every week and we don't change much at all. We go into the game with the exact same game plan Defensively, as the week before and teams abuse us until we finally adjust a little bit at halftime. By then it's already too late and pointless. Any half way decent QB is going to eat up Zone coverage and that was before the league made it even easier for Offenses to succeed. Now the Offense can hold all day long and the Defense can hardly look at Offensive players without getting penalties, which makes playing Zone even worse.

It's the same [BLEEP] every week. They need to bench Church already... He's constantly out of position and takes terrible angles. Harrison can't possibly be any worse.

Yeah, I mean I hate Wash zone as well (and I would like a new DC actually), especially on those 3rd & long and as much as I want all of that stuff gone there's more to it and players are making huge individual mistakes and don't know what's happening.

Gipson said that the calls they are getting communicated are really easy to understand, there's nothing exotic, they just can't explain why so many breakdowns by individuals.
I agree that some of the struggles come from teams knowing how and where to attack us (and again probably getting rid of most zone stuff would help with that), one exemple is that teams saw that last year we struggled at times handing the receiver to another DB through zone and got confused on who was supposed to carry and they are exploiting that much more this season.

I think not playing with a lead has played a big role into that as well, probably this defense has always struggled a bit when opposing teams weren't forced to be in passing situations (last year we used to have the lead early quite often and that suited us well)

One other thing is individual mistakes and poor performances. As we have seen this past game (but also other times) there were times the communication was clear, the call was clear and players just missing completely their assignment or being late or just being fooled way too easily.
Like you said I think it's time to bench Church. He's often late or out of position or takes a bad angle. He's gone after this season, with the lapses he's having just put Harrison in there and see what he can do. Can't be much worse and you give him some experience ahead of next season.
Telvin is another guy who's underperforming. Not saying we should bench him but he really needs to step it up or we'll have some decisions to make considering he isn't exactly cheap and opposing teams are exposing him.
These final few games can be a good time to see what some other players have got to offer.

With it looking like Bouye can return against the Steelers, do you put him on Antonio Brown and allow Ramsey to be on Ju Ju or whoever is opposite?

(11-14-2018, 01:52 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: With it looking like Bouye can return against the Steelers, do you put him on Antonio Brown and allow Ramsey to be on Ju Ju or whoever is opposite?

Personally - I'd bet they'll just let them (AJ & Jalen) stay to their respective sides of the field in this one, but I really don't know. 

Probably comes down to how close to 100% Bouye is.