Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft O-Line Early In 2019? Finally?

Since many of us here have lobbied for o-line help via early round picks the past two (or three) years. I thought I'd create a thread to discuss the possibility of it happening in next year's draft - and to examine some prospects as well. 

Last year, names like B. Smith, Ragnow, Hernandez (and even McGlinchey to some degree) littered threads in this section when discussing potential o-line help in the draft. Looks like those were pretty good calls right about now. 

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1063443344976695296

Which positions of the Jags' O-Line would you seek to help via the draft and who are some prospects you are eyeing?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I kind of like the idea of drafting a tackle with some versatility to play elsewhere if needed - or if he doesn't win either tackle spot right away.

A few early impressions from scouting reports and limited video:

Jonah Williams (Alabama) has experience playing both sides and at least one report i read on home says he could slide to the interior.

Dalton Risner (Kansas St.) is a tackle ranked highly on most early boards who began his college stint at Center - indicating some versatility as well.

Bobby Evans out of Oklahoma is a guy that will likely go a bit later that seems to have some versatility  - but could challenge to start at tackle as well.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

If I was to make a big board Williams would be my 2nd ranked guy behind Grier. He doesnt have the massive size you would want in a tackle to be taken that high but he is about as good as it gets. Every Alabama game I watch I keep an eye on him and you never see a defender beat him or even really get passes him. Well 3rd behind Bosa as well

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018, 11:52 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

We need a RG prospect at season end and it wouldnt shock me really to see us take one in the early rounds. My favorite RG prospect in the draft is Wisconsin RG Beau Benzschawel. He was a First Team All American last year, has started at RG pretty much is whole career. Here is a game last year agaisnt Ohio St. He is good in the run and against the pass but i think he is best when he gets to the 2nd level something Cann could rarely do and Beau does it often. He is good when he pulls also, not to mention he plays for Wisconsin.

Here is just one play where he drives the defender back about 10 yards. Going to post more plays of soon when i get a little more time. Look at 3:40 I was going to post plays at certain times when he gets to the 2nd level as well but it wont let me for some reason. I havent done it in the past, not sure why it wont let me. If anyone has time watch some of his games he looks like a plug and player furture Pro Bowl RG prospect

https://youtu.be/BLeEwJtC8fo?t=218

(11-16-2018, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I kind of like the idea of drafting a tackle with some versatility to play elsewhere if needed - or if he doesn't win either tackle spot right away.

A few early impressions from scouting reports and limited video:

Jonah Williams (Alabama) has experience playing both sides and at least one report i read on home says he could slide to the interior.

Dalton Risner (Kansas St.) is a tackle ranked highly on most early boards who began his college stint at Center - indicating some versatility as well.

Bobby Evans out of Oklahoma is a guy that will likely go a bit later that seems to have some versatility  - but could challenge to start at tackle as well.

Jonah Williams is a great RT prospect. I think taking him top 10 might be a bit of a reach though. He could play LT but I'm not sure we'd be improving the spot and feels like a bit of a wasted pick in the first round to take a RT.
I like Risner as a guard prospect actually. Can play RT, RG or C. Very versatile. Probably a 2nd rounder. Which would give us flexibility with him and Richardson at RT or RG.
Benzschawel and Dieter both OGs from Wisconsin would be good grabs in the 2nd as well.

Ideally something like 
1st Grier
2nd Benz/Dieter/Risner (I think Risner is the value here honestly being able to play multiple spots which as we've seen this year comes in handy)
3rd Caleb Wilson (TE from UCLA--might not make it here though)
Then address OL again with one of our 2 4th rounders.

OL should be 2 of our first 5 picks and we should add one in FA (I would actually lean on trying to keep a guy like Shatley)

(11-16-2018, 11:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We need a RG prospect at season end and it wouldnt shock me really to see us take one in the early rounds.  My favorite RG prospect in the draft is Wisconsin RG Beau Benzschawel.  He was a First Team All American last year, has started at RG pretty much is whole career.  Here is a game last year agaisnt Ohio St. He is good in the run and against the pass but i think he is best when he gets to the 2nd level something Cann could rarely do and Beau does it often.  He is good when he pulls also, not to mention he plays for Wisconsin.  

Here is just one play where he drives the defender back about 10 yards.  Going to post more plays of soon when i get a little more time.  Look at 3:40  I was going to post plays at certain times when he gets to the 2nd level  as well but it wont let me for some reason.  I havent done it in the past, not sure why it wont let me. If anyone has time watch some of his games he looks like a plug and player furture Pro Bowl RG prospect

I like the look of him, looks like a pretty gritty interior player who can move piles and a Wiscy Oline is always a good bet.  

One of the Wisconsin beats I follow doesn't rate him much, thinks Edwards and Dieter are much better prospects. Based on what I've seen I'd probably agree on Edwards at least.

My favorite guy I've watched so from is Chris Lindstrom from BC, played tackle and interior for them but he's def a guard.
Monstrous run blocker, just really gets after it and tries ruin whoever he's blocking. Strong punches and decent mover.

Pass blocking is solid but can be kinda sloppy. Not a big deal for me personally.

I'd wager he's a top 100 guy when all is said and done

(11-16-2018, 01:51 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 11:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We need a RG prospect at season end and it wouldnt shock me really to see us take one in the early rounds.  My favorite RG prospect in the draft is Wisconsin RG Beau Benzschawel.  He was a First Team All American last year, has started at RG pretty much is whole career.  Here is a game last year agaisnt Ohio St. He is good in the run and against the pass but i think he is best when he gets to the 2nd level something Cann could rarely do and Beau does it often.  He is good when he pulls also, not to mention he plays for Wisconsin.  

Here is just one play where he drives the defender back about 10 yards.  Going to post more plays of soon when i get a little more time.  Look at 3:40  I was going to post plays at certain times when he gets to the 2nd level  as well but it wont let me for some reason.  I havent done it in the past, not sure why it wont let me. If anyone has time watch some of his games he looks like a plug and player furture Pro Bowl RG prospect

I like the look of him, looks like a pretty gritty interior player who can move piles and a Wiscy Oline is always a good bet.  

One of the Wisconsin beats I follow doesn't rate him much, thinks Edwards and Dieter are much better prospects. Based on what I've seen I'd probably agree on Edwards at least.
 We are going to need a RG, it has been the weakest spot on our oline for years.  Are they better prospects at RG than the guy who plays RG?  Beau looks the part imo.  Alabama's guard could be a possibility as well

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018, 03:09 PM by JackCity.)

(11-16-2018, 02:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 01:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: I like the look of him, looks like a pretty gritty interior player who can move piles and a Wiscy Oline is always a good bet.  

We are going to need a RG, it has been the weakest spot on our oline for years.  Are they better prospects at RG than the guy who plays RG?  Beau looks the part imo.  Alabama's guard could be a possibility as well

No just better prospects overall according to them (Haven't watched much bar Edwards). Biadasz if he comes out might be ahead of him too. I like Beau from what I've seen

Early like rounds 2-3 after we take a QB in the first. Yeah that sounds good.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We need a RG and a reliable swing Tackle. Since we will (or should I say, "should") target a QB in round 1, I would start looking for O-Line help in round 2. I'm really more interested in players who can play multiple positions on the O-Line and the players I most like are OT/OG Bobby Evans of Oklahoma, OG/OT Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin, OT/OG Alex Bars (coming off of injury) of Notre Dame and OG/OT Cody Ford of Oklahoma.

(11-16-2018, 08:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've said it before, I'll say it again. We need a RG and a reliable swing Tackle. Since we will (or should I say, "should") target a QB in round 1, I would start looking for O-Line help in round 2. I'm really more interested in players who can play multiple positions on the O-Line and the players I most like are OT/OG Bobby Evans of Oklahoma, OG/OT Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin, OT/OG Alex Bars (coming off of injury) of Notre Dame and OG/OT Cody Ford of Oklahoma.

I really like Risner if he's there at the top of round 2.
He plays RT but can play RG and C.
Come back to OL or go TE in round 3. Jordan OG (Ohio State) or Wilson TE (UCLA)

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-20-2018, 01:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 08:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've said it before, I'll say it again. We need a RG and a reliable swing Tackle. Since we will (or should I say, "should") target a QB in round 1, I would start looking for O-Line help in round 2. I'm really more interested in players who can play multiple positions on the O-Line and the players I most like are OT/OG Bobby Evans of Oklahoma, OG/OT Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin, OT/OG Alex Bars (coming off of injury) of Notre Dame and OG/OT Cody Ford of Oklahoma.

I really like Risner if he's there at the top of round 2.

Risner is fine. He's not quite as strong in pass protection as some of the other guys. I don't like Jordan though. The entire OSU O-line has been pretty inconsistent this season. Haskins very rarely has a clean pocket. As far as TE, this is a banner year. I'd take Noah Fant, Irv Smith, Jace Sternberger, Caleb Wilson or Josh Oliver.

(11-20-2018, 02:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 01:03 PM)Kane Wrote: I really like Risner if he's there at the top of round 2.

Risner is fine. He's not quite as strong in pass protection as some of the other guys. I don't like Jordan though. The entire OSU O-line has been pretty inconsistent this season. Haskins very rarely has a clean pocket. As far as TE, this is a banner year. I'd take Noah Fant, Irv Smith, Jace Sternberger, Caleb Wilson or Josh Oliver.

Yeah I see Jordan as a shelf guy less than a starter really.
I actually like Risner better as a RG than RT, but versatility is key as you alluded to especially on both lines

(11-20-2018, 03:26 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 02:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Risner is fine. He's not quite as strong in pass protection as some of the other guys. I don't like Jordan though. The entire OSU O-line has been pretty inconsistent this season. Haskins very rarely has a clean pocket. As far as TE, this is a banner year. I'd take Noah Fant, Irv Smith, Jace Sternberger, Caleb Wilson or Josh Oliver.

Yeah I see Jordan as a shelf guy less than a starter really.
I actually like Risner better as a RG than RT, but versatility is key as you alluded to especially on both lines

Yeah. I'd like to draft a guy with OG/OT experience to replace Cann. I like having interchangeable pieces on the O-Line. It gives us a little more flexibility once injuries occur.

Biadasz from Wisconsin might be a first round pick if he comes out.

I haven't watched any player so far but yes please let's add some OL early. RG, LT or RT a C(if a great LT is there, consider moving Robinson to the right,)....just add quality OL early.
OL play is too important. (and of course get a new QB but that's fairly obvious).

Here's a name for you all.

Johnny Gibson Jr , Senior guard for Arkansas. 6'4 320

(11-20-2018, 07:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Here's a name for you all.

Is he the son of Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson?

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-20-2018, 05:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Biadasz from Wisconsin might be a first round pick if he comes out.

If he does, I believe he will be the first real interior lineman taken in the draft. The only problem with him is that he is a true Center and doesn't offer any versatility to play other positions, as far as we're concerned. He is by far, the best Center in the draft though and a lot of teams need one.

(11-20-2018, 07:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Here's a name for you all.

Arkansas' offense has been pretty bad this year. They rank #109 in total offense. I'd imagine he'd be a late round pick.