Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft O-Line Early In 2019? Finally?

(12-22-2018, 03:05 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 12:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He faces speed rushers at LT and he just doesn't have the movement and footwork to be everything you need in a LT. Moving him to the right side would pit him against more bull rushers and IMO, that's more the type of defenders he's built to match up with.

Not at all.  

Think about it, Cam has taken thousands of thousands of reps as LT throughout his career. He's essentially only played on the left side.   

Now consider the technique and balance issues he has on the left as a pass protector. Moving him makes those way way worse and he'll still be facing elite pass rushers there.. 

Listen to any lineman talk about moving sides from left to right. Even left guards going to right guards can struggle for the simple reason that it's opposite movement patterns they haven't refined. Some good tackles can do it, but generally they have played there before and have very good technique and balance.

Overmatched LT's move to the right side all the time. It's much harder to go from right to left, which is why you hardly ever see it, but LT's move to the right side all the time. In fact, current starting NFL RT's Andre Smith, La'el Collins, Jared Veldheer, Bryan Bulaga, Mitchell Schwartz, Rashod Hill, Ryan Ramczyk, Brandon Parker, Lane Johnson and Mike McGlinchey were all LT's in college.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-22-2018, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 03:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Not at all.  

Think about it, Cam has taken thousands of thousands of reps as LT throughout his career. He's essentially only played on the left side.   

Now consider the technique and balance issues he has on the left as a pass protector. Moving him makes those way way worse and he'll still be facing elite pass rushers there.. 

Listen to any lineman talk about moving sides from left to right. Even left guards going to right guards can struggle for the simple reason that it's opposite movement patterns they haven't refined. Some good tackles can do it, but generally they have played there before and have very good technique and balance.

Overmatched LT's move to the right side all the time. It's much harder to go from right to left, which is why you hardly ever see it, but LT's move to the right side all the time. In fact, current starting NFL RT's Andre Smith, La'el Collins, Jared Veldheer, Bryan Bulaga, Mitchell Schwartz, Rashod Hill, Ryan Ramczyk, Brandon Parker, Lane Johnson and Mike McGlinchey were all LT's in college.

Mitchell Schwartz - played RT and LT in college..one of the best technicians you'll see at the tackle spot..

La'el Collins - Played LT and guard in college...was awful at guard in the NFL and has allowed the 5th most pressure this year at RT    

Jared Veldheer- Played a few spots on the Oline , bizarrely played center for a bit at 6'8. Struggled massively when moved to RT despite vast experience. 

Bryan Bulaga - One of the best technicians you will see at the tackle spot, despite lots of injuries. 

Rashod Hill - Has been one of the worst tackles in the NFL this year after a decent game or two last year 

Brandon Parker- one of the worst tackles in the NFL 

Lane Johnson - played a season at RT in college. Freak athlete and one of the best technicians in the NFL. 

Mike McGlinchey - played a season at RT in college and was very polished technique wise coming out. 

Andre Smith - most comparable to Cam. Played LT in college before moving to RT in the pro's , had an elite stretch at RT as part of that amazing Bengals Oline but has since fallen off a cliff. Big mauling run blocker type similar to Cam but had good pass blocking too. 

I think that pretty much proves my point. The good converts have played RT before and/or were elite technically , the rest have been absolutely dreadful at RT. If you wanna bank on Cam having an elite stretch like Andre Smith as part of an elite Oline that's fine, it just shouldn't be expected

(12-22-2018, 04:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Overmatched LT's move to the right side all the time. It's much harder to go from right to left, which is why you hardly ever see it, but LT's move to the right side all the time. In fact, current starting NFL RT's Andre Smith, La'el Collins, Jared Veldheer, Bryan Bulaga, Mitchell Schwartz, Rashod Hill, Ryan Ramczyk, Brandon Parker, Lane Johnson and Mike McGlinchey were all LT's in college.

Mitchell Schwartz - played RT and LT in college..one of the best technicians you'll see at the tackle spot..

La'el Collins - Played LT and guard in college...was awful at guard in the NFL and has allowed the 5th most pressure this year at RT    

Jared Veldheer- Played a few spots on the Oline , bizarrely played center for a bit at 6'8. Struggled massively when moved to RT despite vast experience. 

Bryan Bulaga - One of the best technicians you will see at the tackle spot, despite lots of injuries. 

Rashod Hill - Has been one of the worst tackles in the NFL this year after a decent game or two last year 

Lane Johnson - played a season at RT in college. Freak athlete and one of the best technicians in the NFL. 

Mike McGlinchey - played a season at RT in college and was very polished technique wise coming out. 

Andre Smith - most comparable to Cam. Played LT in college before moving to RT in the pro's , had an elite stretch at RT as part of that amazing Bengals Oline but has since fallen off a cliff. Big mauling run blocker type similar to Cam but had good pass blocking too. 

I think that pretty much proves my point. The good converts have played RT before and/or were elite technically , the rest have been absolutely dreadful at RT. If you wanna bank on Cam having an elite stretch like Andre Smith as part of an elite Oline that's fine, it just shouldn't be expected

Yeah - switching sides is definitely not an automatic thing for left tackles or any other guys that don't have the technique/versatility. 

I could be wrong, but I think Rashod Hill actually lost his RT starting role to a fourth round rookie this year. So - yeah - not good.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018, 05:02 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-22-2018, 04:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Overmatched LT's move to the right side all the time. It's much harder to go from right to left, which is why you hardly ever see it, but LT's move to the right side all the time. In fact, current starting NFL RT's Andre Smith, La'el Collins, Jared Veldheer, Bryan Bulaga, Mitchell Schwartz, Rashod Hill, Ryan Ramczyk, Brandon Parker, Lane Johnson and Mike McGlinchey were all LT's in college.

No, it doesn't. Whether you want to admit it or not, those guys spent the majority of their college careers as LT's and were still able to move to RT and maintain starting positions in the NFL. Schwartz, Bulaga, Johnson and Smith at very high levels and McGlinchey and Ramzcyk have looked very impressive in their young careers. It's not that big of a deal to move from LT to RT, especially if you lack the footwork to handle speed rushers. It's done a lot in the NFL.

(12-22-2018, 05:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 04:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Mitchell Schwartz - played RT and LT in college..one of the best technicians you'll see at the tackle spot..

No, it doesn't. Whether you want to admit it or not, those guys spent the majority of their college careers as LT's and were still able to move to RT and maintain starting positions in the NFL. Schwartz, Bulaga, Johnson and Smith at very high levels and McGlinchey and Ramzcyk have looked very impressive in their young careers. It's not that big of a deal to move from LT to RT, especially if you lack the footwork to handle speed rushers. It's done a lot in the NFL.

I mean I just layed it out for you player by player. Schwartz , Bulaga and Johnson are 3 of the most technically sound tackles in the entire league , two of them had played RT at the college level for at least a year. Ramzyck and McGlinchey were extremely polished coming out technically, McGlinchey had played a year at RT.  

Cam is not good technically and has bad balance, he also has no experience at RT in his career. Both of these things means you shouldn't expect him to be magically good at RT.  

The tackles you named without good technique that moved to the right side are some of the worst right tackles in football so I don't know what you are saying to be honest.

You are severely underestimating the value of having experience at RT prior to the move and being really sound technically.

Just listen to any offensive lineman/coach talk about moving sides and they'll tell you the same.

It's not impossible , just very hard if you already have bad technique and never done it before, which is Cam Robinsons case.

(12-22-2018, 05:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 04:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: Mitchell Schwartz - played RT and LT in college..one of the best technicians you'll see at the tackle spot..

The reason that more LT have moved LT to RT than vise versa is because most of the time your best tackle will be playing LT to protect the QB blind side.  The highly talented and elite tackles usually have the good feet, size, hands etc.   Those guys will usually be taken early.  Going to be hard to get a good swing tackle after the 1st round, those guys dont grow on trees which is why they are taken early

(12-22-2018, 05:23 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 05:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No, it doesn't. Whether you want to admit it or not, those guys spent the majority of their college careers as LT's and were still able to move to RT and maintain starting positions in the NFL. Schwartz, Bulaga, Johnson and Smith at very high levels and McGlinchey and Ramzcyk have looked very impressive in their young careers. It's not that big of a deal to move from LT to RT, especially if you lack the footwork to handle speed rushers. It's done a lot in the NFL.

I mean I just layed it out for you player by player. Schwartz , Bulaga and Johnson are 3 of the most technically sound tackles in the entire league , two of them had played RT at the college level for at least a year. Ramzyck and McGlinchey were extremely polished coming out technically, McGlinchey had played a year at RT.  

Cam is not good technically and has bad balance, he also has no experience at RT in his career. Both of these things means you shouldn't expect him to be magically good at RT.  

The tackles you named without good technique that moved to the right side are some of the worst right tackles in football so I don't know what you are saying to be honest.

We differ on our evaluations. You think Cam's problems stem from balance and I believe it's his footwork.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018, 08:02 PM by JackCity.)

(12-22-2018, 07:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 05:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: I mean I just layed it out for you player by player. Schwartz , Bulaga and Johnson are 3 of the most technically sound tackles in the entire league , two of them had played RT at the college level for at least a year. Ramzyck and McGlinchey were extremely polished coming out technically, McGlinchey had played a year at RT.  

We differ on our evaluations. You think Cam's problems stem from balance and I believe it's his footwork.

No. Footwork is included in technique. He's got bad technique and balance, despite training at LT for years 

Asking him to do that on the right side would make his technique (including his footwork) and balance worse.

(12-22-2018, 06:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 05:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No, it doesn't. Whether you want to admit it or not, those guys spent the majority of their college careers as LT's and were still able to move to RT and maintain starting positions in the NFL. Schwartz, Bulaga, Johnson and Smith at very high levels and McGlinchey and Ramzcyk have looked very impressive in their young careers. It's not that big of a deal to move from LT to RT, especially if you lack the footwork to handle speed rushers. It's done a lot in the NFL.

The reason that more LT have moved LT to RT than vise versa is because most of the time your best tackle will be playing LT to protect the QB blind side.  The highly talented and elite tackles usually have the good feet, size, hands etc.   Those guys will usually be taken early.  Going to be hard to get a good swing tackle after the 1st round, those guys dont grow on trees which is why they are taken early

Footwork is everything when it comes to playing LT. You're right, it's rare to find a good swing Tackle later in the draft, which is why I am advocating taking one in that 3rd to 4th rounds. I am hoping this D-Line class is so good, that some of the better OT prospects get pushed down the board. One guy I really like in that range is Michigan LT Jon Runyan Jr.. He may not be the most physically gifted guy, but he is technically very good which is probably due to his dad being a former All-Pro NFL OT. I believe he has the footwork to be a solid swing tackle.

(12-18-2018, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kaleb McGary is a guy I think we could look at in the 2nd or 3rd if still available for Parnells replacement.   Has started a 4 years at RT, made first team All Pac 12 the last 2 years, Won the 2018 Morris Trophy (award to the best olineman in the Pac 12 voted by opposing players).  320 lbs. and a great run blocker.  I love the fact that he has started 4 years a RT. I dont think he will be there with our 3rd pick but if we go QB and TE or G in the first 2 I think a trade up from our first 3rd round pick to get a guy that could start day one at RT is possible.

Bruce Feldman has an article out that said he's gonna test lights out. They (his trainers) said he's gonna run a 4.9 + 36" vertical. 

Now I don't expect those numbers at all for McGary but if turns out to test pretty well he'll become a lot more interesting to me

(02-26-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kaleb McGary is a guy I think we could look at in the 2nd or 3rd if still available for Parnells replacement.   Has started a 4 years at RT, made first team All Pac 12 the last 2 years, Won the 2018 Morris Trophy (award to the best olineman in the Pac 12 voted by opposing players).  320 lbs. and a great run blocker.  I love the fact that he has started 4 years a RT. I dont think he will be there with our 3rd pick but if we go QB and TE or G in the first 2 I think a trade up from our first 3rd round pick to get a guy that could start day one at RT is possible.

Bruce Feldman has an article out that said he's gonna test lights out. They (his trainers) said he's gonna run a 4.9 + 36" vertical. 

Now I don't expect those numbers at all for McGary but if turns out to test pretty well he'll become a lot more interesting to me

That would be impressive but I'm not to concerned about my tackles 40 or vert.  I do still like McGary and think he would be a steal if he makes it to our 3rd pick

(02-26-2019, 10:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Bruce Feldman has an article out that said he's gonna test lights out. They (his trainers) said he's gonna run a 4.9 + 36" vertical. 

That would be impressive but I'm not to concerned about my tackles 40 or vert.  I do still like McGary and think he would be a steal if he makes it to our 3rd pick

its not about either of them individually (and no way he gets either) , just that he's probably more athletic than he looks on tape.

I always thought most important for o-line was 10 yard split, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone, and bench press.

(02-27-2019, 02:14 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: I always thought most important for o-line was 10 yard split, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone, and bench press.

Yeah more important than 40 or vertical for sure.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019, 04:29 AM by Upper.)

If Justis and his charting is to be believed, you really only need to know the shuttle times for OL. If they show great short area lateral quickness they're good enough at anything else they'll need athletically.

Here's a quick rundown of it from a very recent RW article:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-dr...it-matters

"These next two sections are singular testing results that best project future success for certain positions. That can be quite an ask, finding a single athletic test that has the highest hit rate among the top performers, but two fit the bill. I know career starts might not be the best way to exhibit success, but it does show a combination of trust and longevity teams have in a player.

First is the 20-yard shuttle for offensive linemen.

These are the top Combine testers from 2010 to 2018. In that span, over 300 OL prospects have completed a 20-yard shuttle (thanks to Anthony Staggs for backing this up). The top 22 are listed above. As you can see, 19 of the 22 were drafted, and those drafted players went on to start 85% of their career games. Taking it one step further, the eight Day 3 OL have started 85.47% of their career games.

It is not a leap to say that if an offensive lineman at this year’s Combine hits that 4.47, you should draft him. This type of success is extremely impressive. Again, that result places them in the top percentiles of their position, but it also results in success."

(the other is obviously 3 cone for EDGE)

I've seen too many guys who are fast and athletic, but can't get the technique side down and end up floundering in the NFL. For my own personal opinion on O-Linemen, I only judge them on game tape, especially against much stiffer competition. I love watching small school guys come to the all-star games and show what they have against SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and other top players. To me, the big risers this year were OG Nate Davis of Charlotte and Tytus Davis of Alabama State. Both guys played very well against top level competition and could be in contention to be selected on day 2 of the draft.

(02-27-2019, 05:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've seen too many guys who are fast and athletic, but can't get the technique side down and end up floundering in the NFL. For my own personal opinion on O-Linemen, I only judge them on game tape, especially against much stiffer competition. I love watching small school guys come to the all-star games and show what they have against SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and other top players. To me, the big risers this year were OG Nate Davis of Charlotte and Tytus Davis of Alabama State. Both guys played very well against top level competition and could be in contention to be selected on day 2 of the draft.

I bet you were looking at the wrong "fast and athletic" drills to prove that. Cause that chart showed there aren't many top shuttle scores that flounder in the NFL.

(02-27-2019, 05:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've seen too many guys who are fast and athletic, but can't get the technique side down and end up floundering in the NFL. For my own personal opinion on O-Linemen, I only judge them on game tape, especially against much stiffer competition. I love watching small school guys come to the all-star games and show what they have against SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and other top players. To me, the big risers this year were OG Nate Davis of Charlotte and Tytus Davis of Alabama State. Both guys played very well against top level competition and could be in contention to be selected on day 2 of the draft.

Game tape is the important part. I know there's several linemen this year I like that won't test well but I love their on field play so don't mind.

It's just if you have good tape and aren't limited athletically theres less things for me to worry about projection wise.