Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(01-10-2019, 09:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 07:51 PM)Brett Wrote: Haskins posted a photoshopped picture of him in a Giants uniform. He doesn't want to be with us lol 

[Image: 8953056.PNG]
Read this whole thread and look at the one he posted in a Jags uniform.

He also doesn’t have a say in who drafts him so it doesn’t matter what he does on social media.

Oh nice, sorry I didn't catch that one too. And yep, I know it doesn't matter just was playing around Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-08-2019, 11:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 07:56 PM)pirkster Wrote: Last year, I would have taken a chance on Jackson, and worked him in the same way the Ravens did.

I also thought Mayfield had the best chance of success... otherwise, I said last year's class was a minefield and a poor class, too.

I see absolutely nothing special in any of these QBs, and am baffled by what some think makes Haskins any different than any of the others... he's extremely green/raw and has nothing that separates him from the others at all.

I just don't see how you claim this if you've watched him. The guy throws strike after strike, and he's such a natural talent in the pocket. Now it's been pointed out that his stats tend to suffer when he's under pressure, however that tends to happen with any qb. What impresses me about him even when he's under pressure is that you don't see him get rattled. He takes it in stride, and he has the legs to get out and escape when necessary. Heck, the guy pretty much has it all.

Maybe you can show us what you're saying. Go find some game clips that convince you he's no good, and explain to us what you're seeing. Then maybe I can start to come to grasp with your conclusions.

The problem is that his PR department has scrubbed all lowlight videos of Haskins. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but all you can find are highlights.

(01-09-2019, 05:04 PM)Upper Wrote: Wait, someone really said "history has shown that" the last 3 draft classes that include Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, and Mayfield (with Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Ljax still up in the air) were bad classes. That's...well...yikes.

Just shows me that College must be harder than the NFL nowadays. Cause Watson and Wentz were the only ones that actually accomplished anything.

Or the NFL has totally neutered defenses to cater to a new generation of moronic, simplistic, easily distracted Americans... so it allows QBs that would have been awful 20 years ago not only succeed but break HOF players records.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-11-2019, 09:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 11:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I just don't see how you claim this if you've watched him. The guy throws strike after strike, and he's such a natural talent in the pocket. Now it's been pointed out that his stats tend to suffer when he's under pressure, however that tends to happen with any qb. What impresses me about him even when he's under pressure is that you don't see him get rattled. He takes it in stride, and he has the legs to get out and escape when necessary. Heck, the guy pretty much has it all.

Maybe you can show us what you're saying. Go find some game clips that convince you he's no good, and explain to us what you're seeing. Then maybe I can start to come to grasp with your conclusions.

The problem is that his PR department has scrubbed all lowlight videos of Haskins. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but all you can find are highlights.
He had a 70 percent completion rate, threw for 50 TDs, 8 INTs, and averaged over 9 yards per attempt.

How much scrubbing would they have to do?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-11-2019, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: The problem is that his PR department has scrubbed all lowlight videos of Haskins. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but all you can find are highlights.
He had a 70 percent completion rate, threw for 50 TDs, 8 INTs, and averaged over 9 yards per attempt.

1 scrub I would assume.

Haskins has his flaws. No doubt. But so does every single prospect coming out. He will be nitpicked more than any other player in the 2019 draft because he's currently the top QB. There will be hundreds of articles written about him as to why he will be a bust.

The fact is that he has incredible numbers and those numbers are backed up when you watch him play. He was the sole reason OSU had the season they did this year. He had to deal with Bosa quitting to prepare for the draft. Urban Meyer having breakdowns weekly as well as the rumor talks all season about him "retiring." He had to deal with the spotlight of being the QB on one of the biggest programs in the country. He did all this while being cool and calm.

(01-11-2019, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: He had a 70 percent completion rate, threw for 50 TDs, 8 INTs, and averaged over 9 yards per attempt.

1 scrub I would assume.

Haskins has his flaws. No doubt. But so does every single prospect coming out. He will be nitpicked more than any other player in the 2019 draft because he's currently the top QB. There will be hundreds of articles written about him as to why he will be a bust.

The fact is that he has incredible numbers and those numbers are backed up when you watch him play. He was the sole reason OSU had the season they did this year. He had to deal with Bosa quitting to prepare for the draft. Urban Meyer having breakdowns weekly as well as the rumor talks all season about him "retiring." He had to deal with the spotlight of being the QB on one of the biggest programs in the country. He did all this while being cool and calm.

I just like seeing the negative plays as well as the positive and I can't find clips of them... I'm sure he is great. I'm not trying to deny that.. it's just nice to see both sides of the coin

(01-11-2019, 10:00 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 1 scrub I would assume.

I just like seeing the negative plays as well as the positive and I can't find clips of them... I'm sure he is great. I'm not trying to deny that.. it's just nice to see both sides of the coin

That's reasonable.

Speaking of which, what happened to draftbreakdown.com?

I've been watching the entire games in order to get the presnap commentary for most of the QBs. I think our biggest issue the last few QBs is that our QBs never developped good presnap intelligence so they are always reacting after the snap instead of reading rhe D and knowing how the play will develop to hit the hot routes or see the blown coverages.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-11-2019, 10:39 AM)archer56 Wrote: I've been watching the entire games in order to get the presnap commentary for most of the QBs. I think our biggest issue the last few QBs is that our QBs never developped good presnap intelligence so they are always reacting after the snap instead of reading rhe D and knowing how the play will develop to hit the hot routes or see the blown coverages.

Perhaps this is displaying my ignorance, but I would think QBs always react after the snap to what defenses do, because a defense can show a look presnap and play something entirely different post snap.

That said, I'm all for Jaguars QBs improving pre snap recognition.

(01-11-2019, 10:00 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 1 scrub I would assume.

Here you go. The videos have all his passes from the respective games.

Oehser is mocking Haskins to the Jags:

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-com...b-the-call

(01-11-2019, 02:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Oehser is mocking Haskins to the Jags:

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5449901]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I just can't see the Giants passing on Haskins at 6. I mean I don't know how Lauletta is progressing but I don't see him as being better than Haskins.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-11-2019, 02:42 PM)Dimson Wrote:

I just can't see the Giants passing on Haskins at 6. I mean I don't know how Lauletta is progressing but I don't see him as being better than Haskins.

There's a narrative out there that they don't feel the urgency to replace Eli that many are assuming they feel. 
Who knows if it has merit, but I've seen a few former players harp on twitter that Eli will be starting in 2019 and QB isn't some huge priority for the giants.

(01-11-2019, 03:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 02:42 PM)Dimson Wrote: I just can't see the Giants passing on Haskins at 6. I mean I don't know how Lauletta is progressing but I don't see him as being better than Haskins.

There's a narrative out there that they don't feel the urgency to replace Eli that many are assuming they feel. 
Who knows if it has merit, but I've seen a few former players harp on twitter that Eli will be starting in 2019 and QB isn't some huge priority for the giants.

Even if they think he'll start next year, if they know they are a year or two away and if Haskins is as good as this board thinks he is, they'd be dumb to pass him up.

(01-11-2019, 03:33 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There's a narrative out there that they don't feel the urgency to replace Eli that many are assuming they feel. 

Even if they think he'll start next year, if they know they are a year or two away and if Haskins is as good as this board thinks he is, they'd be dumb to pass him up.

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 07:13 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-11-2019, 03:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There's a narrative out there that they don't feel the urgency to replace Eli that many are assuming they feel. 

Manning still had a pretty productive year. With Barkley now apart of their offense they also may be able to extend his arm a little bit more. Haskins is good. But a year or two from now you will see much, much better prospects to choose from. That's why I am now not sweating this draft class so much. Would I like to see a new QB and some fresh blood on the offense? Sure.

But knowing our history? Our luck? We'll land another Leftwich the year before we could have landed a Roethilsberger or Rivers. Or, we'll land another Gabbert or Bortles instead of a Luck or Goff, Wentz, Mahomes or Watson.

Jake Fromm and Trevor Lawrence alone would be better options. Hell, with Justin Herbert returning to Oregon for his senior season he could very easily improve his accuracy and maybe win a few big games and he would be considered a better prospect than Haskins. 

Another guy to watch for is Jacob Eason. He'll have one year in Washington to showcase his abilities that we saw back in 2016 while he was still a Bulldog. That kid has one hell of an arm. He could push to be a top prospect at the QB position in 2020's draft.

Herbert was already being dubbed the top QB prospect months ago before he decided to go back to school. So it's not like the Giants wouldn't have their pick of the litter in a few years from now. I think Haskins would be a good fit for us in Jacksonville. I just don't know how high his ceiling will be in the NFL. Those other guys I listed above could be better off. Plus you'll see other prospects coming in. 

We'll see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I do worry a little, tho, about Haskins throwing deep. He reminds me of Garrard in a few ways as a passer (not as a runner), and that is how Garrard would typically excel in the short-to-intermediate range unless he saw guys streaking open downfield. I do wonder how well Haskins is able to disect plays opening up deep downfield... for that matter can he even see well deep downfield... and if he's able to make accurate, contested deep throws. These are areas where Lock excels. 
'02

Personally - if I were GM - I'd be treating the giants as if they were competition for getting a QB.

I was just explaining why we're seeing mocks that have the Jags taking Haskins while the giants select a defender.

(01-11-2019, 07:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:33 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Even if they think he'll start next year, if they know they are a year or two away and if Haskins is as good as this board thinks he is, they'd be dumb to pass him up.

Manning still had a pretty productive year. With Barkley now apart of their offense they also may be able to extend his arm a little bit more. Haskins is good. But a year or two from now you will see much, much better prospects to choose from. That's why I am now not sweating this draft class so much. Would I like to see a new QB and some fresh blood on the offense? Sure.

But knowing our history? Our luck? We'll land another Leftwich the year before we could have landed a Roethilsberger or Rivers. Or, we'll land another Gabbert or Bortles instead of a Luck or Goff, Wentz, Mahomes or Watson.

Jake Fromm and Trevor Lawrence alone would be better options. Hell, with Justin Herbert returning to Oregon for his senior season he could very easily improve his accuracy and maybe win a few big games and he would be considered a better prospect than Haskins. 

Another guy to watch for is Jacob Eason. He'll have one year in Washington to showcase his abilities that we saw back in 2016 while he was still a Bulldog. That kid has one hell of an arm. He could push to be a top prospect at the QB position in 2020's draft.

Herbert was already being dubbed the top QB prospect months ago before he decided to go back to school. So it's not like the Giants wouldn't have their pick of the litter in a few years from now. I think Haskins would be a good fit for us in Jacksonville. I just don't know how high his ceiling will be in the NFL. Those other guys I listed above could be better off. Plus you'll see other prospects coming in. 

We'll see.
The only college QB you mentioned that’s better than Haskins is Lawerence. Lawerence is going #1 so unless the Jags are the absolute worst team in the league, they’re not getting him.

Haskins would have jumped Herbert anyway, IMO.

Definitely more likely they draft a QB early BUT Gettleman is an old school type of guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he gave Eli another year as the unquestioned starter.