Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bring Back Some Balance for Defenses

http://scores.espn.com/blog/nflnation/po...ying-field

The balance has swung too far in the direction of offenses, especially those with above average passers.  Jeff Legswold suggests the following changes:

1. Make illegal contact a five-yard penalty, not an automatic first down.
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]2. Expand the chuck zone to 10 yards.[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]3. Enforce downfield blocking rules.[/font][/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]4. Enforce offensive pass interference on pick plays.[/font][/font][/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]5. Add an eighth official to crew.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]I agree with all of those except #2.  The short passing game would be severely impacted and would swing the overall advantage too far in direction of the defenses.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]If I could choose only two of those, #3 and #4 would be my choices.  And I would add one he didn't list:  ENFORCE HOLDING on the offensive line!  If they would do these three things, we could have real football again.[/font][/font][/font][/font]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree and get rid of that stupid falling on the qb with your weight. Utter junk.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2018, 08:49 AM by SeldomRite.)

I agree. Just calling holding half the time it's blatant and enforcing the rules on all the down field offensive pass interference penalties that don't get called would go a long way. Also if Campbell's hit was a penalty then that rule needs to be changed. Especially for douchebags like Roethlisburger that won't just go down when the first guy gets a hand on them. Actually tackling a player, no matter the position, should never be a penalty.

(11-22-2018, 10:57 PM)surfon Wrote: I agree and get rid of that stupid falling on the qb with your weight.  Utter junk.

Yep, the Aaron's Collarbone Rule needs to go.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yeah. Just what the nfl needs. Another dumb [BLEEP] zebra on the field.

Crazy how much the game favors the offense now and how bad our offense is regardless

The pick plays [BLEEP] needs to be called every time it's seen. That's been my biggest complaint. And I like the 5 yard penalty being enforced only on illegal contact. Defenses are punished enough. Giving them an automatic first down is bull [BLEEP].
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I agree. This "track-meet, Arena league, Madden style" type of league where offenses go up and down the field at will is really starting to turn me off from the game. (Well, okay, most offenses that have competent O-lines, WRs, and QBs).

Watching the Chiefs vs Rams last week was awful (to me). Seeing the Saints score like an Arena team is just boring as hell. And, the Superbowl last year where each team's offense scored just about every time they had the ball was extremely boring.

It's almost to the point where you don't even have to watch most of the game. Just tune in for the last 4:00-5:00 min left in the game to see if the last team to have the ball either scores to win or tie.

Even still, until recently the defenses still had a way to affect the game if they had a decent pass rush or blitzing schemes. But now, O-line can hold almost at will and a defensive player can barely even touch a QB if they happen to get through a hold with some pressure. This REALLY SUCKS.

** I'm not looking forward to a Superbowl this year with both teams just scoring at will yet again.
Chiefs vs Saints
Chiefs vs Rams
Pats vs Saints
Pats vs Rams
Maybe even Pitt gets through, idk.

If the Superbowl is another video-game type of show, I'll likely just turn it off.

Bad timing on the article; right after the NFL got their perfect game on MNF (Rams vs Chiefs).

It sucks but the NFL wants Big 12 type football.

(11-26-2018, 11:49 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Bad timing on the article; right after the NFL got their perfect game on MNF (Rams vs Chiefs).

It sucks but the NFL wants Big 12 type football.

And their ratings will continue to spiral.

It's a dog eat dog world and this puppy is ready to be cooked.

Too bad this league cares about the fantasy football league fans more than they do about a complete game in which a great offense has to contend with a terrifying, stymying defense.

Those days are most likely gone. Kinda makes me appreciate what the Jags did last year even more, knowing we may very well never see that again. It was like a glimpse of the old days for a little while there.

This is kinda why i'm more of a hockey fan than I am football fan now. In the NHL scoring isn't like it was back in the ridiculous days of Gretzky; now goalies and defensive systems have made it difficult for people score like they did in the 80's. You have to work that much harder to score now.

(11-23-2018, 08:49 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I agree. Just calling holding half the time it's blatant and enforcing the rules on all the down field offensive pass interference penalties that don't get called would go a long way. Also if Campbell's hit was a penalty then that rule needs to be changed. Especially for douchebags like Roethlisburger that won't just go down when the first guy gets a hand on them. Actually tackling a player, no matter the position, should never be a penalty.

And he got fined for it.  Unreal.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Consider this: You had not one but TWO (2) QBs who played complete games and had ONE (1) incompletion.

Also consider you have two QBs (Rodgers, Brees) who have thrown over 250 passes, have 20+ TDs and have 2 INTs or less.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-20-2018, 12:58 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: http://scores.espn.com/blog/nflnation/po...ying-field

The balance has swung too far in the direction of offenses, especially those with above average passers.  Jeff Legswold suggests the following changes:

1. Make illegal contact a five-yard penalty, not an automatic first down.
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]2. Expand the chuck zone to 10 yards.[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]3. Enforce downfield blocking rules.[/font][/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]4. Enforce offensive pass interference on pick plays.[/font][/font][/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]5. Add an eighth official to crew.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]I agree with all of those except #2.  The short passing game would be severely impacted and would swing the overall advantage too far in direction of the defenses.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]If I could choose only two of those, #3 and #4 would be my choices.  And I would add one he didn't list:  ENFORCE HOLDING on the offensive line!  If they would do these three things, we could have real football again.[/font][/font][/font][/font]
Yeah. They need to balance it back out some. The pendulum has swung far to wide to the offensive side and most of those suggestions are good ones.

(11-26-2018, 02:32 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 08:49 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I agree. Just calling holding half the time it's blatant and enforcing the rules on all the down field offensive pass interference penalties that don't get called would go a long way. Also if Campbell's hit was a penalty then that rule needs to be changed. Especially for douchebags like Roethlisburger that won't just go down when the first guy gets a hand on them. Actually tackling a player, no matter the position, should never be a penalty.

And he got fined for it.  Unreal.

Next time he faces the Steelers I hope he goes helmet to helmet on his earhole even if it's a late hit. Might as well get the money's worth.

Make full-game designation of the quarterback. Either he is "run eligible" or he is not. "Run eligible" QBs can be taxkled the same as any other ball carrier without special enforcement of recent QB only rules. Non "run eligible" QBs must play solely from behind the line of scrimmage, they are not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage as a ball carrier, if so a personal foul. The QB need only be touched by two hands of any defender to be ruled down.

The designation must be made early enough in the week to allow defensive preparation. The designation is a full game designation, it cannot be changed in game, even in the case of a QB change.
Signature goes here.

Fix the Roughing the Passer issues. Go back to what we had until you get it right, or just go back and leave it.

Defensive PI only a max of 15 yards, not a spot foul. We saw first hand in the AFCCG the game changing call that is.