Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I hate to agree, but.....

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 07:57 AM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

The video posted is spot on. I use to defend the decision to extend Bortles but ultimately the people telling me that it was a bad idea were totally right. We should have just drafted a young BU QB in case Bortles regresses/doesnt improve, we didnt do that and it will haunt us for a while. We didnt get any playmakers on offense, we got some outcasts from other teams and hoped that somehow they would improve (with Bortles under Center, how crazy is that). Of course that didnt work out, and its not hard to see why. We put loads of money into our Line that now consists of a whole lot of broken bodies.
Ultimately, the Jaguars made bad decisions at every turn, and while we were all quite willing to fantasize about how good BB5, ASJ, Moncrief, Cole and our line could be, it was complete unwarranted, because most of these players are average at best. We suck on offense and our defense cant bail us out like last year, eventhough they are performing pretty decently in terms of statistics. Our offense just wasnt able to stay on the field in key moments and had too many 3 and outs.
In order to turn this around, we need to drastically restructure this offense (incl. coaching), starting with a QB, and a fairly creative OC that doesnt just run the football 90% of the time. Then we need to see if we can grab some decent WRs and a TE. Basically the whole offense. At this point I hope we tank unintentionally and Marrone is out and we just reset everything.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-27-2018, 02:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The video was a harsh assessment, but I can’t disagree with anything said.

They have consistently bashed the Jags and Bortles.  And they almost always bring up that "Kap can't find a job".  So they have an agenda there.  But their assessment about the current state of the team and what we should have done over the last two years isn't wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(11-27-2018, 04:04 PM)Kane Wrote: "Can't" means unable not unwilling (I'm at work)

I just scoff at the idea that anyone sports talking on the internet but bagging groceries, or writing for a fan blog, or Uber driving for a living is actually smarter at scouting, planning, and running an NFL team than the guys currently holding those positions.

That is all.
Like I said before, I wasn't disagreeing with any opinion or statement in the video, I was disagreeing with Stroud's assessment that these youtubers are "smarter" than actual scouts.
These aren't Youtubers.  It's Hall of Fame WR Chris Carter and his show.  CC has been an analyst for several years.  He has a show on Fox Sports called First Things First.  So he and Nick Wright aren't nobodies, fans in their mothers' basements or something.  That doesn't mean they're always right, either.  But they are better than your average sports talk show.
And if you compare the collective wisdom of former NFLers who are analysts across the networks with what has been produced by Dave Caldwell and his staff on 1st and 2nd round picks, the analysts are better.
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 09:09 AM by jagherd.)

(11-27-2018, 12:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 12:53 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Then the Jags will have lost 8 games in a row. Who cares?

There’s no harm in trying something new when the season is over.

I'm just disagreeing with the "too soon" part like they're automatically better now that Bortles isn't playing. We don't and won't know that for a while yet.

I strongly believe that it was overdue for the coaches to do "something" about Bortles. Yes, the injuries and terrible WRs play a huge part in the offensive failures, but they had to do something. 

That said, I think it's gonna look real ugly this week and possibly next. I don't think the Jags will look "better" with Kessler. It's almost impossible.

- Hackett is gone. What does that mean about the play book? Are they rolling with the same system or a completely new one to learn right away?
- There are even more injuries on the O-Line after the Bills game
-  Fournette is OUT. What a freaking bonehead to get suspended for fighting when he wasn't even on the field for the play! 

I hope the Jags look better with Kessler. But, man, I bet it gets ugly.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM by jaguarmvp.)

(11-27-2018, 04:04 PM)Kane Wrote: I just scoff at the idea that anyone sports talking on the internet but bagging groceries, or writing for a fan blog, or Uber driving for a living is actually smarter at scouting, planning, and running an NFL team than the guys currently holding those positions.
Really?
JDR, Gene Smith, our current font office, the browns organization, the bengals, jerry jones? etc...
There are tons of people who run or lead organizations who appear smart but are not.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 10:34 AM by old_man.)

I agree some, but after last season. You try to repeat, every facet of life we try to repeat the same thing that had success.

(11-28-2018, 09:04 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:04 PM)Kane Wrote: "Can't" means unable not unwilling (I'm at work)

I just scoff at the idea that anyone sports talking on the internet but bagging groceries, or writing for a fan blog, or Uber driving for a living is actually smarter at scouting, planning, and running an NFL team than the guys currently holding those positions.

That is all.
Like I said before, I wasn't disagreeing with any opinion or statement in the video, I was disagreeing with Stroud's assessment that these youtubers are "smarter" than actual scouts.
These aren't Youtubers.  It's Hall of Fame WR Chris Carter and his show.  CC has been an analyst for several years.  He has a show on Fox Sports called First Things First.  So he and Nick Wright aren't nobodies, fans in their mothers' basements or something.  That doesn't mean they're always right, either.  But they are better than your average sports talk show.
And if you compare the collective wisdom of former NFLers who are analysts across the networks with what has been produced by Dave Caldwell and his staff on 1st and 2nd round picks, the analysts are better.

MEH.  Chris Carter,  has always hated the Jags....I take what he says with a grain of salt.

No one talks about the injuries on the Oline, Wr, TE, and RB.  That is 75% of the offense.

That IS the issue we have lost so many games.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-27-2018, 03:26 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: he played on a 0-16 team last season. hes not better then bortles. at this time though  no qb could win a game for the jags not why doug is HC. he destroyed the team just like he did in bufflo.

oh yes our back up qb has a 0-8 record. has never won a game. what makes people think hes better then bortles?  

Jags need a new HC offensseive line depth,and a Raiseing qb . we could've had watson. Texans will win a SB before jags will. in fact its no doubt the browns will win a SB before jags do,they have a superstar qb with mayfield.

Kessler isn't better than Bortles.

What in the hell were you trying to say with the underlined? Rising? Just asking.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-28-2018, 11:09 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 03:26 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: he played on a 0-16 team last season. hes not better then bortles. at this time though  no qb could win a game for the jags not why doug is HC. he destroyed the team just like he did in bufflo.

oh yes our back up qb has a 0-8 record. has never won a game. what makes people think hes better then bortles?  

Jags need a new HC offensseive line depth,and a Raiseing qb . we could've had watson. Texans will win a SB before jags will. in fact its no doubt the browns will win a SB before jags do,they have a superstar qb with mayfield.

What in the hell were you trying to say with the underlined? Rising? Just asking.
Guess we will find out soon enough.

These media analysts are only right when its aready glaringly obvious

(11-28-2018, 12:21 PM)jaglyn Wrote: These media analysts are only right when its aready glaringly obvious

To be fair most have been saying Bortles stinks for years now.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The video was spot on.And the various extensions were a mistake also. New contract for Blake, coaching staff, and I think Dave also.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM by old_man.)

(11-28-2018, 01:55 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 12:21 PM)jaglyn Wrote: These media analysts are only right when its aready glaringly obvious

To be fair most have been saying Bortles stinks for years now.

I still believe he was better than Dak Prescott.

Except they started calling designed runs and actually went out and signed a WR that can catch and run.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:07 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Because the NFL, as a whole, is a joke. It's not even fun to watch. I miss football of my youth - players actually HATED each other. There was no hugging on the damn football field. They WANTED to hurt eachother.

Now? It's just a joke that all the players are in on... and the fans are the ones being laughed at.
Bahahaha

"Back in my day we walked up hill both ways."

Times change dude. It's a sport and should be treated as such. These guys don't need to hate each other for people to enjoy it. You don't think Lebron would still dominate in the 80's? Somehow Julio Jones would be bad if he played back in the 70's? Times have changed and you either change with it or get left behind. Football will proceed to rake in the money without you.

I think LT would have broken Tom Brady in half.

(11-28-2018, 03:28 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bahahaha

"Back in my day we walked up hill both ways."

Times change dude. It's a sport and should be treated as such. These guys don't need to hate each other for people to enjoy it. You don't think Lebron would still dominate in the 80's? Somehow Julio Jones would be bad if he played back in the 70's? Times have changed and you either change with it or get left behind. Football will proceed to rake in the money without you.

I think LT would have broken Tom Brady in half.
Probably not but ok.

(11-28-2018, 09:04 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:

That is all.

So a radio host/tv personality and Cris Carter can run a franchise now?
Well, why haven't they been given jobs?

Cris Carter could probably run a fall guy convention.
Maybe he could coach up WRs...

but run a front office?
He might as well just be some you tuber. lol

I'm not saying Caldwell has done an A+ job and Gene Smith was some of the worst GM'ing I've ever seen (even if I was blind to it at first).
But I'd still hire those guys over Cris Carter and Nick whoever to run a franchise.

I'm not calling Bart Scott to be my scout just because he always hated Blake Bortles.
Shannon Sharpe isn't getting a job as a general manger just because horse face can criticize a QB and ends up he was right. 
A bunch of tool bags on this message board always hated Blake, doesn't make them qualified to run a team over Dave frickin Caldwell lmao

(11-28-2018, 03:55 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 09:04 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: These aren't Youtubers.  It's Hall of Fame WR Chris Carter and his show.  CC has been an analyst for several years.  He has a show on Fox Sports called First Things First.  So he and Nick Wright aren't nobodies, fans in their mothers' basements or something.  That doesn't mean they're always right, either.  But they are better than your average sports talk show.

So a radio host/tv personality and Cris Carter can run a franchise now?
Well, why haven't they been given jobs?

Cris Carter could probably run a fall guy convention.
Maybe he could coach up WRs...

but run a front office?
He might as well just be some you tuber. lol

I'm not saying Caldwell has done an A+ job and Gene Smith was some of the worst GM'ing I've ever seen (even if I was blind to it at first).
But I'd still hire those guys over Cris Carter and Nick whoever to run a franchise.

I'm not calling Bart Scott to be my scout just because he always hated Blake Bortles.
Shannon Sharpe isn't getting a job as a general manger just because horse face can criticize a QB and ends up he was right. 
A bunch of tool bags on this message board always hated Blake, doesn't make them qualified to run a team over Dave frickin Caldwell lmao

I think smart NFL players are better at spotting talent than you're giving them credit for.  They know more than you and I.  And they know as much as NFL front office types regarding talent and what it takes to actually play.

In terms of drafting talented players at the appropriate spots in the top rounds of the draft, Dave Caldwell has blown it far more than he's hit on it.  The best analysts across the sports media could do better.  And their rankings and analysis have shown it.  So ridicule it because it's your go to tactic.  But it is what it is.  If you're an NFL front office pro, how do you mess us picking first and second round picks when TV analysts or Joe Sixpack with internet info can do it as well as or better than you can with all the tools and experience at your disposal as a professional??

And it's not like DC hasn't done well in the rest of the draft and college free agency.  He has.  But, yeah.  I might want him running my front office.  But I definitely want him to get out of his own head so he can see the obvious that every other pro associated with the NFL can in regards to top tier talent and how it intersects with need.
Fix the O-Line!

(11-28-2018, 11:41 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I think smart NFL players are better at spotting talent than you're giving them credit for.

@But we're talking about Cris Carter here.@

(11-28-2018, 11:09 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:

I wasn't saying hes better. i was askig why others think hes better then bortles when hes never won a game as a starter.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-30-2018, 08:38 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:09 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Kessler isn't better than Bortles.

I wasn't saying hes better. i was askig why others think hes better then bortles when hes never won a game as a starter.

You could make the argument that Kessler's more accurate and has a quicker release and throws a better spiral. He also seems to have the ability to make quicker decisions. So I guess people say he's better using the "eyeball test" rather than the win-loss record. He probably is a little better from a pure passing standpoint. Whether or not that makes a difference in the bottom line is what we'll find out over the next few weeks.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-30-2018, 08:46 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 08:38 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I wasn't saying hes better. i was askig why others think hes better then bortles when hes never won a game as a starter.

You could make the argument that Kessler's more accurate and has a quicker release and throws a better spiral. He also seems to have the ability to make quicker decisions. So I guess people say he's better using the "eyeball test" rather than the win-loss record. He probably is a little better from a pure passing standpoint. Whether or not that makes a difference in the bottom line is what we'll find out over the next few weeks.

Facts.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend