Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For what it’s worth, Coughlin didn’t want him(speculation)

Anyone realize that Bortles struggled this season after all of the injuries began to pile up? We knew he wasn't a great QB but he got us to the AFCC game last year with minimal injuries.

Honestly, I don't think Blake is as bad as fans make him out to be. He just has nothing now and he isn't a great QB.

For those who think Kessler will come in and turn the league on its ear will be sadly disappointed. We still have no Oline and one pass catcher.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 10:29 AM by old_man.)

Agreed. He played great in the playoffs and good starting the season.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-27-2018, 10:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 07:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m talking about Bortles. I remember when Coughlin came in, he said something along the lines of Bortles not being his guy. It’s almost like he was talked into it when the draft came up.

He should have went with his gut. A lot of talks of trying to get Eli to come along with Coughlin but nothing ever came of it.

The number of posts by folks claiming to know Coughlin's mind on Bortles, Marrone, Hackett etc is pretty comical. 
If you have a real quote - post it with a link. Otherwise - I think you're full of it. 

Coughlin never said anything even remotely distancing himself from Blake Bortles. If anything it was the opposite.

Haven't seen you post in awhile figured you banned yourself. WB

For what it’s worth, Coughlin didn’t want ......

Injuries to 4 Olineman, 2 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WR....

About 20% of the starting roster injured.. just saying

Coughlin’s to blame. What’s the point of him there with the final call if he can’t make the final call? Wanna give him all credit last year now make excuses for his blunders this one. No sir.

(11-28-2018, 10:39 AM)old_man Wrote: For what it’s worth, Coughlin didn’t want ......

But he probably wanted a QB that can throw a 4 yard spiral. Thats where the bar is set, and Bortles cant pass it(pun intended).

(11-27-2018, 09:18 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:03 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Didn't someone say he loved Watson too..

Prisco said it and he’s usually pretty accurate.

Lol ... when we had Garrard, Prisco kept saying we needed Chad Henne out of Miami.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 11:06 AM by Jay Carter 904.)

(11-28-2018, 10:39 AM)old_man Wrote: For what it’s worth, Coughlin didn’t want ......

Exactly.

Look at the difference from last year to this year.

Injuries.
#iamlegend

(11-28-2018, 11:05 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:

Exactly.

1. Injuries.
2. Lack of WR playmakers.

Look at the similarities.

1. We still dont have a starting QB(year 5 now). Actually if you go back to Henne and Gabbert, its like a solid decade of not having a starting QB. Jesus christ ive made myself sad.

(11-28-2018, 11:09 AM)TearExtractor Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:05 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Exactly.

1. Injuries.
2. Lack of WR playmakers.

Look at the similarities.

1. We still dont have a starting QB(year 5 now). Actually if you go back to Henne and Gabbert, its like a solid decade of not having a starting QB. Jesus christ ive made myself sad.

The city was ok if not high on Blake for going toe to toe with big ben. Then we were left guessing when Hackett didn't trust him in the Pats game.

Henne has been trash his whole career and has gotten by cause he had one 400+ yard game vs the Pats when he played for the Fins.

Gabbert, once again, wasn't as bad as fans made him out to be. The media killed Gabbert. They made an assessment and then sense the city is mindless ESPN drones, they ran him out as well. He didn't have good coaching. He didn't have the greatest team around him. He never progressed from college until he left Jax. Thank Del Rio for that non-development.

Honestly, I think Blake would have been a better QB if he was developed correctly. Being drafted into that Gus Bus regime really hurt him then he got Alex Smith-ed by getting OC after OC.
#iamlegend

Oh God, we're back to the "all the right moves are Gene Smiths actions and all the wrong moves are a result of Shack Harris' decisions"

(11-28-2018, 11:05 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:

Exactly.

Injuries.
Blake is literally the exact same QB this year that he was last year. An inaccurate QB who can't elevate the play of the players around him. The difference is that the defense isn't bailing him out every game. You can't expect 55 sacks and 7 defensive TDs each season. A lot of times, turnovers and touchdowns from the defense are luck. One bounce here or there can change from season to season. Everyone knew the defense would regress because last season isn't sustainable.

In the first 4 games, he had 2 terrible games and 2 good games. Injuries happen to every single team (except our defense last year which isn't sustainable) but this year, when they actually asked Blake to help lead a team (which a franchise QB is supposed to do) he can't do it. How many games in a row did he help put up zero in the first half? 4?

If you keep making excuses for poor QB play, you end up signing Bortles to an extension. Which clearly was the wrong move.

(11-28-2018, 11:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:05 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Exactly.

Injuries.
Blake is literally the exact same QB this year that he was last year. An inaccurate QB who can't elevate the play of the players around him. The difference is that the defense isn't bailing him out every game. You can't expect 55 sacks and 7 defensive TDs each season. A lot of times, turnovers and touchdowns from the defense are luck. One bounce here or there can change from season to season. Everyone knew the defense would regress because last season isn't sustainable.

In the first 4 games, he had 2 terrible games and 2 good games. Injuries happen to every single team (except our defense last year which isn't sustainable) but this year, when they actually asked Blake to help lead a team (which a franchise QB is supposed to do) he can't do it. How many games in a row did he help put up zero in the first half? 4?

If you keep making excuses for poor QB play, you end up signing Bortles to an extension. Which clearly was the wrong move.

Lol. U really believe what you just posted?

I seriously hate Blake so much that you have never seen anything positive from him. Interesting actually. I want to go in the old forum and see how you posted about Garrard, or Gabbert, or Henne, or any of the others.
#iamlegend

(11-28-2018, 05:38 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 10:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The number of posts by folks claiming to know Coughlin's mind on Bortles, Marrone, Hackett etc is pretty comical. 
If you have a real quote - post it with a link. Otherwise - I think you're full of it. 

Coughlin never said anything even remotely distancing himself from Blake Bortles. If anything it was the opposite.

Dude what in the blue hell are you talking about. Do you ever tune into Jags Monday/Happy Hour? .... Boselli knows Coughlin more than any of us. He literally breaks down how this is Coughlins ship.... Coughlin built this... we are sleeping in it. PERIOD. The fact that we have to have an argument between GM#1 and GM#2 for who is  QB... is... ABSURD!!! This is a clown fest! COUGHLIN is the root!

I can't tell if you're just confused (again) or unwittingly agreeing with me. 

Despite whatever Boselli's speculations may be, everything I've seen from Coughlin's mouth has been supportive of Bortles since the moment TC arrived, (and it continues to be from what I read of his recent presser.)
  I am implying that TC is as much to blame as anyone in retaining him and I've seen nothing but bogus claims that TC didn't want Bortles. I've seen zero real info to prove TC did anything to thwart keeping and extending Bortles.  

Coughlin changing course now on the QB (though he and Marrone said it was Marrone's call) doesn't alter the fact that Coughlin supported Bortles from the beginning enough to not implement a change. 

I think it's silly for folks to suddenly try to exonerate TC from the Bortles extension. He had the power to alter that and he didn't do it.

This is from Coughlin two days ago:
“He was a tremendous threat as a runner, as well as a quarterback. We felt like we would be able to go forth, continue to develop our younger players, come back and have an outstanding season. It hasn’t worked.”

(11-27-2018, 07:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m talking about Bortles. I remember when Coughlin came in, he said something along the lines of Bortles not being his guy. It’s almost like he was talked into it when the draft came up.

He should have went with his gut. A lot of talks of trying to get Eli to come along with Coughlin but nothing ever came of it.

That just makes it more of his fault then. He's the top guy other than Mr. Khan. If he wasn't his guy, they shouldn't have went with him. He caved because he was new to everything going on. He needs to take full control going forward.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(11-28-2018, 11:41 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Blake is literally the exact same QB this year that he was last year. An inaccurate QB who can't elevate the play of the players around him. The difference is that the defense isn't bailing him out every game. You can't expect 55 sacks and 7 defensive TDs each season. A lot of times, turnovers and touchdowns from the defense are luck. One bounce here or there can change from season to season. Everyone knew the defense would regress because last season isn't sustainable.

Lol. U really believe what you just posted?

I seriously hate Blake so much that you have never seen anything positive from him. Interesting actually. I want to go in the old forum and see how you posted about Garrard, or Gabbert, or Henne, or any of the others.
You don't have to look. I'll tell you.

Garrard was a good game manager and I loved Leftwich so I was upset when Garrard took over. Loved that Garrard led them to a playoff win at Pittsburgh but didn't think he deserved the big contract. Loved Gabbert coming out because he was the #1 QB on a lot of boards but the kid was terrible so I said to put in Henne because it couldn't get worse. Very similar to the situation we have here now. No one is claiming Kessler is some savior but let's just see what the kid has. There is nothing to lose here. If he sucks, well we have already lost 7 in a row so what's 8? If he's better, then maybe you have a bridge for next year after they hopefully draft a young QB.

Also, what point did I make that you have issue with? Go look at Blakes numbers from last year. They're identical. How many games last year did you say Blake really led them to victory? Baltimore and Seattle? Blake had good numbers in other games but if you look at it, the defense held them to 10 points or less. Even in the Pitt playoff game he threw for 214 on 26 attempts with 1 TD. Did he really "lead" them to victory?

I appreciate Blake because he's a good guy and he's held up to criticism very well. But the QB position is the most important position and everything has a trickle down effect from it.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 12:49 PM by old_man.)

Blake made all the plays to help win the Pittsburgh game. Denying that is like denying that Leftwich was better than Garrard, which you probably believed that at the time as well.

(11-28-2018, 12:17 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote:

That just makes it more of his fault then. He's the top guy other than Mr. Khan. If he wasn't his guy, they shouldn't have went with him. He caved because he was new to everything going on. He needs to take full control going forward.

He didn't cave.  Open your eyes,  when you are one play from the Super Bowl.  You try the same thing that got you there...Don't try to fool yourself.

(11-28-2018, 12:48 PM)old_man Wrote: Blake made all the plays to help win the Pittsburgh game.  Denying that is like denying that Leftwich was better than Garrard,  which you probably believed that at the time as well.

(11-28-2018, 12:17 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: That just makes it more of his fault then. He's the top guy other than Mr. Khan. If he wasn't his guy, they shouldn't have went with him. He caved because he was new to everything going on. He needs to take full control going forward.

He didn't cave.  Open your eyes,  when you are one play from the Super Bowl.  You try the same thing that got you there...Don't try to fool yourself.

I disagree. You don't try to do the same thing, you get better because of all the other teams are doing the same thing. We knew what we had in QB and we all tried to make ourselves think we could get by with him. We doubled down on an inferior QB (not inferior person or talent, because Blake's a good guy and has some talent, just not what it takes to be an NFL QB) and now we are paying the price. Sure the injuries hurt us tremendously and if that didn't happen to the severity, we probably would be in a much better situation. But we wouldn't make it back or past where we were last year. We got lucky last year. TC is as much to blame for where we are as anyone and he needs to own up to it and make it better. We all still have faith in him, but he has put this team in a difficult situation. He's the #2 man and holds the #2 power.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM by old_man.)

How would our season progressed with less injuries........ No team fairs well with near 40% injuries on the Offensive side of the ball.

Have you ever played any level of football before besides maybe Madden? Losing 1 or 2 starters is tough. But multiple players at more than one position is damn near impossible.

(11-28-2018, 03:00 PM)old_man Wrote: How would our season progressed with less injuries........ No team fairs well with near 40% injuries on the Offensive side of the ball.

Have you ever played any level of football before besides maybe Madden?  Losing 1 or 2 starters is tough.  But multiple players at more than one position is damn near impossible.

If you are addressing me, please re-read what I said about the injuries..... Regardless of the injuries, TC is the man in charge and the man in charge is responsible for all of this. Just as much as Caldwell and Marrone are; if not more. He had final say on the last batch of draft picks and Blake's extension. He decided to stand pat. Injuries or no injuries, TC, Caldwell, and Marrone made the wrong decisions that will now make a longer gap in getting back to where we want to be. We might have to keep Blake another year because of the cap hit. It's not a deep QB draft and there's no real answer in free agency. Plus we are going to have to get rid of some defensive players to make more cap space. We all love TC for what he's done for the team in the past and for Jville. But there's no shade for responsibility. He holds it too.