Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For what it’s worth, Coughlin didn’t want him(speculation)

(11-28-2018, 12:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:41 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Lol. U really believe what you just posted?

I seriously hate Blake so much that you have never seen anything positive from him. Interesting actually. I want to go in the old forum and see how you posted about Garrard, or Gabbert, or Henne, or any of the others.
You don't have to look. I'll tell you.

Garrard was a good game manager and I loved Leftwich so I was upset when Garrard took over. Loved that Garrard led them to a playoff win at Pittsburgh but didn't think he deserved the big contract. Loved Gabbert coming out because he was the #1 QB on a lot of boards but the kid was terrible so I said to put in Henne because it couldn't get worse. Very similar to the situation we have here now. No one is claiming Kessler is some savior but let's just see what the kid has. There is nothing to lose here. If he sucks, well we have already lost 7 in a row so what's 8? If he's better, then maybe you have a bridge for next year after they hopefully draft a young QB.

Also, what point did I make that you have issue with? Go look at Blakes numbers from last year. They're identical. How many games last year did you say Blake really led them to victory? Baltimore and Seattle? Blake had good numbers in other games but if you look at it, the defense held them to 10 points or less. Even in the Pitt playoff game he threw for 214 on 26 attempts with 1 TD. Did he really "lead" them to victory?

I appreciate Blake because he's a good guy and he's held up to criticism very well. But the QB position is the most important position and everything has a trickle down effect from it.

Right.
What Blake offers is more than enough when the run game and the defense are both humming.
That's more than you can say about most replacement QB's.  Most guys on the bench in the NFL today will throw more interceptions, scramble for fewer yards, and suffer more injuries when things go wrong.
Blake is easily one of the top 32 starters in the league.  You have to pay him starter money - not so much that it hurts your cap of course, but enough.
The Jags should keep an eye out for opportunities to upgrade, but they don't need to be running Blake out of town.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Anyone got a link or actual proof Coughlin didn't want Bortles?

I remember the rumors... but I don't remember any proof.
We certainly didn't see it in his first draft as VP nor during his second off season when Bortles was extended.

Weird way of showing it.

Is it possible however that Coughlin felt the team should make a change (which gets leaked as "does not like Blake") and was convinced by Doug and Dave that they could fix him?
So he said "OK we'll try it your way at first" then the team over-achieved with Blake at QB and Tom foolishly was fooled as well (as evidenced by his recent interview doubling down on how they approached the draft) and signed off on the extension.

And NOW perhaps, or probably, to save his own [BLEEP] he will clean house and actually get his own reset.

That is just how it all feels to me.
We'll see I suppose.

(11-28-2018, 03:48 PM)Kane Wrote: Anyone got a link or actual proof Coughlin didn't want Bortles?

No. Because there is none.

Reluctantly or not, Coughlin signed up for a ride on the Bortles rollercoaster and he lost. He had a choice.

(11-28-2018, 08:52 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 10:38 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jim Miller or Steve Matthews??

Yeah the Bortles experiment is over. Watson should have been the pick or Mahomes. Wow Mahomes would have put this franchise is the playoffs for the next 15 years just like Tom Brady allows the Pats to trade all of those first round picks away for future picks.

When you have an elite QB, you can just put anybody out there and make the playoffs.

You mean kinda like Rogers this year?

hehe
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-28-2018, 04:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 03:48 PM)Kane Wrote: Anyone got a link or actual proof Coughlin didn't want Bortles?

No. Because there is none.

Reluctantly or not, Coughlin signed up for a ride on the Bortles rollercoaster and he lost. He had a choice.

You about summed up my TLDR post right here.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Yesterday TC was quoted as saying Blake was one whistle from the Starting ACF SuperBowl QB . Sounds like he was and might still be behind Blake. Maybe he reminds him of Eli a average to below average QB but when in the post season or really big game comes out to play.

(11-28-2018, 04:41 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Yesterday TC was quoted as saying Blake was one whistle from the Starting ACF SuperBowl QB . Sounds like he was and might still be behind Blake. Maybe he reminds him of Eli a average to below average QB but when in the post season or really big game comes out to play.
He said the team was 1 whistle away. 

Really big game he comes out to play? Buffalo playoff game? Pitt game where he threw for 214 and 1 TD?

(11-28-2018, 04:41 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Yesterday TC was quoted as saying Blake was one whistle from the Starting ACF SuperBowl QB . Sounds like he was and might still be behind Blake. Maybe he reminds him of Eli a average to below average QB but when in the post season or really big game comes out to play.

Let's go ahead and get a full picture on that:

https://twitter.com/1010XLAG/status/1067549960156192768

https://twitter.com/1010XLAG/status/1067561995807977477

It sure seems like  he's explaining why they extended him in the offseason and then admitting it was a mistake.

(11-28-2018, 04:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Let's go ahead and get a full picture on that:

https://twitter.com/1010XLAG/status/1067549960156192768

https://twitter.com/1010XLAG/status/1067561995807977477

It sure seems like  he's explaining why they extended him in the offseason and then admitting it was a mistake.

I guess it is all in the interpretation to me it seems like they chose to contiue with what they had and develope the younger players (Cole, Dede, Fowler, 4nett and so on) and it didnt work, not that it was a mistake. But again its how you interpret it.

Fellas. Coughlin is not going to publicly state negative statements about a QB he signed off on extending. 

You know how much of a jack [BLEEP] he AND the organization would look like if he came out and said something like Bottles was never my guy I was hoodwinked?

He is protecting the organization with these statements.

(11-28-2018, 05:44 PM)Senor Fanta stico Wrote: Fellas. Coughlin is not going to publicly state negative statements about a QB he signed off on extending. 

You know how much of a jack [BLEEP] he AND the organization would look like if he came out and said something like Bottles was never my guy I was hoodwinked?

Of course he's not going to put a black eye on it and say "he wasn't my guy."  
But if he wasn't his guy then he royally screwed the pooch by not doing something about it at the time. 

So - like it or not - Bortles was enough of "Coughlin's guy" to garner an extension.

It's easy to speculate. Sure it's a bummer that we passed on guys like Goff, Wentz, Mahomes and Watson. But that's what happens when you're invested in a QB already from just 2 - 3 years prior to these possibilities. It's a matter of politics and business. It's rare you see a General Manager double dip at the QB position with 1st RD picks within a few years of each other.

It's a lot harder to evaluate that position more than people think or realize. I don't disagree with the frustrations around here though. But it's hard to say really if those guys listed above would have had success here in this offense. Shannon Sharpe said it best the day after that crazy MNF Shoot Out about Goff. "Jeff Fisher had everybody thinking Jared Goff was a bust."

Mahomes may not be a good fit here in Jacksonville in Hackett's system. Same can be said for everybody else. It's easy to sit here and say those things. But it's more complicated than that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-28-2018, 05:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 05:44 PM)Senor Fanta stico Wrote: Fellas. Coughlin is not going to publicly state negative statements about a QB he signed off on extending. 

Of course he's not going to put a black eye on it and say "he wasn't my guy."  
But if he wasn't his guy then he royally screwed the pooch by not doing something about it at the time. 

So - like it or not - Bortles was enough of "Coughlin's guy" to garner an extension.

Pretty much!

(11-28-2018, 10:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 09:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: Prisco said it and he’s usually pretty accurate.

Lol ... when we had Garrard, Prisco kept saying we needed Chad Henne out of Miami.

I’m talking about his “sources” not opinion pieces. Prisco had it out for Garrard since day 1 and I Nefertiti’s understood why.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-27-2018, 09:26 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Bortles had a span from late last season until the new england game of this year where he looked good.  Then the wheels fell off.  The Bortles experiment is over.

If you watch last game it was quite evident that Blake regressed to his baseball windup that slows his release and destroys his deep ball accuracy. It's his natural way of passing the ball and all the king's man can't get his arm back up by his shoulder again. He just can't maintain the corrections he gets in quarterback camp in the offseason. I have great respect for him as a man, his character is on the highest level and it is sad to see such a good young man fail at his position. As long as he has been on this team he never through anyone under the bus, never used injuries as an excuse and always took the blame for the lack of team success. Good luck in the future I hope you find success in your next endeavor whatever path the future holds for you.