Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College QBs 2018 Season/2019 Draft

If this draft had a couple Luck, Watson, Mayfield, etc... level players, I wonder if any of these guys would go in the 1st round. But desperate teams have to take what they can.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Haskins. Only starting one year has me concerned, but you gotta love the comp%. Especially playing in a top level conference. Had a "mini-lull" mid season but finished super strong when it mattered most. Looks bigger than listed and has the arm.

Probably a close 2nd on Will Grier. Also put up big time stats and has done it for two years. His arm is good enough but he does look like he falls back on throws at time. And has a good enough arm but obviously not elite. If he was 6'4, 230, and had a slightly better arm, I think he'd be a sure fire top 10 pick.

If you told me I had to use our 1st rounder to get Haskins but could get Grier in the 2nd, I think I'd do the latter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-16-2018, 06:05 PM)rfc17 Wrote: If this draft had a couple Luck, Watson, Mayfield, etc... level players, I wonder if any of these guys would go in the 1st round.  But desperate teams have to take what they can.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Haskins.  Only starting one year has me concerned, but you gotta love the comp%.  Especially playing in a top level conference.  Had a "mini-lull" mid season but finished super strong when it mattered most.  Looks bigger than listed and has the arm.

Probably a close 2nd on Will Grier.  Also put up big time stats and has done it for two years.  His arm is good enough but he does look like he falls back on throws at time.  And has a good enough arm but obviously not elite.  If he was 6'4, 230, and had a slightly better arm, I think he'd be a sure fire top 10 pick.  

If you told me I had to use our 1st rounder to get Haskins but could get Grier in the 2nd, I think I'd do the latter.

Not to deviate from the original topic of college QBs, but what would you do with the top 5 pick? I kinda agree with your preference, and even like the idea of moving out of the top 5 if someone wants one of those big defenders that will be available.

I don't know enough about Haskins to really lean either way on him.

A trade back also occurred to me too... Would be interesting and Id wanna stay in the top 15 really

(12-17-2018, 12:30 PM)JNev Wrote: A trade back also occurred to me too... Would be interesting and Id wanna stay in the top 15 really

The only way I trade back is if Haskins returns to school. If he does, I trade back as for as possible to stock up on next year's picks. I then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, with the intention of taking one in the first round of 2020 and I try and sign Foles or trades for Mullins in the offseason.

Trade for Mullins...lol
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-17-2018, 04:37 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Trade for Mullins...lol

I wouldn't be opposed to sending a 4th or 5th round pick to the Niners for him.

(12-17-2018, 09:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 04:37 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Trade for Mullins...lol

I wouldn't be opposed to sending a 4th or 5th round pick to the Niners for him.

Ew

(12-18-2018, 12:10 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 09:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to sending a 4th or 5th round pick to the Niners for him.

Ew

He'd only be a 1-2 max year bridge QB for our rookie.

I think people are really sleeping on Lock. He is up there with the guys that came out last year other than Rudolph and Mayfield. I would be more than happy with Lock if he was our pick. I think the only people that dont really like him is because he went to the same school as Gabbert. Not to mention Missouri wasnt in the SEC when he played there

(12-18-2018, 08:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think people are really sleeping on Lock.  He is up there with the guys that came out last year other than Rudolph and Mayfield. I would be more than happy with Lock if he was our pick.  I think the only people that dont really like him is because he went to the same school as Gabbert.  Not to mention Missouri wasnt in the SEC when he played there

Ya know who isn't sleeping on Drew Lock? Daniel Jeremiah (from June, so perhaps his comp has changed after another season but doubtful)

Biggest takeaway: I had a chance to see Lock throw live at the Elite 11 Finals in Redondo Beach, Calif., recently and I thought he was solid but not spectacular. I was pleasantly surprised after studying his tape. He made numerous big-boy throws, threading the needle against very tight coverage. He threw a loose ball at the camp, but he threw a very tight and crisp ball on the game tape. There are still several rough areas that need to be smoothed out, but there is plenty of talent to work with in this young QB. I believe he has the necessary tools to become a quality NFL starter.

He reminds me of: I see a lot of similarities to Patrick Mahomes when he was coming out of Texas Tech. Both guys have big arms and move around really well. They can extend plays with their athleticism and fit balls into tiny windows. However, like Mahomes, Lock needs to be more judicious with the football and cut down on the mistakes that are a result of overaggressiveness.

I like Lock. I think Haskins, Grier, and Lock are all very good QB prospects at the next level.
Wouldn't mind selecting any of those guys in the first round.

Right now I think I would go

1. Grier
2. Lock
3.a Haskins
3b. Herbert
5. Finley

I've got Grier at 1A and Haskins 1B right now.

I like Herbert's ceiling, need to watch him and Lock some more to see where they fit in.

(12-22-2018, 12:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NoahxThomas/status/1...9559494657

This was good.  lol

Every now and then I watch another cut-up from these top four or five QBs. I've been doing that for a few weeks now.  My gut instincts have them ranked thusly:

1A - Grier
1B - Haskins
2A - Lock
2B - Herbert

Then there's a log jam of guys like Jones, Finley, Jackson, Thorson etc. 

I'd feel really good about Haskins or Grier being able to get starts at some point in their rookie year and not be overwhelmed. 
I'd not be very disappointed in a Lock or Herbert pick at all, but I feel there are more question marks about their readiness to contribute without the benefit of a tailored and perhaps dumbed down playbook. Might not be the case, but it's hard to gather info on their football IQ from the cut-ups. Whereas there is a bit more decision making on display from Haskins and Grier. 

(obviously - the alpha-numeric indicates how closely I see them ranked)

Combine and pro-days are likely to shake things up a bit for me, but this is where my gut is on these guys ATM.

(12-24-2018, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every now and then I watch another cut-up from these top four or five QBs. I've been doing that for a few weeks now.  My gut instincts have them ranked thusly:

1A - Grier
1B - Haskins
2A - Lock
2B - Herbert

I'd feel really good about Haskins or Grier being able to get starts at some point in their rookie year and not be overwhelmed. 
I'd not be very disappointed in a Lock or Herbert pick at all, but I feel there are more question marks about their readiness to contribute without the benefit of a tailored and perhaps dumbed down playbook. Might not be the case, but it's hard to gather info on their football IQ from the cut-ups. Whereas there is a bit more decision making on display from Haskins and Grier. 

Combine and pro-days are likely to shake things up a bit for me, but this is where my gut is on these guys ATM.

Kinda have a feeling Lock and Herbert are the 2 guys that kill the combine and Grier and Haskins take a bit of a hit.  Could be wrong though

(12-24-2018, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every now and then I watch another cut-up from these top four or five QBs. I've been doing that for a few weeks now.  My gut instincts have them ranked thusly:

1A - Grier
1B - Haskins
2A - Lock
2B - Herbert

Kinda have a feeling Lock and Herbert are the 2 guys that kill the combine and Grier and Haskins take a bit of a hit.  Could be wrong though
That wouldn't shock me at all.  Very possible. 

I could be way off on this, but my guy tells me Herbert will need refinement at the league level sort of like what Josh Allen is going through. (Herbert is a little more accurate than Allen of course)
Lock will be more accurate as well, but I feel his ability to drop back and go through a progression is a huge unknown right now. I'd feel better about him if I had any confidence in his ability to do that.  

As it is, I think all four of these guys can be NFL starters. It's just a matter of how quickly they'll make the transition and be efficient in a pro offense.

(12-24-2018, 11:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kinda have a feeling Lock and Herbert are the 2 guys that kill the combine and Grier and Haskins take a bit of a hit.  Could be wrong though
That wouldn't shock me at all.  Very possible. 

I could be way off on this, but my guy tells me Herbert will need refinement at the league level sort of like what Josh Allen is going through. (Herbert is a little more accurate than Allen of course)
Lock will be more accurate as well, but I feel his ability to drop back and go through a progression is a huge unknown right now. I'd feel better about him if I had any confidence in his ability to do that.  

As it is, I think all four of these guys can be NFL starters. It's just a matter of how quickly they'll make the transition and be efficient in a pro offense.

Agree on Herbert, he might have the most upside but also the most raw.  Agree with pretty much everything you said though.  I think this years the 2019 QB class will be a lot like this years as in they wont look good year 1 but you will see spurts of the potential and talent but just not the consistency like this year other than Mayfield.  I think this years QB class is a bit underrated but I do think having them sit a year or at least half a years would be best for all 4 of the top QBs. Haskins and Grier I think could possibly start mid season though and possibly Lock.  If we draft Herbert though I would def. like to see him sit the whole year but he could kill it in year 2 though.  If Mahomes started last year I dont think he would of been nowhere near as good, some QBs just need to sit that first year.

Kinda starting to think Lock will be our guy. I think he has a good combine and Senior Bowl

My sleeper Brett Rypien plays Boston College in the Cotton Bowl today.