Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interview With Bortles About Benching

(12-02-2018, 07:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 01:58 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: i understand yall want to win right away. but you look at a QB like alex smith who was listed as a bust after 5 years and traded off for kap and 3 years later kap isnt in the league and you ppl where begging to get alex smith. SMH your either in it for the long haul or you will be the browns.

5 years isn't a long enough audition for you?

Not at all. You bring in a 21 century offensive philosophy with the right coaching and knows how to call a game and make adjustmenst and looks better then a last place highschool team. Let BB5 be used in that system with a coach who knows how to use him and see if he isnt a much better QB. All today showed me was that as long as marone is here and we dont change our offense even if we get one of them good QBs from the draft they will stick them in the I formation and run it, then ruin another QB. No way Mahomes has the same game here that he has in Kansas city. Our defense needs an offense that can move the ball not run 3 times and punt.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Something needs to happen.

I wouldn't mind having Bortles back next year, and if he wins the job or is a backup. I think it is a win win for the Jags.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-30-2018, 11:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 10:19 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I feel like if you look at how Blake played before all of the injuries, he was ok. But when you barely have time after the snap, your mechanics will fail, you will see ghost, the clock in your head is clearly accelerated because you know you bout to die in 1001. Then you don't make throws cause your receivers are going to A. drop it. B. Tip it to the defender for a pick. or C. catch the ball then fumble it.

Lets see what Kessler looks like but he may ask to sit out after being behind this line.
Isn't it sad that we still have to worry about a QBs mechanics in his 5th season? You're very good at making excuses for him.

As far as signing a vet like Stafford, there is no chance they pay Staffords contract plus the 16.5 million in dead money for Blake plus the rookies QBs deal. Blakes time here is over and I know it's hard to think about but the signs are all there. He's been benched for Kessler and if you think Kessler is bad and will get killed, what does that tell you about Blake? The coaching staff is still trying to win and they think Kessler is better. 

The most logical (and most likely) off season move is to cut Blake, pay him the 16.5 million in dead money, draft a rookie QB in the 1st round and have Kessler or another vet start the season. Or maybe the rookie is good like Wilson, Mayfield, Wentz.... What happened in the past with rookie QBs should play no part on if a rookie plays or not. You take every situation for what it is and don't let the past dictate the future.
I agree a good free agent signing would more than likely  be  too expensive,  but what happens if they don't like any of the QBs in the draft? We need as many picks as we can get for a new OL and the DL guys we can't keep so a trade probably won't happen. Good QBs generally aren't cut and sitting on the couch so where is this new QB gonna come from?

Stafford? He freaking sucks. Have you ever watched any games with Stafford. He is the ultimate choker.

(12-02-2018, 07:31 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 07:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 5 years isn't a long enough audition for you?

Not at all...

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0478d45659485751edff1d]

(12-02-2018, 08:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 07:31 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Not at all...

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0478d45659485751edff1d]

[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-02-2018, 08:36 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

logically played

(12-02-2018, 07:31 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 07:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 5 years isn't a long enough audition for you?

Not at all. You bring in a 21 century offensive philosophy with the right coaching and knows how to call a game and make adjustmenst and looks better then a last place highschool team. Let BB5 be used in that system with a coach who knows how to use him and see if he isnt a much better QB. All today showed me was that as long as marone is here and we dont change our offense even if we get one of them good QBs from the draft they will stick them in the I formation and run it, then ruin another QB. No way Mahomes has the same game here that he has in Kansas city. Our defense needs an offense that can move the ball not run 3 times and punt.
So it happened 1 time with Alex Smith. What about the 100s of other times where a bad QB stayed bad after 5 years? To be in the systems you’re talking about, a QB needs to be accurate. That’s literally Blakes worst quality.

Dawg. It’s over for Blake in Jacksonville. The sooner you understand that, the sooner you can come on the Haskins Train.

I will go as far as saying barring injury he never starts another nfl game
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-02-2018, 09:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 07:31 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Not at all. You bring in a 21 century offensive philosophy with the right coaching and knows how to call a game and make adjustmenst and looks better then a last place highschool team. Let BB5 be used in that system with a coach who knows how to use him and see if he isnt a much better QB. All today showed me was that as long as marone is here and we dont change our offense even if we get one of them good QBs from the draft they will stick them in the I formation and run it, then ruin another QB. No way Mahomes has the same game here that he has in Kansas city. Our defense needs an offense that can move the ball not run 3 times and punt.
So it happened 1 time with Alex Smith. What about the 100s of other times where a bad QB stayed bad after 5 years? To be in the systems you’re talking about, a QB needs to be accurate. That’s literally Blakes worst quality.

Dawg. It’s over for Blake in Jacksonville. The sooner you understand that, the sooner you can come on the Haskins Train.

I dont see haskins or any other QB this year coming out that would be a gerod goff or mahomes. they just are not there. you either bring in a vet to compete with blake or you ride blake one more yeare if you bring in passing style offense like everyone wants you give blake a year in a better different offense see if he can show more consistancy like in the playoffs and games earlier this year. if he doesnt the 2020 draft has a load of talent at QB. do not sacrafice good QB draft on a bad one when you dont have to.

(12-03-2018, 12:47 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 09:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So it happened 1 time with Alex Smith. What about the 100s of other times where a bad QB stayed bad after 5 years? To be in the systems you’re talking about, a QB needs to be accurate. That’s literally Blakes worst quality.

I dont see haskins or any other QB this year coming out that would be a gerod goff or mahomes. they just are not there. you either bring in a vet to compete with blake or you ride blake one more yeare if you bring in passing style offense like everyone wants you give blake a year in a better different offense see if he can show more consistancy like in the playoffs and games earlier this year. if he doesnt the 2020 draft has a load of talent at QB. do not sacrafice good QB draft on a bad one when you dont have to.
Ride it out one more year with Blake?! Pass.

He’s done here and yesterday proved that. Not because Kessler was great (because he wasn’t) but because the offense looked the same with Kessler. Why pay a QB 21 million who plays the same as a backup QB? Blake doesn’t have potential anymore.

(12-03-2018, 08:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 12:47 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I dont see haskins or any other QB this year coming out that would be a gerod goff or mahomes. they just are not there. you either bring in a vet to compete with blake or you ride blake one more yeare if you bring in passing style offense like everyone wants you give blake a year in a better different offense see if he can show more consistancy like in the playoffs and games earlier this year. if he doesnt the 2020 draft has a load of talent at QB. do not sacrafice good QB draft on a bad one when you dont have to.
Ride it out one more year with Blake?! Pass.

He’s done here and yesterday proved that. Not because Kessler was great (because he wasn’t) but because the offense looked the same with Kessler. Why pay a QB 21 million who plays the same as a backup QB? Blake doesn’t have potential anymore.

I didn’t think about it this way but dang ain’t that the truth. Why pay Bortles so much when Kessler gives you the same for chump change?

Just saying. I would rather have Bortles as a Backup vs Kessler.

(12-03-2018, 10:16 AM)old_man Wrote: Just saying.  I would rather have Bortles as a Backup vs Kessler.

Yeah but if you look at some other teams around the league, you don't have to settle with either as your backup.

Look at the Ravens... Flacco/Jackson/RGme
Not a bad QB room honestly. Even if I'm not a big fan of any of those guys... I don't think you have to settle on having some scrub as a back up.

However... Kess costs less than 1 mil next year. So if you're gonna have trash, have cheap trash.

(12-03-2018, 10:16 AM)old_man Wrote: Just saying.  I would rather have Bortles as a Backup vs Kessler.
So you'd pay Blake 21 million to be your backup? Sounds smart.

Kessler is the perfect backup. You want someone who knows the offense, can limit mistakes and won't lose you the game. Blake has been turnover prone his whole life and has lost the Jags countless games due to his turnovers.

(12-03-2018, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Kessler is the perfect backup. You want someone who knows the offense, can limit mistakes and won't lose you the game. Blake has been turnover prone his whole life and has lost the Jags countless games due to his turnovers.
I'd be curious to see a chart or some other breakdown of Blakes turnovers the last two years. Aside from a couple O-line turnstile sack fumbles, a majority of the ones I recall have been off our [BLEEP] WRs hands into an awaiting defense. Kessler may not lose you a game with a anemic checkdown playing style, but he certainly won't win you games either.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-03-2018, 12:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you'd pay Blake 21 million to be your backup? Sounds smart.

I'd be curious to see a chart or some other breakdown of Blakes turnovers the last two years. Aside from a couple O-line turnstile sack fumbles, a majority of the ones I recall have been off our [BLEEP] WRs hands into an awaiting defense. Kessler may not lose you a game with a anemic checkdown playing style, but he certainly won't win you games either.
Yea. That's fine.

No one is asking a backup to win you games. Just don't mess it up. Which is what was asked of Blake but he's being paid like a starter.

(12-03-2018, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Agree. Kessler can be a good bridge until the rookie is ready to start.

I love Bortles man. I'll never forget the poise he showed almost leading us to our first SB. Great guy. Great leader, just not a consistent enough QB for us. Nothing but love for the boat

(12-03-2018, 12:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 11:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you'd pay Blake 21 million to be your backup? Sounds smart.

This already exists.  It is called 4th Quarter comebacks and/or winning drives.  Bortles doesn't do it has a scant few to his credit.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.