Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Former President George H.W. Bush dies at age 94

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM by copycat.)

(12-04-2018, 09:33 PM)copycat Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 03:59 PM)rollerjag Wrote: As soon as Bush signed a budget that included a tax increase, Newt Gingrich ran back to Capitol Hill and stirred up the conservative wing of the Republican party, giving birth to the political tribalism we have today. As a result, we got Clinton, who continued Bush's economic policies, balanced the budget and ushered in a period of prosperity.

Interesting that we both agree that this was the genesis of today's ills yet we differ on whom is to blame.  As I saw it Newt was correct in that he predicted the dem's would use the compromise against President GHW Bush.  Looking back almost every political add Clinton and the democratic party put up was Bush stating the "Read my lips, no new taxes" speech, followed by the line "He can't be trusted".  

As for Clinton balancing the budget, horse feathers!  With all do respect one of the biggest lies the dems tell themselves is that Clinton balanced the budget.  Projections do not equal a balanced budget.  Dot.com bubbles burst and real estate corrections occur.   As long as base line budgeting is in effect there will never be a balanced budget.  When there is a zero increase in a departments budget and it is considered a cut we have an issue with honesty and integrity.  Furthermore when the media perpetuates that lie as they have done adnauseam years prior to Trump's election, then our society is doomed.

Edit:  I was thinking National Debt not annual budget.  While researching to refresh my memory I did stumble across this gem:  https://www.cato.org/publications/commen...nce-budget

Interesting read.  Regardless, I stand corrected.

(12-05-2018, 12:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 09:33 PM)copycat Wrote: As for Clinton balancing the budget, horse feathers!  With all do respect one of the biggest lies the dems tell themselves is that Clinton balanced the budget.  Projections do not equal a balanced budget.  Dot.com bubbles burst and real estate corrections occur.   As long as base line budgeting is in effect there will never be a balanced budget.  When there is a zero increase in a departments budget and it is considered a cut we have an issue with honesty and integrity.  Furthermore when the media perpetuates that lie as they have done adnauseam years prior to Trump's election, then our society is doomed.
Except that Clinton did balance the budget. The dot-com bubble burst towards the end and screwed W over, but there's no denying that for all of Clinton's other shortcomings (like, you know, the whole "being a sexual predator" thing), he did balance out an economy that was in the pooper when he stepped in.

(12-05-2018, 09:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Of course, but that's because the publishing companies and school boards, controlled by the left, won't show people like LBJ and Tip O'Neal in the truly partisan fashion in which they operated. History, as it's "taught" in public schools, is only unkind to the Right.
LBJ was a colossal self-serving douche to the point that if someone showed me a shred of credible evidence, I'd believe that he had played a part in arranging Kennedy's assassination to assure himself a seat in the White House. He escalated the Vietnam War basically because he was pissed off, and while he was outwardly supportive of the civil rights movement, behind the scenes he was 100% against it and wanted to see it crumble. History looking favorably upon him at all is the only evidence you need to see which side was writing the history textbooks back in the '70s and '80s.

See above post.  Thanks for correcting me.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Former President George H.W. Bush dies at age 94 - by copycat - 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM