Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kessler provided the needed spark today on offense.....

(12-03-2018, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:45 PM)old_man Wrote: I was being sarcastic.  For the #FREEKESSLER homers.

You have a habit of confusing being sick of Bortles with being high on Kessler.

I think it's okay to be sick of Bortles and think Kessler is playing for a backup gig next year.  lol

The one thing Kessler did yesterday that was much appreciated was he didn't make the silly mental errors that tend to put us in a bad spot.  He wasn't impressive, but he was safe in his first start here.  I think he'll gain some confidence from this and maybe be a little better against tennessee, but the defense better show up in tacky valley ready to play, and Fournette better be on his best behavior.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2018, 04:45 PM)old_man Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 02:40 PM)FBT Wrote: If by providing a spark you mean he didn't do anything to lose the game, absolutely.  He provided a spark.

The passing offense was anemic, as expected.  Some of it was breakdowns in protection, but overall, I think it was just Kessler's level of comfort in the pocket.  There were a few times he rushed passes or stepped up into sacks when he didn't need to.  Overall, he didn't pull a Blake and kill a drive with an untimely turnover.  He didn't make any mental mistakes that caused a turnover.  But, he did miss occasional open guys, which was to be expected since this is his first start of the year.  I think he proved enough yesterday to warrant the gig the rest of the season, and possibly gives him an opportunity to earn the backup role moving forward.  He'll get more comfortable in the pocket, and as he does, his passing game should become more of a factor.

I was being sarcastic.  For the #FREEKESSLER homers.

I'm good with sarcasm.  Sometimes it's just hard to tell when you've got half a board full of PUT KESSLER IN fans.  We've lived through the backup being the better option thing before, and it set the team back another few years when we gave Garrard a huge contract coming off an efficient season that ended in the playoffs.  

The Bortles experiment is over.  Kessler is basically filling a spot for the remainder of the season.  When he got dinged in the head yesterday, the stadium was terrified to see Bortles warming up.   Good thing Cody has a thick skull.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-03-2018, 08:17 PM)FBT Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 04:45 PM)old_man Wrote: I was being sarcastic.  For the #FREEKESSLER homers.

I'm good with sarcasm.  Sometimes it's just hard to tell when you've got half a board full of PUT KESSLER IN fans.  We've lived through the backup being the better option thing before, and it set the team back another few years when we gave Garrard a huge contract coming off an efficient season that ended in the playoffs.  

The Bortles experiment is over.  Kessler is basically filling a spot for the remainder of the season.  When he got dinged in the head yesterday, the stadium was terrified to see Bortles warming up.   Good thing Cody has a thick skull.

Bortles is going to start next year, there aren't any other options. He's better than Kessler and they aren't going with a rookie on Day 1.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-03-2018, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:17 PM)FBT Wrote: I'm good with sarcasm.  Sometimes it's just hard to tell when you've got half a board full of PUT KESSLER IN fans.  We've lived through the backup being the better option thing before, and it set the team back another few years when we gave Garrard a huge contract coming off an efficient season that ended in the playoffs.  

Bortles is going to start next year, there aren't any other options. He's better than Kessler and they aren't going with a rookie on Day 1.
Bortles won’t be the starter next year man. Let it go. He won’t even be on the roster.

(12-03-2018, 09:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bortles is going to start next year, there aren't any other options. He's better than Kessler and they aren't going with a rookie on Day 1.
Bortles won’t be the starter next year man. Let it go. He won’t even be on the roster.

That's a financial impossibility.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think we will likely be calling for Bortles as soon as we see Kessler behind in a game. Personally I'm a believer of playing your best players so he should be playing anyway.

(12-03-2018, 10:56 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I think we will likely be calling for Bortles as soon as we see Kessler behind in a game. Personally I'm a believer of playing your best players so he should be playing anyway.

It's a classic "pick your poison" scenario.

(12-03-2018, 09:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 09:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bortles won’t be the starter next year man. Let it go. He won’t even be on the roster.

4.5M is better than 0M

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 12:38 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Well he did take shots down the field... the running game wasn't that great today. At least he didn't make the bonehead play that would have lost it for us. This offensive line is horrendous.
No pain, no gain.

(12-04-2018, 12:37 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Well he did take shots down the field... the running game wasn't that great today. At least he didn't make the bonehead play that would have lost it for us. This offensive line is horrendous.

Two throws over 20 yards. 

One throw just under 20 yards. 

Twenty-one throws under 10 yards. 

A lot of people are happy Bortles isn’t in the line up, and I understand that, but let’s not make Kessler out to be anything more than he’s shown. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a QB play as conservative. He didn’t screw up much, but he was practically useless.

(12-03-2018, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:17 PM)FBT Wrote: I'm good with sarcasm.  Sometimes it's just hard to tell when you've got half a board full of PUT KESSLER IN fans.  We've lived through the backup being the better option thing before, and it set the team back another few years when we gave Garrard a huge contract coming off an efficient season that ended in the playoffs.  

Bortles won't be on the roster next year. Kessler will probably be competing with a rookie and a veteran brought in during the offseason.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-04-2018, 03:29 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Two throws over 20 yards. 

A lot of people are happy Bortles isn’t in the line up, and I understand that, but let’s not make Kessler out to be anything more than he’s shown. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a QB play as conservative. He didn’t screw up much, but he was practically useless.

I do. Week 12 against Buffalo.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 07:11 AM by JackCity.)

(12-03-2018, 09:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 09:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bortles won’t be the starter next year man. Let it go. He won’t even be on the roster.

Nope. A 10 million dead cap is entirely feasible, and is quite likely.

(12-04-2018, 06:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bortles is going to start next year, there aren't any other options. He's better than Kessler and they aren't going with a rookie on Day 1.

Bortles won't be on the roster next year. Kessler will probably be competing with a rookie and a veteran brought in during the offseason.

Kessler will be cut,  we might try to get Henne back though....

Bortles may or may not be back,  but Kessler will not be on the team next year.  He is horrible with no upside.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(12-04-2018, 07:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 09:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That's a financial impossibility.

Nope. A 10 million dead cap is entirely feasible, and is quite likely.

Not for this team next year.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 10:49 AM by MalabarJag.)

(12-04-2018, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 07:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nope. A 10 million dead cap is entirely feasible, and is quite likely.

He's going to count against the cap in either case.

If he's cut any guaranteed salary plus all of the remaining signing bonus goes on the cap. 

If he's not, his full 2019 salary plus half the remaining signing bonus goes on the cap.

EDIT: Just looked at the salary structure. If cut he'd be a $16.5M dead money cap hit. If not cut, he'd be a $21M cap hit with another $5M (more if he's again kept) in 2020.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-04-2018, 07:03 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 03:29 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Two throws over 20 yards. 

I do. Week 12 against Buffalo.
I get it but three TDs to zero just doesn't compare. This last game was won despite the QB.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 12:31 PM by JackCity.)

(12-04-2018, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 07:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nope. A 10 million dead cap is entirely feasible, and is quite likely.

21 million cap hit for a bad QB or 10 million dead cap. Pretty easy decision

(12-04-2018, 10:31 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Not for this team next year.

He's going to count against the cap in either case.

If he's cut any guaranteed salary plus all of the remaining signing bonus goes on the cap. 

If he's not, his full 2019 salary plus half the remaining signing bonus goes on the cap.

EDIT: Just looked at the salary structure. If cut he'd be a $16.5M dead money cap hit. If not cut, he'd be a $21M cap hit with another $5M (more if he's again kept) in 2020.

and that goes down to 10 million dead money hit when he signs with another team.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 01:22 PM by scottyg.)

(12-04-2018, 12:28 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Not for this team next year.

21 million cap hit for a bad QB or 10 million dead cap. Pretty easy decision

(12-04-2018, 10:31 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: He's going to count against the cap in either case.

and that goes down to 10 million dead money hit when he signs with another team.

You're assuming some team is actually going to pay him $6.5Mil to play next year.

(12-04-2018, 01:21 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 12:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: 21 million cap hit for a bad QB or 10 million dead cap. Pretty easy decision

You're assuming some team is actually going to pay him $6.5Mil to play next year.

From my understanding the offsets are just predicated on him signing for another team, the amount doesn't matter.  

and if not, Blake would definitely get that in FA anyway. Matt Schaub makes 4 mil a year as a backup and he signed two years ago. Aj Mac makes 4 million a year, Blake has 4 years of starting experience and is still young enough for teams to be swayed. He'd be one of the best backups in the league.