Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tyree Jackson QB prospect

Watched a little bit of Tyree yesterday. 
I like that he took snaps under center and made a read or two in school. So many QBs aren't tasked with that stuff these days.  I mostly liked what I saw, but it seemed like nearly half of his intermediate or deep throws would just be woefully off target. His accuracy and timing on the <20 yard stuff seemed fine though. 

For those who have checked him out  - Is this a distinguishable trait with him, or just prevalent in the two cutups I watched?

Even with some of those poor throws, I'd still rate the kid as a late first rounder/early second rounder - but I need to watch more.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

NYC, if we pick in the top 6-8 and have the opportunity to take the first QB off the board, should we do it and who should it be? Also, do you see Blake being successful given the right offense and weapons around him?

(12-11-2018, 11:58 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: NYC, if we pick in the top 6-8 and have the opportunity to take the first QB off the board, should we do it and who should it be? Also, do you see Blake being successful given the right offense and weapons around him?

I've only just started checking out these QB prospects, so I don't have an opinion yet on which I'd prefer. I'm sure we'll discuss it to death in this forum over the coming months though. 
I definitely WOULD take a QB with that pick.  I think drafting young talent is the wisest way to address the position and manage your cap. 

Regarding Blake, yes we've seen him have success with the right pieces around him. I think he can be successful - I just don't think he can be counted on to do it consistently enough to invest in him long term. 
I also think that building around a QB that requires near elite level support from his line, backs, and defense is an unsustainable model for franchise growth.  We've just witnessed how injuries to the line and 5 or 6 bad defensive performances can totally derail that type of team build.

(12-11-2018, 10:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Watched a little bit of Tyree yesterday. 
I like they he took snaps under center and made a read or two in school. So many QBs aren't tasked with that stuff these days.  I mostly liked what I saw, but it seemed like nearly half of his intermediate or deep throws would just be woefully off target. His accuracy and timing on the <20 yard stuff seemed fine though. 

For those who have checked him out  - Is this a distinguishable trait with him, or just prevalent in the two cutups I watched?

Even with some of those poor throws, I'd still rate the kid as a late first rounder/early second rounder - but I need to watch more.

The Cam Newton comp is a lazy one for multiple reasons BUT his accuracy and arm does remind me of Cam. Can hit every part of the field and can do so with amazing placement and timing but there also sitters he'll miss by a mile too. I think that can be refined/ minimized (Cam is at 68% this year because of how they've structured the offense around him) but you are likely looking at a guy who will have below starter level accuracy his first few seasons at very least.

I watch a lot of MAC football and saw him play in person in a couple games and I suggested in another thread that he could transfer to another school as a grad transfer to refine his game. I think his accuracy struggles are partly mechanical in nature and the Buffalo offense seems to take quite a few deep shots a game and too often for my liking he locks onto a guy and forces the passes. If he came out and the Jags drafted him I'd feel more comfortable with him sitting a year rather than starting right away. Currently he's not in my top QBs as it stands.

I did see a grad transfer to USC w/ Kingsbury rumor...would suck to not have him in this draft but that would also be super fun.

I’m a fan. But like others have said he will need a full season on the bench. If he goes to a team that has an established vet to learn behind like the Chargers or Green Bay, he may turn out very well. Unfortunately I don’t see him being afforded that luxury here.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

He needs to go back to school and then sit for a year or two in the NFL. He's just too raw. If he comes out now, I see him being a bust. If he returns to school and then comes out and sits a year or so, I think he has a chance to be a good, but not great QB.

Playing against Troy right now on ESPN, just made a bad throw across the field for an INT.

Sweet Tyree is in the Senior Bowl now. Thank god he's an early grad. I hope he balls out.

(01-12-2019, 08:08 PM)Upper Wrote: Sweet Tyree is in the Senior Bowl now. Thank god he's an early grad. I hope he balls out.

His nickname is "Sweet Tyree"? Now I'm definitely on board with drafting the kid.

Hes got the tools but is still a bit raw. Level of competition, inaccuracies on deep passes and relying too much on athleticism are his biggest concerns. Taking snaps from center, arm strength, scramblimg ability, and an offense where he goes through reads are the pros. If he were to sit behind an established starter for a year theres a lot to like.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-12-2019, 08:46 PM)Firesky Wrote: Hes got the tools but is still a bit raw. Level of competition, inaccuracies on deep passes and relying too much on athleticism are his biggest concerns. Taking snaps from center, arm strength, scramblimg ability, and an offense where he goes through reads are the pros. If he were to sit behind an established starter for a year theres a lot to like.

I wouldn't call simply playing in offense where he goes through reads a pro if he's actually bad at it.

(01-12-2019, 08:45 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 08:08 PM)Upper Wrote: Sweet Tyree is in the Senior Bowl now. Thank god he's an early grad. I hope he balls out.

His nickname is "Sweet Tyree"? Now I'm definitely on board with drafting the kid.

Lol no, I was just saying it's sweet that Tyree announced he was going to be in the Senior Bowl. That would be an awesome nickname though.

Serious question :

What did Josh Allen do in college that Tyree Jackson couldn't?

(01-12-2019, 09:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: Serious question :

Be white?

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 12:00 AM by JackCity.)

(01-12-2019, 11:45 PM)JNev Wrote:

Be white?

Exactly haha 

I know folks on here don't like talking about it on here but it is a very interesting dichotomy. 

Also, even if Tyree did get drafted that high, if he had a rookie season like Allen did I'm sure we'd have plenty of people saying he can't play QB.

The obvious answer aside, I just see a slightly more uphill battle for Jackson to get NFL ready. Josh Allen's battle is clearly still a steep one as well. He made some progress as a rookie in a bad situation.

Watching Jackson's Temple cut-up there are some very inaccurate passes, a number of shots where he's clearly just heaving 50/50 balls, and the choppy footwork looks like it will be an issue when he's operating from under center and asked to step into a tighter pocket. The roll-out pick six directly to the DB was very Bortles-esque BTW. 

I love the "arm talent"  (I hate that term)  but he really does look like a project. 
I wouldn't hate the pick in the late third/early fourth, but I have a feeling the Jags are going to aim for a guy that may not require this amount of preparation to start in the league. 

I didn't become high on Allen last year until watching him in the combine drills. So - we'll see how this kid does in the Senior Bowl and beyond. Jury's still out.

(01-13-2019, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

The obvious answer aside, I just see a slightly more uphill battle for Jackson to get NFL ready. Josh Allen's battle is clearly still a steep one as well. He made some progress as a rookie in a bad situation.

Watching Jackson's Temple cut-up there are some very inaccurate passes, a number of shots where he's clearly just heaving 50/50 balls, and the choppy footwork looks like it will be an issue when he's operating from under center and asked to step into a tighter pocket. The roll-out pick six directly to the DB was very Bortles-esque BTW. 

I love the "arm talent"  (I hate that term)  but he really does look like a project. 
I wouldn't hate the pick in the late third/early fourth, but I have a feeling the Jags are going to aim for a guy that may not require this amount of preparation to start in the league. 

I didn't become high on Allen last year until watching him in the combine drills. So - we'll see how this kid does in the Senior Bowl and beyond. Jury's still out.

The 2nd paragraph sounds exactly like Josh Allen.  

Definitely think the Jags goal at QB in the draft would be a Ryan Finley type over a Jackson type though. As an aside Jackson seems like a perfect Arians project , just in case Winston falls astray again.

(01-13-2019, 01:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The obvious answer aside, I just see a slightly more uphill battle for Jackson to get NFL ready. Josh Allen's battle is clearly still a steep one as well. He made some progress as a rookie in a bad situation.

The 2nd paragraph sounds exactly like Josh Allen.  

Definitely think the Jags goal at QB in the draft would be a Ryan Finley type over a Jackson type though. As an aside Jackson seems like a perfect Arians project , just in case Winston falls astray again.
The similarities are undeniable. 

But Allen's college cut-ups reveals a slightly bigger arm (compare across the body throws), more multiple reads (Allens eyes are more active across the field for second options), and cleaner footwork.  I also think Allen has a slight edge in accuracy on sideline stuff.  I'd be interested in seeing a completion chart for Jackson as it looks to me like he has an issue throwing to the right sideline accurately.