Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John DeFilippo fired - Potential Jags OC?

Okay so I know people will initially be like "Nah why do we need some teams castoff OC?" and I get that. He was fired after a terrible Vikings performance and a number of pretty inconsistent weeks from the offense despite big money invested in Kirk , two pro bowl caliber WRs and a solid TE (Cook is good but has barely played).  On the surface that isn't very appealing.

On the flip side (sorry) the Eagles offense totally regressed once he left and judging by everything mentioned throughout the year he was a crucial part of what they did there. Based on everything we know of him I'd be willing to wager he's closer to the Eagles version than the Vikings version. Even with the Vikings we saw his innovative passing design on display quite a bit and thats mainly the reason we'd be hiring him. Its pretty clear Zimmer has an issue with offense too as this is his 4th OC and most have ended up in some kind of philosophical conflict with him.  

From our side of things he'd give us an innovative passing minded OC who's well regarded around the league and potentially a future HC too. If Marrone is willing to just give him the wheel to run the offense and develop a highly drafted rookie QB we could get back on track real quick. He's a former offensive QC under Coughlin too so there's already a connection there. They could sell him on a chance to rehabilitate his HC credentials here, what better way to do it than finally get Jacksonville a good young QB?

I'm not so sure Marrone would be willing to do the above, nor if the jags would even be on DeFilippo's radar but its definitely something they should strongly consider..albeit he'll have a very strong market for jobs even after this setback.

thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't want Marrone's ongoing employment guaranteed by DeFilippo's presence.

he was fired for running all pass no run offense. Tom wants a balanced attack.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 02:20 PM by JackCity.)

(12-11-2018, 02:03 PM)TJBender Wrote: I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't want Marrone's ongoing employment guaranteed by DeFilippo's presence.

I mean if it works it works. If we are bad next year Marrone is getting fired regardless imo, he wouldn't survive two losing years in that locker room even if the offense improves and we have a rookie QB.

(12-11-2018, 02:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: he was fired for running all pass no run offense. Tom wants a balanced attack.

Zimmer wanted him to run more despite a god awful run blocking line.  

Tom wants a good offense I'd wager

No idea whether Marrone will be back but - if that were the case:

Assuming TC, Marrone and DeFilippo can get on the same page about a balanced attack then it could work.
DeFillipo has a long history as a QB coach and the Jags are about to draft one.
(unless we see a curveball move by the F.O.)
So - he may be a valuable commodity to the development of a rookie QB next season.

My only major concern is whether he can be creative in the run game enough to get production on the ground out of what is almost sure to be a less than elite O-Line next year.

(12-11-2018, 02:13 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: he was fired for running all pass no run offense. Tom wants a balanced attack.

He was fired as a scapegoat.

That being said... he doesn't exactly have a stellar resume, so why are people so quick to just want to hire whoever is most recently available?

....moved up to the NFL in 2005 as offensive quality control coach for the New York Giants under Tom Coughlin and held that position until 2006.[8] In 2007, DeFilippo joined Lane Kiffin's staff on the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach and remained on staff in 2008 when Tom Cable replaced Kiffin during the season. DeFilippo became quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets under Rex Ryan in 2009.
--so he left Tom to join bad teams with bad QB play, iirc from those years

DeFilippo returned to the college ranks in 2010 as quarterbacks coach at San Jose State under Mike MacIntyre. In 2011, DeFilippo also became offensive coordinator for San Jose State, in a season where San Jose State rose 32 places in national offensive rankings and improved to 5–7 from 1–12 the previous season.[8]
--OK... I guess that's nice.

Oakland Raiders
In 2012, DeFilippo returned to the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach, first under Dennis Allen, and then Tony Sparano.
--4-12, Leinart and Palmer were terrible, the offense was gross.

Cleveland Browns
On January 21, 2015, DeFilippo was hired as the Cleveland Browns' new offensive coordinator.[9][10] However, after only 1 season, DeFilippo was let go after head coach Mike Pettine was fired.
--Well... it's the Browns, so... 

Philadelphia Eagles
On January 21, 2016, DeFillippo was hired as the quarterbacks coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.[11]
--So 1 good year with a very gifted QB

Minnesota Vikings
Four days after winning Super Bowl LII, DeFilippo was hired as offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.[12] DeFillippo was fired after the Vikings lost 21-7 to the Seattle Seahawks on Monday Night Football.[13]
--Yikes, maybe that grass ain't always greener.

(Resume copied from Wikipedia)

(12-11-2018, 02:41 PM)Kane Wrote:

He was fired as a scapegoat.

That being said... he doesn't exactly have a stellar resume, so why are people so quick to just want to hire whoever is most recently available?

....moved up to the NFL in 2005 as offensive quality control coach for the New York Giants under Tom Coughlin and held that position until 2006.[8] In 2007, DeFilippo joined Lane Kiffin's staff on the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach and remained on staff in 2008 when Tom Cable replaced Kiffin during the season. DeFilippo became quarterbacks coach for the New York Jets under Rex Ryan in 2009.
--so he left Tom to join bad teams with bad QB play, iirc from those years

DeFilippo returned to the college ranks in 2010 as quarterbacks coach at San Jose State under Mike MacIntyre. In 2011, DeFilippo also became offensive coordinator for San Jose State, in a season where San Jose State rose 32 places in national offensive rankings and improved to 5–7 from 1–12 the previous season.[8]
--OK... I guess that's nice.

Oakland Raiders
In 2012, DeFilippo returned to the Oakland Raiders as quarterbacks coach, first under Dennis Allen, and then Tony Sparano.
--4-12, Leinart and Palmer were terrible, the offense was gross.

Cleveland Browns
On January 21, 2015, DeFilippo was hired as the Cleveland Browns' new offensive coordinator.[9][10] However, after only 1 season, DeFilippo was let go after head coach Mike Pettine was fired.
--Well... it's the Browns, so... 

Philadelphia Eagles
On January 21, 2016, DeFillippo was hired as the quarterbacks coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.[11]
--So 1 good year with a very gifted QB

Minnesota Vikings
Four days after winning Super Bowl LII, DeFilippo was hired as offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.[12] DeFillippo was fired after the Vikings lost 21-7 to the Seattle Seahawks on Monday Night Football.[13]
--Yikes, maybe that grass ain't always greener.

(Resume copied from Wikipedia)

Context is important though, its very hard to judge how good a job a QB coach has done without looking at who and what they had to work with. I don't think anyone would have had success with the Raiders at that time, Greg Olson was the OC for a few years with him, he had to play Terrelle Pryor at QB for a season along with Matt McGloin. Derek Carr was fine for a rookie 2nd rounder under him. Carson Palmer had a passer rating of 85 despite nothing around him

QB production he got in Cleveland :  4,100 yards 20 TDs  12 picks, passer rating of 84: QBs were Josh McCown, rookie Johnny Manziel , Austin Davis.
Gary Barnridge had 1,000 yards at TE. Team didn't score many points but finished 15th in total offense despite minimal talent.  

With the Eagles he was credited for the vast jump in Wentzs performance from rookie to year 2, and also getting Nick Foles playing amazing in the postseason.

I would be ok with this. Can't be worse than what we've already had..... Might be good with a new QB coming in too.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

So for our new OC I'd have two requirements :
1) Willing to utilize the pass game and creatively sets up the offense to succeed (check for DeFilipo)
2) Has history developing young NFL QBs (check for DeFilipo)

Interesting angle on the Zimmer/DeFillippo conundrum:

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...8100165633

Another note, DeFilipo was in charge of Phillys red zone offense in 2017, ranked the best in the league.

(12-11-2018, 04:04 PM)JackCity Wrote: Another note, DeFilipo was in charge of Phillys red zone offense in 2017,  ranked the best in the league.

I thought ours was the best last year in the red zone.

(12-11-2018, 04:16 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 04:04 PM)JackCity Wrote: Another note, DeFilipo was in charge of Phillys red zone offense in 2017,  ranked the best in the league.

We were first in TD% but Philly had more volume and 6 more passing TDs. We were top 2 easily, just an interesting note that he was given charge of the red zone by the coaching staff

(12-11-2018, 04:16 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:

Depends on which specific stat line you look at.  

Jags had the highest percentage of TDs scored per redzone visit  --  A good portion of those were rushing TDs.
This chart shows that Bortles was  pretty good in the redzone in 2017, but his percentage pales to others on the top of this list - including Wentz. 
[Image: ScreenShot2018-12-11at3.19.45PM.png]

More breadcrumbs, Coughlin was rumored to be taking John DeFilipo with him as OC if he took the HC job with Philly.

I wouldn't be against it. I like some other guys better, but I wouldn't complain if DeFilipo were brought in.

(12-11-2018, 01:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: Okay so I know people will initially be like "Nah why do we need some teams castoff OC?" and I get that. He was fired after a terrible Vikings performance and a number of pretty inconsistent weeks from the offense despite big money invested in Kirk , two pro bowl caliber WRs and a solid TE (Cook is good but has barely played).  On the surface that isn't very appealing.

On the flip side (sorry) the Eagles offense totally regressed once he left and judging by everything mentioned throughout the year he was a crucial part of what they did there. Based on everything we know of him I'd be willing to wager he's closer to the Eagles version than the Vikings version. Even with the Vikings we saw his innovative passing design on display quite a bit and thats mainly the reason we'd be hiring him. Its pretty clear Zimmer has an issue with offense too as this is his 4th OC and most have ended up in some kind of philosophical conflict with him.  

From our side of things he'd give us an innovative passing minded OC who's well regarded around the league and potentially a future HC too. If Marrone is willing to just give him the wheel to run the offense and develop a highly drafted rookie QB we could get back on track real quick. He's a former offensive QC under Coughlin too so there's already a connection there. They could sell him on a chance to rehabilitate his HC credentials here, what better way to do it than finally get Jacksonville a good young QB?

I'm not so sure Marrone would be willing to do the above, nor if the jags would even be on DeFilippo's radar but its definitely something they should strongly consider..albeit he'll have a very strong market for jobs even after this setback.

thoughts?

I think that was more Frank Reich than it was DeFilippo.  Would rather wait till season end and see who is available but I think there will be better options

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM by JackCity.)

(12-11-2018, 08:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 01:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: Okay so I know people will initially be like "Nah why do we need some teams castoff OC?" and I get that. He was fired after a terrible Vikings performance and a number of pretty inconsistent weeks from the offense despite big money invested in Kirk , two pro bowl caliber WRs and a solid TE (Cook is good but has barely played).  On the surface that isn't very appealing.

thoughts?

I think that was more Frank Reich than it was DeFilippo.  Would rather wait till season end and see who is available but I think there will be better options

Good point, I'd agree with that mostly.     

In terms of candidates Flip is the mold we should be going for, as long as they share those attributes with him im good

(12-11-2018, 08:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't be against it. I like some other guys better, but I wouldn't complain if DeFilipo were brought in.

What kinda guys you thinking of Oline?

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 12:47 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-11-2018, 09:30 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 08:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think that was more Frank Reich than it was DeFilippo.  Would rather wait till season end and see who is available but I think there will be better options

Good point, I'd agree with that mostly.     

In terms of candidates Flip is the mold we should be going for, as long as they share those attributes with him im good

(12-11-2018, 08:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't be against it. I like some other guys better, but I wouldn't complain if DeFilipo were brought in.

What kinda guys you thinking of Oline?

In terms of players?

I like OG's that can play OG or OT. Some players that we might have a shot at outside the first round (which we should use on a QB), are

Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin OG/OT
Chris Lindstrom of Boston College OG/OT
Michael Deiter Wisconsin OG/C/OT
Alex Bars of Notre Dame OG/OT
Dru Samia OF Oklahoma OG/OT
Tyler Jones of North Carolina State OG/OT
Phil Haynes of Wake Forest OG/OT.

As far as a swing Tackle I like

Yodny Cajuste of West Virginia
Max Scharping of Northern Illinois
Mitch Hyatt of Clemson
Andre Dillard of Washington State
Jackson Barton of Utah
John Runyan Jr. of Michigan
Justin Skule of Vanderbilt.

Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look. Just hard to tell with what this front office is going to do over the next few months leading up to the draft. I still think there's a good chance Marrone and Wash are gone. If they bring in a HC like McDaniels or McCarthy he could end up being a potential staff hire for either one of those guys.

I'll tell you another thing too. I know it's off topic but similar. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Smith back here as the DC with whatever's left on this defense next year. Could be promising. McDaniels at HC, mostly calling the shots offensively with a new QB being coached up by DeFilippo in a dual role. And then another old time favorite that we saw a lot of success under defensively.

Doubt all of that crazy [BLEEP] happens. But it's a possibility.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."