Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John DeFilippo fired - Potential Jags OC?

(12-12-2018, 04:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look. Just hard to tell with what this front office is going to do over the next few months leading up to the draft. I still think there's a good chance Marrone and Wash are gone. If they bring in a HC like McDaniels or McCarthy he could end up being a potential staff hire for either one of those guys.

I'll tell you another thing too. I know it's off topic but similar. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Smith back here as the DC with whatever's left on this defense next year. Could be promising. McDaniels at HC, mostly calling the shots offensively with a new QB being coached up by DeFilippo in a dual role. And then another old time favorite that we saw a lot of success under defensively.

Doubt all of that crazy [BLEEP] happens. But it's a possibility.

I doubt McDaniels give us a look at all.  We have no qb.  If he ditched Indy with the strong possibility of a healthy Andrew Luck, he ain't coming here.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-11-2018, 10:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: Good point, I'd agree with that mostly.     

In terms of candidates Flip is the mold we should be going for, as long as they share those attributes with him im good

What kinda guys you thinking of Oline?

In terms of players?

I like OG's that can play OG or OT. Some players that we might have a shot at outside the first round (which we should use on a QB), are

Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin OG/OT
Chris Lindstrom of Boston College OG/OT
Michael Deiter Wisconsin OG/C/OT
Alex Bars of Notre Dame OG/OT
Dru Samia OF Oklahoma OG/OT
Tyler Jones of North Carolina State OG/OT
Phil Haynes of Wake Forest OG/OT.

As far as a swing Tackle I like

Yodny Cajuste of West Virginia
Max Scharping of Northern Illinois
Mitch Hyatt of Clemson
Andre Dillard of Washington State
Jackson Barton of Utah
John Runyan Jr. of Michigan
Justin Skule of Vanderbilt.

i was asking you what coaching candidates you were thinking of haha

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 02:37 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-12-2018, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 10:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In terms of players?

I like OG's that can play OG or OT. Some players that we might have a shot at outside the first round (which we should use on a QB), are

Cody Ford, OG/OT, Oklahoma

Mitch Hyatt of Clemson
Jackson Barton of Utah

i was asking you what coaching candidates you were thinking of haha

The position coaches are hired by the Head Coach. It all depends on who replaces Marrone. If Marrone stays, he'll probably hire some re-tread and we'll get more of the same.

(12-13-2018, 02:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 10:23 AM)JackCity Wrote: i was asking you what coaching candidates you were thinking of haha

The position coaches are hired by the Head Coach. It all depends on who replaces Marrone. If Marrone stays, he'll probably hire some re-tread and we'll get more of the same.

I know. Was just asking who you had your eye on as potential hires.

(12-13-2018, 08:56 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 02:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The position coaches are hired by the Head Coach. It all depends on who replaces Marrone. If Marrone stays, he'll probably hire some re-tread and we'll get more of the same.

I know. Was just asking who you had your eye on as potential hires.

I'll be honest, I look at HC candidates and Coordinators. As far as position coaches, I don't have a clue. I just leave that up to the team.

(12-13-2018, 09:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 08:56 AM)JackCity Wrote: I know. Was just asking who you had your eye on as potential hires.

I'll be honest, I look at HC candidates and Coordinators. As far as position coaches, I don't have a clue. I just leave that up to the team.

That's what I'm asking, potential coordinators you liked.

(12-11-2018, 10:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: Good point, I'd agree with that mostly.     

In terms of candidates Flip is the mold we should be going for, as long as they share those attributes with him im good

What kinda guys you thinking of Oline?

In terms of players?

Mitch Hyatt of Clemson
Jackson Barton of Utah
You sure do have a lot of college knowledge here. Not sure I could name one college Olineman.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-13-2018, 09:09 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 09:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'll be honest, I look at HC candidates and Coordinators. As far as position coaches, I don't have a clue. I just leave that up to the team.

That's what I'm asking, potential coordinators you liked.

My list would be almost all young QB coaches......

Mike Kafka, QB Coach, Kansas City

Dave Ragone, QB Coach, Bears

Zac Taylor, QB Coach, Rams

Sean Ryan, QB Coach, Texans

Shane Waldron, Passing Game Coordinator, Rams

(12-13-2018, 12:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 10:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In terms of players?

Mitch Hyatt of Clemson
Jackson Barton of Utah
You sure do have a lot of college knowledge here. Not sure I could name one college Olineman.

Thanks. I just watch a lot of college football. A lot.

(12-11-2018, 02:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No idea whether Marrone will be back but - if that were the case:

Assuming TC, Marrone and DeFilippo can get on the same page about a balanced attack then it could work.
DeFillipo has a long history as a QB coach and the Jags are about to draft one.
(unless we see a curveball move by the F.O.)
So - he may be a valuable commodity to the development of a rookie QB next season.

My only major concern is whether he can be creative in the run game enough to get production on the ground out of what is almost sure to be a less than elite O-Line next year.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have completely dismissed Marrone being sent packing, but a lot has changed since then, and I suspect that his departure is certainly something that will be considered, especially if the team continues to flounder and look undisciplined.  Coughlin will only tolerate that for so long before he has enough.

My guess is that if the team does retain Marrone, DeFilippo will be on their list of OC candidates, although I think he will probably wind up with better opportunities in bigger markets.  Especially knowing that he could be potentially working for a lame duck head coach.  

Assuming they do pursue him, and Marrone/Coughlin are still running football operations, it will be interesting to see if he'd be open to running an offense they find acceptable, or if they'd hand him the keys and a new QB and just give him the mandate to fix it.  

The line is always going to be a concern, but with Robinson, Norwell, and Linder coming back from injury, the hope there is that the left side of the line is capable.  Robinson regressed before the injury, but maybe the time off will help hi regain some focus.  I do expect to see the team looking at upgrading the line if possible, both in free agency and through the draft.  I don't think we'll see the same blockbuster type deals we did with Norwell, but with Caan entering free agency, we have to make a decision as to whether it's worth bringing him back, or going in a different direction, and Parnell may be playing his last few games for the Jags, sitting on the sideline with an injury.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]