Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Flacco Threads (merged)

Weather we dump BB5 or not. If Flacco is available what do you think we could get him for?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

a 7th. looks like on the rapid decline.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 04:34 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I'd give the Ravens a Morrone Bologna Sandwich only if they'd give me Flacco and a 4th rounder.  Flacco is terrible.

[Image: DQiLh5cUEAAoykU.jpg]

(12-12-2018, 04:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'd give the Ravens a Morrone Bologna Sandwich only if they'd give me Flacco and a 4th rounder.  Flacco is terrible.

Flacco will pobably be the best FA Vet available. even if we draft a rookiee, they will not start him. you have a championship caliber Defense, you cant waste it on a rookiee QB. So if not flacco your best bet is to keep BB5.

With Ozzie retiring, I'd give them an offer they can't refuse for Lamar Jackson.

Pay as in a trade? Nothing. 

Pay as in a contract once they cut him? Very little.

vet minimum to be a backup at best thats it hes done.
No Fun

Best I would offer is a straight up trade for Bortles and perhaps a late round pick.  He would be an upgrade over Bortles and is a veteran (which isn't a whole lot).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I wouldn't trade for him at all. There will be other options in free agency to serve as a bridge QB for a year or so.

(12-12-2018, 05:25 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 04:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'd give the Ravens a Morrone Bologna Sandwich only if they'd give me Flacco and a 4th rounder.  Flacco is terrible.

Flacco will pobably be the best FA Vet available. even if we draft a rookiee, they will not start him. you have a championship caliber Defense, you cant waste it on a rookiee QB. So if not flacco your best bet is to keep BB5.
Dude. 

Give. It. Up.

Blake is done here. Even if they don’t get Flacco (which I hope they don’t because he’s terrible) they can still manage to get someone else besides Blake. Teddy B, McCown or... start the rookie. It could turn out like the Seahawks and Wilson. Strong run game and good defense with a young rookie QB.

Flacco is an average to above average QB who benefits from a strong defense and a good cast around him. He's better than Bortles in that his #1 receiver isn't the back of his right guard's helmet. Beyond that, he's not someone I'd want to try and build a team around. A first-round QB seems to be just this side of inevitable to me unless the skies open up, the Red Sea is parted and Drew Brees is released by the Saints. If we're looking at guys on a one-year deal to hold down the fort while the rookie learns the ropes, Flacco wouldn't be a bad idea. The problem is that he's probably going to want more than we want to pay, and may well be looking for a longer-term arrangement.

(12-12-2018, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't trade for him at all. There will be other options in free agency to serve as a bridge QB for a year or so.

speaking of bridge...

The most I'd give is this 
[Image: lays-classic.png?sfvrsn=bd1e563a_2]
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

I would be willing to give up Blake Bortles for him....

and would be willing to pay him.... league minimum.

Ah yes, it's the the time of year when Jaguars fans talk about how badly they want another team's Blake Bortles.

(12-12-2018, 07:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 05:25 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Flacco will pobably be the best FA Vet available. even if we draft a rookiee, they will not start him. you have a championship caliber Defense, you cant waste it on a rookiee QB. So if not flacco your best bet is to keep BB5.
Dude. 

Give. It. Up.

Blake is done here. Even if they don’t get Flacco (which I hope they don’t because he’s terrible) they can still manage to get someone else besides Blake. Teddy B, McCown or... start the rookie. It could turn out like the Seahawks and Wilson. Strong run game and good defense with a young rookie QB.

(12-20-2018, 01:59 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Ah yes, it's the the time of year when Jaguars fans talk about how badly they want another team's Blake Bortles.

While I'm not really big on Flacco, he's a huge upgrade to Bortles.  He has all of the things that you would want in a "bridge" QB.  Veteran QB (11 seasons), plenty of playoff experience (6 seasons), Super Bowl MVP (2012) and appears to be in his twilight years as far as an NFL player (age 33).

Here are his NFL records (from his Wikipedia page).
  • First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games
  • Most wins by a quarterback in first seven seasons: 72 (regular season only)
  • Second-most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)
  • First quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons (Russell Wilson tied record)
  • Most touchdowns in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner)
  • Most touchdowns without an interception in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana)
  • First quarterback to have a passer rating over 100 in all four games of a single postseason
  • Most consecutive playoff games with at least two passing touchdowns: 8
  • Most consecutive playoff games with at least three passing touchdowns: 3 (tied with Bernie Kosar, Kurt Warner, and Aaron Rodgers)
  • Most consecutive road playoff games with at least one passing touchdown: 7 (tied with Donovan McNabb and Brett Favre)
  • Most consecutive road playoff games with at least two passing touchdowns: 5
  • Fastest quarterback to record five touchdowns in a game: 16:03
  • Most road playoff wins for a quarterback: 7 (tied with Eli Manning)
The thing to also think about is he accomplished this playing on a team similar to how the Jaguars are built and want to play (great defense, good running game).

As I said, I'm not really high on him, but he would be a really good fit and I would hardly call him '"terrible" or "another team's Blake Bortles".  The question is what would the cost be?  A trade?  Bidding in free agency (assuming he's released)?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of bringing in Flacco. The guy is a statue and our O-Line has been pathetic. Bortles and Kessler have way more mobility than Flacco does. He'd be a sitting duck behind this O-Line. I think we should find a more athletic QB to be a bridge for a rookie. I'm leaning heavily towards trying to sign Nick Foles or giving up a mid round pick to trade for Nick Mullens. I believe given our situation, they would be much better short term fixes than Flacco would.

(12-20-2018, 05:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of bringing in Flacco. The guy is a statue and our O-Line has been pathetic. Bortles and Kessler have way more mobility than Flacco does. He'd be a sitting duck behind this O-Line. I think we should find a more athletic QB to be a bridge for a rookie. I'm leaning heavily towards trying to sign Nick Foles or giving up a mid round pick to trade for Nick Mullens. I believe given our situation, they would be much better short term fixes than Flacco would.

I don't disagree with you completely.  I agree that a more athletic option is more desirable.  I'm not really big on Nick Foles or Nick Mullens either.  The thing is, Flacco would probably be a good fit as a BRIDGE quarterback for a rookie to learn from and sit behind for a season or two.  As I pointed out before, his experience fits what the Jaguars have and want to do (great defense, strong running game).

The problem that needs to be addressed along with getting a veteran QB is what you brought up... the O line.  To me that's the bigger priority in the draft, especially a draft class with poor QB prospects.

This is coming straight from a friend of mines mouth, who is a big Ravens fan...

"Being objective, Flacco would be marginally better as a passer than Bortles (probably make less mistakes), but Bortles is a better overall QB because of his mobility. 

Flacco pretty much needs a great OL and running game to be a capable starter these days, otherwise he's going to resort to using terrible mechanics, stare-down his first receiver, get sacked, throw picks, and get injured. Plus Flacco seems to fail to make basic pre-snap reads for whatever reason. He's never been a particularly studious QB though, so that's not really surprising."

You could literally replace Flacco's name with Bortles' name in the second part and it'd still be spot on.

Unless Flacco wants to come here as a FA, on a Vet Min contract, it'd be such a waste to go after him.

(12-20-2018, 04:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: While I'm not really big on Flacco, he's a huge upgrade to Bortles.  

The grass is always greener.

Bortles is a much better QB than he's given credit for, he's pretty much actual middle of the road, it's just that the bib brigade thinks if someone isn't Mahomes then he's Gabbert, but that's just not true.

Watching the Jags offensive performances against mediocre to bad defenses with Kessler shows that Bortles wasn't the worst QB in the league like he gets talked about. He's just not good enough that the team should have settled for him.

I hope the Jags aren't stupid enough to sign another team's Bortles and instead just stays with low cost guys until they can draft an actual franchise QB.