Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
GoFundMe - Trump's Wall

(01-17-2019, 03:20 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 02:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: No, it's really not, because it's a stupid non-solution to an overstated problem. Unless you're going to wall off legal entry points and put really, really big walls around airports to keep people with student visas from getting in, you're not going to stop the flow with it.

You view it as stupid because you apparently have misunderstood what the problem really is. It's not the legal ports of entry, student visas, H1 visas, airports, or any other means of legal entry. It is the "illegal" part of "illegal immigration". That is the issue. I don't believe many folks have an issue with trying to come work in the US or immigrate using the legal methods. I'm stunned you got so far confused in all this. I suppose you also don't understand that the additional wall funding is not being sold as a sole solution. It's a continuing resolution to just one piece of the puzzle. It's also just one part of the over budget request from the POTUS and DHS. It makes no sense to fund any one piece without the others. How is this so difficult for folks to understand?

Yes it is. Most of the people in this country that are here illegally overstayed their visa, or they came over for a perfectly legal trip and illegally decided not to return home. An illegal immigrant is more likely to attempt to cross the border while hidden inside of a semi or closed into the space under the back seat of a Ford than they are to hike for days through the desert. You're trying to sink $5 billion into a solution that doesn't solve the problem. Take the stupid wall out and fund everything else. Hell, take the stupid wall out and divert the $5.7B to other border security items that will be cost effective, doesn't screw over hundreds of species, increases the visible Border Patrol presence at legal crossings and the open border, and can't be defeated in a day by two dudes with shovels. I'm all for a wall if that wall consists of sensors buried underground designed to detect movement across them, cameras and drones to identify what's making that movement, and agents in cars, on horseback and in the air to detain any illegal human traffic. A physical barrier is a stupid non-solution to an overstated problem.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2019, 04:18 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: The Trump administration has repeatedly asked for reductions in the number of legal visas of all types, and they have scuttled some deals with Congress, both parties in Congress, over that request.
Stephen Miller has repeatedly said he wants to reduce both legal and illegal immigration.  Bannon too.
If we're being honest, there has been outdated Congressional quotas since about 1990. Yes, Congress sets immigration numbers, not the POTUS. However, the POTUS can shutdown refugee programs if he so chooses. As a sidebar, the White has been talking with Congress since January of last year and even as recently as this week about streamlining the path to citizenship for certain visa holders numbering close to 1.8 million folks. Runs contrary to what you typed. In any case, back to the "wall"..

A visa holder is already here.  Trump's administration wants to reduce the number of new visas.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/pol...341832002/  Just one example.  They want to reduce other types of visas to. 
They have a problem with legal immigration.  They don't like it.  They want there to be less of it.  Please acknowledge the basic facts.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-17-2019, 05:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 04:18 PM)B2hibry Wrote: If we're being honest, there has been outdated Congressional quotas since about 1990. Yes, Congress sets immigration numbers, not the POTUS. However, the POTUS can shutdown refugee programs if he so chooses. As a sidebar, the White has been talking with Congress since January of last year and even as recently as this week about streamlining the path to citizenship for certain visa holders numbering close to 1.8 million folks. Runs contrary to what you typed. In any case, back to the "wall"..

A visa holder is already here.  Trump's administration wants to reduce the number of new visas.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/pol...341832002/  Just one example.  They want to reduce other types of visas to. 
They have a problem with legal immigration.  They don't like it.  They want there to be less of it.  Please acknowledge the basic facts.

Is this the hill you want to die on? We should have limited legal immigration and no illegal immigration, this isn't a new idea.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-17-2019, 05:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 05:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: A visa holder is already here.  Trump's administration wants to reduce the number of new visas.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/pol...341832002/  Just one example.  They want to reduce other types of visas to. 

Is this the hill you want to die on? We should have limited legal immigration and no illegal immigration, this isn't a new idea.

I agree about trying to go for no illegal immigration.  
And I agree that there should be a limit on the number of people who can come legally.
I happen to think that this number could be a bit higher than it is now.  Trump thinks it should be much less.
What do you think?

(01-17-2019, 05:00 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:20 PM)B2hibry Wrote: You view it as stupid because you apparently have misunderstood what the problem really is. It's not the legal ports of entry, student visas, H1 visas, airports, or any other means of legal entry. It is the "illegal" part of "illegal immigration". That is the issue. I don't believe many folks have an issue with trying to come work in the US or immigrate using the legal methods. I'm stunned you got so far confused in all this. I suppose you also don't understand that the additional wall funding is not being sold as a sole solution. It's a continuing resolution to just one piece of the puzzle. It's also just one part of the over budget request from the POTUS and DHS. It makes no sense to fund any one piece without the others. How is this so difficult for folks to understand?

Yes it is. Most of the people in this country that are here illegally overstayed their visa, or they came over for a perfectly legal trip and illegally decided not to return home. An illegal immigrant is more likely to attempt to cross the border while hidden inside of a semi or closed into the space under the back seat of a Ford than they are to hike for days through the desert. You're trying to sink $5 billion into a solution that doesn't solve the problem. Take the stupid wall out and fund everything else. Hell, take the stupid wall out and divert the $5.7B to other border security items that will be cost effective, doesn't screw over hundreds of species, increases the visible Border Patrol presence at legal crossings and the open border, and can't be defeated in a day by two dudes with shovels. I'm all for a wall if that wall consists of sensors buried underground designed to detect movement across them, cameras and drones to identify what's making that movement, and agents in cars, on horseback and in the air to detain any illegal human traffic. A physical barrier is a stupid non-solution to an overstated problem.

Not "most."

This is a frequently stated lie. There haven't been a lot of studies done. The most recent (2017) gave the figure of 42%. The last previous study was in 2006, with a figure of 45%.

The problem with these studies is that while it's easy to count visa overstays, the illegals crossing the border got in without being counted. I have a doubt that the visa overstay number is anywhere close to the 40-some percent quoted. When you can find me a "press two for Hindi" voicemail I'll rethink my position.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 08:32 PM by mikesez.)

(01-17-2019, 06:57 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 05:00 PM)TJBender Wrote: Yes it is. Most of the people in this country that are here illegally overstayed their visa, or they came over for a perfectly legal trip and illegally decided not to return home. An illegal immigrant is more likely to attempt to cross the border while hidden inside of a semi or closed into the space under the back seat of a Ford than they are to hike for days through the desert. You're trying to sink $5 billion into a solution that doesn't solve the problem. Take the stupid wall out and fund everything else. Hell, take the stupid wall out and divert the $5.7B to other border security items that will be cost effective, doesn't screw over hundreds of species, increases the visible Border Patrol presence at legal crossings and the open border, and can't be defeated in a day by two dudes with shovels. I'm all for a wall if that wall consists of sensors buried underground designed to detect movement across them, cameras and drones to identify what's making that movement, and agents in cars, on horseback and in the air to detain any illegal human traffic. A physical barrier is a stupid non-solution to an overstated problem.

Not "most."

This is a frequently stated lie. There haven't been a lot of studies done. The most recent (2017) gave the figure of 42%. The last previous study was in 2006, with a figure of 45%.

The problem with these studies is that while it's easy to count visa overstays, the illegals crossing the border got in without being counted. I have a doubt that the visa overstay number is anywhere close to the 40-some percent quoted. When you can find me a "press two for Hindi" voicemail I'll rethink my position.

The people who crossed the border without any paperwork may not be counted as they're crossing the border, but they can be counted in other ways.
Their kids show up at public School, for instance.

(01-17-2019, 03:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:20 PM)B2hibry Wrote: You view it as stupid because you apparently have misunderstood what the problem really is. It's not the legal ports of entry, student visas, H1 visas, airports, or any other means of legal entry. It is the "illegal" part of "illegal immigration". That is the issue. I don't believe many folks have an issue with trying to come work in the US or immigrate using the legal methods. I'm stunned you got so far confused in all this. I suppose you also don't understand that the additional wall funding is not being sold as a sole solution. It's a continuing resolution to just one piece of the puzzle. It's also just one part of the over budget request from the POTUS and DHS. It makes no sense to fund any one piece without the others. How is this so difficult for folks to understand?
I beg to differ on this thought.

Based on what may I ask?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-17-2019, 07:26 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I beg to differ on this thought.

Based on what may I ask?

based on the president and his advisors demanding that the number of visas for legal immigration be reduced?

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 08:37 PM by B2hibry.)

(01-17-2019, 07:26 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I beg to differ on this thought.

Based on what may I ask?

Do you have an issue with legal immigration? Should we make a poll? The issue has been immigration of the illegal type. Sure there will be exception to everything. Go dig through google for unbiased polls. See what’s out there but contrary to the tinfoil crew, America is not as “racist” and divided as the media potrays. Unless you can show otherwise I’ll stick with a majority of Americans are giving and reasonable people as long as laws apply to everyone equally.

(01-17-2019, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 07:26 PM)copycat Wrote: Based on what may I ask?

based on the president and his advisors demanding that the number of visas for legal immigration be reduced?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/politics/...index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-h1b-v...ers-today/
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-17-2019, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Apples and oranges.  

The statement was:  "I don't believe many folks have an issue with trying to come work in the US or immigrate using the legal methods."

The 'folks' I know that support tighter boarder security have no issue with legal immigration.  The number is irrelevant.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM by mikesez.)

(01-17-2019, 08:38 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: based on the president and his advisors demanding that the number of visas for legal immigration be reduced?

Apples and oranges.  

The statement was:  "I don't believe many folks have an issue with trying to come work in the US or immigrate using the legal methods."

The 'folks' I know that support tighter boarder security have no issue with legal immigration.  The number is irrelevant.

"I have no problem with red cars being on the road, but if we could all have less red cars, that would be great."

(01-17-2019, 08:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote:

Do you have an issue with legal immigration? Should we make a poll? The issue has been immigration of the illegal type. Sure there will be exception to everything. Go dig through google for unbiased polls. See what’s out there but contrary to the tinfoil crew, America is not as “racist” and divided as the media potrays. Unless you can show otherwise I’ll stick with a majority of Americans are giving and reasonable people as long as laws apply to everyone equally.

(01-17-2019, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: based on the president and his advisors demanding that the number of visas for legal immigration be reduced?

that's nice but the question of if they get to be citizens later is not really relevant to the question of gow many can come legally in the first place.

(01-17-2019, 08:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:38 PM)copycat Wrote: Apples and oranges.  

"I have no problem with red cars being on the road, but if we could all have less red cars, that would be great."
How about more “blue cars” that actually have degrees in fields that could help America versus being more of a burden?

(01-17-2019, 08:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: "I have no problem with red cars being on the road, but if we could all have less red cars, that would be great."

How about more “blue cars” that actually have degrees in fields that could help America versus being more of a burden?

More Americans, as a percentage, have degrees today than any other time in history.
surely you don't believe that only people with degrees have valuable labor and skills to offer us?
Do you know which type of Visa Trump wanted to cut the most? The family visa.

America does not need a single unskilled immigrant for any reason. Not one more should be admitted.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 11:48 PM by B2hibry.)

(01-17-2019, 09:39 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: How about more “blue cars” that actually have degrees in fields that could help America versus being more of a burden?

More Americans, as a percentage, have degrees today than any other time in history.
surely you don't believe that only people with degrees have valuable labor and skills to offer us?
Do you know which type of Visa Trump wanted to cut the most? The family visa.

Useable degrees and specialties. I don’t give a [BLEEP] about some joe blow with his Kaplan or University of Phoenix degree! Okay, cool, cut the family visa. But you know that the K-1 visa is one of Trumps discussion points in streamlining path to citizenship, right?

(01-17-2019, 08:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:38 PM)copycat Wrote: Apples and oranges.  

(01-17-2019, 08:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Do you have an issue with legal immigration? Should we make a poll? The issue has been immigration of the illegal type. Sure there will be exception to everything. Go dig through google for unbiased polls. See what’s out there but contrary to the tinfoil crew, America is not as “racist” and divided as the media potrays. Unless you can show otherwise I’ll stick with a majority of Americans are giving and reasonable people as long as laws apply to everyone equally.

that's nice but the question of if they get to be citizens later is not really relevant to the question of gow many can come legally in the first place.
Does it not when in combination with the Congress dictated quota system?

A very good friend of mines oldest son lived in China for 10 years, moved back to the states and married his long time girlfriend (his Mom was terminally ill, so they moved up the date so she would be present) ... Both are highly educated professionals. She (his Chinese wife) still hasn't been given residence, and has well overstayed her visa at their lawyers advice. seems if you leave, you ain't coming back .... Unless you walk across the southern boarder, and let the politicians help you.

What is legal immigration, and how do you get it?

(01-18-2019, 07:34 AM)Sammy Wrote: A very good friend of mines oldest son lived in China for 10 years, moved back to the states and married his long time girlfriend (his Mom was terminally ill, so they moved up the date so she would be present) ... Both are highly educated professionals. She (his Chinese wife) still hasn't been given residence, and has well overstayed her visa at their lawyers advice.  seems if you leave, you ain't coming back .... Unless you walk across the southern boarder, and let the politicians help you.

What is legal immigration, and how do you get it?

It certainly isn’t a perfect system and needs some updating. By most countries standards it’s pretty flexible.

I don’t know their situation but sounds as if they didn’t meet the 5 consecutive year residency requirement. They sound like decent folks that would benefit from an immigration attorney.

This entire GoFundMe thing has given me a brilliant idea: instead of funding the wall with everyone's money why don't you guys just approve a budget without the $5.4 billion they say they need and have a quick referendum on funding the wall later. Everyone gets send a nice little card that says "I would like to help fund the construction and maintenance of the border wall between the USA and Mexico", with a simple yes or no answer and you get two months to fill it in and send it back. Then, after two months are up, you tally up how much people voted yes, divide the costs evenly, and add it to the tax bill of those people. The wall gets built, and only the people who support it have to pay for it. Heck, I'll even consider people who abstain as a yes vote, just to help pad the numbers.

(01-19-2019, 06:08 PM)DragonFury Wrote: This entire GoFundMe thing has given me a brilliant idea: instead of funding the wall with everyone's money why don't you guys just approve a budget without the $5.4 billion they say they need and have a quick referendum on funding the wall later. Everyone gets send a nice little card that says "I would like to help fund the construction and maintenance of the border wall between the USA and Mexico", with a simple yes or no answer and you get two months to fill it in and send it back. Then, after two months are up, you tally up how much people voted yes, divide the costs evenly, and add it to the tax bill of those people. The wall gets built, and only the people who support it have to pay for it. Heck, I'll even consider people who abstain as a yes vote, just to help pad the numbers.

None of your ideas are brilliant.

(01-19-2019, 06:08 PM)DragonFury Wrote: This entire GoFundMe thing has given me a brilliant idea: instead of funding the wall with everyone's money why don't you guys just approve a budget without the $5.4 billion they say they need and have a quick referendum on funding the wall later. Everyone gets send a nice little card that says "I would like to help fund the construction and maintenance of the border wall between the USA and Mexico", with a simple yes or no answer and you get two months to fill it in and send it back. Then, after two months are up, you tally up how much people voted yes, divide the costs evenly, and add it to the tax bill of those people. The wall gets built, and only the people who support it have to pay for it. Heck, I'll even consider people who abstain as a yes vote, just to help pad the numbers.

So what you are saying is that only people that vote yes for something have to pay for it?

Where do I sign? That's the smartest thing I have ever heard.

I vote no to paying the salary of useless Politicians. And I get to chose which ones I do pay for.