Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Week 17

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2018, 03:45 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Correction )

I hope everyone here had a great Christmas and are in the midst of happy and safe holiday seasons.  Please do not drink and drive!  We are now at the end of another regular season.  Even though this has been a return to nightmare seasons for the Jaguars, I still hate the end of the regular season and the football withdrawal it brings.  That withdrawal also includes this thread.  Researching the division opponents from week to week and sharing my thoughts (no matter how ill informed) and reading your perspectives on the games is always a blast.  I'm always blown away by you guys prognostication skills as I see some of the records swell to levels I don't achieve.  Fortunately for me, I managed to be 3 games over .500, and there are only two games to pick this year, so I am guaranteed a season above .500, unlike my Jaguars, unfortunately.  As it has been over the past 3-4 years, it's been a blast!

On to the final picks of the season...

Jaguars (5-10) at Tinhorns (10-5)-Houston suffered a big loss to their WR corps when Demariyus Thomas tore his achilles.  When you add that to the loss of Will Fuller, the tinhorns have a diminished receiving group, and that will hurt them in the postseason.  But as long as Hopkins is healthy, they will always have a threat outside, and as long as Watson is throwing the ball, the Texans' can maximize the threat Hopkins represents.  It's amazing Watson has stayed healthy all season considering the state of their OL.  They are within striking range of allowing SIXTY (60) sacks for the year.  But I certainly can't talk smack about that as a Jaguars fan on the subject of sacks, as we have given up 50 ourselves-more than double the amount surrendered last year.  Injuries are the main culprit here.  For perspective on the amount of injuries this team has suffered, the typical NFL team carries nine, maybe ten offensive linemen on the roster after the final cuts have been made in preseason.  The Jaguars have SIX (6) guys who are on IR or who were on IR and was given the designation to return.  Of the five opening day starters, only RG A.J. Cann survived the carnage and will play Sunday.  This rag tag group goes up against a resurgent J.J. Watt, who has rebounded from two injury riddled years to be the J.J. Watt the rest of the league feared, and a Jadeveon Clowney, who is playing at a pretty decent level himself.  Things are going to be ugly for the Jaguars' offense going against a motivated Texans' defense playing for the division title and possibly a first round bye.  Tinhorns 24 Jaguars 3.

Colts (9-6) at tacks (9-6)-If the Jaguars pull off the highly improbable, nigh impossible and somehow beat the Texans, this game ends up being for all the marbles in the division.  But even if the expected happens and the Texans win, this game is still for playoff survival.  In order for both of these teams to make the playoffs, they would have to root for Pittsburgh to lose, otherwise the loser of this game is home for the postseason.  Mariota is banged up-again-suffering a stinger and having more nerve issues.  But I'm betting he plays.  I believe that the tacks will rely heavily on Henry, and if they get him going, it will be a long day for the Colts' defense.  But I have no doubt the Colts' defense will give a more inspired effort against him than the Jaguars did on that Thursday night game.  I think the tacks have the better overall team, but the Colts have Andrew Luck, and I think Luck will be the difference.  Colts 23 tacks 16.

Last week:  3-1
Overall:  26-23

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

4-0 last week
18-32 overall

Jaguars over Texans
Titans over Colts
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

26-21

tinhorns
colts

30-18 coming into the last week. I'll go with the obvious picks, texans and colts.

Tacks
Jags

Bortles offensive player of the wk
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2018, 03:41 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(12-27-2018, 10:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I hope everyone here had a great Christmas and are in the midst of happy and safe holiday seasons.  Please do not drink and drive!  We are now at the end of another regular season.  Even though this has been a return to nightmare seasons for the Jaguars, I still hate the end of the regular season and the football withdrawal it brings.  That withdrawal also includes this thread.  Researching the division opponents from week to week and sharing my thoughts (no matter how ill informed) and reading your perspectives on the games is always a blast.  I'm always blown away by you guys prognostication skills as I see some of the records swell to levels I don't achieve.  Fortunately for me, I managed to be 3 games over .500, and there are only two games to pick this year, so I am guaranteed a season above .500, unlike my Jaguars, unfortunately.  As it has been over the past 3-4 years, it's been a blast!

Jaguars (5-10) at Tinhorns (10-5)-Houston suffered a big loss to their WR corps when Demariyus Thomas tore his achilles.  When you add that to the loss of Will Fuller, the tinhorns have a diminished receiving group, and that will hurt them in the postseason.  But as long as Hopkins is healthy, they will always have a threat outside, and as long as Watson is throwing the ball, the Texans' can maximize the threat Hopkins represents.  It's amazing Watson has stayed healthy all season considering the state of their OL.  They are within striking range of allowing SIXTY (60) sacks for the year.  But I certainly can't talk smack about that as a Jaguars fan on the subject of sacks, as we have given up 50 ourselves-more than double the amount surrendered last year.  Injuries are the main culprit here.  For perspective on the amount of injuries this team has suffered, the typical NFL team carries nine, maybe ten offensive linemen on the roster after the final cuts have been made in preseason.  The Jaguars have SIX (6) guys who are on IR or who were on IR and was given the designation to return.  Of the five opening day starters, only RG A.J. Cann survived the carnage and will play Sunday.  This rag tag group goes up against a resurgent J.J. Watt, who has rebounded from two injury riddled years to be the J.J. Watt the rest of the league feared, and a Jadeveon Clowney, who is playing at a pretty decent level himself.  Things are going to be ugly for the Jaguars' offense going against a motivated Texans' defense playing for the division title and possibly a first round bye.  Tinhorns 24 Jaguars 3.

Colts (9-6) at tacks (9-6)-If the Jaguars pull off the highly improbable, nigh impossible and somehow beat the Texans, this game ends up being for all the marbles in the division.  But even if the expected happens and the Texans win, this game is still for playoff survival.  In order for both of these teams to make the playoffs, they would have to root for Pittsburgh to lose, otherwise the loser of this game is home for the postseason.  Mariota is banged up-again-suffering a stinger and having more nerve issues.  But I'm betting he plays.  I believe that the tacks will rely heavily on Henry, and if they get him going, it will be a long day for the Colts' defense.  But I have no doubt the Colts' defense will give a more inspired effort against him than the Jaguars did on that Thursday night game.  I think the tacks have the better overall team, but the Colts have Andrew Luck, and I think Luck will be the difference.  Colts 23 tacks 16.

texans
colts - with the update that Mariota won't play, I have to go with the Colts. I wouldn't trust Gabbert to win anything against a decent team.

22-23 overall
1-2 last week

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 07:27 AM by jagherd.)

Colts vs tacks is a "win-and-in" de facto playoff game.

These teams don't have to worry/hope about the Steelers to lose. The only way the Steelers playoff hopes come into play with this game is IF Colts and tacks TIE. (Although, in this age of the shortened OT, a Tie is more possible than ever before).

If it comes down to OT, expect another Frank Reich going for it on 4th down deep in their territory,, or Vrabel once again ignoring FG opportunity and going for it for a win.

Rightfully so for both squads,, especially in a game with stakes such as this. It's basically a playoff game already. Tacks better hope Gabbert is up to the task if MM can't go.

** Steelers' only playoff hopes:
- Browns beat Ravens + Steelers beat Bengals (Steelers win AFCN and Ravens are eliminated)
- Colts vs Tacks TIE + Steelers beat Bengals.

** Ravens are basically in a de facto playoff game also. Beat the Browns, they're in. Lose that game, they have to hope Pitt loses to a terrible, injury-riddled Cincy (Cincy can't ever beat Pitt anyway,, probably not happening).
If Ravens lose, the winner of Colts/tacks finish with a better record (10-6) and take the last playoff spot. 

As it stands now,, I'll pick the Colts to win.
But, this is a tough one. It could go either way. Should be an electric atmosphere Sunday night in Tenn.

27-22 overall

I'll take this week. 

tittians- they are at home.

Texans

I noticed something,at least it seems this way. 

one of the tittians fans hre picks jags,and they lose every week,bury time he picks againest them they some how wim.

its either unf nashville  or nashville dave. no offensse intended,just happened to notice it.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I lost track of what my season record is, though I know that I was above .500 plus I missed a few games.

This week I'll take...

Texans
Colts

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

29-20

Texans
Tacks

Week # 16 Results; 2-1 ( I didn't make a selection in the Tennessee game here. )

29-19 overall official ( 30-19 unofficial )

#Week # 17 selections

Houston
Indianapolis

It's going to up to Gabbert to get the Titans in the playoffs. To much pressure for him. He'll collapse and fold.

(12-28-2018, 07:19 AM)jagherd Wrote: Colts vs tacks is a "win-and-in" de facto playoff game.

These teams don't have to worry/hope about the Steelers to lose. The only way the Steelers playoff hopes come into play with this game is IF Colts and tacks TIE. (Although, in this age of the shortened OT, a Tie is more possible than ever before).

If it comes down to OT, expect another Frank Reich going for it on 4th down deep in their territory,, or Vrabel once again ignoring FG opportunity and going for it for a win.

Rightfully so for both squads,, especially in a game with stakes such as this. It's basically a playoff game already. Tacks better hope Gabbert is up to the task if MM can't go.

** Steelers' only playoff hopes:
- Browns beat Ravens + Steelers beat Bengals (Steelers win AFCN and Ravens are eliminated)
- Colts vs Tacks TIE + Steelers beat Bengals.

** Ravens are basically in a de facto playoff game also. Beat the Browns, they're in. Lose that game, they have to hope Pitt loses to a terrible, injury-riddled Cincy (Cincy can't ever beat Pitt anyway,, probably not happening).
If Ravens lose, the winner of Colts/tacks finish with a better record (10-6) and take the last playoff spot. 

As it stands now,, I'll pick the Colts to win.
But, this is a tough one. It could go either way. Should be an electric atmosphere Sunday night in Tenn.
I stand corrected.

Thanks.

(12-27-2018, 10:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I hope everyone here had a great Christmas and are in the midst of happy and safe holiday seasons.  Please do not drink and drive!  We are now at the end of another regular season.  Even though this has been a return to nightmare seasons for the Jaguars, I still hate the end of the regular season and the football withdrawal it brings.  That withdrawal also includes this thread.  Researching the division opponents from week to week and sharing my thoughts (no matter how ill informed) and reading your perspectives on the games is always a blast.  I'm always blown away by you guys prognostication skills as I see some of the records swell to levels I don't achieve.  Fortunately for me, I managed to be 3 games over .500, and there are only two games to pick this year, so I am guaranteed a season above .500, unlike my Jaguars, unfortunately.  As it has been over the past 3-4 years, it's been a blast!

This week:  2-0
Final record:  28-23 (DNP: 1)

^ No problem Bullseye.
Only reason I knew that is because the Steelers are my most "despised" team. I'm so glad they missed out of playoffs!

Terrific thread as usual Bullseye. It is every season.

1-1 this week. 28-23 overall. bulls eye we tied. i missed week 1 as well.

2-0, so 32-18 for the season.

(12-27-2018, 07:43 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:

texans
colts - with the update that Mariota won't play, I have to go with the Colts. I wouldn't trust Gabbert to win anything against a decent team.

22-23 overall
1-2 last week
24-23
2-0  ending on a high note (low note). Goodbye 2018 hardly knew ya!

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

bullseye are we contintueing this though the playoffs as long as a afc south team is in it still like we did last year?

(12-27-2018, 12:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 26-21

tinhorns
colts

28/21 on the season  

(I think I'm short one game after not getting a thursday night pick in on time)