Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Daniel Jones QB Duke

(01-11-2019, 10:56 AM)roycee Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I did watch him play....... actual games (vs. Virginia Tech and Miami) not some put together highlight reel. I'm sorry, I was not impressed.

If you did you would know lack of touch isn't a problem in his game.

If you read what I wrote, I said I fear he has the same problem as Byron. I didn't say he did though. Truth is, I don't know what his problem is, but you can't just simply blame all of his inaccuracies on poor receivers. He had a 62.8% rating his first year as a starter, then it went way down to 56.7% and this year he barely cracked 60%. I like seeing players improve from year to year as they get more experience. He was all over the place and that concerns me. Maybe it doesn't concern you, but the two games I saw him play (the only two available in my area,) I was not impressed. I would take him over Kyler Murray, Tyree Jackson or Ryan Finley any day of the week, but that's certainly not an endorsement.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-11-2019, 11:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:56 AM)roycee Wrote: If you did you would know lack of touch isn't a problem in his game.

If you read what I wrote, I said I fear he has the same problem as Byron. I didn't say he did though. Truth is, I don't know what his problem is, but you can't just simply blame all of his inaccuracies on poor receivers. He had a 62.8% rating his first year as a starter, then it went way down to 56.7% and this year he barely cracked 60%. I like seeing players improve from year to year as they get more experience. He was all over the place and that concerns me. Maybe it doesn't concern you, but the two games I saw him play (the only two available in my area,) I was not impressed. I would take him over Kyler Murray, Tyree Jackson or Ryan Finley any day of the week, but that's certainly not an endorsement.
As a Senior, Matt Ryan didn't crack 60% and threw 19 interceptions.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM by roycee.)

(01-11-2019, 11:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:56 AM)roycee Wrote: If you did you would know lack of touch isn't a problem in his game.

I’m not blaming his perceived inaccuracies on his receivers. But you have to acknowledge that his receiving group being as bad as they are definitely hurts his completion %. The 3 other QBs at least have NFL level receivers to throw to.

there’s so many ways to watch players and formulate opinions if you want to base yours off of 2 games and some box scores go for it.

(01-11-2019, 11:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 11:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you read what I wrote, I said I fear he has the same problem as Byron. I didn't say he did though. Truth is, I don't know what his problem is, but you can't just simply blame all of his inaccuracies on poor receivers. He had a 62.8% rating his first year as a starter, then it went way down to 56.7% and this year he barely cracked 60%. I like seeing players improve from year to year as they get more experience. He was all over the place and that concerns me. Maybe it doesn't concern you, but the two games I saw him play (the only two available in my area,) I was not impressed. I would take him over Kyler Murray, Tyree Jackson or Ryan Finley any day of the week, but that's certainly not an endorsement.
As a Senior, Matt Ryan didn't crack 60% and threw 19 interceptions.

Shhhhhh. No need for facts around here.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

FWIW -  The 1010 crew had Jim Nagy on the Frangie show the other day for a segment talking about the Senior Bowl.  Nagy is a longtime pro scout in the NFL who now is the president of the Senior Bowl staff.
Naturally they asked him about QBs as the Jags are likely after one.

The guy he seemed to effuse the most praise over was none other than Daniel Jones.

Quote:"In terms of prototype - he's at the top of the group - size, athleticism, arm strength..."
"He's played on a team where he hasn't had NFL talent around him"

He talks about Drew Lock later in the segment. Then Hays asks about the mid-round projections Stidham, Thorson, Finley later.

listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-145697181/se...ow-1-11-19

I'm starting to think this class will be a lot better than advertised. It's almost like 1/4th of the way through the year the national media declared this an awful year for QBs and then didn't want to backtrack

I'm starting to think we should draft two QBs. One in the first round, and then an insurance policy perhaps in round six.
'02

(01-14-2019, 12:19 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think we should draft two QBs. One in the first round, and then an insurance policy perhaps in round six.

I wouldn't be against it. That plan worked out pretty well for Washington when they drafted RG3 and Cousins.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I have a strong feeling that Coughlin will fall in love with Jones and take him with the 7th pick- even if Haskins is on the board. Don't underestimate the Cutcliffe connection and the fact T.C. loved Eli Manning. Jones' experience is another factor that Coughlin will use to justify this pick. Personally, I'd take Haskins by a mile over Jones. I just hope Jones doesn't become another quarterback bust for the Jags.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM by rpr52121.)

So, yes his WR's had some horrendous drops. However, he was some throws that were high and some that were short on others, especially 1 of the picks. He missed back shoulder a few times, but his WR bailed him out on 1. Most of that video's passing game used quick passing with only a few true intermediate routes, likely due to pressure; so it limits how much you credit can give Jones for an immediate throw to the first read on a WR screen or 5 yard route.

I worry about his ability to read coverage too, like the play action deep shot. The WR was was not open. WR may have beat his man, but that means Jones didn't gauge the safety and realize he would be double covered when the ball got there. It would be nice to see the all-22.

He did go through his progressions at times, but play design didn't require him to most of the time. He definitely does not call out protections, and I saw maybe 2-3 "audible" like checks the entire video. Given that could be due to the system/coach, but he will need to prove he can do that in NFL.

He definitely appears to have the arm, but primarily in the pocket. Didn't attempt much on the run/roll out. He also seemed to panic often times with pressure in his face. He did escape a few, but he probably doesn't have the speed to do that against NFL DE/LB's. His major "scrambles" were with no pressure and an open lane for him to take.

I mean if you take him on Day 3, he could be good value as a developmental guy. But given that many think this class will be poor, and some teams may be reaching for QB's earlier, Jaguars should not target him.

How he performs in the senior bowl surrounded by far better talent will be telling. I think he may surprise some folks.

(01-11-2019, 10:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:59 AM)Dimson Wrote: Whoa now. That may be asking a little too much there.

I did watch him play....... actual games (vs. Virginia Tech and Miami) not some put together highlight reel. I'm sorry, I was not impressed.

As stated earlier, if you think him rocketing the ball is at all a concern you haven't seen him play.

Really think he's a mix of Garrappollo & Matt Ryan. I think that he's absolutely worth the #7 selection if Haskins is gone, this kid can flat out PLAY.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

How dud he look today at the senior bowl practices?
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Struggled massively by all accounts.

I heard Lock is playing very well, but Daniels has not fared well at all. I believe Lock has now jumped Daniels in the minds of scouts.

(01-24-2019, 06:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I heard Lock is playing very well, but Daniels has not fared well at all. I believe Lock has now jumped Daniels in the minds of scouts.

I think you're overrating this one week of practice. if Lock gets drafted before him it won't be because Jones had some bad practices.

(01-24-2019, 06:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I heard Lock is playing very well, but Daniels has not fared well at all. I believe Lock has now jumped Daniels in the minds of scouts.

Lock was always ahead of Jones imo

(01-24-2019, 06:52 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Lock was always ahead of Jones imo

I don't know. I saw a lot of mocks that had Jones as a first rounder and Lock as an early second rounder. I think that's gonna change.

(01-24-2019, 07:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 06:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Lock was always ahead of Jones imo

I don't know. I saw a lot of mocks that had Jones as a first rounder and Lock as an early second rounder. I think that's gonna change.

They're mock drafts lol. Of course they're going to change. Then they'll change again 35 more times before the actual draft gets here.

Which one of Lock or Jones has a throwing motion like Bortles? I saw a clip don't remember which, but stay away from whoever it is.
No Fun