Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Johnson or Hopkins?
Andre Johnson
DeAndre Hopkins
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who is better? question mostly for Texans fans

Andre Johnson or DeAndre Hopkins?

I like Johnson better, he was big, strong, really fast... just a complete nightmare for any DB, too bad he had mostly garbage QBs. Hopkins has better hands though.

What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is a good question. And it makes you realize just how spoiled the tinhorns fans have been since they started up in the NFL.

Hopkins has only recently benefited from stellar QB play. Johnson I think maybe had a brief stint where he had Schuab playing at a Pro-Bowl level on a consistent basis. And then that all went to [BLEEP]. Johnson probably had more consistent games. Hopkins tends to have more splash plays in games here and there.

Hopkins has the better hands. I don't even think that's an argument at this point. But statistically the dudes are about neck and neck with where Hopkins was at in just under 100 career starts and where Johnson was at in just under 100 career starts.

Ultimately I'll give the edge to Hopkins here. I think as long as he's there and they can keep Watson up on his feet and keep building around him to buy him more time. The sky's the limit for him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Hopkins has 47 td's in 6 years Andre has 70 in 14 and yeah he doesn't drop much at all.

Hopkins is the better receiver, Andre was a great receiver and better athlete, but as far as pure receiving ability... Hopkins is better.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2019, 12:47 AM by p_rushing.)

(01-04-2019, 11:36 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Hopkins is the better receiver, Andre was a great receiver and better athlete, but as far as pure receiving ability... Hopkins is better.
Hopkins is able to push off every catch and the DB isn't allowed to do anything about it. Put Andre in this time and those athletic abilities make him better when a DB can't touch you.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2019, 10:43 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(01-05-2019, 12:47 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 11:36 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Hopkins is the better receiver, Andre was a great receiver and better athlete, but as far as pure receiving ability... Hopkins is better.
Hopkins is able to push off every catch and the DB isn't allowed to do anything about it. Put Andre in this time and those athletic abilities make him better when a DB can't touch you.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Complete B.S.

The league put a emphasis on the "no chuck" rule in 2004.. in time for Andre's sophomore season in the league.

Not too mention Hopkins had to play with a revolving door at QB (9.. most in the league) before he ever got with Watson who he's had for only 1 1/2 seasons.

Hopkins looks like a hall of fame receiver in my opinion ,a jimmy smith , marvin Harrison level receiver , Andre Johnson while a great receiver, I never thought he was a HOFer just a step below jimmy smith marvin Harrison and probably on regie Wayne's level.

n/m

(01-05-2019, 05:00 PM)Mdjagsfan1989 Wrote: Hopkins looks like a hall of fame receiver in my opinion ,a jimmy smith , marvin Harrison level receiver , Andre Johnson while a great receiver, I never thought he was a HOFer just a step below jimmy smith marvin Harrison and probably on regie Wayne's level.

Andre will eventually get in, but it's going to take a long while.. (WR is a log jam).. what's hurting him is the damn TD #s.

(01-05-2019, 05:00 PM)Mdjagsfan1989 Wrote: Hopkins looks like a hall of fame receiver in my opinion ,a jimmy smith , marvin Harrison level receiver , Andre Johnson while a great receiver, I never thought he was a HOFer just a step below jimmy smith marvin Harrison and probably on regie Wayne's level.

That's hilarious 

Andre Johnson 14185 yards 70 TDs
Jimmy Smith 12287 yards 67 TDs
Harrison 14580 yards 128 TDs

Jimmy had better QBs overall than Andre.
Marvin had Manning.

I'd take AJ over Jimmy, Marvin and DeAndre.

I'd take marvin Harrison number one and then Jimmy smith. Jimmy smith only played really 10 seasons, and amassed over 12 k yards , Andre Johnson played longer. Jimmy will not get in the hof but that's is own doing, he quit early and had off the field issues but in their prime jimmy was the better receiver than AJ.

(01-05-2019, 11:36 PM)Mdjagsfan1989 Wrote: I'd take marvin Harrison number one and then Jimmy smith. Jimmy smith only played really 10 seasons, and amassed over 12 k yards , Andre Johnson played longer. Jimmy will not get in the hof but that's is own doing, he quit early and had off the field issues but in their prime jimmy was the better receiver than AJ.

Nope.

Jimmy had Brunell, Fred and Keenan for years.
Marvin was pretty good but he had Manning, Wayne, Clark etc.
Andre had who exactly? Schaub, Carr (with an awful O-line) Rosenfels, Fitzpatrick.

AJ was better than Jimmy.

Johnson over Finnegan in a 1st round ko.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-04-2019, 04:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Andre Johnson or DeAndre Hopkins?

I like Johnson better, he was big, strong, really fast... just a complete nightmare for any DB, too bad he had mostly garbage QBs. Hopkins has better hands though.

What do you guys think?

A damn good question.

The fact  you could pose such a question means the Texans have had two excellent receivers.

I completely agree with you on the Johnson/Hopkins analysis.  From my perspective, I think Johnson gives Ramsey more problems than Hopkins.  I think Johnson played a more physical game, and could stand toe to toe with Ramsey from that perspective.  He also has the speed I don't believe Hopkins has.

Hopkins has the edge in route running and hands, IMO.

Either way, though, you'd have an outstanding receiver.

I think it's a little early to label Hopkins a HOF receiver, but if he continues on this track, Canton may certainly be calling him.  Johnson is certainly Canton worthy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Give me J Smith. Honestly he was sickly talented and we ran a balanced offense so his touches would be limited because Coughlin viewed 50/50 balance as a goal. It really is a crazy example of what substance abuse does to a career. Jimmy is the only Number 1 receiver we have ever had. Blackmon was crazy talented and could have been but he is another one that couldn't get out of his own way. The sports science episode with his catch radius was like throwing to a 2 car garage. Man I miss offense.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-07-2019, 01:40 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Give me J Smith. Honestly he was sickly talented and we ran a balanced offense so his touches would be limited because Coughlin viewed 50/50 balance as a goal. It really is a crazy example of what substance abuse does to a career. Jimmy is the only Number 1 receiver we have ever had.  Blackmon was crazy talented and could have been but he is another one that couldn't get out of his own way. The sports science episode with his catch radius was like throwing to a 2 car garage. Man I miss offense.

How much would a clean and sober Blackmon helped us against the Patriots in the AFC championship game?

Sigh....

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-04-2019, 04:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Andre Johnson or DeAndre Hopkins?

What do you guys think?

Until Hopkins gives Cortland Finnegan a beatdown, the answer will always be Johnson.

(01-07-2019, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 01:40 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Give me J Smith. Honestly he was sickly talented and we ran a balanced offense so his touches would be limited because Coughlin viewed 50/50 balance as a goal. It really is a crazy example of what substance abuse does to a career. Jimmy is the only Number 1 receiver we have ever had.  Blackmon was crazy talented and could have been but he is another one that couldn't get out of his own way. The sports science episode with his catch radius was like throwing to a 2 car garage. Man I miss offense.

How much would a clean and sober Blackmon helped us against the Patriots in the AFC championship game?

Sigh....

We probably win the game imo... and the SB too.