Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DK Metcalf

(03-05-2019, 04:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 03:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: Regarding the bold - This is contradictory no? What kind of WR is he exactly?

He played in 12 games in 2017 and had 40 recs for 650 yards he was targeted 79 times averaging 3 catches a game. That puts him at an abysmal 50% catch rate. I believe he’s been credited with 11 drops on a career of 67 recs. He’s right around a 17% drop rate. Again, not stellar.

AJ Brown clearly outplayed him and the numbers prove it. DK was a glorified deep threat because unfortunately, he struggles running more complex routes and getting the separation to do so. He wins off the line by outmuscling his counterparts but his footwork is a mess. When matched up against more technical corners playing NFL styled defenses he struggled. Look at the LSU game. Look at the Cal game. Those cut ups are readily available.

He’s a project. Let’s just call a spade a spade. While I am absolutely intrigued about pairing his massive upside and physical skills with the likes of a technical coach in McCardell, there’s a strong possibility he may never reach full potential. Is he on par with the great WRs of the past decade? Because if you take him that early you are saying he is. Edit-  ****Didn’t we just go thru this with Fournette!!!***
He is an outside WR that is going to run GO/Post/Fade type routes he isn't going to be a slot/drag route WR...not that hard to see that.

The OC was a guy that never should have been hired and was on record stating that the WRs in his system basically run backyard routes and just free lance once the play starts....he basically says DK go deep left...Lodge go deep right...AJ go over the middle...if you look at all of the Ole Miss guys none of them ran complex route trees b/c the OC didn't require it and thats why he is gone and why an Ole Miss offense with 3 NFL WRS (DK, Brown, Lodge), NFL LT (Little), NFL RB (Wilkins last year), NFL TE (Knox), and 2 potential NFL QBs (Shea Patterson/Taamu) sucked.

You blame DK for a 50% catch rate which tells me you didn't watch the games just cut ups...look at the LSU game where the Taamu went 19/38 for 178 yards and Shea Patterson went 10/23 116 yards with 3 Ints...or the Bama game where the Taamu went 7/22 for 135 (92 of that being DK), or the MS State game where the QB went 8/17 for 87 yards and the true freshman came in for 5/8 65 yards....the point being you can't blame DK's production dropping when its obvious that the right side OL/QB really sucked when facing better defenses. As for the Cal game, DK went 3 for 125 yards and a TD...I'll take that every day.

And I don't get what is contradictory about a WR thats asked to go 30+ yards deep on every play to not get many accurate passes his way when the entire right side of the OL is a turnstile...that's what eventually got Taamu's ankle hurt.

No doubt he needs coaching with some of the routes but I don't think he is something of the Heyward-Bey level project.

Do you really watch the games? One of the interceptions in the LSU game was because of a dropped pass from DK where he literally gifted the ball to the DB. In the Cal game he was having the best game of his career (huge 70 yard chunk play early in the game BTW) until they switched to a smaller, more agile CB. DK couldn’t create any separation on his own afterwards outside of his arm bar. Do you think it’s going to get easier at the next level?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2019, 06:49 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 12:42 AM)You flgatorsandjags Wrote: I said that a while back before the combine.  I thought Harry was your guy? Matcalf has a lot more than that.  Dude reminds me of Josh Gordon without the backage.

Harry is my guy. I think this is a guy who’s a prime example of the combine failing scouts. The guy doesn’t show up athletically but he finds a way of getting open and making plays similar to blhurns but better imo I think he ends up the best WR in my opinion!

I like Harry too. Not the cleanest prospect either but he’ll give you everything you want in a big bodied WR who will catch almost every contested ball. He’s a more polished AR15 right out the gate.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

There's a lot to like in Metcalf.

This is an amazing defensive draft, as far as DL go (inside and outside.)

Seems like we're always in a tough draft spot. Too high or low for the sweet spot, with few exceptions (Ramsey being perfect.)

Defense is hard to pass up at our position, but our needs are offense. I'd love to have Metcalf. But I think I'd prefer to trade out.

Maybe if the Foles thing really does happen, a QB will be there that a team would offer a nice trade for.

Doesn't fit our "luck," but IMO the best luck is the luck you make.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-05-2019, 08:10 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 04:21 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: He is an outside WR that is going to run GO/Post/Fade type routes he isn't going to be a slot/drag route WR...not that hard to see that.

The OC was a guy that never should have been hired and was on record stating that the WRs in his system basically run backyard routes and just free lance once the play starts....he basically says DK go deep left...Lodge go deep right...AJ go over the middle...if you look at all of the Ole Miss guys none of them ran complex route trees b/c the OC didn't require it and thats why he is gone and why an Ole Miss offense with 3 NFL WRS (DK, Brown, Lodge), NFL LT (Little), NFL RB (Wilkins last year), NFL TE (Knox), and 2 potential NFL QBs (Shea Patterson/Taamu) sucked.

You blame DK for a 50% catch rate which tells me you didn't watch the games just cut ups...look at the LSU game where the Taamu went 19/38 for 178 yards and Shea Patterson went 10/23 116 yards with 3 Ints...or the Bama game where the Taamu went 7/22 for 135 (92 of that being DK), or the MS State game where the QB went 8/17 for 87 yards and the true freshman came in for 5/8 65 yards....the point being you can't blame DK's production dropping when its obvious that the right side OL/QB really sucked when facing better defenses. As for the Cal game, DK went 3 for 125 yards and a TD...I'll take that every day.

And I don't get what is contradictory about a WR thats asked to go 30+ yards deep on every play to not get many accurate passes his way when the entire right side of the OL is a turnstile...that's what eventually got Taamu's ankle hurt.

No doubt he needs coaching with some of the routes but I don't think he is something of the Heyward-Bey level project.

Do you really watch the games? One of the interceptions in the LSU game was because of a dropped pass from DK where he literally gifted the ball to the DB. In the Cal game he was having the best game of his career (huge 70 yard chunk play early in the game BTW) until they switched to a smaller, more agile CB. DK couldn’t create any separation on his own afterwards outside of his arm bar. Do you think it’s going to get easier at the next level?
I think you need to rewatch the Cal game...the OL falling apart played a bigger factor in why no WRs had a big 2nd half than a CB swap.

The starting Center was out the 2nd half and Cal started bringing a ton of pressure and Patterson was running for his life. The offensive line basically went into shambles either committing penalties or giving up immediate pressure.

I'm not going to keep the back and forth up anymore but as an Ole Miss alumni I painfully watched all their games. DK was a stud on the field and I don't feel like he is some kind of project that needs 3 years worth of work to reach his potential.
Knox/Metcalf were basically wasted talents under the OC and I really think they will be much better pros than they were in college.

I'm not a huge Metcalf fan. He has ideal size and great straight-line speed, but he also has an injury history, he doesn't run good routes and he's not very fluid with his movements. IMO, he does the same kind of think Chark does. Gimme a guy who runs precise routes with quickness over speed who can be a redzone threat over Metcalf.

(03-06-2019, 08:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not a huge Metcalf fan. He has ideal size and great straight-line speed, but he also has an injury history, he doesn't run good routes and he's not very fluid with his movements. IMO, he does the same kind of think Chark does.  Gimme a guy who runs precise routes with quickness over speed who can be a redzone threat over Metcalf.

He definitely will go before the 4th round like you think

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 01:28 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-06-2019, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not a huge Metcalf fan. He has ideal size and great straight-line speed, but he also has an injury history, he doesn't run good routes and he's not very fluid with his movements. IMO, he does the same kind of think Chark does.  Gimme a guy who runs precise routes with quickness over speed who can be a redzone threat over Metcalf.

He definitely will go before the 4th round like you think

I now have him going #12 overall to Green Bay. They have possession type receivers, but lack a big, speed guy who can get deep. Rodgers needs a deep weapon and Metcalf would be a good fit there. I had him that low when I questioned his neck injury and speed. Now, that has been addressed.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM by JackCity.)

(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He definitely will go before the 4th round like you think

I now have him going #12 overall to Green Bay. They have possession type receivers, but lack a big, speed guy who can get deep. Rodgers needs a deep weapon and Metcalf would be a good fit there. I had him that low when I questioned his neck injury and speed. Now, that has been addressed.

MVS is 6'4 and runs a 4.3, played really well last year

not that it should exclude you from adding metcalf..

(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He definitely will go before the 4th round like you think

Metcalf wont fall past Buffalo.  Allen to Metcalf would be one of the scariest QB to WR combos in the league in a few years

(03-06-2019, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I now have him going #12 overall to Green Bay. They have possession type receivers, but lack a big, speed guy who can get deep. Rodgers needs a deep weapon and Metcalf would be a good fit there. I had him that low when I questioned his neck injury and speed. Now, that has been addressed.

Metcalf wont fall past Buffalo.  Allen to Metcalf would be one of the scariest QB to WR combos in the league in a few years

I have Buffalo taking Jawaan Taylor. Like Arizona, their O-Line was pathetic last year and their QB's had no time to throw. Their passing game will still be terrible, unless they can keep the pocket clean.

(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I now have him going #12 overall to Green Bay. They have possession type receivers, but lack a big, speed guy who can get deep. Rodgers needs a deep weapon and Metcalf would be a good fit there. I had him that low when I questioned his neck injury and speed. Now, that has been addressed.

So a QB with accuracy issues throwing to a WR who can't run routes?

I'm terrified.

That's a good one

There have been a lot of freakish athletes through the years that just didn't live up to the hype. I know someone will shoot me down, and smear my face into the mud for mentioning a few I recall off the top of my head. Tony Mandrich, Brian Bosworth ... Go ahead, start the smear. I just don't trust the hype train that goes with the freakish athlete.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 05:34 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000...20%251%24s

Was my favorite WR to come out since Cooper. I hope not reading up for this guy at the bottom of the 2nd wasn't a mistake. The giu has the potential to be the best WR in the league. As much as we needed a TE, trading up for this guy for our 1st 3rd and say a 3rd from next year I would of don it in a 2nd. Man I hope Dave made the right choice in selecting Oliver and not trading up for DK. I will proudly eat crow

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000...20%251%24s

Just have a feeling this guy is gonna dominate like Josh Gordon did

Tried to tell you. Game winner?

(09-15-2019, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tried to tell you.  Game winner?
Tried to say what? You said he wasn’t making it past Buffalo.

Dude caught a TD pass. Cool.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2019, 09:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-15-2019, 09:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 03:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tried to tell you.  Game winner?
Tried to say what? You said he wasn’t making it past Buffalo.

Dude caught a TD pass. Cool.

That hes the teuth.  Game winning TD in his 2nd game.  Had 90 yrds last week in his first game.  Metcalf is going to be a good one. Alot of teams are regretting passing on him

(03-06-2019, 02:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Metcalf wont fall past Buffalo.  Allen to Metcalf would be one of the scariest QB to WR combos in the league in a few years
So a QB with accuracy issues throwing to a WR who can't run routes?

I'm terrified.

900 yards and 7 TDs as a rookie.  Still think he's trash?

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2020, 08:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-03-2019, 01:25 AM)Upper Wrote: Metcalf could use some leaning down now. Those agility drill scores are pretty worrisome. Maybe being stronger than Trent Williams and heavier than Jaylon Smith isn't the most ideal for a WR.

How did those test work out for you?

(03-02-2019, 08:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 08:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Best WR prospect since Amari Cooper in 2015
Being big strong and fast doesn’t make you a great WR. You’re acting like Al Davis.

I’ll take Hakeem Butler over Metcalf all day.

Lol

Russell Wilson makes dk Metcalf look good. he only knows one route, a go route