Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Too much QB talk

yes jags need a QB that can win games for them. theres a major problom with getting a better QB.

you need a offenssive line that can protect the qb. Jags got a couple injurys ,and the offensseive line fall apart. The eagles had a bunch of injurys too this season,and are still winning. 

Jags need to get offenssive line man that can play first even if they are back ups. you can have the hottest QB in NFL,and still lose if you can't protect him.

Jags need better offenssive lineman first espaissely since jags seem to led league in injurys just about every year except for 2017.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Exactly. Look how much time and ease Luck had to throw against the Texans and compare that to what Bortles and Kessler have had in recent months.

Not to mention the running room too.

(01-06-2019, 10:26 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Exactly. Look how much time and ease Luck had to throw against the Texans and compare that to what Bortles and Kessler have had in recent months.

Not to mention the running room too.

Great offensive line and great QB performs better than bad line and bad QBs, more at 10!

We should talk WR's - and how it was a huge mistake signing Moncrief and Lee at exorbitant salaries instead of keeping Allen Robinson who had a monster game today.

I think our extremely predictable offensive scheme is as much to blame as the line and receivers. But it’s true, people are clamoring for Foles, who has Alshon Jeffery, Golden Tate, and Zach Ertz to throw to, a great O-Line, not to mention a great offensive minded head coach Doug Pederson, and now look at the Jags. We’ve had a terrible scheme with predictable playcalling, Blake Bell and O’Shaunnassey at TE, Undrafted Keelan Cole, Donte Moncrief, and Westbrook at receiver. I do think Westbrook can develop into a solid 2 or slot guy, but as of right now he’s nowhere close to having the same impact on the field as Tate, Jeffery, or Ertz for that matter. And we all know the story as far as the O-line goes. Now the QB position was definitely sub-par here this year, but it’s a mess around it too.

Even with our starting 5 linemen in, I think Bortles took a step back. QB talk is what we all need rn because no matter who is blocking, we don't have a guy who can play even remotely average on a consistent basis.

Take the Chargers game today, Rivers was harassed quite a bit in that game... But guess what? He only took 1 sack, moved his team down the field and put up points. He didn't throw a touchdown, but he also didn't throw a pick either. You need a QB who can do that, make the throws under pressure and move the offense.. You need to have a QB who can still complete 68% of his passes and still average over 7 ypc while playing mistake free against a top defense in 2019.

We need to hit on a QB in the draft, I don't want some washed up average vet at 20-25+ mil a year. Draft a good one, and then pay him in year 5/6.

Offensive line was decimated with injuries. Qe could stand to add one more quality starter, but without question quarterback is the bigger issue for us. Bortles did not take the leap we had all hoped he would, he regressed quite a bit and we need qb to be out number 1 priority in the offseason.

people need to stop useing the injury excause. how many injurys do eagles have a few. yet they still won division,made playoffs,and are still in playoffs. useing injurys as an excause to why team loses is that just an excause.

I think Lee and Westbrook are fine; they'll greatly benefit from a more accurate QB that can lead them with passes to utilize their YAC ability. If Chark takes the next step in his development there's a lot to like as far as him becoming that "true #1" guy. He's 6'4" ran a 4.34. he's a Julio Jones clone but is just a little raw, i think if he puts the work in during the offseason he could very well make Lee expendable come this time next year.

Agree that Oline needs to be addressed early in the draft. But we can't just ignore QB. It's THE enigma that will hold this team (and championship level defense) in purgatory until its settled. If we could trade down a few picks in the first round and grab Daniel Jones that might work out beautifully.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Injuries do affect wins and losses - that's real. Call it an excuse if you want. That's fine.  
But injuries matter to the outcome of games and records.
It absolutely changes the outcome of your team's season when your team has inadequate depth or -
when YOUR DEPTH ALSO GETS INJURED.
Which  ^ was indeed the case at several positions on the Jags offense.  (LT,LG,RT,TE,RB,WR)
When you're on your third guy at multiple positions on offense with a sketchy QB situation - you are going to struggle.
That should be easy to understand. There is a tipping point of "too many injuries to overcome" for every team.
Some teams have better depth than others and they may also have coaches more equipped to adapt gameplans to suit their backups.

And there will never be too much QB talk until we have one that's worthy of being called a "franchise QB."

And yes, of course the O-Line needs help. Much of this board has been saying that for years.

The f.o. has addressed the o-line repeatedly in recent years, but unfortunately many of the acquisitions didn't work out.

Getting that right goes hand in hand with upgrading the QB this offseason.

I agree that injuries are too often an excuse as all teams have injuries. However, they start to become more than just an excuse when you lose not only your starters, but your depth behind them as well.  With Cam, Norwell and Linder exptected to return healthy this for 2019, we should have the horses to be much better up front.

That said, there are a couple very attractice right tackles in free agency. It's not that Parnell was all that bad, but he's getting old and can be upgraded. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 06:19 PM by Mowerguy.)

And lord help us if they get hurt again.....please build some better depth.
Man ....did you see the rookie from  Notre Dame  dominate the line and keep luck safe? ...he looked like he had been there years.
Please Dave, find us one of these!  
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co...870430002/

from above article  "Guards don’t normally go that early, but Nelson isn’t normal. In his last two seasons at Notre Dame, Nelson allowed zero sacks.
[font=arial, sans-serif]And pass-protection isn’t his strong suit, if you can believe that. He’ll get better with time and technique, but Nelson’s strength at the moment isn’t standing up and backpedaling and buying time for the quarterback to throw. No, his strength is exploding into his defender, a box of dynamite delivered to the poor guy’s chest, and locking him up until the whistle blows...."[/font]
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-07-2019, 03:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I agree that injuries are too often an excuse as all teams have injuries. However, they start to become more than just an excuse when you lose not only your starters, but your depth behind them as well.  With Cam, Norwell and Linder exptected to return healthy this for 2019, we should have the horses to be much better up front.

That said, there are a couple very attractice right tackles in free agency. It's not that Parnell was all that bad, but he's getting old and can be upgraded. 

sometimes once a player gets hurt in the nfl it becomes a problom,and that player becomes injury prone.

(01-09-2019, 06:09 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: And lord help us if they get hurt again.....please build some better depth.
Man ....did you see the rookie from  Notre Dame  dominate the line and keep luck safe? ...he looked like he had been there years.
Please Dave, find us one of these!  
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co...870430002/

from above article  "Guards don’t normally go that early, but Nelson isn’t normal. In his last two seasons at Notre Dame, Nelson allowed zero sacks.
[font=arial, sans-serif]And pass-protection isn’t his strong suit, if you can believe that. He’ll get better with time and technique, but Nelson’s strength at the moment isn’t standing up and backpedaling and buying time for the quarterback to throw. No, his strength is exploding into his defender, a box of dynamite delivered to the poor guy’s chest, and locking him up until the whistle blows...."[/font]

How do you build better depth when you have to go 4 deep at each tackle spot?  There's only so much you can do there.  I'm not absolutely certain but I'd think the number and extent of injuries we had on the offensive line was unprecedented.  To wolf's point, injuries are an excuse if you have a couple here or there but to lose essentially one entire position group and most of their backups is really tough to account for.

I re-watched the Pats game last weekend. The difference in the offense was pretty remarkable.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I don't mean deeper.....I mean "better"...as in the quality of the player so if someone on the line does get hurt.
The next man up just isn't steam rolled.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

While you are correct that you need more than just the QB to win, having a generally above average to good supporting cast around any QB is really difficult. With salary caps, injuries and chemistry and all, there is typically constant turnover, and if can happen much faster than anyone can anticipate. Few teams maintain even a position group for longer than a few years or so.

That is why everyone is clamoring for the ideal QB. If they get an above average QB, you then have 5-10 to get the rest of pieces around them. True, there are not 32 Super Bowl winning QB's in the NFL and college right now. True, if you cannot get one, then you need to at least field a decent team and build a franchise culture of professionalism and at least some success.

But the next 2 years is the opening for the Jags to find that guy, so that will be everyone's focus.

Jags had one of the top pass blocking OLs in the league until around week 5 when the injuries started piling up. We were 3-1 and then lost what, 8 straight?

But sure Wolf, the injuries weren't a factor.....

There's injuries. And then there's being completely decimated and completely depleted at a position. You can only carry so many players with you on game day. And when you're down to street free agents coming on board around mid-October?

It's a tall order for any team to overcome. Ultimately. The entire offense needs a face lift in the months to come. Hopefully Coughlin can get it going here shortly. I don't think too many people were using injuries as an excuse though in 2018.

And obviously this front office wasn't using it as too much of an excuse neither. Otherwise you wouldn't have seen Hackett, Fewell, Flahtery and Wheatley all [BLEEP] canned.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 10:29 AM by snowwolf776.)

everyone wants jags to get the wrong qb too.. forget foles,forget flaco,forget haskins. Jags should get  Taysom Hill . he can do it all plus hes played behind a great qb just like rogers played behind fbrent favre.  even with a bad oline hill would be the prefect qb for jags. hes also built like a lb. yes keep bortles as a back up. get rid of kesslier.

(01-15-2019, 10:28 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: everyone wants jags to get the wrong qb too.. forget foles,forget flaco,forget haskins. Jags should get  Taysom Hill . he can do it all plus hes played behind a great qb just like rogers played behind fbrent favre.  even with a bad oline hill would be the prefect qb for jags. hes also built like a lb. yes keep bortles as a back up. get rid of kesslier.

Does this qualify as too much QB talk?

Tongue Banana