Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Todd Monken to interview for OC job

I'd be down for Monken as OC and Fitzpatrick as a bridge QB. He's about as good a bridge QB as anyone else out there, that won't cost an arm and a leg.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2019, 10:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 09:54 AM)NCJag Wrote: Reading where Kingsbury said he would take Kyler Murray with the #1 pick. Cards would possibly trade Rosen.  I just don't see Murray succeeding as an NFL QB.  5'9?  I dunno.  Wonder if the Cards would take 1/7 and Fournette for Rosen?  Murray, Johnson, Fournette, Fitzgerald....be a pretty legit offense.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814...urray-no-1

Why would they want Fournette? They have David Johnson. They need all kind of O-Linemen. They're as bad off as we are in this area. Rosen got smothered all year and Johnson had absolutely no lanes to run in.

David Johnson struggled just as bad as Fournette last year. He might just not be that good.  HE's had ONE good year in his career and made bank off of it.  AZ struggled with injuries on O-line last year too.  They were signing guys and plugging them in (not to the extent we were).

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(01-10-2019, 10:13 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 10:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Why would they want Fournette? They have David Johnson. They need all kind of O-Linemen. They're as bad off as we are in this area. Rosen got smothered all year and Johnson had absolutely no lanes to run in.

David Johnson struggled just as bad as Fournette last year. He might just not be that good.  HE's had ONE good year in his career and made bank off of it.  AZ struggled with injuries on O-line last year too.  They were signing guys and plugging them in (not to the extent we were).
No. David Johnson did not struggle just as bad.

In a down year for DJ he totaled just about 1,400 scrimmage yards and 10 TDs. 

In 2015 (not as the feature back) he had over 1,000 scrimmage yards and 12 TDs.
In 2016, he had over 2,000 scrimmage yards and 20 TDs.

DJ is elite and I think he will be back to usual self next season.

(01-10-2019, 09:54 AM)NCJag Wrote: Reading where Kingsbury said he would take Kyler Murray with the #1 pick. Cards would possibly trade Rosen.  I just don't see Murray succeeding as an NFL QB.  5'9?  I dunno.  Wonder if the Cards would take 1/7 and Fournette for Rosen?  Murray, Johnson, Fournette, Fitzgerald....be a pretty legit offense.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814...urray-no-1

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1083371872287367168

https://twitter.com/WillSelvaTV/status/1...8656872448

Not getting the vibe the cards are truly looking to move Rosen.

"Thrower of the football" is such a hilarious phrase.

Based on those statements the Cardinals need to look for another new Head Coach. God that guy sucks.

I understand him interviewing at the Browns. But won't Kitchens still want to call plays?

I'm not sure I see why Monken would take it, unless he thinks Baker is going to blow up next year and he can use that as spring board for a Head Coach job in 2020

(01-10-2019, 01:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I understand him interviewing at the Browns. But won't Kitchens still want to call plays?

I'm not sure I see why Monken would take it, unless he thinks Baker is going to blow up next year and he can use that as spring board for a Head Coach job in 2020

Living in Florida or living in Cleveland... make the obvious choice Todd

(01-10-2019, 01:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 01:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I understand him interviewing at the Browns. But won't Kitchens still want to call plays?

Living in Florida or living in Cleveland... make the obvious choice Todd

Offensively, Cleveland is by far the better option.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-10-2019, 01:32 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 01:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Living in Florida or living in Cleveland... make the obvious choice Todd

Offensively, Cleveland is by far the better option.

This ^. Coordinate an upcoming QB star or an unknown QB / possible BOAT? I think he goes Cleveland tbh....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Jags take another loss after the season ended

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Lots of moving parts to consider.

There are a number of ways the Jags could make the OC job in Jax more attractive than the Browns job.
First and foremo$t would be a hefty salary. Maybe an assistant HC title.
Furthermore they'd need to simply have the answers Monken wants to hear about QB acquisition, playbook design, and freedom to run his offense.

(01-10-2019, 02:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of moving parts to consider.

There are a number of ways the Jags could make the OC job in Jax more attractive than the Browns job.
First and foremo$t would be a hefty salary.  Maybe an assistant HC title.
Furthermore they'd need to simply have the answers Monken wants to hear about QB acquisition, playbook design, and freedom to run his offense.
I think this is being overlooked.

If Monken takes the Cleveland job, he's running whatever Kitchens has been doing. Hopefully Marrone is ready to give free reign of the offense and if so, Jacksonville is more enticing. Furthermore, if they tell Monken they're gonna try to bring in Fitz and Haskins, that could have even more appeal.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

Actually one thing to consider that I just though about, Cleveland moving their OC up to HC who Mayfield supposedly adores, could have an effect on the new OC. The HC may have more input and may want more control/say over the playcalls and such. So Monken may want to have more control over the offense. That could be the way he comes here. Maybe.

(01-10-2019, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I think this is being overlooked.

If Monken takes the Cleveland job, he's running whatever Kitchens has been doing. Hopefully Marrone is ready to give free reign of the offense and if so, Jacksonville is more enticing. Furthermore, if they tell Monken they're gonna try to bring in Fitz and Haskins, that could have even more appeal.

Well, I guess y'all beat me to it lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Yeah hopefully they offer him the opportunity to start with a blank page and shape an offense exactly how he wants it, including a decent amount of say in personnel decisions. That could certainly make it more appealing than essentially just running Kitchen's offense in Cleveland.

Also, Monken was seriously considered for many HC jobs this off-season, apparently the Packers job came down to him or La Fleur. He may see the situation as here as a chance to take over the head gig sooner rather than later.

Obviously I'm trying to be optimistic here

First and foremo$t would be a hefty salary. Maybe an assistant HC title.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer about it, but it can't be attractive for an elaborate offensive mind to come here so that he can have a Tom Coughlin or Doug Marrone restrict him. "Hey we need you to pretend its 1982, run a butt load of power run game and then we will blow the opposition's mind with a PLAY ACTION PASS about 4 times per game!" I don't love the offensive philosophy that we are committed to if I'm being honest. And I try to be as pro Jaguar as possible

(01-10-2019, 03:21 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Yeah hopefully they offer him the opportunity to start with a blank page and shape an offense exactly how he wants it, including a decent amount of say in personnel decisions. That could certainly make it more appealing than essentially just running Kitchen's offense in Cleveland.

Also, Monken was seriously considered for many HC jobs this off-season, apparently the Packers job came down to him or La Fleur. He may see the situation as here as a chance to take over the head gig sooner rather than later.

Obviously I'm trying to be optimistic here

Or they can pay him a lot more than other teams might offer.

Well the Browns have an infinitely better talent base to start with for one, and second he will get many years of leash with a new HC/regime/etc. With the Jags there is a very decent chance that the FO is gone after one more bad year and then he's out of a job.

(01-10-2019, 03:41 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer about it, but it can't be attractive for an elaborate offensive mind to come here so that he can have a Tom Coughlin or Doug Marrone restrict him. "Hey we need you to pretend its 1982, run a butt load of power run game and then we will blow the opposition's mind with a PLAY ACTION PASS about 4 times per game!" I don't love the offensive philosophy that we are committed to if I'm being honest. And I try to be as pro Jaguar as possible

Sure - if you assume that's the way the Jags brass will handle Monken - then of course this might not be an attractive situation. 

I'm not operating under that assumption. 

Coughlin ran some pretty dynamic passing attacks when he had the horses to pull it off.  Call me crazy - but I'm not completely sold on the idea that TC/Marrone wouldn't be willing to let a guy like Monken do his thing. Especially if they hit on a QB. 

The other thing folks need to understand is that they just fired the previous coordinator for being ineffective running what you've just said they'd demand of the next guy.  That doesn't make a ton of sense. If it didn't work then - don't you think they might be open to some change? 
While they certainly value the run - they are trying to hire someone that can run a balanced offense better than the last guy and that could certainly mean trusting a more pass-oriented OC to have some control.