Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trading Telvin

I got to thinking...

Instead of trading a player everyone thinks we don't want like Fournette, Bortles, Jackson or Gipson, how about trading a player everyone thinks we do want in Telvin Smith. Now, I don't mean that I don't want him... I do... but we can get some legit picks for Telvin, and LBs are often the easiest to replace on defense. He's carrying a $10 mil base salary in each of the next three seasons. That's money the Jaguars can use, but that teams looking to trade for him would see as a bargain for a player with his talent.

What do you think we could get for Telvin, and how might you go about replacing him?

Or, should I just put down the bong and get back to bed.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

NFL is weird with trades. Unfortunately, the Jags would not just clear up the cap room by trading him.

Plus LB's are very scheme specific and often not paid as much as Telvin. Few teams would think his contract is worth it even if he didn't have a down season.

Better off to see if he rebounds next year

Only way it would work is if we signed/drafted a true MLB and moved Jack to his more natural position. I just don't see it happening.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

People are screamimg that we need to move on from Fournette after a down year but completwly give Telvin a pass which makes 0 sense. At 215 pounds hes a SS playing LB.

He can get washed in the run game, and it seems like hes always im coverage when we get beat im the middle for chunk gains and key conversions. Hell have the occasional defensive TD that makes people briefly forget about his issues but bottom line is that he has been a liability for us.

Myles Jacks natural position is WLB, id rather trade telvin if only to shed his awful contract, move myles to WLB and draft a thumping MLB early, i think youd see our issues against the run improve drastically.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-09-2019, 11:50 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I got to thinking...

Instead of trading a player everyone thinks we don't want like Fournette, Bortles, Jackson or Gipson, how about trading a player everyone thinks we do want in Telvin Smith. Now, I don't mean that I don't want him... I do... but we can get some legit picks for Telvin, and LBs are often the easiest to replace on defense. He's carrying a $10 mil base salary in each of the next three seasons. That's money the Jaguars can use, but that teams looking to trade for him would see as a bargain for a player with his talent.

What do you think we could get for Telvin, and how might you go about replacing him?

I am starting to lean heavily into the idea that if Haskins is gone at 7, take Devin White, put him at MLB, let Jack move over, and Telvin becomes much more expendable. I agree with you, in that Telvin is a great player, and welcome him on the team, but if Jack is more talented, and we plan to extend him, we have to begin making difficult decisions like this.

I'd be happy with a day two pick for him, either a 2nd straight up, or a 3rd and a later pick. I may be underselling, I dunno, but I'm also factoring in the salary saved and how we use that to better the roster in my price.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 12:30 PM by JackCity.)

(01-09-2019, 12:20 PM)Firesky Wrote: People are screamimg that we need to move on from Fournette after a down year but completwly give Telvin a pass which makes 0 sense. At 215 pounds hes a SS playing LB.

He can get washed in the run game, and it seems like hes always im coverage when we get beat im the middle for chunk gains and key conversions. Hell have the occasional defensive TD that makes people briefly forget about his issues but bottom line is that he has been a liability for us.

Myles Jacks natural position is WLB, id rather trade telvin if only to shed his awful contract, move myles to WLB and draft a thumping MLB early, i think youd see our issues against the run improve drastically.

No point having a thumping MLB unless he can run and cover. Nickel backers will play 65%+ of snaps

He had a down year but still had stretches of fantastic play between the mistakes.

With all the needs on offense to address, finding a top notch LB may be asking too much this offseason.

I was frustrated with the lapses in run fits and coverage gaffs in 2018 but I think you have to find a pretty special MLB to move Jack to Will.
Is there one in this draft? Do you want to spend that pick on defense?

Dude had a career high 134 tackles and 2 ints last season.

Why does everyone think he had such a down year last season? Personally, I think he had to carry a lot of the LB load as we are still in search of a decent 3rd LB that is viable in the starting role.

(01-09-2019, 12:48 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Dude had a career high 134 tackles and 2 ints last season.

Why does everyone think he had such a down year last season?  Personally, I think he had to carry a lot of the LB load as we are still in search of a decent 3rd LB that is viable in the starting role.

He had some bad plays in coverage, and since we're a 5-11 team. It's a big deal.

If we were 11-5 he'd probably be back in the pro bowl.

(01-09-2019, 12:48 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Dude had a career high 134 tackles and 2 ints last season.

Why does everyone think he had such a down year last season?  Personally, I think he had to carry a lot of the LB load as we are still in search of a decent 3rd LB that is viable in the starting role.

He definitely had a down year. Missed tons of tackles (more than usual) and was horrible in coverage.

Compared to 2017 he had a high number of bad gap fits and instances of being out of position in coverage. Gave up some big plays in the process. 

I thought it was a pretty stark difference in his consistency.

Can anyone who knows about these things explain how a Telvin trade would affect our cap? I can never work it out and I'm too lazy.

As it goes, if it does significantly help us financially I would be fine trading him away. Would like at least a 3rd round pick tho.

I wouldn't trade him even though I found myself yelling at him quite often during the season. He is just miscast. I think getting a true MLB and swapping him to the weak side would benefit him and the team. We also can't underestimate what his personality brings to the defense as a unit.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-09-2019, 01:25 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I wouldn't trade him even though I found myself yelling at him quite often during the season. He is just miscast. I think getting a true MLB and swapping him to the weak side would benefit him and the team. We also can't underestimate what his personality brings to the defense as a unit.

Telvin plays weakside

(01-09-2019, 12:20 PM)Firesky Wrote: People are screamimg that we need to move on from Fournette after a down year but completwly give Telvin a pass which makes 0 sense. At 215 pounds hes a SS playing LB.

That is totally and absolutely correct.   The only caveat I would have is that we have so many needs on offense, acquiring a "real" MLB might be lower on the list of priorities than it might be otherwise.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 03:02 PM by p_rushing.)

(01-09-2019, 01:07 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Can anyone who knows about these things explain how a Telvin trade would affect our cap? I can never work it out and I'm too lazy.

As it goes, if it does significantly help us financially I would be fine trading him away. Would like at least a 3rd round pick tho.

All future money goes to the new team, Jags are only left with the remaining signing bonus

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...ith-14555/
He has a ~$4 million signing bonus, so Jags still have to account for ~$2.4 million
*I'm not sure on his other $2 million bonus per year. I believe it was a $8 million roster bonus paid out in 2018, so Jags would also have to account for the rest

Telvin had one bad year (really bad), but I'm willing to give him another year to prove it was an exception.

Cutting all of our starters because we had a bad season wont make us better because we'll have more money to spend next year. As bad as Telvin was this year, the chances a rookie comes in and can even reach that level is unlikely.

(01-09-2019, 02:41 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 01:07 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Can anyone who knows about these things explain how a Telvin trade would affect our cap? I can never work it out and I'm too lazy.

All future money goes to the new team, Jags are only left with the remaining signing bonus

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...ith-14555/
He has a ~$4 million signing bonus, so Jags still have to account for ~$2.4 million
*I'm not sure on his other $2 million bonus per year. I believe it was a $8 million roster bonus paid out in 2018, so Jags would also have to account for the rest

Precisely. So there's $6 mil left from that roster bonus plus the original $2.4 mil amortization which together would leave him with an $8.4 mil dead money hit this season. However, that's still over $4 mil in savings this offseason along with saving on his $13 mil cap hits in 2020 and 21.  His new team would then take over his $10 mil per year base salaries. 
'02

(01-09-2019, 11:50 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I got to thinking...

Two things. 

First. I think Telvin would be worth no less than a 2nd RD pick. 

Secondly. Put away the bong. But invest in edibles. It'll go a long way my friend for what you're dealing with. I know it's off topic. But I am proud of you. Keep up the good work!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."