Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's short list Supreme Court Justice this year

Well ya have to figure, wont be long till we have to insert  the next person up.

Who do ya think Trump will choose to fill the next  Supreme Court Justice seat?

What is The Dems short list, to NOT fill the next  Supreme Court Justice seat!
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Part of me thinks Barrett would have initially been the pick, but I kind of feel like Trump will pick another male just to troll the democrats into trying to pull another Kavanaugh debacle. Gender doesn't matter much to me, but I do see the appeal of another female on the court to replace RBG when she retires in a couple months.

Democrats don't want to confirm anyone to the Supreme Court until after 2020 election
this is the end game, which means them stupid dems don't have a short list they don't want in the Supreme Court Justice seat
which also means they used up the attempted mulligan already
the path is opening wider each day
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”

(01-09-2019, 05:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Part of me thinks Barrett would have initially been the pick, but I kind of feel like Trump will pick another male just to troll the democrats into trying to pull another Kavanaugh debacle. Gender doesn't matter much to me, but I do see the appeal of another female on the court to replace RBG when she retires in a couple months.

Nah, it would still be Barrett. There's no challenging her credentials or character, only the extent to which her personal beliefs would affect her demeanor on the bench. The greatest troll of all for Trump would be sending someone that the Democrats absolutely do not want on the bench but have no way to stop the nomination of.

Speaking of, I can't recall, is the simple majority to confirm a justice written into the Constitution? If not, I'd love to see us go to a supermajority system. "But TJ, no one would ever get confirmed again." Sure they would. Both sides would just have to work together to find the best legal minds instead of working separately to find the best partisan minds for the job.

(01-09-2019, 10:57 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 05:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Part of me thinks Barrett would have initially been the pick, but I kind of feel like Trump will pick another male just to troll the democrats into trying to pull another Kavanaugh debacle. Gender doesn't matter much to me, but I do see the appeal of another female on the court to replace RBG when she retires in a couple months.

Nah, it would still be Barrett. There's no challenging her credentials or character, only the extent to which her personal beliefs would affect her demeanor on the bench. The greatest troll of all for Trump would be sending someone that the Democrats absolutely do not want on the bench but have no way to stop the nomination of.

Speaking of, I can't recall, is the simple majority to confirm a justice written into the Constitution? If not, I'd love to see us go to a supermajority system. "But TJ, no one would ever get confirmed again." Sure they would. Both sides would just have to work together to find the best legal minds instead of working separately to find the best partisan minds for the job.

The constitution does not specify a threshold for confirming judges.  Where it is silent, each house of Congress is free to make its own rules.  The rules used to say 60 votes.  Now they say 51.  They'll never say less than 50% + 1 just due to the logic of it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 01:12 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Rumors swirling about RBG....

Trump will nominate a moderate in exchange for 25 billion for a border wall and complete immigration reform.

(01-09-2019, 11:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 10:57 PM)TJBender Wrote: Nah, it would still be Barrett. There's no challenging her credentials or character, only the extent to which her personal beliefs would affect her demeanor on the bench. The greatest troll of all for Trump would be sending someone that the Democrats absolutely do not want on the bench but have no way to stop the nomination of.

The constitution does not specify a threshold for confirming judges.  Where it is silent, each house of Congress is free to make its own rules.  The rules used to say 60 votes.  Now they say 51.  They'll never say less than 50% + 1 just due to the logic of it.

The Constitution says advice and consent. You are right that there is no threshold specified. While traditionally the Senate has voted on the judges, that's not specified either, so in theory the Majority leader could singlehandedly be the one making the decision.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(01-11-2019, 09:06 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 11:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: The constitution does not specify a threshold for confirming judges.  Where it is silent, each house of Congress is free to make its own rules.  The rules used to say 60 votes.  Now they say 51.  They'll never say less than 50% + 1 just due to the logic of it.

The Constitution says advice and consent. You are right that there is no threshold specified. While traditionally the Senate has voted on the judges, that's not specified either, so in theory the Majority leader could singlehandedly be the one making the decision.

We'd find out pretty quickly what the current justices think of their new coworker.

Well ya have to figure, wont be long till we have to insert the next person up.

Who do ya think Trump will choose to fill the next Supreme Court Justice seat?

What is The Dems short list, to NOT fill the next Supreme Court Justice seat!

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconse...qISMzAf66g